Apr

Yanks come back for extra innings win over O’s

Was it a textbook win? Absolutely not. Does it still count as a win? Hell yes. Sometimes you have to win ugly games, and that’s exactly what the Yankees did Tuesday night against the Orioles.

(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

Welcome To The Bigs, Rook

Wei-Yin Chen is technically a rookie, but he spent seven years pitching in the Japanese league before coming stateside this past winter. His first three pitches in MLB were balls, and the fifth was hit out of the park by Derek Jeter for a leadoff homer. The Cap’n has led off four of his team’s five games this season with a hit, this being the first dinger. One batter later, Nick Swisher doubled off the wall. One batter after that, Robinson Cano flew out to deep center. Then he hit Alex Rodriguez with an 0-2 pitch. Chen would escape the inning without giving up any more runs, but it sure looked like the kid was going to have a long night. And then …

Sweaty Freddy

(Rob Carr/Getty Images)

I could have sworn the Yankees traded A.J. Burnett back in January, but it sure looked like that was him on the mound in a Freddy Garcia costume on Tuesday. You could tell right away that Sweaty Freddy was off because he was very wild, leaving stuff up in the zone or yanking his splitter out of the strike zone. He ran the count full on the first four hitters and five of the first six hitters he faced, and he allowed three (!) runs to score on wild pitches. Garcia threw five (!!!) wild pitches, one more than all of last season and the first five wild pitch game since Ken Howell of the Phillies on April 5th, 1989. That was Joe Girardi‘s second career game. Yeah, it’s been a while.

All told, Freddy threw just 52 strikes out of his 98 pitches, allowing three walks and hitting another guy with a pitch. The Orioles had men on base seemingly the entire time he was on the mound, and for whatever reason, Girardi decided to leave him in with a man on third and two outs in the fourth even though Nick Markakis was asking to be LOOGY’d. Garcia was left in to plunk Markakis and allow the runner to score on a wild pitch. It was quite dumbfounding. Baltimore jumped out to a 4-1 lead on the play, meanwhile…

Shut Down

A-Rod got hit by that pitch in the first and was the last Yankee to reach base until Russell Martin singled with one out in the fifth, ending a span of twelve straight retired by Chen. The southpaw pitched out of that jam, but he wasn’t so luck in the sixth. Three of the first four Yankees to bat in the inning reached base, and the first run came around to score on an Andruw Jones sacrifice fly. Buck Showalter left Chen in, and he should have escaped the inning had Mark Reynolds not butchered Martin’s ground ball. A run scored on the play, and then Brett Gardner singled in the tying tun one batter later.

Showalter left his young pitcher out to dry, costing him a shot at his first big league win in an effort to … what? Steal one more out? I don’t really get it, but who cares, it was to the Yankees benefit. Through six full innings, the Yankees and Orioles were all knotted up at four.

Blown Opportunity

(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

With Chen out of the game, the Yankees had a chance to take the lead in the seventh. Matt Lindstrom plunked Swisher with a pitch to open the frame, but he was thrown out at the plate on Cano’s double. I actually didn’t have a problem with the send, the ball went into the left field corner and it took a perfect relay from J.J. Hardy to get the bang-bang play at the plate. I can understand holding the runner with no outs, but I am all for the aggressiveness since another runner was sitting in scoring position. It didn’t work out, that’s life.

The Bullpen Show

As I said the other day, I hope David Phelps goes into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee. Dude was throwing darts in his 2.1 IP of work, strikeout out four batters, all looking. He has yet to allow a baserunner this year — granted, it’s just three innings — and has been very impressive. I thought he was lifted too early — and in hindsight he obviously was — but hey, it was the eighth inning and gosh darn it, that’s David Robertson‘s inning.

D-Rob threw a scoreless eighth, and Boone Logan allowed a dinky little ground ball single to Nolan Reimold before Cory Wade bailed him out. He pitched out of a bases loaded situation in the ninth before striking out the side in the tenth. Clay Rapada chipped in to get them through the eleventh, even striking out a right-handed hitter. They can’t all be 1-2-3 innings, but these fellas did the job. Their combined line: 6.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 K.

RBI machine. (Rob Carr/Getty Images)

Raul Ibanez, True Yankee™

My favorite part of Spring Training is when we all look back at it and laugh. Ibanez was atrocious all throughout March, and yet there he was delivering the game-winning hit against the Orioles on Tuesday. Now don’t get me wrong, he could still be terrible this season, in fact the odds are in favor of it, but he got the job done tonight.

The rally all started with Cano, who doubled off the third baseman’s glove and moved over to third on A-Rod’s ground out. After Teixeira’s chopper to second made it two outs with the man still on third, the Orioles intentionally walked Granderson to get to Ibanez but did not intentionally walk Ibanez to get to the noodle bat of Chris Stewart. Pedro Strop was throwing serious cheddar, but he hung a slider in a two-strike count and Ibanez doubled over Markakis’ head in right to give the Yankees the lead in the 12th. If game-winning extra-inning hits against the Orioles in April don’t make you a True Yankee™, nothing does.

Leftovers

(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

Mariano Rivera blew the save in a one-run game on Opening Day, but he slammed the door with no issues in this one. Endy Chavez and Markakis strikeouts book-ended a Hardy fly ball. Pretty routine, business as usual for the Sandman.

Prior to Ibanez’s double, the Yankees were 1-for-16 with runners in scoring position. The Orioles were 0-for-8, if that makes you feel any better. So far, this season, the Yankees are just 9-for-51 (.176) with men on second and/or third. That’s going to correct at some point, and it will be glorious.

It was one stupid start, but Garcia is going to have to pitch better going forward. The strike zone was quite large in this one and he still couldn’t take advantage. Michael Pineda and Andy Pettitte are coming back before long, and he’s the obvious candidate to get lifted from the rotation.

Jeter’s leadoff homer was the 24th of his career, moving him passed Rickey Henderson for the sole possession of the franchise record. Rickey spent five years in the Bronx. Rickey was good.

Box Score, WPA Graph & Standings

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the other nerdy stuff, and ESPN the updated standings.

Source: FanGraphs

Up Next

The Yankees will look to complete the sweep on Wednesday night, when CC Sabathia gives it a go against Jake Arrieta. They’re going to need some innings from the big man.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Kevin G. says:

Woo! I’m surprised this game didn’t get rained out.

2. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Rickey was Damn Good. He is arguably on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th All-Time team starting in CF or LF and leading off. He’s among the three or four best Lead Off hitter of ALL Time.

• Karl Krawfid says:

What the hell are you talking about? He IS the best lead off hitter of all time.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Ty Cobb would like a word with you.

• Dino Velvet says:

I think it’s a tie between rickey and pete rose

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Mr. Cobb is holding on Line Two.

• CP says:

How much was Cobb a lead off hitter?

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I don’t have an answer as to the percentage of games but I believe it was by far the majority of his games. When the first round of Hall of Famers were inducted, Cobb got a higher percentage of votes than Ruth. All the same writers who got to see both of them play, voted with a higher level of support for Cobb than Ruth. He was a doooshbag and racist and miserable human being, but he’s Ty Fucking Cobb.

• pat says:

Yeah, but the Babe was allegedly, maybe, possibly, part black. Being a virulent racist in 1936 probably helped Cobb’s cause.

• forensic says:

For the years BR has splits, which appears to be 1918 and later (little less than half his career), Cobb batted first for 4 of his 5819 PA’s. By far he batted 3rd the most.

• fin says:

Eh, becasue the writers voted more for cobb by no means does it mean he was better than Ruth. A lot of old time players and writers did not like how Ruth changed the game from small ball to the power game. IMO, Ruth had a far bigger impact on the game, would fit into todays game much better than cobb and would have been a hall of fame pitcher to boot. I dont think many people would take cobb over Ruth if you got to pick one to have on your team today. I’m not taking anything away from Cobb but I dont think he was better than Ruth. The only player maybe as good as Ruth was Bonds.

• RetroRob says:

You’re right. Cobb was certainly was one of the all-time greats, but Ruth was a far greater player, and a game changer the likes that had not been seen before or after.

• Dino Velvet says:

hard to tell.

The splits for the first half of his career are unavailable. For the second half of his career he led off only 4 times.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I sit corrected. I’ve always looked at his stats and thought Lead Off hitter and believe he did that quite a bit earlier in his career. I guess I’d still say I’d rather lead him off than all but one or two players ALL TIME, base on his production. My original point on Ricky is while he’s the best or second or third best Lead Off hitter of all time, he might not make the 1st Team All Time. I’d put Ruth in RF, Mays in CF and Williams in LF. That would put the best Lead off hitter on Team 2 or maybe 3 if Cobb beats him out on Team 2. Thanks for looking that up.

• forensic says:

It’s actually interesting, there’s an argument for each of them being on the #2, #3, or #4 all-time teams at their positions (Williams, Musial, Bonds vs. Mays, Mantle, DiMaggio). I’d just fudge it somehow so they’re on different teams. :-)

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Anyone else remember Rickey leading off, Randolph batting second, Mattingly third, Winfield fourth, Jack Clark or Don Baylor or Mike Easler batting fifth and then the major drop off to Pagliarulo and Pasqua ;)

• fin says:

Yep I do. I was a about 10 during those years and Rickey was my favorite player and I couldnt beleive it when the Yankees got him. Mattingly eventually took over as my favorite player, but man did I love Rickey.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Lay off Danny Pasqua. :)

Of course I remember, but the blip in the radar that was an old Jack Clark probably isn’t worth remembering much.

What about Ty Cobb, though? ;)

• JAG says:

In fairness to Jeter on that record, he has played over 500 more games batting 2nd than leadoff. He has 3900 PA batting 1st, so it’s not as though he’s had his full career’s worth of opportunities there. Rickey still did it in less and is still an amazing player, but Jeter’s done some fine work too.

• the Other Steve S. says:

Try to imagine Jeter standing on the field with a mike in his hands tell ing the crowd he is the greatest of all time. Tough to picture.

3. flamingo says:

Their combined line: 6.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 K.

This was hands down the best part of the night. After the win, of course.

I thought Jeter’s HR was his 25th, though.

4. Dino Velvet says:

The cellar dwelling Sox losing was icing on the cake.

• Jesse says:

With the Daniel Bard experiment already off to a rocky start in the process.

• MannyGeee says:

nothing makes me happier. It was a disaster from inception, they shoulda made him the closer from the word go and spent the resources on a #5 starter.

• Brian in NH says:

This i agree with. Bard isn’t like Hughes or Joba who were legit starters in the minors whose “stuff played up better in the pen.” I’m pretty sure Bard was a reliever his whole milb career. even with the 99 mph gas.

• Brian in NH says:

Trying not to focus on the Sox until we face them. They started off rough last year, and for a good part of the season they were a top team. Every win and loss counts though. If they one one of those early losses last year they make the playoffs despite the historic collapse. They will be good, and they will play the Yanks tough. And if the last few years have been any sort of barometer as to how the season will play out, they will likely win 6 to 8 of the first 9 games against NYY.

5. Johnny says:

I was just watching highlights of Phelps’ performance. He was amazing. Check out those two-seamers; that stuff is lethal:

6. Mark says:

I ain’t mad, but those strikeouts for Mo were not even close to the strike zone. I was horrified when Rapada got to face a righty, but he struck him out, nice job, now hopefully he never pitches against a righty again.

• gageagainstthemachine says:

the first one was borderline…the second one was either a) a make-up for the 3rd strike on ARod earlier (that wasn’t even in the same zipcode) or b) the ump was saying to himself “Screw this. It’s late. It’s cold. I’m going home!”

either way…I’ll take it!

7. forensic says:

Great manager, that Buck Showalter. Leave Chris Davis to face Rapada instead of Betemit batting righty? Walk to get to Ibanez but not Stewart? Pitiful moves.

CC better figure something out for an early April start finally because it appears to only be two LOOGY’s and Soriano available tomorrow (if Soriano is even actually available). Gotta go deep into the game regardless of how he’s pitching.

• Johnny says:

Actually, I’d say walking Granderson in the first place was the bad move. We all know Granderson is a good hitter, but I maintain that a manager has to look at the current situation, not just the numbers and the player’s historical ability.

What I mean is this—going into this game, Ibanez has collected a variety of RBIs and has been hitting consistently. Meanwhile, Granderson looks like he couldn’t hit water from a boat right now. In that position, I would have pitched to Granderson, not Ibanez.

• forensic says:

Oh, I totally agree with you on that. Ibanez is the one guy I wouldn’t pitch to in that situation, he’s hitting and whiffing like he’s not happy only having the top spot on the Yankees single-season K list. But, once you walk him, you have to walk Ibanez. No excuse not to.

• forensic says:

Sorry for the confusion, the ‘he’s hitting and whiffing…’ stuff was about Granderson, not Ibanez obviously. Poorly written.

• Johnny says:

Yeah, walking Ibanez after walking Granderson makes more sense than pitching to Ibanez. From what I’ve read Stewart can’t hit a lick, and with the bases loaded you’d have a forceout at every base. It was a bad move on Showalter’s part and he was punished for it.

• Plank says:

RBIs and small sample sizes? That’s your justification for avoiding Ibanez?

• Johnny says:

Who’s hotter right now: Granderson or Ibanez?

Thank you.

• Plank says:

Hansel. He’s so hot right now.

• Plank says:

Granderson is a reigning MVP candidate and Raul Ibanez is a 40 year old who struggled last year.

You’re welcome.

• Johnny says:

Does it seem to you that Raul Ibanez is struggling now? Do you look at him and think, “6 RBIs… a home run… an extra base hit… two starts in five games… that guy’s not hitting at all!” And do you look at Granderson and say, “Five starts… no RBIs… three hits… that guy’s lighting up batters like christmas trees!”

Did you read my original comment? Humans aren’t robots. They don’t always play to their baseball card. I’ll copy/paste my original missive in case you missed it:

I maintain that a manager has to look at the current situation, not just the numbers and the player’s historical ability. Going into this game, Ibanez has collected a variety of RBIs and has been hitting consistently. Meanwhile, Granderson looks like he couldn’t hit water from a boat right now.

• Johnny says:

*That should be “lighting up pitchers,” not “batters.”

• Plank says:

2012 season stats mean nothing right now. At any point now and going forward, Granderson is the safer bet to get a hit than Ibanez. Streaks happen, but they are not predictable going forward. They start and stop randomly.

You are acting like this is the first season you’ve followed the team closely so everything is magnified. You are going off of 3 and 4 game samples.

• Johnny says:

Well, we clearly have different perspectives on life. I’m talking about how a batter feels at that moment in time; their body language, the way they’re thinking; the swings they’re taking… you’re talking about sample sizes and statistics. I’m sure Granderson will be hitting fine in five games. But he’s not hitting right now, where as the man that got the game winning hit is hitting. My point stands; I wouldn’t have walked Granderson.

• Plank says:

I have no idea what your perspective on life is and I certainly haven’t shared mine here.

Did Granderson’s body language change from the last inning of last night’s game to the first inning of today’s game? He just hit a home run. Did Ibanez’s body language and ‘what he is thinking’ change last night? He just grounded out weakly.

More likely is that Granderson is a much better player than Ibanez and while one AB for each player means nothing, over the course of the season, and at any moment during the season, Granderson is a better bet to get a big hit than Ibanez.

If you have some knowledge that a players’ last 10 ABs have a greater bearing on their next AB than their overall numbers, I would love to see it. I love learning about baseball. I would say you are way off on this. You have it out for managers and it shows in odd ways.

It’s like you just found a baseball prospectus book from 2002 and just learned about the statistical revolution. You have all the snark and pomposity and none of the skills.

• RollingWave says:

Not to meantion leaving in Chen about 2 batters too late…

Still, Chen showed pretty good stuff and had a real clue as to what he’ doing, with that changeup he’ll do well in the league.

The O’s D really self destructed in the 6th, aside from the Reynold error there were at least two other balls that a better fielder would have had a decent chance of picking up. that all 3 were let through was pretty awful.

Then again, Chen had at least 3 to 4 super deep flies that was caught, but it’s not like Camden Yards is a pitchers park.

• Johnny says:

I thought he looked good, aside from the first inning obviously. Sterling and Waldman put it down to jitters seeing as it was his first major league start. I guess so, but he sure did settle down fast.

8. Jay says:

Cory Wade was impressive tonight. Especially getting out of the bases loaded jam.

9. M-Three says:

I was very impressed with the work of both Phelps and Wade tonight. Expecially Phelps because I had no idea how would adjust to a relief role. I know its just 2 appearances so far but if he keep pitching this well then I hope they leave him in the pen this season to fill the Aceves role.

With Pettitte about 3 or 4 weeks away and Pineda returning probably by June we probably won’t need Phelps as a starter. Plus with Mitchell and Betances on the roster we could call one of them up to start if necessary.

Don’t get me wrong I would like to see Phelps get a chance to start at some point in the future but I can wait until next year for that to happen if he is going help us win this year out of the bullpen.

10. Jesse says:

I definitely liked what I saw from Phelps tonight, but would the Yankees send him down on Tuesday and call up a fresher arm like D.J Mitchell or Adam Warren (Probably Mitchell because Warren pitched on Monday) for insurance?

11. forensic says:

So, Garcia’s next start is against the Twins, who boast an offense just slightly better than the Yankees Low-A team. After that he’s in line to pitch in Fenway.

I doubt they would have the guts to pull him after 2 starts, but you have to wonder what might happen if he shits the bed again in 5 days against that pitiful offense. Would they throw him out to die in Fenway anyway? His next day after that lines up with an off day so I’m sure they will and just skip him if needed at that point. That gets them to the end part of the month when they may at least have some other options (whether or not they’re good options is a debate for numerous other times).

• Will says:

I dunno if I’m that worried about Garcia. It’s not like he got hit hard—he just had no command, which with a veteran pitcher like him who usually has decent command is probably just a weird one-game hiccup. I still think Hughes is the most likely to get demoted/replaced by whoever is ready first between Pineda and Pettitte.

• Johnny says:

I think you have to give Garcia a mulligan for his first start. But here’s the difference between Garcia and Sabathia’s/Kuroda’s poor outings at the Trop: Tampa is actually a good team, where as the Orioles aren’t particularly good. On the other hand, all of Garcia’s troubles were a result of complete absence of control. 5 wild pitches… that’s downright bizarre.

If Phelps could provide the kind of stuff we saw today with regularity then I’d place him in the rotation in favor of Garcia right away, even if Garcia returns to 2011 form. Phelps’ two-seamer is something else.

This starting rotation thing is turning out to be a complete clusterf—. Sure, it’s nice to have starting pitching, and I know when you look at every other team in the majors (especially the Red Sox) us having too many starters is a typical #YankeesFanProblem, but I want to see Hughes starting, and I also want to see the rest of the young guys starting. And now I want to see Phelps starting too. I guess Phelps can wait until next year. But then they’ll go off and sign Hamels for 5 years or something, and the rotation will be packed out again.

• Steve (different one) says:

Yeah, that would suck, bumping Phelps for Cole Hamels. Wait, what?

• Steve (different one) says:

FTR, I don’t think they will get Hamels. There WILL be opportunities next year in the rotation and right now Phelps is opening some eyes. Which is great. He’ll probably be trading places all season with Mitchell and maybe even Betances, and they’ll all get nice looks. Next year, Baneulos and maybe one more young guy could easily be in the rotation.

• MannyGeee says:

next spring will be interesting. Only CC is guaranteed a spot, with Pineda/Hughes/Nova getting favorable consideration based on seniority. A nice competetion between Phelps/Banuelos/Dellin for that 5th spot & long reliever roles could be fun to watch.

And also, Joba Watch 2013!!!!!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The way it should be. These guys need to go out there and make the best of every opportunity. So far, Phelps is certainly doing that. May he go into the HOF as a Yankee, first ballot.

12. TLVP says:

Rickey was great but this statistic flatters to deceive.

Derek Jeter has batted leadoff in 832 games and Rickey played in 596 games for the Yankees (presumably leading off almost all of them couldn’t find that stat). So Rickey looks better than Derek but not as much better as comparing 5 years of Rickey with 17 years of Derek. But even that is a bit misleading.

Most of Derek Jeter’s lead off has been in the last 3-4 years including 2010 and 2011 which were his worst years. Rickey was close to his prime when with the Yankees.

Rickey Henderson was a much better leadoff man than anyone else in my lifetime but this is not the best way of proving it…

• Plank says:

Rickey also played in a low offensive environment while Jeter has spent his entire year in a high offensive environment which is another point in Rickey’s favor.

The notion that leadoff homeruns is a significant statistic is flawed, but what Henderson did is still impressive, doubly so because of when he did it.

13. Another Bronx Dynasty says:

Phelps has retired 7 in a row and looked really good last night. He had good movement on his pitches and pounded the strike zone consistantly wofking both corners of the plate. Girardi should tell him if he can show the same consistantancy in 2012 he’ll be looked at as a SP next yr.

That becomes nice homegrown surprise alla Robertson of 2009, Hughes of 2010 & Nova of 2011. Hats off to Cash & the minor league Operations.

14. Another Bronx Dynasty says:

With all the Arms we have starting to develop throughout all the minors, & Joba expecting to return possibly at the end of the yr the pen is going to get crowded & we could see a trade for a young star corner outfielder & farwell to Swisher this yr.

15. Steve (different one) says:

One comment on Girardi leaving in Garcia for Markakis. Obviously on paper, this was the wrong move. But Girardi knows that, because he had the lefty ready and he went out to the mound. He was going to take him out, but Garcia talked him out of it. I don’t want that happening often, but might there be something to be said for showing some confidence in April? I’m sure Garcia appreciated it, and if he gets Markakis, maybe that pays dividends later on in the season.

I’m not usually one who gives a lot of extra credit for stuff like this, but that’s where Girardi’s head was. It’s not like he was siting in the dugout picking his nose. He tried to show some faith in his veteran pitcher and it obviously didn’t work out.

• jsbrendog says:

It’s not like he was siting in the dugout picking his nose.

ahhh the ol’ joe torre

• MannyGeee says:

didnt look like there was much of a conversation out there, TBH. I found it to be weird why he would go out and talk to him (about an inning too late, by the way) and them leave him in in that spot. In the end it didnt matte ron account of Showalter making the same mistake with Chen, but still.

• Steve (different one) says:

I will concede that I have no idea what was said on the mound, but the fact that he had the bullpen ready makes me think something changed his mind. Also, he pulled Hughes in the exact same situation on Sunday, so I don’t think he was “trying to give his guy a chance to pick up a win” or something silly like that.

perhaps it is just that Phelps and Rapada had yet to earn his trust. But point taken.

16. Monterowasdinero says:

I know Martin is a very good defender but he wasn’t exactly Johnny Bench last night. Freddy was awful but Russ could have stopped a couple of those wild pitches. He has that reputation.

• Steve (different one) says:

Maybe one of them, when he tried to backhand it instead of moving his whole body. The problem is that we don’t know where those pitches were supposed to be. If Martin is anticipating up and in, and Garcia is yanking it low and away, he has no shot.

17. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Jeter will sustain that .391/.417/.565 til the very last goddamn game of the year.

18. Dropped Third says:

Man I loved watching phelps pitch, if he puts it together and is good in AAA when/if he gets sent down, he has to be considered for the 5th spot next year. C.C nova pineda manban phelps is a cheap rotation

• MannyGeee says:

you forgot St Philip of Hughes. still not expensive, and if he continues to pitch like he has this spring/this past start, he will be hard to dismiss.

19. JohnC says:

How many on here wanted Wade gone based on ST? Just goes to show ST means nothing when the bell rings for real

20. JohnC says:

COuldn’t beleive THompsom sent Swisher there with no outs in the 7th on Cano’s double. No reason to take a chance there. With 2 outs yes, but not with no outs. Could have cost them the game

21. ADam says:

Maybe Freddy keeps his mouth shut this time around when asked about the pitching additions…

22. Monterowasdinero says:

Love Phelps. Fluid mechanics/low strain delivery/great movement/always around the plate.

The Nick (pitch count and take-machine king) Johnson strikeout was beautiful to watch.