Jul

A-Rod’s knee surgery goes a-okay

Via Marc Carig, Alex Rodriguez‘s surgery to repair a slightly torn meniscus went well this morning. I can’t remember the last time a professional athlete had surgery and it didn’t go well, but it’s always a relief to hear things went according to plan. There’s no change to his timetable, Alex is expected back in 4-6 weeks.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. I hope they threw some stem cells up in that bitch while he was cut open.

2. Thomas Cassidy says:

I wish he could have extended his 30/100.

3. Rainbow Connection says:

I hope he takes whatever Pujols was taking.

4. vin says:

“I can’t remember the last time a professional athlete had surgery and it didn’t go well, but it’s always a relief to hear things went according to plan. ”

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. The immediate reports would indicate all sports surgeries have a 100% success rate. If the guy doesn’t come back fully healthy and on time, then blame it on the rehab.

5. Daniel says:

i thought football players recover in 3 weeks….why does arod need 4-6?

• Ivan says:

Different type of sport I guess. Plus its really more how damage the knee is really. osi umenyiora had a similar injury and was out for the year.

• Rainbow Connection says:

NFL’ers can take all the PED’s they want. They are even rewarded with TV jobs.

• Zack D says:

Becuase their contracts aren’t guaranteed, miss half a season and you’re cut or ask to take a pay cut.

• Voice of Reason says:

Could also have something to do with the fact that the MLB season is much longer. 3 weeks of football is around 5 weeks of baseball proportionally, so teams might be more apt to push it.

6. David, Jr. says:

A partially torn meniscus is not a big deal. My wife had it from playing tennis. No down time at all. Exercises, weights, etc. Good as new. Never even know she had it. Doing triathlons.

• Guest says:

I think there’s a difference though. A-Rod would have probably played with the injury all year if he never had an MRI. He had already been doing so for weeks.

But we all saw that it sapped him of that extra “oomph” in his swing, leading to reduced power.

There are few things harder in sports than hitting a baseball, and one of those things is hitting a baseball very far. Everything has to be perfect. And if your back support leg is weakened, even if just a bit, you aren’t going to be the same kind of power hitter you once were.

This isn’t about whether the injury is serious enough to stop A-Rod from playing, everyone has said that it isn’t. The issue is whether surgery will help bring him back to that peak physical condition he needs to be in to to be a power hitter again.

7. nathan says:

—–

Think this does not talk about the success of the surgery itself, but about any surprises that come with it.

4-6 weeks: This timeline obviously does not extend the 1 week of rehab games right or is it calculated into that.

• David, Jr. says:

There are very tough surgeries. This isn’t one of them.

• nathan says:

Oh yeah, I agree. Just saying that “went well” means no surprises.

I mean Doctors should not be saying 50% chance his knee clears up like a weatherman for such a regular surgery.

• Rainbow Connection says:

“I remember when Santana was being operated they went in for something minor and had to do something additional. That is something that did not go well.”

No shit. His new songs are terrible.

8. Brooklyn Ed says:

“I can’t remember the last time a professional athlete had surgery and it didn’t go well”

Noah Lowry? the Giants messed up his medical bad.

9. kenthadley says:

Why is the prognosis for Chipper Jones only 3 weeks compared to Arod’s 4-6? I thought they had the same injury. Chipper is also older….is Arod’s more serious?

10. Dino Velvet says:

of course, he’ll have to visit Dr. Galea for a lil’ sometin’-sometin’