Feb

Yanks sign David Aardsma

Bryan Hoch reports that the Yankees have signed right-handed relief pitcher David Aardsma to a MLB contract for 2012, with a team option for 2013. Aardsma, 30, missed the entire 2011 season due to elbow troubles, though he didn’t undergo Tommy John surgery until July. He’ll head right to the 60-day DL, so this is akin to a minor league deal, in that it won’t cost the Yankees a 40-man roster spot. He could return a year after surgery, giving the Yankees a midseason option. More on Aardsma to follow this afternoon.

Categories : Asides

1. Mister Delaware says:

Love this.

• DM says:

“so this is akin to a minor league deal, in that it won’t cost the Yankees a 40-man roster spot.”

But it’s guaranteed money for a guy who is already hurt. People went crazy for Chavez’s 900k but 500k for a guy on the DL is fine?

• Plank says:

This is about 2013 not 2012.

• Plank says:

Mostly about 2013*

• DM says:

Hey, I don’t mind. But it seems a bit inconsistent with the flood of Ibanez/Chavez contract complaints I saw. I think there’s more downside risk with a guy who’s already down with arm problems.

• Plank says:

I cant speak for others and i dont have strong feelings about the Chavez and Ibanez signings but I would say the Potential upside is much greater here and it has no downside in terms of blocking others who coulld potentially contribute.

• DM says:

Hmmm… I dont think either contract at those prices are blocking anyone. In fact I think that’s why those contracts were offered at those prices. But I do think there’s just as a strong a chance that the Yankees paid 500k for Aardsma to contribute nothing this year. And if he isn’t all the way back, they may not even pick up the option. Like I said, I have no problem with it. But 900k for Chavez reaction was unreal — but not a peep for 500k for a guy who may not pitch at all.

• Plank says:

I think the Yankees know he probably wont pitch this year. Again this move makes sense as a 2013 signing on the cheap. He would probably sign for a similar amount or more next offseason once hes healthy.

Also, im not knocking the chavez or ibanez signings. Im just giving a possible reason for being against them, which no one but you brought up.

• DM says:

I might disagree but I understand why they’re against them; I just wonder why they’re not against this too. I mean you really have to stretch to say an already injured player is somehow a safer bet than someone who might get injured. That’s my only point.

• Plank says:

Recovering from TJS is a safe bet in baseball. Recovering from old age isnt.

• DM says:

Maybe — but when that recovery progresses enough to contribute in a positive way is the question. And until Chavez and Ibanez falter — if they do — there’ll be nothing for them to recover from.

• Plank says:

Generally 18 months from the surgery. It can be a bit faster for RP.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You’re expecting logic and reason where there may be none.

• DM says:

I don’t know if I’m expecting it — but I try to steer things towards logic and reason. But it seems I’ll always run into rationalizations that boil down to nothing more than “But I hate that guy!” or “But I love that guy!” Once you get there you realize the pitbull jaws are locked down so tight that no evidence from reality will sway them.

2. Plank says:

That was unexpected. Lieberesque.

3. Bronx Ralphie says:

guess they are really serious about Mo retiring!

4. DM says:

After Rivera’s comments, I guess it’s time to start bringing in guys who have saves on their resume.

5. Joba and Aardsma as midseason bullpen reinforcements? Not bad.

6. AC says:

Almost like picking up an arm at trading deadline. Nice move by Cash.

7. Cy Pettitte says:

#fyeaCashman

love this move, even if he doesn’t contribute this year he should be a good 6/7th inning guy next year. out of curiosity, has anyone reported the team option price for 2013?

8. Bryan G says:

Excellent.

9. dean says:

Now they should be able to make Joba a starter again right? (Wrong)

10. Garcia says:

I’m into it. He’s relatively proven and will bounce back without issue at his age. With he and Joba getting healthy around the same time, we’ll have some insurance just in case Cory Wade can’t replicate last season.

Or, if you read/believe WallyMatt, Aardsma can compete with Soriano in the “Post-Mariano Sacrificial Lamb Sweepstakes,” where the Yankees will inevitably employ an ineffective closer in the short term to take the pressure off D-Rob replacing Mo in the long term.

Doofus.

11. Greg says:

Bullpen depth. I’m fine with this move.

12. CMP says:

Great signing.

Can’t have enough bat missing power arms in the pen.

13. Fernando says:

Solid low-risk signing. If he can recover, he is good addition to the bullpen.

14. Garcia says:

Frankly, I’m very excited about the Burt Reynolds signing as well. We haven’t had a solid ‘stache on the team in years.

15. Dropped Third says:

So cash just picked up a proven closer that can step in around the trade deadline, with a team option next year for nothing but 500K? Even if he has to spend a bunch of time in AAA to rehab they still have a bunch of bullpen depth and if he sucks, don’t pick up the option next year. Low risk/high reward move.

#NinjaSkillz

16. Jesse says:

Woo Hoo! Maybe he’ll be the heir apparent to Mo.

17. STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

Question: Would you have rather kept Andrew Brackman in the minors for 500k for 2012 and all his contract stipulations praying that he finally irons out all his pitching related issues OR

This Aardsma deal? With similar money that would have been invested in 2012 and 2013 ?

18. Ace says:

Great move. why not?

19. J.R. says:

This is very similar to the Dotel move that the Yankees made several years ago.

20. paul says:

pitching pitching and more pitcing…if he heals up and can throw..works for me…ibanez and chavez-veteran role players needed to make a solid bench in my opinion…guys like laird need at bats at AAA..pena nothing more then a def guy.

21. JohnC says:

Similar to what they did a few years ago with Jon Lieber

22. The other Steve S. says:

Hey, at least we have a guy tthat shows up ahead of Aaron on the alphabetical list of all time. We’re number 1.

23. Bavarian Yankee says:

meh, don’t like this one that much. Aardsma isn’t better than anybody in the pen. Has he options left? It’s an okay depth move but you’ll find guys like Aardsma any day of the season on waivers or the FA market.
    I think the Yanks see something special in him (I do not, not at all tbh), otherwise I don’t see the reason of signing him. But I trust Cash, he’s doing the right things.

24. Pat D says:

David Aardsma is also the first player alphabetically in Major League history.

25. Rainbow Connection says:

Sounds good to me.

26. Mike from Jersey says:

Too many Yankees fans in here sounding like they root for a team like the Mets. This move was done because the Yankees front office know what Derek knows – Mo is RETIRING after this year. They are getting their contingency plans in place now – smart “NINJA” move, Cashman.

And Chavez/Ibanez signings were smart, low-cost/high reward moves. Only Red Sox fans would doubt Cashman after the Colon/Garcia moves paid big dividends last year. We will have a better team this year.

27. Robinson Tilapia says:

Building the bridge to “Aw, Fuck!” begins.

28. Bean Tooth says:

So is this some of the AJ money at work? Granted, its peanuts for the Yanks, but at least theoretically, can this be credited to that little pile of money coming from Pittsburgh?

29. GardnergoesYardner says:

How many times has everyone said David Aardsma today? It’s such a fun name to say.

If he can duplicate 2009 next year, I’ll be happy.

30. Fernando says:

If he can duplicate 2010, I’d still be happy.

31. Fernando says:

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times says the contract includes 500K in incentives, while the option is for 500K as well. Even if he only pitches next year that’s still a good deal at that price.