Jul

The Year of the Grand Slam continues in win over Blue Jays

"Your name's Ver-non, clap clap clapclapclap" (Photo Credit: Frank Franklin II, AP)

Seriously, who saw that coming from Brett Gardner? So awesome, 2010 really is The Year of the Grand Slam. That makes eight now. Eight! On July 3rd! It was like a big offensive weight lifted off everyone’s shoulders too. The Yankees had just a two run lead at the time, which is far from a sure thing give how many innings were left and how the bullpen has performed. So yeah, it was good to have a comfortable lead for once.

Some other random thoughts and notes…

• Moment that is sure to be forgotten: Chad Huffman’s diving/flopping catch in the 1st. If that drops in, two runs score and the Yankees are suddenly looking at a four run deficit before they even come to bat. The game would have had a very different feel then.
  • Derek Jeter drew three walks (in the first three innings, no less), giving him 11 walks in his last 11 games and 22 in the team’s last 40 games. He has just nine walks in their first 40 games.
  • Alex Rodriguez sure is good at getting the opposition to drop routine pop ups, eh? In all seriousness, that’s what Cito Gaston gets for playing John McDonald, a career infielder, in leftfield. The guy had his flip-down shades on, but didn’t flip them down!
  • I only saw Dustin Moseley’s first inning of work, but it was hard not to be impressed. Five total pitches, one strikeout, two broken bat ground outs.
  • Apparently Jorge Posada played an inning at first, and wasn’t tested at all. Chad Huffman has played a ton of first in the minors, but I guess Joe Girardi really wanted to give Curtis Granderson that inning of rest. That’s fine, I just wish I could have seen Posada at first.
Categories : Game Stories

1. Pat D says:

Momentum for tomorrow!

Please?

2. ultimate913 says:

It seems like the grand slams are taking the place of last years walk-offs. So here is who I believe is left to hit one(of the starters):

Jeter
    Swisher
    Cano?

Wow. Is that really it or am I missing someone?

3. JGS says:

Number of career grand slams for Brett Gardner = number of career grand slams for Derek Jeter

This was Gardner’s 7th career home run. I am amused.

4. Joe says:

It wold be interesting to see Jeter react to the pie in the face.

5. darl says:

I just want to point out an earlier RAB thread from January.

WTG Brett

6. Jorge’s play first here and there over the years but I confess I have no real memories of his time there. I just know it’s happened and that I’ve seen it happen.

• Jimmy says:

When he hurt his shoulder 2 years ago. Couple of times last year.

• Mattchu12 says:

And it was like watching a fish out of water. My mind kept going “where’s his catching gear?” and then realizing he was at first base, which was quickly followed by “where’s his catching gear?”

7. Cecala says:

Before the game I was thinking it would be a nice day for Gardner to hit a HR like how I did the last time when he did hit the HR but I wasnt on RAB as I was in my pool. I wish I commented it today so I can be 2/2 =/.

8. Pete says:

Also worth noting: John McDonald is, IIRC, an extreeeemely good defensive SS. Though admittedly so is Alex Gonzalez

9. Jake H says:

Great win. Hopefully this jump starts the offense. I am liking Jeter and the walks. That is a great sign.

10. Andrew says:

i was at the game and jesus the place just erupted after gardy hit the grand slam. it was awesome.