Apr

Massacre: Yankees mount huge comeback in win over Sox

Source: FanGraphs

Sometimes there’s just not much you can say. The Yankees were losing 9-0 after five innings, I had accepted defeat. It’s perfectly normal, losing is part of the game and sometimes you get blown out. Then FOX cuts away for the ninth inning of Phil Humber’s perfect game (how about that?) and comes back 15 or 20 or however many minutes later, and it’s 9-5. Neat. Twitter tells me Nick Swisher hit a grand slam and I’m glad they’re making the Red Sox sweat. Then Robinson Cano doubled and Mike Aviles made an error, and things got really interesting.

You start to think … wow, they’re really going to make them earn this win. That’s always appreciated. Then Mark Teixeira goes deep and it’s a one-run game. Down one with eight outs to go in Fenway Park? Oh hell yes, this is doable. The poor Red Sox never had a chance once they got to within one run. The Yankees scored fifteen unanswered runs from the sixth through eighth innings, turning this sure loss into one of the most memorable wins of my lifetime. Is that hyperbole? Maybe it is. I don’t care.

• This is going to sound crazy, but at one point 18 of 21 Yankees reached base (!). That’s an .857 OBP (!!) for two and one-thirds turn through the lineup (!!!). Bananas.
  • Mark Teixeira hit two homers, one from each side of the plate. It was the 13th time he’s done that, extending his own Major League record. Believe it or not, the homer he hit from the left side cleared the Green Monster. It was his first opposite field homer as a lefty in three years and his second as a Yankee. Teixeira is hitting .288/.354/.508 following his recent hot streak. Hooray for that.
  • Starting with the number eight hitter and wrapping around the lineup to the two-hole, those four lineup spots went a combined 11-for-19 with three walks. Swisher had the grand slam and also hit the go-ahead two-run double in the eighth. He currently leads the AL with 20 RBI. Swish and Teixeira became just the 20th pair of teammates to each have 6+ RBI in a single game since 1918.
  • You know why the Yankees had a chance to win this game? Because the bullpen — specifically Clay Rapada, David Phelps and Rafael Soriano — kept it from getting out of control. It’s sounds funny that they kept a 9-0 then a 9-1 game close, but that’s what they did. With this offense and that ballpark, all they needed was a chance. Boone Logan and Cody Eppley did some fine work in the eighth and ninth innings.
  • The nine-run comeback ties the largest comeback in franchise history, done four other times. They’ve done it three times against the Red Sox. The last time they came back from nine down was The Jorge Posada Game. The Yankees also scored seven runs in back-to-back innings for only the second time in team history.
  • I don’t want to spend too much time on the negative given such an amazing game and comeback, so all I’m going to say this this: the Yankees can use Thursday’s scheduled off-day to skip Freddy Garcia‘s next start and they would be foolish not to take advantage.
  • MLB.com has the box score video highlights, FanGraphs some more stats, and ESPN the updated standings. I can’t imagine we’ll see a better WPA graph this season and the one above. That’s glorious.

The weather forecast for Sunday is not good at all, so the final game of this three-game set may not happen. If it does, it’ll be CC Sabathia against Daniel Bard in the ESPN Sunday Night game. If not, the Yankees will head to Texas for their three-game series starting Monday.

Categories : Game Stories

1. DERP says:

So if we are rained out tomorrow, do we skip Hughes and go Sabathia, Kuroda, Nova for Texas? We can then throw Hughes out there for the first game of the Tigers series in Garcia’s place.

• winter says:

I don’t know how much difference there is putting Hughes up vs. Detroit as opposed to Texas. But either way Garcia’s not making his next start. Andy can’t get here soon enough…

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Hughes with all his fly balls would perform much better in Detroit than in Texas. Texas heat + bandbox + fly ball tendencies + scary lineup = death.

I’ll take my chances in a bigger ballpark with only two scary hitters as opposed to 9 really good ones.

2. Guest (a different one) says:

Well, that was fun.

3. BK2ATL says:

Just…what a game. Incredible.

After watching El Clasico in one bar with my friends, one of my buddies and I went to another bar and started to watch the Yanks’ game. When it got to 9-0, we finished up our beers and paid the tab. As we’re headed back to our cars, we both make the offhand comment “now watch the Yanks come back and win this, esp. since we’re leaving.” This was around the 4th inning or so. We (Yanks) looked pathetic.

I make some stops on the way home, my buddy texts me, “What did we talk about at the bar?? Now the game is 9-8.” Of course, I get home and click over to Fox…to see…the rest of “The Massacre at Fenway.”

In the words of one of hip-hop’s greatest storytellers, Ice Cube, “Today was a good day.”

4. BK2ATL says:

If tomorrow’s game is a rainout, it might be a blessing in disguise to get the bullpen some rest as well as the regulars. Texas is on fire right now. We’re gonna need all of our bullets for this series, including CC.

• jjyank says:

True, though CC vs. Bard is mouthwatering.

• Havok9120 says:

All true. I would like to finish beating up on the Sox while we can go. They’re a wreck right now and I’d like to take advantage, because they will almost certainly right the ship. I also want to hear that ESPN crew do another Yankee/BoSox game.

That said, breaking our 13 game extravaganza into two 6 game blocks would help the team more than 1 additional game right now is likely to, so I’d take either outcome.

• Jesse says:

Good points.

5. Neo says:

” I can’t imagine we’ll see a better WPA graph this season and the one above. That’s glorious”. Glorious is the right word. My teenage daughter is just a casual fan but loves the Yankees and hates the sox. (I’ve tried to raise her right!). She never cared about WPA but this one she thought was one of the coolest baseball things she had ever seen. So do I!!

• jjyank says:

Your daughter is a very smart girl. Keep her informed of the wonders of the Yankees WPA graph. Amazing things will happen.

6. Pat D says:

Wouldn’t a rainout prevent them from being able to skip Freddy since they won’t have another off day till May 7?

• forensic says:

No, they’d still have the off day and be able to skip him with everyone else moving back a day for the Texas series.

• Pat D says:

Yea but then after, by my figuring, you’d have to either have someone make a spot start or have a couple guys pitch on 3 days rest.

• Sarah says:

it looks like Nova/#4 starter would have to start on short rest if they skip Freddy’s spot in the rotation. Presumably he would start Friday at home if today is a rainout, and then with no off days, he’s be pitching on the 1st again.

I doubt they skip Freddy, if there’s a rainout. I guess they could use Phelps as a backup to Nova on short rest if they did decide to skip Freddy.

7. Zanath says:

Yeah, I had given up on this one. Went out to do some errands, and decided to check the score. I turned it on after Tex’s homerun. What an amazing game.

8. chcmh says:

What beautiful baseball day. To switch to that amazing perfection in Seattle, then return to find the score at the Fens much more palatable. Fox went back to Fenway and my son jumped off the couch and yelled, — ‘look at the score!’ – and it got oh so much better from there. The whole night we had a pleasant baseball buzz going on.

9. MB says:

I listened some of it on 880 when I was in my car on the way out when Swisher hit the grand slam. I heard FOX switched to the perfect game then. Just wondering did it still show this game in like a corner screen or something? I watched video highlights on MLB and I noticed Swisher’s HR call was by John Sterling instead of Joe Buck

• jim p says:

No. It was all Seattle, for 15-20 minutes. Why would people tuned in to watch a Yankee/Red Sox game want to be watching the Yankee/Red Sox game after all?

• Havok9120 says:

They did it that way for a minute or two and then switched completely to the White Sox game. I don’t blame them.

10. Neo says:

” I can’t imagine we’ll see a better WPA graph this season and the one above. That’s glorious”. Glorious is the right word. My teenage daughter is just a casual fan and never cared about WPA but this one she thought was one of the coolest baseball things she had ever seen. So do I!!

11. mustang says:

The game thread was fun its cool to be at home and enjoy this kind of game with a bunch of Yankees fans.

Not too many arguments just Yankees fans taking in the moment.

PS -I was wrong about ESPN the game was the second story well done.

12. paul a says:

Want a good laugh, go over to Red Sox nation, their fans are having a full blown meltdown

• jjyank says:

I’ve been reading OTM all night, it’s glorious.

• mustang says:

link please

• jjyank says:

First comment on the thread was enough to almost make me spit my beer out.

• mustang says:

Thank you because I actually never been to the site now that I have I like to tell you all that love you.

Seriously WOW!!!!

LMAO just love it

• mustang says:

“Hope is getting to be in short supply.”

By Ben Buchanan

Can anyone here see Joe, Mike or Ben writing a line like this even at 4-10 in April? 4.5 games back!!!!

I can’t.

• Havok9120 says:

He’s a really cool guy though. And a quality writer. They’re just all a tad demoralized, and its hard to blame them.

• mustang says:

Fair enough, but most of those comments makes one appreciate RAB.

• Havok9120 says:

Oh, heck yes. As much as that group of guys amuse me, they’re mostly insane. It’d be like taking the worst 15-20% of RAB, including the random trolls, and making that the entirety of the commenters.

In other words, it’d be Hell.

• Jesse says:

If you ever get the time be sure to go back to the night they’re eliminated and read that thread.

• Havok9120 says:

I can’t thank you enough for this suggestion. It hadn’t occurred to me, though I had considered reading through some of September’s Game Threads and didn’t think it was worth it.

It so is.

Here’s the link for those who find this later:

• forensic says:

I read through some a few days ago when you first posted that and their comment sections are so hard to follow. Sort of nesting, but everyone gets some bold, and then regular, and then random italic.

2251 comments on that thread. It might be worth it, but I might go insane trying to read it before finishing…

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, the format is only slightly less maddening than LoHud’s. It doesn’t give me too much trouble tho, unless they go into a long chain. Responses get hard to follow after 2 or 4.

Their meme of “Carl Crawford Sucks” = hello was hilarious. Especially that every single regular adopted it.

• Havok9120 says:

“Here come NYY’s scrub relievers. TB is definately still in this.”

“George Kontos? What is a George Kontos?”

“I think it’s an island of the coast of Greece.”

Awesome post.

13. KenC says:

AJ Burnett: 8 ip 2 walks 9 ks and 0 EARNED RUNS -.-

14. Dino Velvet says:

Uh-oh. John Henry had a closed door meeting with Valentine after the game.

15. jjyank says:

“The Yankees scored fifteen unanswered runs from the sixth through eighth innings”

Repeated for emphasis. How awesome is that? Seriously. How fucking awesome is that? The Yankees didn’t even battle. They didn’t trade runs back and forth to eventually come out on top. No, they just stopped and said “You know what, the Sox pitching is teh suxxors. Let’s lay siege to that that pitching staff. It is not often in a major league game that you will see that many runs scored at all, let alone consecutive, unanswered runs. Let’s enjoy this amazing offensive display.

16. Matt DiBari says:

I saw someone refer to this as the Valentine’s Day Massacre.

I like that

17. Cy Pettitte says:

as far as regular season games go, this is up that among the top one’s I’ve ever seen. To come back from down 9-0 with 16 unanswered runs against the Sox at Fenway….just incredible.

18. forensic says:

Some nice notes in Chad Jennings’ recap (as usual). I recommend checking it out to see that the prior times the Red Sox had stuff like this happen to their bullpen, it was also the Yankees.

Also, first time since 1961 that the Yanks have had someone with multiple homers in 3 straight games. Pretty cool.

19. mustang says:

Can’t stop watching the highlights.

20. mustang says:

On Over The Monster:

“Definitely needs to get younger.

WMB and Lavarnway for Youk and Salty seem obvious.

Actually, I’d keep Youk (unless we get something solid in trade), but put him on a rotation to PH and spell WMB, Adrian, and Papi as needed.”

Now where have I heard this before?

LOL

21. Clayton says:

I’ll be honest and after watching the end of Humber’s game, I turned off the TV. I was told I needed to watch the highlights. Amazing.

The best part: on mlb.tv they had no announcers until Buck and company came back at Teix’s at bat. It might have been the greatest 1/3 of an inning I have ever seen on TV. Just the game sounds with no one in the background. Why can’t I have this feed all the time?

22. Plank says:

Any thoughts on how long Bobby lasts? I think he has a compelling case to say the reason they have started so poorly is a result of the offseason. It feels like this is turning into Cherington vs. Valentine, really Cherington vs. Lucchino by proxy. I guess we will see who holds ownership’s favor sooner rather than later, I’m guessing one of them won’t be there in 2013.

• jjyank says:

I would be shocked if Valentine opened 2013 as the Red Sox Manager. I mean, we’re just a couple weeks into the season, and we’ve already seen public battles between player(s) and manager. I said this when he was hired, and I’ll say it again now: Valentine is not the right personality for a big market franchise, especially one that finds itself in so much inner controversy and turmoil. Bobby V isn’t exactly a calming force, as we’ve seen.

• Havok9120 says:

This, with a caveat.

If he could tone down CLASHING with the players, he might do some good right now. He’s become something of a lightning rod, insulating the players from the fans, something that’s needed when a team is underperforming. Unfortunately, he does this through creating other distractions with poor management and by making silly comments as opposed to by diffusing the situation more diplomatically (and quietly). What’s more, he has no control over when the aforementioned silly comments come out, which means he creates distractions when nothing is needed.

I agree he’ll almost certainly be gone next season, though he’ll be here for all of this one unless the BoSox continue their chronic underperformance for most/all of this season.

• Plank says:

Any time there is a strong manager being replaced, the new manager will be under the microscope. Anyone remember “Clueless Joe”? When Girardi first started, he was described as testy and possibly not able to handle the scrutiny of NY.

The RS FO has shown they are smart, I think they will take their time making any personnel changes. I also think the rift between different factions of management is real and could have a negative effect on the team, so I think some change will be made.

• Havok9120 says:

I think that their team (which is much better than their early play indicates) will pick him up and keep him from being dismissed during the season. I think he’s gone for 2013 tho, unless they rebound big and he somehow looks good while that’s happening.

• Jesse says:

I don’t think he gets fired mid-season. The FO should know what they were getting into when they hired him. If he gets fired, it’s after the season, if not, they don’t renew his contract after next year.

23. Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

The Red Sox have just 11 wins in their last 41 games dating back to last September 1st-a .268 winning percentage which is just 43 wins over the course of 162 games. Just amazing. I’m loving every minute of it.

• Havok9120 says:

I really like the new handle.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

Thanks!

• forensic says:

Since you’ve changed it (sort of), and I looked like an ass a while back, hopefully you’ll say now. You said that handle has nothing to do with the pitcher, then what does it refer to?

Unless I’m really gullible and it’s totally about him…

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

It was just something I thought of at the beginning of last year. I thought it was time for a change with Garcia struggling and Andy on his way.

• Jesse says:

I actually didn’t see the handle until you pointed it out, then I laughed. “Get Phelps up” is the new meme, isn’t it?

Oh, and FYI, the Astros have a better record in that span than Boston.

24. Bavarian Yankee says:

noooooooooooo, I turned off the tele after the 3rd :(

unbelievable comeback, destroying the BoSox is always nice :D

25. Monterowasdinero says:

Just for kicks and to try to understand the huge Bobby V ego, I checked his stats as a player. They were alot weaker than I expected, remembered. Must have been the hype of his debut at 19 and his Connecticut/Mets connections.

26. Brian in NH says:

that graph is just astonishing.

27. 86general says:

Which is the more unusual event, historically:

1. A perfect game

- or –

2. Coming back from 9-0 with 4 innings left?…..or 9-1 with 3 innings left….or scoring 15 unanswered….or scoring 7 in two consecutive…..or going 18-21 OBP….

28. Skip says:

Just another point here – and not to take away from the awesomeness of yesterday’s game, but did anyone see that first inning graphic about ARod being 0-14 against lefties? He’s gotta regress to his mean sooner or later right? He’ll start crushing lefties again and mash his home runs.

29. jjyank says:

Pursing through the OTM game thread again…brings a smile to my face.

• jjyank says:

Here’s a gem I found:

“Disgraceful.
      Replace Valentine with a Magic 8-ball.
      Replace the FO with a Ouija board operated by a brain-damaged chimp.
      Hey, it couldn’t make things any worse.”

30. Monterowasdinero says:

$wish is going to have a tremendous season as I have said all along. He is not my favorite but kudos to him for a great game. I think the double off the centerfield wall was off a changeup which is not Swish’s pitch.

• I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

He’s totally locked in. If he keeps any remote semblance of this up for the season he’s going to make it extremely tough for Cash to let him walk. Curse this $189mm thing.

• Kosmo says:

I think Swisher is a solid player, having said that I´m not his greatest advocate, especially in the postseason, but I can´t imagine NY letting him walk. There isn´t anyone within the org. or outside the org. to replace him.

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Can we stop focusing on this $189 million stuff? As proven by “Too Much Moneyball” there’s no problem with paying a luxury tax!

31. gc says:

I couldn’t watch the game yesterday due to other events. After reading the game thread this morning and reading the typical complaints about the FOX broadcast, I expected to head over to the MLB site to check out the video highlights and hear Joe Buck being all disappointed with the Yankees comeback in his calls.

Teixeira’s three-run homer:

The seven run eight inning:

As I suspected, Yankee fans hear what they want to hear when it comes to these announcers. Sounds to me as if Buck was really into the comeback when doing the play by play. There was excitement in his voice, he touched on the improbability of such a comeback, and they were some very entertaining calls.

I’ve stated before that I find it amusing the lengths some people go when it comes to voicing their displeasure with certain announcing teams. The FOX team generally gets destroyed around here for being blatantly anti-Yankees. Yet I’ve found that friends of mine who root for other teams feel the same way about these same announcers being against THEIR teams. Even when they’re playing the Yankees. In reality, if you try and listen without being in 100% homer mode, you’ll find that they are about as even handed as can be expected. They point out negative things that honestly deserve to pointed out, and those are the things people harp on. Yet when they highlight the positive things, those things are overlooked.

I found it to be hilarious during the 2009 World Series. I try to watch games either by myself or with very few people. I live in the Philly area but was in NJ for the first three games. I watched those games with some Yankee fan friends of mine, and they wouldn’t shut up about how anti-Yankees and pro-Phillies the FOX team was being. I honestly didn’t hear the blatant bias they were speaking of, but whatever. Then for games four through six, I was back home in PA and watched with some Phillie fan friends of mine. They wouldn’t shut up about how anti-Phillies and pro-Yankees the FOX team was being. It was pretty funny.

• RetroRob says:

National broadcast teams like FOX will sound anti-Yankees to Yankee fans. Yet that will change as soon as the Yankees start losing by a good margin, as they did yesterday, at which point the FOX team will start praising the Yankees offense. Basically, they want to maintain interest. Most teams playing the Yankees will be viewed as underdogs, so they get played up by the FOX team. Once the Yankees start losing, then they’ll start talking up the Yankees.

For the most part, I don’t think they care one way or the other who wins. They want a close game to maintain interest, and if they game is close, they are going to do and say whatever they have to to make it sound close.

32. AndyisDandy says:

Just made an over the monster account. I feel like a covert agent.. This won’t start a site vs site flame war right?

33. Well, ive been to all the different sights today and for a welcome change i havent heard anyone slamming swish. Whats up w/that?????? Ive been a loyal Yankee fan for longer than a lot of you have been around, and i still cant get used to yankee fans cuttin down the Yankees, individually or as a whole. Sometimes i feel like becoming a fan of a team that has fans of a different ilk.

• chmch says:

We, I’m fourth generation Bronx boy Yankee fan, raised on University Ave, and I knew eight ways to sneak into old Yankee Stadium, but I also remember lots of my uncles and cousins and my old grand dad trashing Yankee players of all sorts through the decades. We just didn’t have the internet to see it all in glorious technicolor. (do they still have technicolor?) The idea there was a time Yankee fans didn’t have issues with the performance of some player is is a little off to me. The Bronx has never exactly been a neighborhood of ummm…daisy fields and happy unicorns dancing through the blue bonnets.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

Thank you. My experience in the Bronx (esp in childhood) is the same. I remember as a kid walking into delis with the game on in the back and the guys just freaking out over some player or another. Never be another Mick. Yankees are washed up. Never be another DiMaggio. What’s with these guys?