Mar

ST Game Thread: Fenway South

(AP Photo/David Goldman)

No one knows how to over-manage quite like baseball managers, particularly Joe Girardi. Adam Warren is starting tonight’s exhibition game against the Red Sox because the Yankees didn’t want to give Boston a look at ace CC Sabathia so late in Spring Training. Nevermind that they’ve faced CC thirteen times since he came to New York, they have to hide him tonight just to make sure David Ortiz doesn’t see something he missed the other 59 times he faced him. I’m not complaining, but I’ve always found the idea of hiding starters from division rivals in Spring Training to be quite humorous. Anyway, here’s the lineup….

LF Brett Gardner
CF Curtis Granderson
RF Andruw Jones
3B Eric Chavez
DH Raul Ibanez
1B Brandon Laird
C Jose Gil
2B Ramiro Pena
SS Doug Bernier

RHP Adam Warren

Available Pitchers: RHP Dellin Betances, RHP D.J. Mitchell, RHP Cory Wade, RHP George Kontos, LHP Juan Cedeno, LHP Mike O’Connor, RHP Phil Wetherell, RHP Craig Heyer, RHP Zach Varce, LHP Aaron Dott, and SwP Pat Venditte all made the trip and are available if needed.

Available Position Players: C Gus Molina, 1B Addison Maruszak, 2B Kevin Russo, SS Carmen Angelini (!), 3B Jorge Vazquez, LF Colin Curtis, CF Justin Maxwell, and RF Cole Garner will replace the starters. C Mitch Abeita, IF Jose Toussen, and OF Austin Krum also made the trip and are available if needed.

Tonight’s game starts at 7:05pm ET and can seen on YES locally or ESPN nationally. Enjoy.

1. Tom Zig says:

Looks like Congress is getting involved in sports again:

Dear Congress, stay out of it.

Kthxbye

• forensic says:

Sean Payton must’ve misremembered what they did.

I’m just gale to see they finally decided to do this crap with the NFL instead of pretending that MLB is a cesspool of drug users and the NFL is populated by a bunch of angels.

• Pat D says:

I agree. Congress surely has much more important things to do. Like running re-election campaigns.

How could they really try to legislate something like this anyway. What happens on a football field can in no way be applied to anything outside a football field. You can’t go charging these guys with assault or anything.

Though I do remember, from one of those old Sports Illustrated “The Hidden NFL” tapes from the ’90′s, an offensive lineman saying the things they do on the field would likely be illegal off the field. But I guess that just proves my point?

• Bryan__from NZ says:

The common law disagrees with you.

The physical contact that football players inflict on each other is actually assault, irrespective of whether it’s committed on a football field. Given the NFL’s rules on player contact, players are deemed to be consenting to such contact. However the courts (at least in NZ and Australia in the context of rugby) have agreed that players cannot be deemed to have consented to contact that is blatantly outside what the rules envisioned. In that case the courts have accepted that a criminal assault has occurred, forming the basis for a criminal prosecution.

2. forensic says:

Tomorrow, Mason Williams will be up to play at home and Dante Bichette Jr. will be up to play on the road.

3. RetroRob says:

Carmen Angelini? Shouldn’t he be partway through his HOF MLB career by now?

Baseball is a cruel game.

4. teddy says:

ibanez looks awful

5. Tom says:

I don’t get the Ibanez is done comments… he seems to be able to fight off these 2 strike 86mph fastballs with relative ease.

\feeding the narrative

6. Pat D says:

How the hell is everyone tonight???

I just found out I’m getting laid off in 3 months! Freedom!! And unemployment!!! In a glass case of emotion!!!!!!

• RetroRob says:

Wow, that’s weird. I just read a story about layoffs at T-Mobile and actually thought I hope Pat D is okay. Then I came here…

It’ll all be good, even if it doesn’t feel that way now.

• Pat D says:

Yea, I’m at the Allentown center.

It’s funny because I’m currently one step away from being fired anyway. I really hope they’ll just let me work out the final 3 months and be done with it. But I put nothing past this company. Of course, the people who would fire me will just be losing their jobs, too, in the end.

It’s also funny that they sent everyone home today. It’s also funny because we’re supposed to change shifts on May 6. I wonder if we still will.

• RetroRob says:

I’m sure the people who would fire you are now more concerned about their own futures, or now lack there of with T-Mobile.

It would be difficult to fire you if they just announced you’re all being layed off. Then again you’re right. Asssume nothing.

Didn’t sound like you enjoyed working there, so that’s why you should view it as a good thing. Sometimes circumstances force you to do things you might not have done without the push.

• Pat D says:

It used to be a great place to work. Things have been going slowly downhill for about 2 years, and they’ve further accelerated in the last year or so. I took a month off unpaid last June/July hoping the time away would help, but it really didn’t, unfortunately.

• RetroRob says:

When great places to work become lousy places to work, that’s a sign things aren’t going well and that it’s not going to end well. I’ve been at companies like that, and I’ve stayed through difficult times hoping things will get better, but they don’t. They get worse.

Consider it a closed chapter, and that now you’ll be heading off for something better…even if you have no idea what that is yet.

7. the big dumbo says:

release ibanez asap

8. STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

Warren aint bad.

9. Drew says:

Can someone explain to me Mike’s obsession with Carmen Angelini?

• Mike Axisa says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been as wrong about a prospect as I was with Angelini. I thought he was a star in the making, a Tulo-type.

• vin says:

Who’s your number 2… JB Cox?

• RetroRob says:

Cox looked quite good. I thought he was a year to eighteen months away from being what D-Rob is now in the Yankees pen. He fell off the charts after he injured his arm, which to me is not the same as being wrong. Injuries happen.

In fairness, didn’t Angelini have a ton of injuries too during his important development years?

• CP says:

Missing on a pitcher because he gets injured is pretty much par for the course.

• Mike Axisa says:

Nah. Probably Drew Henson. Cox just got hurt and was never the same after TJ, one of the rare cases where the surgery ended his career.

• fin says:

You should have realized his name is too good for him to succeed.

10. IVoted4Kodos says:

That was the greatest slide of all time.

11. RetroRob says:

Recreating the monstrosity from Boston in Florida. Yuck.

JetBlue Park? JetBlue is HQ’d in New York. Boycott!

• Havok9120 says:

It DOES make a ton of sense from a training standpoint. Even I had to admit that.

• RetroRob says:

It makes perfect sense. The Yankees already did the same at Steinbrenner Field. Redesigned a few years back to have the same dimensions as Yankee Stadium.

12. JMK says:

Warren getting squeezed.

13. pistol pete says:

Ibanez has no bat speed left. It’s sad but he’s done. Please don’t let him take a single at bat away from someone else who just might prove to be productive.

14. CJ says:

Maybe Adam Warren is auditioning for Baltimore scouts for a trade for mark Reynolds (they are shopping him). Wish.

15. vin says:

“Adam Warren is starting tonight’s exhibition game against the Red Sox because the Yankees didn’t want to give Boston a look at ace CC Sabathia so late in Spring Training.”

Honest question… isn’t just possible the Yanks are giving CC the respect of not having to travel across the state to play an exhibition game? Look at the regulars who made the roadie. It’s Granderson plus guys without seniority (Gardner), or guys who can use the work (Ibanez, Chavez).

“Not giving the Sox a look at CC” is just an acceptable way to skimp on the number of veteran players making the trip. I’m sure when MLB says at least 4 regulars are to play in road games, they’re not talking about the likes of the backup corner infielder, and both halves of the platoon DH.

• forensic says:

I don’t buy it. Teams do it for home games too (i.e. Beckett tonight).

• vin says:

OK, then it’s just stupid… especially considering they won’t face the Sox for another 4 weeks. Anyone who has ever watched April baseball knows that it takes many pitchers 2-4 starts to round into form (see CC, and AJ for the other end of the spectrum).

16. Zooboy says:

I could use some beer and fried chicken.

17. JobaWockeeZ says:

Great fucking job Warren.

18. RetroRob says:

Kenny, calling Pedroia gritty is racist.

19. Cy Pettitte says:

Adam Warren hits Pedroia and gets the strikeout – true Yankee.

20. Mike Axisa says:

I hope Adam Warren goes into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee.

21. Needed Pitching says:

nice, hit Pedroia and strike him out at the same time.

I’m starting to really like Warren

22. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Haha nice one, Dustin.

23. STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

******FLAILS ARMS IN THE AIR FRANTICALLY******

Hopefully he has a terrific year in the minors.

Oh .. His strike out of Pedrioa on that inside fastball > Manny’s change-up k to Youkilis last march.

24. wilbo says:

hoping that betances get some work in this game. just set up mlb.tv on my ps3 and it is amazing, totally worth it…warren looks pretty good so far

25. m1kew says:

Got to love Warren … hits Pedroia AND strikes him out with the same pitch!

26. SevenAces says:

LOL my friend calls me JUST to tell me Crusty the Squirrel got hit in the wrist/arm, laughs a bit and then hangs up.

27. Chen Meng Wang says:

Well done Curtis…picked a great time to turn the game on lol.

28. RetroRob says:

Keep Cabral.

Option Rapada, or however his name is spelled. He probably will clear waivers, and if not, so be it.

• Needed Pitching says:

Rapada has a minor league deal, I believe – no option necessary (he may have an opt out though)

• RetroRob says:

They could also try something else entirely. While many Yankees fans are tired of Logan, his numbers overall the past two years look good. They could see what the market for Logan is, insert Cabral into Logan’s slot, and keep Rapada as the LOOGY.

• Needed Pitching says:

haven’t seen enough of Cabral. Is he effective against righties as well, or should he be limited to mostly lefties??

• DM says:

Rapada has an opt out at the end of ST.

29. Chen Meng Wang says:

Idk if the glove got Andruw.

30. Tom says:

Cook’s got a nice balk move… seems like the umps are going to let him spin while stepping back.

• Tom says:

To clarify it looks like he breaking the knee on his front leg (which means he has to go home) while stepping back off the rubber. If he steps off the rubber first he can do whatever he wants, but it looks like he’s breaking his front knee (which runners you as an indicator) as he’s stepping back.

31. Needed Pitching says:

trying to stay optimistic, Raul, but you’re making it difficult

32. RetroRob says:

Wow.

33. Chen Meng Wang says:

That was a great play.

34. JMK says:

Holy shit, Doug Bernier!?

35. jon says:

look at the range on Doug Bernier

36. wilbo says:

nice stop by bernier!

37. Steve D says:

going to game tomorrow. anybody know whos pitching? Thank you.

38. Chen Meng Wang says:

Minus the scuffling in the second, Warren’s looked very good tonight.

39. jon says:

so im watching the game on NESN and every other commercial is with some person from the red soxs in it.

the rem dog is selling windows and bobby v is selling furniture

40. handtius says:

i liked olendorf. was hoping he’d come back to the yanks on a minor league deal.

41. Cy Pettitte says:

Bernier for Cole Hamels.

42. Chen Meng Wang says:

Mike, what happened to the Shortstop Carmen Angelini? You wrote such a glowing profile on him 5 years ago, is he still considered a prospect, or has he become more of a minor league filler type?

43. fin says:

Chipper JOnes announced hes retiring at the end of the season today. Good article on it at MLB.com. The guy played for 1 team for 20yrs and never became a FA. He definately came off with alot class in what he had to say.

44. handtius says:

betances is fricken huge.

45. Bo Knows says:

Dellin giving his best sweaty freddy impression, he looks like someone dumped water on him

46. jon says:

Jose Gil told Betances to hit the bull

47. Tom says:

Francona the voice of reason on Iglesias…

The other ESPN guys keep asking is his bat ready and there being “some” questions – are they getting their scouting reports from Peter Gammons?

48. jon says:

man Gandhi is toast

49. forensic says:

I’m trying to give Ibanez the benefit of the doubt, but geez, 89 right down the middle? Come on!

• fin says:

Pretty hard to give him the benifit of the doubt. The upside is his batting average isnt dropping much now.

• CJ says:

Ibanez could not have had a worse spring training. He will hit so many 4-6-3 double plays and short flies to left with a man on 3rd w/ 1 out.

• fin says:

Its unfortunate, if he could have a little bounce back season, he could have been a nice addation to the Yanks. If he keeps this up, the Yankees cant possibly give him regular season at bats cant they?

50. Cy Pettitte says:

NoRaul.jpg

51. Cy Pettitte says:

I hope they hit some home runs at Miami, can’t wait to see this abomination in action

52. Havok9120 says:

Waxing poetic about Fenway and bemoaning how difficult Boston’s early schedule is. Not to mention ever Boston pitcher is apparently a true high level prospect.

Oh, this crew is gonna be a TREAT during the season.

I’m really loving Francona tho.

• fin says:

Its hard not to like Francona, he seems like a real good dude. Bobby V. now there is someone only a mother could love.

• RetroRob says:

Is that the ESPN feed? Can’t get that here in NY. I even went over to MLB.tv, and for some reason it’s not there either, but I can get the YES and NESN feeds.

BTW Both are a good three minutes behind the YES TV broadcast. Is that normal?

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, its ESPN. I haven’t lived in New York State for almost a decade, so I don’t get YES.

And much as you guys complain about Kay & Co….you’re spoiled and I hate you all.

53. Dicka24 says:

Man, Betances is all over the place. He’s one tall dude.

54. fin says:

I’m not watching the game, did Delin look real bad?

• Bo Knows says:

Not really, he had those moments where he would miss wide. He has 3 walks, some of those pitches were borderline, some were completely wide off the plate (mostly when he tried to throw his curve) but he also had a ton of quality strikes, with 3 punchouts.

• Havok9120 says:

Wild. But he’d figure it out for a batter at a time and look amazing. If he can’t figure it out as a starter, he’ll make one Hell of a David Robertson.

I didn’t see a ton though. I’m splitting my time between the ‘Cuse game, the Yanks, and writing an essay in German.

• DM says:

I think Robertson gets into deep counts for a different reason. And one misgiving I have about Betances as reliever is pitching from the stretch. He looked worse with runners on.

55. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Doug Berneir for prospect watch!

56. JobaWockeeZ says:

Betances is AJ extreme.

57. Karl Krawfid says:

Betances gives you those flashes.

58. Cy Pettitte says:

Cashman texting one of his mistresses. doesn’t even care about the game.

59. rbizzler says:

Quick fantasy question for folks for my NL-only auction league.

I give:

Greinke $27 and Axford $13

I get:

Gaby Sanchez $16, Jaime Garcia $11 and Kenley Jansen $5 (Holds and K’s)

I already have Kershaw, Anibal and Dan Hudson in the rotation and Motte and Hanrahan in the ‘pen.

Thoughts?

60. FLYankeesFan says:

I really hope he doesn’t hide CC on Tuesday night’s game against the Blue Jays. I’ve got tickets and I’d like to see him or someone who will actually be in the Yankees rotation this year get the start.

61. STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

I know Cory Wade has a 99% chance of making the bullpen but he has NOT looked good at mostly during this spring training.

Oh and since I was one of the few supporters of the Raul Ibanez deal … I’m willing to wat crow now. Dude can’t even catch up to a 89/90 mph fastball.

Maxwell at this point should get *some* consideration.

• JohnnyC says:

As far as I’m concerned Wade turned back into a pumpkin in September and I hope they include him out of the pen this season.

62. Havok9120 says:

ESPN crew crushing Yankee Stadium crowds now. And Fenway is the greatest place to play ever.

Sigh.

• rbizzler says:

What is the gist of their argument? And who is on the ESPN crew tonight? Not watching live, but DVRing for later after hoops.

• Havok9120 says:

Its Francona, Hershheizer (butchered the name), and Shulman I believe. Their argument is that the history and the fans are unmatched in baseball. Which I suppose is true, just not the way that they mean it.

Meanwhile, Yankee fans are terrible to opposing players. And Boston fans are friendly.

• rbizzler says:

Embarrassing. Having spent plenty of time at Fenway, I can honesty say that I have never been as horrified by fan behavior as I have been at that park.

63. pistol pete says:

Ibanez another 0 for, tonight’s version 0 for 3 and now 2 for 38 and 054. This is really getting ridiculous. Release him and split his at bats up, why waste them.

64. Chris A says:

I’m glad Mike is not our manager

65. Havok9120 says:

I’m really loving Schilling on ESPN. Good analysis.

It helps that he thinks Bobby V is a disaster waiting to happen.

66. bill says:

Betances 3 innings 4 ks and 3 walks. No hits. I hope they give him at least another 2 years to figure out being a starter. If he takes care of the control issues skys the limit for this kid

• Havok9120 says:

I hope he has a long leash, but I’m not sure I’m up for 2 seasons if he shows no progress through this one. That said, I’m not sure that I’m NOT up for two seasons if he shows no progress.

For me, he’s the biggest question mark player we have below the MLB club. My opinion of him changes all the time.

67. Dicka24 says:

I’m a Yankees fan from Boston guys. Fenway crowds can suck, but having been to Yankee Stadium, I have to agree that Yankees fans in NY are much worse. At a Sox Yankees game there were fights everywhere I turned. I’d imagine Philly fans might be the worst of all.

• fin says:

There is nothing like Philly football fans, baseball is different though. The Philies baseball fans are pretty tame, compared to Boston or NY. I was at a Philly/Dallas football game when I was a kid and I saw a dude punch this chick square in the face and knock her out, a fight that involved the whole section broke out.

68. Karl Krawfid says:

Oh my lord. Look how big Joba is.