Feb

The 2012 RAB fantasy baseball leagues

The countdown to pitchers and catchers has reached its final week, but we all know what that means. Yep, a few benign press briefings and not much else. It’ll be a while before we get into the swing of things. In the meantime, we have a perfect opportunity to set up the 2012 RAB fantasy baseball leagues. This should be similar to what we did last year, but also slightly different.

One thing we’ve failed to maintain in these leagues is continuity. Years ago we tried instituting a relegation system, but that requires far too much management. We’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that these leagues are one-year deals. We make ‘em and them scrap ‘em. So know that coming in.

Last year we had plenty of interest in RAB-based leagues; there were around a dozen total. We’re going for something similar this year. We’ve started the first two leagues, but we’re going to create many, many more. Here’s the procedure.

1) Click here to join the RAB fantasy league. We have two leagues set up right now, RAB League 1 (ID# 39765) and RAB League 2 (ID# 40171). I’m the commissioner of the first league, Mike is the commissioner for the second league. The password for both leagues is salbograntlanny, and both drafts are scheduled for Monday March 5 at 7:30 p.m. Eastern.

Update (1:09 p.m.): We have a new league: RAB League of Champs; ID: 41028; Password: Yankees#1 click here to sign up.

Update (1:36 p.m.): Another league: RAB New England Yankees Fans; ID: 41247; pw: salbograntlanny click here to sign up.

Update: RAB League of Leagues; ID: 41280; pw: nyy baseball click here to sign up.

Update: RAB Ballad of Mariano; ID: 41337; pw: Mariano42 click here to sign up.

Update: RAB The Grandyman Can; ID: 41619; pw: salbograntlanny click here to sign up.

Update: RAB Flags Fly; ID: 41209; pw: salbograntlanny click here to sign up.

Update: RAB Sports Bar All-Stars; ID: 42568; pw: hamandswish click here to sign up.

2) Once those leagues fill up, it’s time to create a new RAB fantasy league. If you want to be commissioner, click here to create a new league. Name it whatever you want, but make sure to make the first word RAB.

3) Email me — joseph p (at) riveraveblues (dot) com — and let me know the league details (name and password). I’ll then update the post accordingly.

We’ll keep doing this until there is no longer any interest.

I’d like the leagues to have uniform rules, so we can compete among the leagues. That is, while your primary competition will be with the teams in your specific league, I’d also like to do some comparisons among the leagues. In fact, we’re going to give away a prize to the team with the highest winning percentage during the season. I’m not sure what the prize is yet, since we’re months away. But it’ll be something good: a bit of memorabilia or a book.

Here’s what we’ve created in the first fantasy leagues.

• 12-team league. I think this will work a bit better, and be easier to manage, than the 20-team leagues from last year.
  • Offensive categories: Runs, RBI, OBP, Total Bases, Net Stolen Bases (stolen bases minus caught stealing).
  • Pitching categories: Innings Pitched, Saves, Strikeouts, ERA, WHIP.

And we’ll use the following position distributions. It’s only a small change from the default settings:

C: 1
1B: 1
2B: 1
3B: 1
SS: 1
OF: 3
UTIL: 1
SP: 2
RP: 2
P: 4
DL: 1
Bench: 5

Also, I recommend turning on the feature that locks eliminated teams. There’s no reason for an eliminated team to be making a trade, since it cannot benefit them in any way. It’s totally bush league to fire sale anyway, but this is just some insurance against it. Everything else, from what I can tell, goes along with the default league settings.

That’s all I have for now. Again, sign up using the links above, or the spot below. If you have any questions, email me or hit us up using the submit a tip box.

Categories : Fantasy Baseball

1. Daniel says:

password?

2. Mike HC says:

The stat categories in Axisa’s league have batting average and wins as well as the ones you listed in the article. Not sure which one is the mistake.

3. Jesse says:

No home runs?

Sadface :(

4. Tony says:

Both leagues already full!!!!

5. V says:

Meh, I think I’m out of fantasy baseball this year. I tend to go too crazy nuts micromanaging, taking away a lot of the fun (even though I finished 2nd in my money league last year, netting a couple hundred ;-)).

6. Bavarian Yankee says:

are there some fellow Europeans that are interested in a fantasy league? Would be nice to have a European RAB League.

7. Peter R says:

huzzah!

8. Alex L says:

Hey guys Im the commissioner for the new league
    RAB League of Champs
    ID- 41028
    Password- Yankees#1

Sign up fast before the league closes

9. Mark L says:

So no special league for last year’s champions?

10. o says:

Hey I started a league

same password: salbograntlanny

11. Vinnie Gagliano says:

If anybody is setting up a $100+ roto league on yahoo using leaguesafe send me over an invite. I’m active and I’ll cause ZERO drama. My email is truitalian9@yahoo.com

thnx guys

12. A.D. says:

No preference to previous year participants?

• Sayid J. says:

Yea, i was 2 year RAB Premiere member who would’ve liked to see some of the same leagues continue if possible. it’s all good though, baseball is baseball.

13. Satellite says:

For anyone who is interested in auction fantasy baseball, I set up an auction head-to-head league. Regular Yahoo scoring.

League ID: 41557
    Password: riveraveblues

14. Butters McGee says:

Would anybody be interested in an ottoneu league? First-timers like myself preferred, but certainly not necessary. I’m leaning towards taking the full nerd plunge and setting up fangraphs points values, but if there’s more interest in using ottoneu classic scoring then I’d be fine with that as well.

For those who aren’t familiar with ottoneu, here’s the link to their primer:

Bear in mind that there are two significant differences between ottoneu and these Yahoo! leagues:

1) There is a $10/year per-team administrative charge, payable via Paypal (I believe)

2) Ottoneu leagues are meant to be a much more immersive fantasy experience compared to regular fantasy leagues. While this means more cumulative effort to some degree (fill out a full 40-man roster, busy trade season, offseason component), it also promises to be a much more rewarding experience as well. A key component of this is the multi-season nature of an ottoneu league, which allows for GMs to craft their winning strategies over time, and plan for their “championship window”. Therefore, please only consider joining if you are willing to put in some effort over more than one season, and not totally punt a season after being eliminated/a bottom feeder: there’s always next season in an ottoneu league.

15. Robert says:

Should the RAB leagues be head-to-head or roto?

16. miketotheg says:

arg!!! one more!! one more!!

17. Bryan says:

I am setting one up. Supposed to be head to head or no?

18. miketotheg says:

head to head! whoo hoo!

19. miketotheg says:

dam! i miss baseball!

20. CANO FAN #1 says:

Can somebody tell me how do this. I go to the link and put the id # of the league and password but it doesn’t work say is a error or something like that

• miketotheg says:

I think Yahoo can be a bit redundant but basically you have to copy and paste the league id and the password, after you log in there’s a prompt.

i’m clickin’ refresh as fast as I can! missed the afternoon leagues cause of this silly old “work” thing!!

21. Vinnie Gagliano says:

Hey guys I just created a free H2H league that I have been considering for awhile. Its h2h 1 win, 8×8 stats, 12 teams, 25 man rosters.

Stats are Hits, OBP, Runs, RBIs, HRs, SB, K’s, Slugging %
    ERA, H9, BB9, K9, Win %, Saves, TBA, Holds

I tried to make the pitching as percentage based as possible.

Yahoo – 42450 PW blumpkin

if you have any questions email me at truitalian9@yahoo.com

22. Bryan says:

Give me two minutes and it will be done.

23. Bryan says:

OK here it is

League ID: 42568
    League Name: Sam’s Sports Bar All-Stars
    p/w: hamandswish

24. Sayid J. says:

2 things:

1. Ballad of Mariano is at 11 teams, one more needed to be completed.

2. You guys may want to push this post back to the top for tonight’s open thread for all of the people that missed it this afternoon and want to participate.

25. Michael says:

Any idea if the 20 team RAB leagues from the last couple of years will still continue? I rather enjoyed being in a league where the talent was spread out and the waiver wire was of utmost importance.