Jul

Yanks win big in second game of doubleheader

“That’s why I like whipping [the Yankees] butt. It’s great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, ‘How the hell are they beating us?” — Orioles’ manager Buck Showalter, March 2011

• The twelve first inning runs are a new franchise record. Think about that. In the long and glorious history of the New York Yankees, they had never scored twelve runs in the first inning before this game. Insane.
  • The 24 hits are the Yankees’ most in almost exactly four years, when they hung 25 on the (Devil) Rays on July 22nd, 2007. It’s the first time they picked up 20 hits in a game since September 2009.
  • This was the 31st time since 1919 that the Yankees had eight players with two or more hits in a game. It’s the second time they’ve done it this season.
  • Zach Britton was the first starter the Yankees have knocked out of a game after just 0.1 IP since Tim Corcoran of the (Devil) Rays in September 2006. Here are Britton’s last two starts: 1 IP, 13 H, 17 R, 13 ER, 3 BB, 2 K. This kid was a top 10-15 prospect before the season. Fine example of what can happen when you rush young starters in the AL East.
  • Robinson Cano when the game started: .288/.333/.494. Cano when the final out was recorded: .297/.341/.505. Five-for-five with two doubles will do that for ya. Believe it or not, this was his first career five-hit game. That surprised me. Robbie has 17 career four-hit games.
  • I’m fairly certain that Andruw Jones has the most raw power on the Yankees. I’m talking brute strength, not hitting ability. When he gets a hold of one, they travel a frickin’ mile. He hit a homerun off the sign in the back of the visitor’s bullpen in this game, his 414th career homer. That’s the 45th most in history.
  • Ivan Nova‘s return was a smashing success; he allowed two garbage time runs in seven innings. He wiggled out of a bases loaded jam in the first, but was on cruise control the rest of the way with the big lead. Nova’s 97 pitches were broken down into 54 fastballs, 21 curveballs, 19 sliders, and three changeups. He got six swings and misses on the slide piece, the pitch they wanted him to work on in the minors.
  • I’m starting to think that Luis Ayala‘s 1.65 ERA is not really indicative of his true ability. [/sarcasm]
  • Rafael Soriano threw his first 1-2-3 since Opening Day. It’s a Trade Deadline Eve miracle.
  • There’s too much offense to recap, so ogle the box score. Everyone got in on the fun. Here’s the FanGraphs stats, and here’s the updated standings.

The final game of this makeshift four-game set will be played Sunday afternoon at 1pm ET. Freddy Garcia gets the start against Jake Arrieta. If you want to go, I hear RAB Tickets can get you into the Stadium on the cheap.

Categories : Game Stories

1. That WPA chart. Would they were all that pretty

2. Oeld says:

So who are the Yankees acquiring?

3. Jake S says:

I had some guests for whom the nightcap was their first baseball game. I think they may now have an inaccurate picture of what ballgames are like.

4. Cuso says:

Being that the O’s already had bench-clearers in Toronto & Boston, I have a sneaking suspicion that Buck might have a few of our guys plunked on Sunday.

5. IRF says:

I thought Nova’s slider/cutter thing looked really sharp tonight. When he can combine that thing with a 95 mph sinker and a respectable curveball, hes gonna be good.

• Zach says:

I’m dumb, but I would take a hard look at a 6 man rotation for a few weeks. Yankees have almost won the WC, it would give the old guys an extra day, and a couple starts to let Phil & Nova improve. (Also line up the rotation for BOS)

6. Cuso says:

A-Rods power probably still ‘out-raws’ Andruw’s.

But on active roster, yeah.

7. Bum Rush says:

Time to send Hughes to the bullpen or AAA. I prefer the pen. He doesn’t have what it takes to be a MLB for any length of time. Nova clearly does.

• Xstar7 says:

Nova has been pretty mediocre actually but at least you know what you’re going to get from him. I wish I could say the same about Hughes.

That being said, Hughes’ ceiling >> Nova’s ceiling.

• Gonzo says:

I wonder though. Is it better for Hughes to be in minors right now? Does that give him a better shot at getting closer to his ceiling?

• CMP says:

You could make a case that it would be easier for him to develop his secondary pitches in AAA rather than in a pennant race.

• Adam B says:

Hughes has proven time and again that he can get minor leaguers out, he has nothing left to learn in the minors… They can’t turn back now as they have put so much into him, they have to throw him out there every 5 days and hope Larry Rothschild can push the right buttons to get him back…

Hughes needs to learn how to get big leaguers out (HINT: commanding your fastball(as in don’t leave it over the plate) is a good start)

• Mojo says:

I’m not so sure I understand the “ceiling” argument. Why is Hughes’ potential better than Nova’s? What has Hughes done lately that would even warrant such an argument? As a set-up man, yeah, I’ll agree that PH has a higher ceiling than SuperNova, but as a starting pitcher . . . He’s looked pretty awful for an entire year now. People shit on Nova all the time, but I’m happy to say that I’ve been a fan from the start. He is what he is, a young pitcher who’s continuing to learn the ropes and actually looks as though he grows from one start to another. Nova shows progress and he’s some spark in that cannon. Nova may be a FLASH in the pan, maybe, but he’s certainly EARNED his place in our current rotation. Hughes, on the other hand, has done absolutely nothing to even garner a look.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

As soon as Hughes learns a putaway pitch, he’ll be a dominating pitcher. Since he hasn’t done that yet, he hasn’t reached his ceiling.

• nsalem says:

When do you anticipate Hughes learning this pitch.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

If he goes to AAA he can learn it without there being a pressure of winning. If he goes to the bullpen it may come kinda like it did in 09.

• Jesse says:

he doesn’t have to learn it. He knows it already. It’s his changeup. We all know he has one, he just doesnt throw it. He needs to use it more often, and maybe, just maybe, it can become an effective pitch for him. Look at CC. He developed his change to be a key go to pitch. Maybe Hughes can do that.

• Mojo says:

Well yeah . . . But can’t that be said for most pitchers? Take away CC and Santana’s changeup, Beckett’s sinker, or Burnett and Zito’s (both of old) curveball and suddenly they become different pitchers. That’s always been my complaint about Hughes and it’s certainly possible that he develops an out pitch, but, lately, I don’t know, he seems more head-case than ace. He IS still young, of course, but he just doesn’t seem to be maturing at the rate that I’m sure the Yankee brass expected him to. I mean, didn’t they just offer him up for Ubaldo? I don’t see him becoming a Lester any time soon, or ever, for that matter. Also, is the velocity gone for good? Maybe, just maybe, he’s better suited for the bullpen. At least that way he wouldn’t be a TOTAL waste of pinstripe.

• Xstar7 says:

“Why is Hughes potential higher than Nova’s?”

Compare their minor league stats. There’s no comparison.

Hughes made it to the bigs at a much earlier age than Nova, and has had much more success both as a starter and reliever. I believe what we saw from Hughes in the first half of 2010 was what Hughes should be every season. But that was before his arm started wearing out. He greatly surpassed his previous innings totals in 2010 which apparently had a long lasting toll on his arm. He still hasn’t completely recovered. But to give up on him now would be ridiculous, because we know what he can do when he’s 100%.

Ivan Nova falls into the same category as Noesi, Warren, Phelps, etc. B-prospect, back-end of the rotation caliber at the major league level. Nova never dominated AA and AAA like Hughes did. (How soon people forget that Hughes was rated one of the best pitching prospects in baseball.) Nova has been solid and consistent this year, but nothing to write home about.

• Mojo says:

But… that’s the minors.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

That’s the thing how long is Hughes going to live off his high ceiling and minor league stats. I’m not saying he should never start again or trade him for a spare arm in the pen but after while you have to show and prove.

• Mojo says:

I’m not completely writing him off. Not yet. His arm could be experiencing some Major League growing pains. That’s understandable. His precipitous fall off since last year’s All-Star game/break is rather alarming. This appears to be MORE than a slump, as though his body and arm are no longer permitting him to be the pitcher he once was (or is capable of being). But, like I said before . . . Hughes has head-case written ALL over him. I wouldn’t say he’s in AJ’s meltdown category, but he’s certainly approaching dangerous territory.

• JD says:

Good postXstar. I think you are over-selling the likelihood that hughes recovers from whatever is wrong. We just don’t know. Hughes beginning in 2010 was extraordinary but he has been off the tracks for a while. Nova has been pretty good although never a dominating as hughes. Still think that nova is going to get better. Not sure about phil. If you have to win a game, its nova over phil.

• nsalem says:

Yes as you have keenly observed Nova is truly mediocre and quite clearly just like Steve Dalkowski, Phil Hughes has a much higher ceiling. After all Phil had 18 wins last year.

• Xstar7 says:

Ivan Nova 2011 (before his last start): 4.12 ERA, 4.46 FIP, 4.26 xFIP, 0.8 fWAR

If that’s not mediocre, I don’t know what is.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Those numbers would probably be a lot better if you took out April.

• Xstar7 says:

You have to take the good with the bad.

• Brian S. says:

Coming from someone who just excluded a start. Nova might have as much WAR as Burnett now, in over fifty less innings pitched. He deserves a spot in the rotation.

• Esteban says:

I would bet Xstar7 omitted Saturday’s start because it wasn’t included yet in the stats on Fangraphs. Just a guess.

• Xstar7 says:

I never said he didn’t deserve a spot in the rotation. But we also shouldn’t give up on Hughes. It’s a very delicate situation. One of them is going to get the boot (unless they try that 6-man rotation now.) And I’m going to go out on a limb and predict it’s Nova, based on how the Yankees have treated the two in the past, and because getting Hughes back on track is essential. I might be wrong, but that’d be fine. Nova’s been solid enough to hold his own in this rotation.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Lol wins.

8. Phife Dawg says:

The bottom of the first inning reminded me of the CMW start against the Indians back in 09. I think he and Anthony Clagett gave up like 14 runs in one inning.

9. CMP says:

Missing some bats and getting some Ks like Nova did tonight puts him in a completely different light. Lets hope he can keep this going.

10. BigTimeBartolo says:

Andruw has more raw power than Alex?

11. Dino Velvet says:

Nova stays in the rotation, yes?

12. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Yanks trade Ubaldo Jimenez for Jesus Montero, Ivan Nova, and Dellin Betances.

13. tom says:

So I was out with a friend, watching the game at a bar, laughing harder and harder as that first inning got more and more ludicrous. My favorite stat came up a bit later: when Cano was 3-for-3 with 2 outs in the second.

Then I come here to check out the in-the-moment thread reaction, and find that what seemed 2/3 of the folks were barely paying attention to this hilarious onslaught, but were instead cursing Brian Cashman’s progeny for Cashman’s failure to trade away all the jewels of the farm system for a pitcher who obviously has solid traits but whose last 24 months has made his ultimate value questionable.

This can be a weird place sometimes.

• Ted Nelson says:

I’m fine with the non-trade, but you are underselling Ubaldo

• tom says:

Possibly a little; I’m wary of pitchers who start out like a house afire and level off so quickly. It’s certainly entirely possible Jimenez has a great career ahead. But it’s not a no-brainer.

And I was amazed at the fury of the folks in the game thread. You’d have thought Cashman had turned down Koufax in his prime for Edwin Nunez.

• thumper says:

I agree with you Ted, but if the reports are corrent in that the Rockies refused to allow the Yanks to give a physical exam to Ubaldo prior to the trade, I’ll give Cashman the benefit of the doubt. That just screams shady, especially in light of his dramatic velocity drop this year (even accounting for the early injuries -> late start to this year).

14. BigBlueAL says:

Hopefully the Yankees go with a 6-man rotation for this next week which allows for Colon/Garcia/CC to start in Fenway. Considering Francona always goes out of his way to stack his best SP’s against the Yankees whenever possible it would be nice if Girardi did the same thing this week.

Of course who wouldve ever thought that as a Yankee fan I would prefer for Garcia/Colon to start in Fenway instead of Burnett/Hughes.

• CMP says:

No doubt about it, right now Garcia is the Yankees number 3 starter.

• Zach says:

Any chance you want to prevent them from getting a good look at colon? Even if it’s worth 2 bad swings, it might be worth it.

• Pat D says:

I wouldn’t feel good about starting Garcia in Fenway. They destroyed him at the Stadium, and I just don’t think he’s gonna fare as well against good lineups.

15. nsalem says:

The day before the Yankee’s 25 hit outburst on July 22, 2007 vs the then Devil Rays the Yankee’s had 20 hits in the back end of a Saturday day night double header. The final score of the second game was 17-5.
    as compared to the 17-3 score today. The Yankee’s also won the first game back in ’07 7-3 as opposed to the 8-3 final of game one today. We also dropped the Friday night opening game of the series in 2007 as we did this year. I remember being at the 2007 Saturday night game as the Yankee’s were pouring it on. I was actually feeling bad for TB wondering how this team could ever hope to be competitive in the AL East.

16. Dela G says:

25 runs in 12 hours? I’ll take it

17. mike c says:

the game was over after the first inning, it wasn’t a great test for nova… he looked pretty good overall but seemed a little rusty in the first inning, by the 2nd the game was already over so he was throwing strikes and being aggressive, hit 96 with the fastball a few times. I really like this kid, he’s got great poise and right now he’s just flat out better than hughes. if phil can’t put up a quality start in his next couple games nova needs to take his spot in the rotation, he’s too good for them to send back to AAA right now. hughes should take note, maybe he should even consider going down to winter ball this season to get some work in

18. ultimate913 says:

Wait. So if the Yankees were out on Ubaldo 4 days ago, why did the Rockies have a scout at tonight’s game?

Also. With Ubaldo to CLE pretty much done(pending physical), and no other player available that would require a top prospect(Montero, Banuelos, Betances), would that mean that Montero’s promotion some time during this upcoming week is inevitable?

19. bklyn says:

Gotta love how nova will forever be defined by his minor league prospect status by some fans. Just because he historically hasnt gotten many strike outs doesnt mean he cant be our new CMW. Remember, the guy who won 18 games for us 2 yrs in a row. Certainly not an ace but definitely a good pitcher. If nova improves his strikeout pitch, he can cerntainly become what CMW was for us, especially since he is shedding the biggest knock against him about pitching deep into games.

The guy constantly improves on his weakness and deserves more fan fare than he is getting.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Nova definitely catches too much flak. There’s value in a 24-year-old back-of-the-rotation starter who induces a ton of ground balls and puts up good production relative to his salary. The kid’s not a world-beater, but he’ll do.

• bottom line says:

If Yanks decided to sell and made Nova available he’d be second hottest pticher (hottest, now that Ubaldo is gone) on trade market. Young, cheap, healthy and effective. Who else fills that bill?

• YankeesJunkie says:

I disagree, Nova is a back of the rotation guy in the AL East which has a lot of value. However, when Nova is the player that prevents you from getting Haren or Ubaldo there is something crazy going on. First off, Noesi is better than Nova in terms of stuff and command just the fact that Nova started first does not make him better. Nova is much easier replaceable than a player like Ubaldo.

• FIPster Doofus says:

You disagree with what? I never said I wouldn’t have traded Nova for Ubaldo. I would have. Nova for a rental? No.

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

CMW actually won 19 games in consecutive seasons, but wins are a silly stat.

However, I agree, Nova could be a very valuable piece to this rotation. Surely not an ace, but quality innings and some solid starts from the #5 spot would be more than welcomed.

20. Bavarian Yankee says:

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. What a game. Let’s do it again today :D

21. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Curtis Granderson has 94 runs scored on the last day of July. No big deal.

22. Oscar Gamble's Fro says:

The Chicken Little shit in last night’s game thread after not getting Ubaldo is Exhibit A why people think Yankee fans are insane. Just really unbelievable stuff.

23. Eric says:

Bring up JESUS! send hughes down and keep nova up – when bartolo falls apart bring up MANBAN, when garcia starts sucking bring up Betances, if these kids are so talented they have to help correct?

• ROBTEN says:

I refer you to this part of the recap:

“Zach Britton was the first starter the Yankees have knocked out of a game after just 0.1 IP since Tim Corcoran of the (Devil) Rays in September 2006. Here are Britton’s last two starts: 1 IP, 13 H, 17 R, 13 ER, 3 BB, 2 K. This kid was a top 10-15 prospect before the season. Fine example of what can happen when you rush young starters in the AL East.”

• YankeesJunkie says:

If you read the first three words the post is pretty accurate.

• Eric says:

Some of the other notable big leaguers that skipped Triple-A all together: Justin Verlander (just 20 minor league starts total, seven in Double-A), Mat Latos (nine Double-A starts), Clayton Kershaw (16 Double-A starts), Josh Beckett (13 Double-A starts), Scott Kazmir (eight Double-A starts), and former Yankee first round pick Eric Milton (14 Double-A starts). Tim Lincecum (five), Roy Oswalt (five), and Cole Hamels (three) all made a very limited number of Triple-A starts before sticking in the big leagues. Those are some pretty good arms, arent MANBAN and Betance supposed to future aces? Stop over-hyping and give them a chance to PROVE themselves. Pitchers only have so many innings to throw in a career, why waste them in the minors?

• Jorge says:

Why can’t my burrito, something something. Can’t do it as well as the other guy.

24. Eric says:

The point is that if these kids are truly untouchable – and are going to stay in NY then what would the harm be in bringing them up? if they suffer then send them back down for more seasoning but you might catch lightning in a bottle like rays did with price a few years ago.

25. Bpdelia says:

I still believe montero, bettances, nova outwar jimenez from 2012-2018. Im willing, to gamble that trio can consistently produce 8 war combined for betwren 2-10 million a year over the next 6 years.

Therefore i am fine with the trade. The yankee payroll is contingent on perennial competitiveness not occasionaly winning it all