Aug

Garcia will miss Sunday’s start

Joe Girardi announced during his postgame press conference that Freddy Garcia will miss tomorrow’s start because of a cut on his finger. A.J. Burnett will start instead, and will be followed by Ivan Nova, Bartolo Colon, and CC Sabathia in Kansas City. Garcia tried to throw his splitter off flat ground today and couldn’t, though they’re hopefully he’ll just miss one start. Girardi called it a kitchen accident. Either way, it gives Garcia some extra rest and keeps Phil Hughes in the rotation for at least one more turn. Win win? Win win.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Matt DiBari says:

I really need more time to mentally prepare for AJ Burnett starts

2. Jimmy McNulty says:

I wonder if it’s possible for him to pitch his way out of the rotation

• tom says:

Post-season or regular season? The latter, probably not; they seem too far dug in with him. The former, though…it would take a pig-headedness way beyond the norm to play him in games that count that much, with pretty much everyone else going better.

3. Jesse says:

Everyone in the I love Phil Hughes club, including myself is jumping for joy right now. Hughes was very solid in this start, he mixed in all of his pitches, even that change up. The two runs he gave up came after a long inning. I’ll cut him a little slack for that. Either way, good start for Hughes. Hope Freddy will be fine, and I kinda hope Burnett blows up again so there is another piece of evidence that supports my Burnett to the bullpen solution.

4. Jerome S. says:

It’s just a cut on the finger. That’s like, the most short-term of pitching injuries.

Also, do MLB pitchers all have like a place to pitch in their backyard? I would think so, no?

Burnett has the barn, that’s for sure. What good that did him this year…

5. Jetrer says:

No if only we can get AJ into the kitchen …

6. Winston Smith says:

AJ Burnett against James Shields? LOL! It’s a good thing we won today. This gives AJ one more start and if it’s bad he’s gotta go.

7. Monteroisdinero says:

We’ll see how AJ’s start goes. 5 good starters and one mediocre overpaid starter gives us some controversy before the playoffs. Anyone care to look under Freddy’s bandaid? Lol

8. Steve S. says:

Any excuse that keeps Hughes in the rotation sounds good to me.

Now I’m just waiting for Bartolo Colon to tweak his hamstring again next week.

9. Andrew518 says:

Honestly I hope A.J. gets on track tomorrow. Having too many effective pitchers to fit into the rotation is a great problem to have. If A.J. can prove to pitch effectively that is…

10. CMP says:

Maybe the followers of RAB can pitch in and buy AJ a deli meat slicer.

Put me down for $20.

11. Derek says:

2 1/2 yr old Yankee fan needs your help!

Dylans Candy Bar is holding a contest for kids and its down to my friends daughter Madison (Yankee fan) and Lilly (not a Yankee fan)

If you wanna help – “Like” Dylans Candy Bar on Facebook. Then simply “Like” the picture of Madison in the purple shirt (8 yr olds and under category.)

You can ‘unlike’ Dylans after if you want to.

Thanks – Go Yankees! We support our own.

p.s. The video is Madison asking for the support of fellow Yankee fans

12. bonestock94 says:

Any excuse to get AJ in there is fine by me…LOL

13. Bronx Byte says:

Wishing for rain tomorrow does no good. Burnett can stink it up just as bad against K.C. on Monday.

• YankeeJosh says:

Well a rainout tomorrow would push Shields back to the Red Sox series for Tampa.

• Andrew518 says:

Rainouts suck this time of year. Burnett pitching against Shields is better option than schedule mess down the stretch. All ready filled one off day in Sept with make up against Rays.

14. billysbartender says:

happen to be going to KC on Monday and am going to the game. please no rainout tomorrow. I’d much rather see Nova than AJ.

• roy says:

Late report in was that kitchen knife was found in AJ Burnett’s locker. Burnett denies any involvement in the attempted murder of Freddy Garcia.

15. Rich in NJ says:

They cannot take Hughes out of the rotation because it’s inconsistent with winning now and in the future, and that is what they profess to be about.

• Will says:

Still not buying it with Hughes. Several loud outs today, and he narrowly avoided a big inning thanks to great defensive plays by Swisher and Tex. Plus, the Rays were probably as surprised as the Yankee fan TV viewers by the sudden onslaught of high changeups.

That said, and even though I fully admit that I am not a Hughes fan at all, I did think his curveball and cutter were better today than I’ve seen them since early 2010. Location wasn’t awful either.

I still think it’s a mistake for the Yankees to gift-wrap him a guaranteed rotation spot based on two starts, but it looks like it may not be an issue thanks to Freddy’s cooking skills.

16. Tyrone Sharpton says:

Remember when people were saying Hughes was a surefire future ace pitcher who would go into the HOF? yea don’t see that happening lol

• Rich in NJ says:

I never heard anything about the HoF. He’s still only 25 and could easily be a #2, which was what most experts projected.

• ItsATarp says:

I’ll pull this old thing out again just for laughs

• Rich in NJ says:

You don’t think he can be better than Wang?

• Chen Meng Wang says:

I think he was referring to Matzusaka. I know I straight LOL’d(out loud and everything) when I saw it. I kept going through the list, In my opinion Tulo has been better than everybody above him. I’m amazed that Betances made a top prospect list in 2007, and it’s 2011 and he hasn’t been traded or ruined by being bounced between the major league bullpen and minor league starting and major league starting. (see Joba and Hughes) Before everybody jumps down my throat for saying that and says that Hughes still has a chance to be a good starting pitcher, I agree he does. However there is no way that he ever becomes a legit CC/Verlander/Hernandez/or even Lester kind of ace, and I think he could’ve been if they hadn’t messed around with him.

17. cnight_ithaca says:

I think he meant Dice bb