Aug

Game 115: Keep it going

(AP Photo/Amy Sancetta)

Considering the general mood around the interweb about the Yankees in the last few days, you’d be hard pressed to believe that they’re actually 4-2 in their last six games. I know, crazy, right?

The goal of tonight’s game is to simply keep the good times going. Dustin Moseley will take his Aaron Small act on the road to Kansas City to face the imminently beatable Kyle Davies, and tonight Joe Girardi will have Mariano Rivera at his disposal. It would be nice to give Mo another day off though, he has worked in four of the last six games after all, so a sizable lead and some Chad Gaudin action in the late innings would be welcome. We fans need an easy win, August has been stressful as hell.

Here’s the starting nine…

Jeter, SS
Granderson, CF
Teixeira, 1B
A-Rod, 3B
Cano, 2B
Posada, C
Berkman, DH
Kearns, RF
Gardner, LF

And on the mound, it’s Dustin Moseley.

First pitch is scheduled for a little after 8pm ET on what I’m sure is another sweltering hot night in Kansas City. YES has the broadcast, as they almost always do. Enjoy.

Update (11:45 p.m.): After a lengthy rain delay, the Yankees and the Royals will resume play at approximately midnight eastern time. The Royals are leading 4-3 with a runner out and one out in the bottom of the 5th. Chad Gaudin is currently warming for the Yankees in the bullpen.

Update (11:57 p.m.): Just kidding about that midnight start time. With lightning nearby, Joe Girardi pulled the team off the field, and the grounds crew has put the tarp back on. We wait.

Update (12:30 a.m.): Game on.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Tom Zig says:

Swisher getting the night off?

2. bexarama says:

Let’s win this for Andy Pettitte’s groin!!!!

• Kiersten says:

He needs to be fired. Now.

This is right up there with Imus’s comments. It’s bullshit and can’t be tolerated in 2010.

• Poopy Pants says:

Imus said nothing wrong. I’m being 100% serious.
        The problem with firing him for telling a completely harmless joke is that now EVERYONE wants to fire EVERYONE who says anything. Everyone needs to relax and get thicker skin.

• Yeah, just stop being so hypersensitive and get a sense of humor!

Sincerely,
          Dr. Laura

• UncleArgyle says:

lol yeah good luck that

• Kiersten says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say you’re a male.

And probably white.

• Poopy Pants says:

Yes. And I know it’s a major crime to be that in 2010.

• Kiersten says:

Can you explain how calling black female athletes “nappy-headed h**s” is saying nothing wrong?

• Poopy Pants says:

This question is shocking to me in 2010 and honestly, sad.

Please don’t ever run for office or have children.

• Poopy Pants says:

It’s a joke. Jokes are harmless. Stick and stones.

He wasn’t trying to be poignant and say that all young black women were literally nhh’s. It was a throw away line in a long line of jokes that may or may not have been funny. It doesn’t even matter if the joke was funny or not. I personally don’t listen to his show. I’m not a fan at all.

The girls are ugly. He used language that ‘some people’ (I wonder who he learned it from?) use openly to illustrate that. There was no FCC violation.
                    I guarantee if Imus was black he wouldn’t have been fired. It would have been a non-story (see: Snoop Dog’s career)
                    There is freedom of speech in America, but it depends on your color of skin. Imus is held to a higher standard because he’s white. It is amazingly racist to treat groups of people differently based on skin color.
                    It’s very disingenuous. I find that thinking to be disgusting.

For Al Sharpton to attack sponsors of his show based on such an unbalanced and dishonest way of thinking is terrible, in my opinion. Listeners of the Imus show certainly didn’t contact the sponsors in outrage. Al Sharpton attacked them with the r word.

• It’s a joke. Jokes are harmless. Stick and stones.

That’s far easier to say when you aren’t the butt of racially charged jokes. It’s hard for a white person to empathize with how the Rutgers girls felt about that joke because there’s no corresponding parallel racial joke that you can make about a white girl

You’re right, it doesn’t matter. What matters is, it was offensive, and being offensive isn’t illegal, but it is bad for business. Imus’s offensiveness drove sponsors away from his show because they didn’t want to be associated with his racially charged trope (and this isn’t the first time he’s demeaned black women, BTW). And driving your sponsors away through a pattern of offensive behavior to a certain demographic is most definitely a firable offense, because it’s bad for the bottom line.

I personally don’t listen to his show. I’m not a fan at all.

Neither do I, and neither am I. Not relevant.

But the language he used referred to their blackness being a factor in their ugliness, and that was the problem. Had he simply said “Those girls are ugly”, he wouldn’t have been in hot water. He referred to them as “nappy headed”, however, and that claims that their blackness is tied to their ugliness. That’s why it’s not just a harmless joke, it’s a racist reinforcement of stereotypical prejudices about black women being fundamentally less attractive or desirable than white women.

There was no FCC violation.

I’m wasn’t asking for him to be fined or jailed. Nor was I demanding that the government step in and force CBS Radio to fire him. But I fully support their right to fire him, because his racist comments were violations of the company code of conduct.

I guarantee if Imus was black he wouldn’t have been fired.

I guarantee if Imus was black, he wouldn’t have said it, because he would have known what the fuck it meant and how racist and ignorant it was.

It would have been a non-story (see: Snoop Dogg’s career)

Not remotely equivalent. But if Snoop said something truly beyond the pale, he’d get dropped from his recording contract (like what happened to Ice-T for Cop Killer, for example).

There is freedom of speech in America, but it depends on your color of skin.

Freedom of Speech is not the issue. Nobody wants Imus jailed. Everyone defends his right to speak his mind. He does not have a constitutional guarantee of employment, though. You have a right to say what you want, but your employer also has a right to fire you for what you say.

Imus is held to a higher standard because he’s white.

Not fucking remotely. I have no idea where you arrived at this batshit insane idea.

Exactly, which is why Don Imus shouldn’t have called a team of all-black college basketball girls “ugly nappy-headed hoes”.

“Group A can say Phrase X b/c we hold them to a higher standard. Group B can say it all they want and we’ll be fine with it b/c they are just a bunch of uneducated fools and it’s charming and reinforces my own prejudices.” Snoop Dog is the perfect example. Pulling young black women around on dog leashes is acceptable b/c the expectations for ‘his kind’ are so low. In fact, he’s celebrated in our society and appearing in more and more commercials. Amazing. It’s very disingenuous. I find that thinking to be disgusting.

This part is a far different tangent that I’d be happy to get into ex-parte with you (because it’s too lengthy to handle a short back and forth of a message board format) but you’re making some huge, broad generalizations that just aren’t true. Like, for example, that black people are monolithically A-Ok with rappers calling black women bitches and hoes (we aren’t), or that there’s a sociological concept of groupspeak that exists outside of the construct of race (basically, yes, it’s different when you say it because you’re not one of us and we don’t mean it the way you mean it), or that the proliferation of misogynistic lyrics is a black phenomenon (when the biggest purchasers of rap music has always been white teenagers), etc.

None of this is relevant to the Imus situation, however. Show me a black radio personality who did something he did and didn’t get fired. You can’t, because he doesn’t exist.

What Al Sharpton says is irrelevant as well. He’s an opportunist, but he wouldn’t have mattered had Don Imus not given him ample opportunity.

• Sorry, this part is confusingly worded. Let me rephrase:

You’re making some huge, broad generalizations that just aren’t true. Like that black people are monolithically A-Ok with rappers calling black women bitches and hoes (we aren’t), or that the proliferation of misogynistic lyrics is a black phenomenon (when the biggest purchasers of rap music has always been white teenagers).

Lastly, there is a sociological concept of groupspeak that exists outside of the construct of race. Meaning that there are different levels of acceptance of language based on the speaker and his/her role in relation to the group.

So it’s more offensive when a white person uses racially charged language about a black person than when a black person does it about a black person, because there’s an implicit reciprocity inside the group that doesn’t exist outside it. It’s similar to a bunch of women calling each other bitches amongst themselves; they don’t actually mean bitch in a demeaning way when they do it. It’s done ironically.

This doesn’t mean that it’s ALWAYS permissible; Snoop Dogg calling a woman a hoe isn’t groupspeak (because he’s not a woman), it’s meant to be demeaning. And he’s been taken to task for that. He still sells records (just like Don Imus still has a radio program) because there’s a market for mysogyny, but don’t assume that that market is a market of black people. It’s a market of misogynistic people (black, white, latino, asian, etc.) And Snoop Dogg dropping the n-word isn’t always permissible either; several black people hate it. But I won’t get as bent out of shape about Snoop using the n-word as I would about Don Imus using it, because Snoop at least knows and understands the sting of the word having had it used against him. That alters the calculus a bit. How much it alters it depends on each individual person.

Like I said, this issue is far more complex, but it’s not the issue at hand. Don Imus’s problem wasn’t that he called black women hoes (like many other people have done), it’s that he called them nappy headed and ugly and equated those two concepts as interlocked.

That their blackness contributed to their ugliness.

Don Imus’s problem is that he picked on a team full of black women and attacked them for fundamentally being non-beautiful in a way he never would have with a team full of white women.

That’s why his little one-off joke was racist, because it revealed the racist way his mind works (like when he called Gwen Ifill a “cleaning lady”).

• Chris says:

My only problem with firing him is that he was paid and encouraged to push the line. He said so many offensive, crude, racist things on the air, was that comment significantly worse than a lot of the other stuff he said?

• TERPSandYANKSfan says:

He should just be fired for sucking at his job. The recent comments are wrong, but minor.

• Kit says:

I hope he was high. That’s the only way that I might overlook that comment.

• bexarama says:

To me, it’s just… no. I don’t remember if you were here for it, but this makes me think of that time during Teixeira’s struggles when this blog said it was “unacceptable” and we all got into a debate about what “unacceptable” really means and whether Teixeira’s struggles were actually unacceptable.

Rob Dibble’s comments? Pretty fuckin’ unacceptable.

• bexarama says:

Also I feel bad getting my feminist rage on after the comment about Pettitte’s groin above. :/

• Kit says:

It was just unfortunate timing. You don’t watch games simply to watch the ballplayers parade around in comfortably fitted clothing. You actually know about baseball, more than some of the guys I know.

• bexarama says:

That, thanks. :D

I’m a non-blind straight female. Some baseball players are terribly attractive. I’m gonna talk about it. I don’t mind if dudes talk about attractive women as long as they’re not disgustingly objectifying them. The attractive guys aren’t the only reason I like baseball. I mean, I’d love the Yankees even if they all looked like Nick Johnson.

I just feel vaguely hypocritical. :/

• Kit says:

I understand. It’s about the game for me as well, even if they did all look like Nick Johnson. The fact that most of these guys are young and attractive is their parents’ fault for merging chromosomes, not mine. If I happen to look, you can’t fault me. Men compliment women for their looks all the time, so I am allowed to do the same. That being said, I’m a fan of the game, not because men play it, but because it’s fun to watch and decipher.

• Kit says:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s acceptable either way, but saying something stupid on TV usually goes hand in hand with either being brain dead since birth, high or drunk. Since he can speak and read, I went with high. I think too highly of people sometimes. He’s not forgiven though.

• Rob Dibble’s comments? Pretty fuckin’ unacceptable.

That. And yes, just like Imus, he should be fired. Not for having an opinion, but for having an opinion that’s dumb and not in line with the corporate culture and business goals of the organization who employs him.

Dibble should be fired for the same reason Imus was fired: because being an ignorant jerk is bad for business. He reflects poorly on the Nationals, like Imus reflected poorly on CBS.

• TERPSandYANKSfan says:

I live in the DC area, and I used to watch the Orioles just so I did not have to listen to him. He blows.

• Rich M says:

Fun fact: Rob Dibble and Carl Pavano went to the same high school in Connecticut

• Brad Toughy says:

As far as I know, Ron Dibble hasn’t said anything that warrants a bite. In fact, you’ve just implicated someone who you’ve probably never heard of.

If you’re going to be mad at someone, at least make it the right person.

3. I’m enjoying listening to Kevin Long discuss hitting mechanics way too much.

4. Murakami says:

Having to actually be Rob Dibble seems to me punishment enough.

5. Mariano's Pimp Hand says:

The Baltimore Showalters jump out to a 4-0 lead on the Rays.

6. Mike Axisa says:

J.R. Murphy is having himself quite a night.

7. I’m pulling for Blanco.

In fact, all three of my favorite non-Yankee baseball teams (Royals, Pirates, Nationals) seem to be assembling very nice classes of young talent.

Alvarez and Tabata FTW.

8. Kevin in Delectable Princeton says:

Man, Robby hits one on the screws and it’s caught, but Blanco gets a hit on a bajillion hopper up the middle.

9. The entire Royals org has nothing but warning-track power.

Hosmer and Moustakas can’t get here soon enough.

10. Wooderson says:

ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT

11. Cy Pettitte says:

BG! nice throw

12. Kevin in Delectable Princeton says:

Gardner? More like Brett GUNNER! Eh? Eh? Good one right?

13. nsalem says:

Melky!!!!!!!!

14. bexarama says:

Whoah, that was AWESOME. I thought he had no chance.

And Posada actually held on to the ball and didn’t tag himself like a dumbass!!!!!! (I love you, Jorge.)

15. whozat says:

I love that Betemit hits cleanup for them.

16. whozat says:

Sweet strike:ball ratio, Dustin

17. Mike Axisa says:

Sheesh, even the outs are hit hard.

18. Pat D says:

Sorry, I’m late to the game here (still at work and supposed to be working and all), but where were these Dibble comments made? In print or on the air? And if so, does someone have a direct link? My dad’s out of town till Monday and I want to share this with him.

19. bexarama says:

Kim Jones looks adorable!

I’m just bein’ a girl all over this thread.

20. Cnight_UP says:

Strike zone is all over the place….

21. 28 in '10 says:

Can’t find a Betemit is hitting .341! Wow, just wow. Somehow, Kenny Williams is still a GM.

22. bexarama says:

Royals are a PITA

23. Reggie C. says:

Wow. Michael Ynoa is going to undergo TJS later this month.

I remember him being described as a phenom, partly due to his physical tools. I guess his arm wasn’t ready to handle the velocity.
    /sleptatholidayinnexpress

• 28 in '10 says:

Nice. I remember being a little disappointed we didn’t get him…that was the year after we picked Montero, I believe.

24. Pat D says:

Hmm. My phone is showing me bad things.

Is it ok to start panicking now?

/whoever here always panics’d

25. I was hoping to stave off Dustin Moseley’s regression to the mean for a few more starts.

Alas…

26. Mushy Carl says:

Moseley can’t keep the ball down today :(

27. Cnight_UP says:

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SUCKS!!!

28. Brent says:

Typical Posada paralyzing the running game.

29. Here we go, boys… let’s make something happen here.

30. bexarama says:

Ugh, I can’t stand it when pitchers show up their fielders. Davies, you are a jackass.

31. Mushy Carl says:

lol @ A-Rod doing the KC hand claps

32. wow says:

that’s how you do.

33. nsalem says:

The regressing ARod 1 rbi from the lead league

34. Kit says:

I went to grab some extremely late dinner. Can anyone fill me in on how we scored 2?

35. Karma’s a bitch, ain’t it Davies?

36. larryf says:

Showalter gettin’ it done for us tonight. 4-0 in the 7th

37. Mushy Carl says:

wooo Puma!

38. Mike Axisa says:

Fat Elvis gets in on the fun.

39. wow says:

there ya go!!!

40. Reggie C. says:

Did Berkman just contribute?

WAAAAAAAAAT! Cool.

41. larryf says:

I like Lancelot…

42. Cnight_UP says:

Yankees win this game 12-7, book it…

43. Random note while he’s up at-bat: did anyone notice how much chew Kearns had in his mouth during his interview? Nasty.

44. Mike Axisa says:

Too close to take, Austin.

45. wow says:

someone had to stop it…

46. Cnight_UP says:

Baltimore now up 5 nill….

47. Chip says:

Kearns isn’t using enough protection

48. bexarama says:

Whoah, the Mets have won two in a row O_O

Their season makes no sense to me.

49. matt montero says:

Whats the point of the fountains when its already raining?

50. Pat D says:

Is it raining?

51. Reggie C. says:

Lets say Moseley’s done for the night.

Does Gaudin go for the rest of the game?

52. j_Yankees says:

Well…lets be honest. Gaudin was probably going to get in this game anyway.

53. JobaWockeeZ says:

So everyone except the Yankees can hit James Shields huh?

54. Pat D says:

Should we start taking bets on whose Yankeeography they’ll show while waiting out the delay?

55. phughesisgod says:

Heh, at least I have something to do during the rain delay, re-pwning my ipod, its too fun, lol.

56. JobaWockeeZ says:

Haha karma’s a bitch Beckett. Fucker.

57. phughesisgod says:

Ugh, Tampa’s unis look AWFUL! tonight. Those things are downright disgusting. Bud Selig should ban those things from baseball, lol. On the other hand, I actually kind of like the Orioles unis tonight.

58. bexarama says:

I just turned on Dodgers/Braves. And after last night… Broxton is warming up in the bullpen. Of course he is.

• bexarama says:

…now he’s pitching. Why????

• Kit says:

I sometimes feel bad for Broxton (especially after the Yankees game), but I can’t tell if he genuinely deserves the sympathy or if I just feel bad because he’s working under Torre’s bullpen management of doom.

• bexarama says:

Oh I feel terrible for him. He seems like one of the organization’s scapegoats along with Kemp. I mean, Kemp was getting dumped on for last night’s loss… when he went 3-for-5 with a homer. What?

It doesn’t help that the dumb Dodger fans think Broxton sucks and is a choker (well, he’s sucked since that Yankee series, but he certainly didn’t beforehand).

• Kit says:

I agree with you on the Broxton scapegoat thing, and I kind of agree on the Kemp thing, but at the same time I think Kemp has a bit of an attitude and gets in his own way. Sometimes he does it with reasonable motives, but he seems to be a bit of a complainer. I don’t know, it’s just my perception, so I might be completely wrong.

• Perhaps the lesson of this story is “Don’t let Joe Torre manage your team anymore, he’s gone senile”.

• Kit says:

That probably is the lesson, which makes me sad, but also very happy the Yankees and Torre have gone their separate ways.

• bexarama says:

Oh, I think Kemp seems like he has a bit of an attitude too, and there’s no doubt this year’s been a disappointment for him.

That said, when Torre benches him over and over for no reason, and when the GM (I think? maybe the owner) called him out earlier in the season when he was hitting incredibly well, that’s not Kemp’s fault.

• Kit says:

I agree with you there. The attitude may be just a reaction from being benched over and over without him doing anything wrong and being called out for no reason, as well as being used as a scapegoat when he’s obviously trying.

• Jerome S says:

He deserves the sympathy. If he was working under more cautious management, there’s no way he’d be pitching so bad as of late. He’s not meant to throw so much; I doubt Torre cares. He just seems to be pushing the envelope…

• Hall and Nokes says:

They don’t have much to worry about with the Braves–not much offense to be had there. Hell of a pitching staff, though.

• bexarama says:

It’s not so much “oh the Braves are such a feared offense” as much as Broxton had a pretty high-stress outing last night where I’d estimate he threw a bunch of pitches. I understand getting the pitchers right back out there, but it just seems like Torre is really going out of his way to kill Broxton’s arm.

59. ThrillHouseMD says:

LOL Beckett

60. Cnight_UP says:

Beckett getting shelled again…

61. Mike Axisa says:

Good trivia. A-Rod and Sheff? Otherwise I’ll guess Maris and Mantle.

62. Mike Axisa says:

Stop bunting Derek. That was awful.

63. Jerome S says:

well, THAT was interesting. Derek should’ve have just tried to hit it since Kyle Davies is throwing meatballs.

64. That half-inning was going swimmingly until we decided to give the Royals an out.

Summamabitch.

65. I have no idea why that girl is rapping in that Hyundai commercial. I can’t imagine ever taking a test drive of a car and breaking into spontaneous freestyle rap about it to my friend in the passenger seat about the virtues and cost-effectiveness of the car we are driving.

66. Orlando says:

oh Moseley?????????

67. JobaWockeeZ says:

Watch Jorge, that’s how you complete a run down.

68. I hope Jorge was taking notes during that rundown.

69. MikeD says:

Hmmm, nice play by Tex, but me things he never touched the bag at first on the initial play. The ball bounced, yes?

70. Orlando says:

Tex is the fucking man @ first!!!

71. Heh: The trivia answer was wrong, and Pat D was right.

In 2007, ARod’s 143 runs scored lead the AL, and Bobby Abreu’s 123 was second.

(Who was third, you ask? Curtis Granderson, that’s who.)

72. YES cameras got a little excited on that one.

73. Orlando says:

fucking Buck Showalter……9-2 sin taking over….

74. bexarama says:

Oh screw you Blanco.

75. Orlando says:

put me down for a Berkman bomb.

76. MikeD says:

Rain again? Jorge, hit a HR.

77. RalphieD says:

both pitchers have become beasts since the rain stopped…does that mean if it starts again they will start sucking again?

78. Orlando says:

maybe the Orioles can wear those uni’s the rest of the weekend. Are the uniforms the Rays wearing from the Local Elks club in Tampa?

79. Orlando says:

fucking rain again? i hate the rain during baseball season…..

80. Mushy Carl says:

Now watch them put the tarp down and we lose the game.

• Jerome S says:

That ball was 345 feet, a line out/fly out/double anywhere else in the park. The word cheapshot comes to mind, but a homerun’s a homerun.

81. Orlando says:

ha ha ha heads up KEARNS!!!!!

82. MikeD says:

That’s not good with rain on the horizon. Bring the tarp out NOW!

83. I thought all these guys hit were singles?

84. Pat D says:

It can’t be official until this half inning is over. Right?

85. Orlando says:

Can I call the YES offices so they can tell Flaherty to shut the fuck up!

86. After YES hires a new stylist for Kim Jones, they should lend that stylist to Nancy Newman as well.

87. bexarama says:

Okay, apparently the game IS official but the umps always want to finish nine innings if possible. So unless the rain was going to go on for super long they won’t call it.

88. Pat D says:

Well, time to drive home. Let’s see if they’re playing by the time I get home.

89. wow says:

im not watching the game, does it look like play will resume?

90. j_Yankees says:

Am i the only grown man that loves watching ‘Yankees on Deck’? Because i do. i love that show.

91. bexarama says:

Since we were talking about Torre, can I bring this up during the rain delay? Feel free to delete if it’s off-topic.

Anyway, they had all these articles after Alex’s 600th HR, and one of them had comments from a bunch of Alex’s former teammates and etc. Torre said something like “I keep calling to congratulate him, but he changes his number a lot and the one I have right now is wrong…”

Hey, Joe. http://tinyurl.com/26ytoaz (SFW)

92. JobaWockeeZ says:

And Robbie Cano is preaching about hard work. Shut up fuckers who doubt it because he doesn’t get his uniform dirty.

93. Wooderson says:

can someone tell me what sterling’s call for kearns HR last night was? dying to know

94. bexarama says:

I know we’ve moved on from the Dibble discussion but a fantastic roundup over at OCD Chick. I heart @amandarykoff

95. candyforstalin says:

i’m bored. top ten american films of the last decade:

a.i.: artificial intelligence (2001), steven spielberg
    the 25th hour(2002), spike lee
    far from heaven (2002), todd haynes
    elephant (2003), gus van sant
    lost in translation (2003), sofia coppola (possibly my favourite)
    sideways (2004), alexander payne
    the new world (2005), terrence malick
    miami vice (2006), michael mann
    gran torino (2008), clint eastwood
    a serious man(2009), ethan and joel coen

96. Hall and Nokes says:

best homestand in Rangers history?

97. nathan says:

Any updates from the beat guys on the game, is it gonna continue or are they calling it.

98. Jon Lester looks vaguely like a pig.

• Kit says:

I don’t think the vaguely needs to be in there. The man looks like he sweats grease.

• bexarama says:

I put on the game he was pitching against Cleveland a couple of weeks or so ago I think and oh my goodness he looked absolutely repulsive. I’ve never seen someone sweat like that.

• bexarama says:

Now that you point it out, I see it. A pig with pointy ears.

He’s still one of the better-looking people on that team, which says more about that team than him. Wayyyy too many people think Josh Beckett is hot.

• Pat D says:

Makes me have little faith in you idiot women.

/Dibble’d

Oh, wait, that doesn’t work either. He looks like Beckett!

• JohnnyC says:

Lester’s face reminds me of a fist. Good pitcher but not a looker.

99. Pat D says:

Wow, I can’t believe you guys had a movie discussion without me. :(

I don’t want to regurgitate what’s been said, so I’ll just add my two cents on some movies that were discussed.

Donnie Darko – the most overrated movie I’ve ever seen.

There Will Be Blood – incredible movie, and I’ll be a snob here: if you thought it slow, you missed the point.

“I look at people and I see nothing worth liking.”

• leo says:

donnie darko overrated? by who, besides me?

• Pat D says:

IMDB voters.

• leo says:

imdb is a great site and i use it often but you shouldn’t think too much of the ratings. a lot of people vote 1 of 10. i do find it interesting to see how men, women, young and old people vote differently on movies.

• Pat D says:

I don’t regard it as a be all, end all. Though I do track the Top 250 (I’ve seen 246 of them as of now).

It’s a tad misleading for the reasons you mentioned. But it does provide a decent gauge of what the “average” person thinks.

• bexarama says:

It’s really bad, IMO. When people talk about movies trying to be too profound and ending up being pretentious/meaning nothing, that’s the movie I think of.

• Pat D says:

Yea, and I just had so many people tell me I had to see it. I build up a resentment to movies like that because I consider myself more knowledgeable and informed about movies.

Like I said, I’m a snob. When it comes to movies.

• Jerome S says:

Donnie Darko is such a teen-ager movie. All it does is vindicate the feelings of depressed teens who feel smart.

• Pat D says:

Maybe that’s why I didn’t like it. By the time I watched it I was mid-20′s and resented having been that way in my teen years.

Oh, and the continuity of the movie is non-existent. It swallows itself whole.

100. Carlosologist says:

Game looks as if it may start again. Tarp is off and I’m predicting a midnight restart.

101. Pat D says:

Washington let Feliz throw a 2nd inning again. I think he’s gonna burn him up before October.

102. The two teams are eying a midnight restart time. Chad Gaudin warming for the Yanks. Jesse Chavez for the Royals.

103. Chip says:

Ahhh Papelbon is pitching in Texas, I can’t wait to see him give it up to Hamilton

104. Pat D says:

Anyone see the B-Ref article asking whether Mo is the greatest pitcher of all time?

105. Pat D says:

Oh my god, they’re just going to have to call this damned game.

106. My favorite movies of the 2000s (not in order):

Juno
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Up In The Air

107. Jerome S says:

DAMN are you serious?!?!

108. JobaWockeeZ says:

If the Yanks lose on such a bullshit homer I will be so pissed.

109. Orlando says:

this shit better not be called……

110. Chip says:

I will never complain about the Yankee’s strikezone again(that’s a lie) after seeing that completely bullshit call on Vlad. Seriously VLAD!!! didn’t even swing. You know it’s really far out there when that happens

111. Orlando says:

Hey folks on MLB Network we have Rangers vs. Red Sox…the shitbags to the north were up big early and they are tied at 9 in the 11th.

112. YankeesJunkie says:

If you are somehow forced to watch the Royals broadcast or can watch turn it because some guy is about to get kicked in the nads like now.

• ShuutoHeat (GGBG > Crawford) says:

Please elaborate for all those who don’t have Royals’ broadcast.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Basically they were doing hardest nut shots and they had an American Gladiator kick the nuts of a martial arts black belt that had trained in some specialty to allow him to get hit in vital areas without feeling it. When the gladiator hit with 1100 pounds of force he acted like nothing happen. This was because he did not release 90% of substance P, which causes pain, that a normal person would release. The catch is that the man had gone through five years of training of basically getting kicked in the nuts and due to the micro fractures endured throu gh the training his body repairs itself and actually becomes stronger in accordance to Wolf’s Law. This made his balls and pelvic bones harder that rocks.

113. Jerome S says:

Ahaha Victor Martinez… another Sock down.

114. bexarama says:

I fucking love you Nellie Cruz

115. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Nelson Cruz & his Boom Stick.

116. Chip says:

FUCK YES NELSON CRUZ!!

117. Carlosologist says:

Cruz wins it for Texas! I predicted this shit.

118. Pat D says:

Wow, Orsillo sounds so heartbroken that Cruz just bombed Wakefield, a la Aaron Boone.

119. Jerome S says:

Cruz walks off Wakefield…

120. Orlando says:

ha ha ha Nelson Cruz!!!! It almost looked like Aaron Boone…..

121. Mike Axisa says:

That’s what happens when the knuckleball doesn’t knuckle. Crushed that.

122. Orlando says:

looked like slo-pitch softball!!!!

123. Orlando says:

Orsillo………..hahaha!!!!

124. Chip says:

Gotta love Beckett, his team scores 8 runs for him and he can’t even pitch 6 innings. What an ace!

125. Apollo22237 says:

If there was a delay like this before a day game like Sunday, would they have already called the game or at least be more inclined to?

126. bexarama says:

LOL the Red Sox announcer said “and the Red Sox are miserable.”

I shouldn’t be too schadenfreudy, but…

127. Orlando says:

looks like were close to getting started….

128. Jerome S says:

They just said on MLBN that the game is ready to resume… we’ll see if that prediction holds.

129. wow says:

heard that the game will go on.teams are getting ready to take the field.

130. phughesisgod says:

Game Starts
    Game Delayed
    Tarp pulled
    Game re-starts
    Tarp put back on
    Tarp pulled
    Restart at midnight.
    Uh, scratch that. Tarp back on.
    Tarp pulled.

Am I missing anything, or do I pretty much have that down? Yay for basbeall probably continuing at 2 am!

131. Pat D says:

Guess we’ll have to start talking about the game again.

132. sleepykarl says:

That Cruz walkoff was nearly identical to Aaron Boone’s. First pitch of the bottom of the eleventh, they wore #17, and the swing looked incredibly similar.

133. So, ESPN has two separate articles about the Dodgers taking Broxton out of the closer’s role.

Do either of them mention the perfect correlation between the beginning of Broxton’s suckiness and the night Torre beat Broxton like a rented mule? Even tangentially?

Of course they don’t.

134. Carlosologist says:

yay game is back on.

135. phughesisgod says:

Lightening again? Oh this is going to be fun.

136. Orlando says:

if I may, may I congratulate us the “true” fans that waited this out?

• phughesisgod says:

Thank god we dont have to be back at it until 7.

This will be my day today.

Watch Yankee game finish
      Watch SportsCenter
      Sleep
      Eat
      Yankee Pre Game
      Yankee Game

Thank you, umps!

137. Apollo22237 says:

Why didn’t Girardi let Mosely finish the inning???

/lastnight’d

138. Did that just say Gaudin threw 96 on the 2-1 and then 95 on the 2-2? That gun is juiced and then some.

139. Orlando says:

put me down for a Berkman bomb!

140. AJ says:

I still can’t sleep. How did Michael Kay get engaged to Jodi Applegate? http://deepwarriors.com/wp-con.....legate.jpg

141. Orlando says:

Berkman leads the Yanks on popouts and he’s only been here what 2 days?

142. Pat D says:

Gritty AB by teh Gritster.

143. Orlando says:

ha ha look at the dude in the Boston Sucks red shirt taking pics….

144. ZOMG FREEDOM WEEK!!!!!

I’M GOING TO WATCH THE FUCK OUT OF THAT!!!

145. j_Yankees says:

If Chad Gaudin is painting the black with a 94mph FB i’ll be damned if he’s getting DFA’d

146. bexarama says:

Fireworks Night!! Wooooo

147. Mike Axisa says:

As long as Gaudin doesn’t implode, the Yankees are all over this game.

148. Carlosologist says:

Somebody isn’t exhausted.

149. MikeD says:

Tex showing off the Don Mattingly moves.

150. bexarama says:

Nnngh, Tex.

Nnnngh.

151. Pat D says:

OK, if people have stayed for freaking fireworks, I need to have a little chat with them.

Seriously. Have you never seen fireworks before? They’re not that special.

Rant time. I work about 5 minutes’ walk from the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs’ stadium. EVERY Friday night home game, they do fireworks. I work until 10:30. About 10:00, I hear the fireworks start. But the time I leave my building, the road I take to get on the highway that will take me home is backed up for 15 minutes. Yea that isn’t much, but when it normally takes me 2 minutes to travel that road, it’s extremely annoying.

Rant over.

152. baravelli says:

One out of nine times.

153. Pat D says:

I respectfully request Sean O’Sullivan v. 2.0 tomorrow.

154. bexarama says:

When they play that “this is not Yankee Encore” line later, on Yankee Encore… whoah.

155. For the record, Flash:

Being traded a lot does not mean you’re valuable (or at least, not the way you mean to use the word). It means you’re equally valuable and valueless.

It means that multiple teams wanted/needed you enough to trade for you… but it also means that multiple teams didn’t want/need you enough to refuse to part with you.

The most valuable players would never have been traded, because they’d be untouchable (i.e., invaluable).

156. JobaWockeeZ says:

Is it coincidence that YES would show the best Yankee home runs which includes Aaron Boone and his homer, that Cruz would get a walk off homer off Wakefield?

I think not.

157. Carlosologist says:

Goddamn, Kerry still has the gas in the arm.

158. j_Yankees says:

Ummm, Kerry Wood just threw a 90mph slide piece. TO TEH 8TH INNING!!!!

159. Jim says:

Just noticed that small smiley face above the copyright stuff at the bottom of the page

160. AJ says:

Hey, look, Betemit’s their cleanup hitter. Give em more fireworks.

161. AJ says:

I always thought the radar gun in Rookie of the Year was messed up. The kid topped out at 103? With no control or movement and was able to tear apart the entire league? Including Barry Bonds?

162. Chip says:

Can you imagine if Wood and Prior had come up in a system other than the Cubs? Nobody could touch Prior in 2003 and he was still damn good in 2004 when he wasn’t injured. I can’t believe they gave up a solid chance at a 5 year run at dominance in order to try to win one WS

163. Pat D says:

I love how Wilford Brimley’s legacy will be that every commercial actor has to say the world “diabeetus” instead of “diabetes.”

164. MikeD says:

Hmmm, we might want to do something this inning. Soria in the 9th, unless he was worked for several days before tonight.

165. Ah, the joys of watching Wilson Betemit butcher a play in the field for a team not called the New York Yankees.

166. swisher's fauxhawk says:

I love you, Wilson Bememit.

167. j_Yankees says:

You know what would be awesome right now? a 2-run HR

168. bexarama says:

Unrelated to this game, so apologies: The Padres protested tonight? Anyone know why?

169. FIPster Doofus says:

LOL Royals

170. Mushy Carl says:

lol wow

171. Carlosologist says:

Ramiro you a crazy motherfucker.

172. j_Yankees says:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? lol

173. Chip says:

The Royals have been watching too much Posada lately

174. bexarama says:

That was just silly all around

175. MikeD says:

…and the voice of Brett Gardner could be heard yelling from the dugot, “see, I told you you have to be careful out there.”

Never mind.

176. Chip says:

I love the comment from Jennings on LoHud, Pena was the least stupid on that play, that guy is having a long night/morning

177. JobaWockeeZ says:

I was eating a late snack, what did the Royals do?

178. Mushy Carl says:

Yankees had a million chances to take a lead. Hope we can do it off of Soria. This kind of sucks with Boston and Tampa dropping games.

179. wow says:

did not stay up this late for the Yanks to lose this to these jokers.

180. King of the Troglodytes says:

Nothing like watching pitchers with ERAs in the mid 5.00s mowing down the Yanks.

181. Kit says:

Fireworks for all five of the fans still there! Yay!

/jerk

182. Chip says:

You know what this game needs? Extra innings……..and more cowbell

183. Pat D says:

You know, due to the conditions in which this game was played, I’m not going to be that upset if they lose. I think it’s because I’ve had such a good time on the forum tonight. And that started when I was still at work, too!

Of course, this paragraph is null and void if they lose either of the next two games. I cannot accept a split in Kansas City.

184. I have decided that I will allow Boone Logan to serve as a rifleman in my beloved corps. He is definitely born again hard.

185. Carlosologist says:

Apparently R.A. Dickey one-hit the Phillies. The hit was to Cole Hamels. The Phillies did not have another hit afterwards.

186. Pat D says:

Oh, so it’s “Jets Stadium?”

God, I can’t wait to watch them fail to meet their own ridiculous expectations.

187. Mushy Carl says:

Gameday has joba at 98 99. Don’t know if it is true though

• MikeD says:

It had Chad Gaudin at 96 at one point. He is capable of hitting 94 at times, but I’m assuming the gun is one to two miles fast.

188. j_Yankees says:

JOBBER 99MPH! TEH HEIR TO MO!!!!!111!!11!

/francesa’d

189. wow says:

well, here we go… top o’ the ninth.

190. Pat D says:

I’m guessing Granderson is bunting.

191. Mushy Carl says:

Sounds weird hearing Flaherty calling him Derek.

192. Kit says:

Was that Jeter’s way of saying “Do not compare my closer to your closer”?

193. JobaWockeeZ says:

Too quick? I’ve had that problem with that chick the other night.

/FamilyGuy’d

194. Chip says:

Phew, I thought Granderson had just put them in front

195. Carlosologist says:

Grandy launched both of those pitches. Good AB for him.

196. Mushy Carl says:

Come on they are trying to give us this game!

197. Pat D says:

OK, Tex better make that one fucking hurt.

198. j_Yankees says:

WOW….

Make them pay!

199. JobaWockeeZ says:

I never thought other Jorge’s existed.

200. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Did that seriously happen?

201. Mike Axisa says:

Here comes the homer.

/inevitable’d

202. Carlosologist says:

Royals Baseball.

203. Chip says:

Wow, how do they win any games with the defense?

204. JobaWockeeZ says:

A-Rod clutches it here.

205. Mushy Carl says:

Joe Nathan this man

206. MikeD says:

A-Rod is due.

207. Pat D says:

Yeesh, ARod’s numbers are scary.

208. Carlosologist says:

Robbie will tie it with a dinky single. Watch.

209. Mark says:

Why pitch to Robby?

210. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Fail.

Oh well, time for bed.

211. MikeD says:

Can’t we get four outs this inning for staying up so late? Guess not.

212. wow says:

frick it!!

213. j_Yankees says:

Well….that sucked big balls.

214. Mushy Carl says:

Should have waited for a better pitch oh well night everyone

215. wow says:

the one good night to win.

216. bexarama says:

Meh game, awesome thread.

217. Jerome S says:

Another one-run game? I need to see a blowout.

218. MikeD says:

Ahh, if I click up one channel the Grateful Dead is playing. I might be able to develop a craving for White Castle burgers before sleep.

219. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

NOT worth the several rain delays…

220. Alright, everyone, goodnight. Sucks to lose, but, hey, baseball all night long.

Bexy, Kit, since you’re the last ones here: I expect my breakfast on the table promptly at 7am this morning, ladies. Don’t fuck around and think you get a pass because it’s a late finish.

Know your place, woman.