May

Shut down again; Yanks fall to Jays, Drabek

Same old story. The Yankees didn’t get a quality outing from their starting pitcher but it didn’t really matter anyway because the offense put up nothing resembling a fight. This was the eighth time in their first 37 games they’ve been held to one run or less, the first time that’s happened since 1990.

Just tip your cap! It's the easy answer. (REUTERS/Mark Blinch)

Lifeless

The Yankees have scored a total of three runs in their last 18 offensive innings, and two of those three came on a Curtis Granderson homer that a fan may or may not have kept out of Xavier Avery’s glove on Tuesday. The only run they scored against Kyle Drabek — who entered the game with the ninth worst FIP (5.09) out of 118 qualified starters — came when Mark Teixeira‘s ground ball took a funny hop over first baseman Edwin Encarnacion in the sixth. Robinson Cano‘s double down the right field line one batter earlier was the only hard-hit ball I can remember. From the Yankees, that is.

After a run of offensive dominance last week, the Yankees have now scored two runs or fewer in eight of their last 16 games (!). Drabek was behind hitters all night and he didn’t pay at all; in fact he recorded 19 of his 21 outs on the infield. I’m a patient guy, but at some point you have to stop tipping your cap to the opposing starter. Look in the mirror and realize that being offensively noncompetitive for two straight games is your own damn fault.

(AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Frank Gunn)

Consistently Inconsistent

Hiroki Kuroda came into Wednesday’s start having allowed no more than two earned runs in any of his previous four starts, but he instead allowed six or more runs for the third time this year. Like I said, consistently inconsistent. The Blue Jays tagged Kuroda for three homers in five innings, the same number of dingers he allowed in those previous four starts combined. He didn’t pitch well at all but it happens. Hopefully he improves on his 5-to-3 strong start-to-dud start ratio going forward.

Leftovers

(REUTERS/Mark Blinch)

Cano is in the middle of his annual 3-4 game defensive slump, botching the transfer on a routine double play pivot — immediately prior to Encarnacion opening the scoring with a two-run homer — in the second and flubbing a ground ball in the seventh. This is after he made a poor flip to second on a force play in the previous game. Let’s knock that off, mmmkay Robbie?

Downside of Raul Ibanez‘s hot start: Joe Girardi now leaves him in against lefties. He was left in to face a southpaw with men on-base in the late innings for the second time in three games, this time striking out after getting hit by a pitch on Monday. Andruw Jones is on the roster for these exact situations, use him please.

Clay Rapada gave up a homer to the left-handed hitting Kelly Johnson in an otherwise effective outing, but I can’t help but wonder if his roster spot would be better used on a reliever capable of getting both righties and lefties out. It’s tough to carry a true specialist like this with all the injuries. Cody Eppley allowed two dinky singles in 1.2 mop-up innings. He’s got a chance to pitch his way into a role of more importance but I’m not sure if he can do it given his arm slot.

Cano (double and walk), Tex (single and walk), and Ibanez (single) had the only three hits while Alex Rodriguez, Eric Chavez, Russell Martin, and Jayson Nix drew walks. Curtis Granderson and Teixeira were the only players to see more than 16 pitches in their four plate appearances. That’s pretty gross against a starting pitcher who came into the game with the highest percentage of full counts in baseball this year (19% according to YES broadcast).

The Yankees faced Wayne Tolleson’s kid on Tuesday and Doug Drabek’s kid on Wednesday. I can only assume Alvaro Espinosa Jr. will be in Toronto’s lineup on Thursday.

Box Score, WPA Graph & Standings

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the nerd score, and ESPN the updated standings.

Source: FanGraphs

Up Next

The second game of this two-game trip to Toronto will be played Thursday night. Phil Hughes will try to stop the bleeding against the rookie right-hander Drew Hutchinson.

Categories : Game Stories

1. jjyank says:

Trade A-Rod for Drabek!

2. vin says:

Would’ve liked to have seen the River Dogs play the Yankees today. The boys might have had a shot (speaking of the Yankees of course).

3. Manny's BanWagon says:

It’s still early in the season but I gotta say I’m disappointed in Kuroda so far. I didn’t expect him to be an ace but I expected better than this. He’s been totally inconsistent.

• The Dude says:

It’s still early in the season but I gotta say I’m disappointed in this team. Pitching, hitting, and lack of grind have been horrible. The lack of walks is also a big concern.

• Knoxvillain says:

Yep. I’d be surprised if they win more than 93 games, and I’d bet my life that they don’t even win two games in the ALDS this year. The division looks out of reach right now. It’s only May, but it doesn’t look good.

It looks like we’re in for another disappointing year. Let’s hope it changes.

• Mike Axisa says:

The division looks out of reach right now.

What? I’m as frustrated as anyone, but that’s crazy talk. They could be in first place by Monday.

• Knoxvillain says:

I don’t mean it like you took it I believe. It looks like right now the Rays are going to be a better team throughout the year than the Yankees are. I would be surprised if the Yankees won the division this year.

But again, it’s only May. Hopefully they figure out how to play baseball. But it is the Yankees. They don’t really start to play until the middle of August every year it seems.

• DT says:

You do realize we were just 2 outs away from sweeping the rays for first like a week ago…and 1 game from first 2 days ago…

4. forensic says:

I didn’t expect much out of kuroda and wasn’t a big fan of his signing, but it’s impressive that he’s actually been even worse than I thought. I don’t see how you can call it a 5-3 ratio of good to bad. At best, it’s 4 good/ok and 4 terrible.

Don’t tell granderson to stop tipping his cap though. According to him drabek is great and never put himself in trouble tonight. I guess we’ll ignore the 4 walks and typically hideous 1-8 performance with risp, which now puts their avg in that situation at a fabulous .240.

0-8 in games where they don’t hit a home run. At some point they have to figure out other ways to score runs, but unfortunately thats difficult to do when you’re almost punting several spots in the order every night.

There’s a long way to go in the season, which is good because this team has a long way to go to be consistently competitive and have any hope of long winning streaks with how they’ve played so far.

• forensic says:

And none of that even touches on their iffy defense and total lack of team speed on the active roster right now.

At least they didn’t give up a hit to vizquel tonight though. But of course he did walk which is almost worse.

• forensic says:

So I’m watching more of the game this morning (I just couldn’t stand to watch them anymore after the 3rd inning live) and I realize the walk to Vizquel comes after an 0-2 count with 2 outs on four pitches that weren’t even close leading to another RBI hit.

That’s just inexcusable. You could call up some AA scrub and he wouldn’t throw four pitches that terrible in a row to maybe the worst hitter in the game.

• Will The Thrill says:

The problem with this team is they are a one dimensional team. They rely on homeruns to score runs and do poorly when they can’t hit one. Besides Gardner they have little to no speed. The range of the infield is attrocious and surely has cost us and will continue to cost us runs/wins. Everyone except CC can’t pitch a solid game for their life. This organization needs a shakeup.

5. DannyC says:

Am I the only guy that thinks cashman needs to go?

• Pat D says:

No. But please explain why.

• Brian S. says:

Because the team lost two games in a row. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

• eephus_pitch says:

I don’t buy into the “Cashman must go!” stuff, but losing two games in a row is not why everyone’s bummed out. This team’s looked shaky pretty much the whole season so far.

• JohnnyC says:

His evaluation of pitching is atrocious. That doesn’t mean I want him fired but, honestly, is there any doubt that this is true?

• jjyank says:

Freddy Garcia and Colon last year, picking up Cory Wade, Boone Logan has been pretty good. Every GM makes mistakes, sure, but “atrocious”?

• Randi says:

The problem isn’t just Cashman. First, you have to cut the Yanks just a little bit of slack (just a bit). The injury bug hit this team hard. Mo, Robertson, Pineda, Swisher (at the beginning of the year) and Gardner. Those are key losses.

Second, I still say that the main problem with the Yanks is the direction of this team. The Yanks are going to have to make some hard decisions – either build the team with young talent and semi-rebuild or keep signing overpaid, over age stars to justify selling $1500 box seats. I compare the median age of our roster to the rosters of teams like the Rays and Orioles and our team is on average 8 years older. And the fans jumped for joy and danced a jig for the comeback of a 40 YEAR OLD pitcher out of retirement. Are we crazy??? This team has got to get younger or its going to get worse.

• JohnnyC says:

Do you actually look up the facts before you jump to outrageous claims? Tampa Bay’s avg age is 28.8, Baltimore’s is 27.7, the Yankees’ is 31.5. 8 years? What are we talking, dog years?

6. Craig says:

Been saying it for weeks: just say no to Russell Martin and a re-sign.

7. Justin says:

Best part of Yankees losses are reading Mike’s game recaps. That said, rookie pitcher tomorrow? Crap.

8. Mike E says:

Pretty big game for Phil Hughes tomorrow if you ask me.

It’s his first time facing a good offense since the game against the Rangers where he was pulled after 2.2 innings. Since then he’s been second to only Sabathia in the lineup, posting a 3.60 ERA, 17 K’s, 16 hits, and 3 BB’s in 20.0 innings. He’s gonna have a tough time limiting homeruns, but a good game could mean a lot for the rotation.

9. EM says:

Can anyone really make the case right now that Russell Martin is better than Fransisco Cervelli? Yes, I mean this. Forget the jokes about the value of Cervelli’s fist pumps–he is simply a better hitter.

• Mike Axisa says:

Martin: .170/.330/.301

Cervelli in AAA: .225/.285/.265

He is simply not a better hitter.

• Need Pitching says:

Martin has definitely been lousy this year, but Cervelli has been even worse. Martin: .644 OPS, Cervelli .565 OPS … in AAA. And Martin is definitely better defensively, imo.

• Mike E says:

I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing Chris Stewart with some extra starts lately. Give Martin a few days to clear his mind, maybe DH a few games to concentrate on the swing. Not saying Stewart’s a better hitter, but he’s shown some life with the bat and his framing and game calling might jump start some of the pitchers struggling with command.

• Need Pitching says:

I wouldn’t mind it for a few games, maybe give Martin some time in the KLong bootcamp, but I’d have no expectation of Stewart being any better offensively (he’s had a few timely hits, but his overall line has been expectedly awful, Martin at least has a career track record as a basis to expect improvement)

• EM says:

They nearly had the same OPS+ last year. And Martin’s year-over-year numbers are plummeting. A 1.5 month sample doesn’t change my opinion.

• Need Pitching says:

I think if they both got equal playing time, they would probably end up having similar overall numbers (in terms of OPS or wOBA), with Cervelli likely having a higher average, and Martin likely having more power. But I think Martin is definitely better defensively, with Cervelli likely offering at best marginal offensive improvement.

• Tim says:

A door is better defensively than Cervelli. Cervelli doesn’t belong on a major league roster. Two days ago NY was 1′ games out of first. It’s a long season and plenty of time for people to be dramatic. They will be fine and have been battling through a rough stretch with a lot of injuries, and the injuries haven’t been to their “old” players for the most part.

• Mike E says:

He currently has a .203 BABIP despite a .292 career BABIP.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Part of that is because he’s not hitting the ball very well. Russell’s LD percentage is at an all-time low and his ground balls are at an all-time high.

• Mike E says:

Part of it, and thats still something you can expect to average out in the long run. The difference is 16.4% for 2012, and 19.2% for his career. Through 37 games, it isn’t a significant enough drop to think Martin is permanently broken.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I definitely agree with that. If his end-of-season offensive numbers aren’t passable by catching standards, I’ll be surprised. His lack of production doesn’t worry me yet.

• mustang says:

I’m surprise no one came up with Montero. On second thought I shouldn’t be surprise Montero supporters run for cover on nights like tonight.

10. tabbert says:

right when you think that things might finally be start to click, this team just strings together bad game after bad game. Even some of the bad teams out there, have gone on 4-5 game winning streaks. This team has yet to go on any such winning streak.

If we really aren’t going to add payroll, things might get ugly for a couple years.

Next year:
    Our lineup will be the exact same, but even older.
    Our rotation will be cc,nova, Hughes, ?, ?
    Same bullpen
    most likely a good bench likes always.

Year after next:
    Same Lineup, EVEN OLDER
    Rotation: CC, Nova, Hughes, ?, ?
    Bullpen loses soriano, mariano
    Most likely another good bench

As you can see, we will be getting older, and older, while losing key pieces to the roster.

This team really needs to land hamels, or hamilton, or get creative in free agency, if they want this core to win another title. If not, we better get use to getting a little bit worse for the next few years.

This team really needs another hitter that can hit .300, we need a new catcher, and we need another starter.

11. Erica says:

As an optimist, I always have to believe things will get better. As a realist in these situations, I know they will.

That said, I’m thisclose to giving up my Yanks tickets for Saturday. Meh.

• Cuso says:

You can’t give up an opportunity to see Votto at YS3. Period.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Crazy talk, Erica. Go to the game unless something legit came up.

• Erica says:

I know, I know, I knooooooooooooow. I know.

And it will be nice to spend time with my dad since I tend to avoid him during Yankees games (he’s a ship-jumper and a “FIRE CASHMAN NAO” type). It’s an excuse to be outside and to maybe get a new tee-shirt.

And see a Yankees win.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

In the early 90′s, stadium attendance was sad as hell and people were wearing Met hats. I never want to see that again. I don’t care what the team looks like. Root for it and go to the games. :)

• Erica says:

THAT is really sad. Really, really sad. Mets hats? C’mon. No way. I refuse to believe that. (I believe it.)

Of course I’m rooting for our boys. How can I not? It’s just discouraging to see this but I mean, everyone goes through rough patches.

• TomH says:

You shoulda oughta seen it in the 1965-70 years.

• jsbrendog says:

it’s true. the early 90s, the beginning of my fandom, 89-90 i really started caring, which sucked, were a veritable wasteland where no one went or cared and of the 30 fans it was possible 10 could be met/other visiting team fans.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Let me tell you…..a 12 year-old Robinson Tilapia showed up to school in 1986 in his Yankee hat…..and was suddenly the only kid wearing one.

12. tabbert says:

We really need to go All in for Miguel Montero, and hopefully try and get melky. Adding two hitters that can hit up in the .270 and above region will really help this team.

• DT says:

Lets not overpay for two slightly above average hitters…Melky has a career 95 wRC, Miguel Montero is at 101..Sure they had nice years last year, but haven’t shown any consistency…

• tabbert says:

Montero has a track record, and he is better than martin. I have no idea what type of money swish or melky will seeking, so that will something to pay attention to.

• Need Pitching says:

yeah, I think both Montero and Melky are players worth watching this year, and if they follow up last years success with strong seasons this year, they may be worth kicking the tires on to see if it makes financial sense.
          I’m thinking Montero will end up costing more than would make sense for the Yanks given the austerity budget, and may command more years than makes sense given the Yankees prospect depth at C.
          As for Melky, I’ve never been a big fan, but if he has a strong year in SF, he might be an interesting, younger, and possibly cheaper alternative to Swisher.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Agreed. Montero will get too much from some team desperate for a competent catcher; he’s a good player, but not an “all in” player. Cabrera is in the midst of another really nice year, but he was the worst regular in baseball in 2010. That isn’t very long ago. I’m good with not seeing Melkman as a Yankee again. Let someone else pay him.

• FIPster Doofus says:

For whatever money those two are gonna combine for, I’d rather just sign Hamilton. At least I know he’ll give the Yankees a couple of elite years before falling off a cliff. Bear in mind I’m not even for signing Hamilton; it’s just that going “all in” on Miguel Montero and trying to get Melky back are two things that don’t seem super appetizing.

• tabbert says:

The problem with that, is the length of contract. From what i have read, montero is looking for a 5 year deal, and im sure melky would get around the same. Hamilton might end up getting upwards of 7 years.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Yeah. I fully expect Hamilton’s contract to get really ugly about halfway through it. Health has always been an issue with him and it’s hard to imagine it improving as he goes through his 30s.

• Randi says:

I’d sign Hamilton… but not for more than four years. The last thing this team needs is another albatross contract.

• Mike E says:

Don’t forget the budget though. With the old bats in the lineup, they’d be better suited trading for a young outfielder, call Romine up, and sign someone like Hamels or Greinke.

13. Jesse says:

Wonder if we’ll see ‘Duh Innings’ show up and throw around his silly proposals to “improve the team”.

14. tabbert says:

Whatever we end up doing, we cant just wait for all of the Luxury Tax breaks like the front office wants to do. By the time that goes in to effect, and we have the ability to go out and spend massive amounts, this team will be in shambles.

Arod will be 3 years older, Tex will be out of his prime, older, and worse. Grandy will be nearing the end of his prime, cano will be 3 years older, same with sabathia. Gardy would have lost speed, Jeter most likely will be gone. Mo will be gone, soriano will be gone. Not sure that is really the best plan going forward.

• Kevin says:

Then we should have planned better in the past,which we failed to do.
      The next few years WILL be ugly..it’s time to accept that.

• jjyank says:

I love how you two already know what the team looks like in 3 years. If you’re going to rag on the team in 2015 for being 3 years older, then why are you completely skipping over two possibilities that might mitigate that?

1. Some of our prospects pan out or at least become serviceable.

2. The Yankees make another couple of trades for younger players.

You can’t just list the oldest players on the team and proclaim that the team will be in shambles in 3 years because they are 3 years older. The Yankees have a pretty solid farm system that can either inject youth directly or be used to trade for a young player by 2015. Put the crystal ball away.

• TomH says:

1. Some of our prospects pan out or at least become serviceable.

2. The Yankees make another couple of trades for younger players.

These sound pretty feeble.

• jjyank says:

Why? That sounds pretty damn reasonable actually, much more so than assuming the entire team gets three years older without a single change made over thee years. THAT sounds feeble.

• TomH says:

Well, no offense, but here’s why it’s feeble:

(a) You yourself sound unconvinced in your first example (“Some of our prospects pan out or at least become serviceable.”) The decrescendo effect of the movement from “pan out” (whatever that may mean, but let’s give it the benefit of the doubt) to “serviceable.”

(b) The deeply problematical nature of the second point, where they make a “couple of trades” for younger players. By trading whom? Some of these old-folks? Who in their right mind will want to help this team stay at the top of what Frank calls “the heap”?

They’re going to have to spend money, the way the old man did, if they want to remain there!

• jjyank says:

All I said was that assuming the team gets three years older with absolutely zero added youth is stupid. That’s not a feeble argument, but your response sure is.

15. Cuso says:

Haha. Tilapia, even Mike has become frustrated enough to get in on the name game…

Seriously, though, I’m wondering if my blood pressure would be better served by ignoring all things baseball for 2 weeks and checking in on June 1st…?

Who am I kidding?

All right let’s get ready to get ab’hughes’ed again on Thursday!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Ha! Good thing I was dead asleep.

Of course I’m frustrated. I’ve lived through far worse as a Yankee fan, though, and SOME of these struggles are things we saw coming.

Kuroda frustrates me, even more so than Tex or whatnot. So far, Kuroda isn’t what I’d hoped this team would be getting. I also think there’s more struggles to come, and not everything has an easy or sure fire solution to it. It happens. Not going to work myself into a lather on a message board about it.

• Erica says:

What struggles are you anticipating??

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think we make fun of the hellfire and brimstone that accompanies it, but the guys who talk about aging, expensive players, and the top position player prospects still in Single-A, actually do have a point.

I also still think a lot of chips need to fall correctly for the 2013 rotation to be what we hope it will be.

Starting catching concerns me as well.

Yes, this was all worth 2009.

• jjyank says:

Hiroki Kurodshaw?

• Cuso says:

whatnot concerns me more than Kuroda, but less than Teixeira

16. Cuso says:

One thing I’d really not like is a one-game playoff. We need the division.

17. Cuso says:

It was interesting watching Joe’s postgame interview on the iPad. It kept freezing while waiting to buffer, and the stills of his face were extremely telling. He’s saying the things he normally says but there is definite frustration and anger in his face.

He’ll never admit it, but guys that need to step up and carry this team while other guys are injured/slumping are not stepping up or having good approaches.

18. Bavarian Yankee says:

am I the only one who thinks that Cano should’ve gotten an E in the 1st? I mean he absolutely has to turn the DP there and it cost us 2 runs. That said Cano has been a bit shaky on D lately, back 2 back games with an error now.

19. Monterowasdinero says:

So if the Yanks should spiral down and not make the post season-regardless of all the excuses and stat-rationalizations….does Girardi get the boot?

It is still way too early but there is no fire on this team. That come from behind win at Boston seems a long time ago. No fight right now.

• Pat D says:

Way too early to conceive of that, methinks. I think ownership likes Girardi, too. In my opinion, I think it depends whether or not Randy Levine can somehow convince Hal that Joe isn’t the guy for the job. I distrust Levine immensely.

Everyone’s talking about this team having no fire and no life. I haven’t seen too many games recently, but I’m wondering if the injuries are playing a role in that. I was concerned that Mo’s injury might have some lingering psychological effects on the team, but then they did their job last week winning 4 of 6, so I figured they were fine. Who knows?

• jjyank says:

I think a team never has “fire” when they’re not playing well, and it appears that they do have “fire” when they are.

I don’t believe in a team’s “fire”. The Yankees aren’t playing well, so it looks that way. I’m still very confident that this team will go on a tear over the summer and then we’ll be talking about how much “fire” they have.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It takes more than a bad season to dismiss a manager. Why did the team have a bad season? Did the manager “lose the team?” On the former, there’s plenty of non-Girardi reasons to point to. On the latter, bad play does not mean the manager has lost the players’ respect.

I think that, unless Girardi walks away on his own, or something unforeseen happens, he’s absolutely back in 2013, even if they’re sitting at home come playoff time.

20. Pat D says:

In other news, I see it remained quiet overnight.

21. SMK says:

At this point, I think just getting through the game without someone ending up on the DL is considered a victory. So on my scorecard that was a nice win last night.

22. Erica says:

Just as an aside — with all this talk of wanting Hamilton on the Yankees – is that even realistic? Don’t go all “Duh Innings” on me here. I mean, is this something that can even happen? He seems pretty settled there in Texas.

• jjyank says:

I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he leaves Texas. But it better not be for New York.

If the Yanks are going to spend big money, it needs to be for a player that you can’t predict future injuries. Hamilton is a DL trip waiting to happen as he ages.

I seem to have noticed that at least some of the “Fire Cashman” people are in favor of signing Hamilton, which is funny, because when Hamilton spends 2/3 of the season on the DL two years into the contract, I’m willing to bet they will want to “fire Cashman”.

I can live with the Pineda thing because nobody could predict that. But Hamilton…I think the safe money is him spending quite a bit of time on the DL while making tons of money.

• Erica says:

Totally agree with the third paragraph in regards to the “Fire Cashman!!!1one” crowd- – but they’ll want to fire him regardless. Always. Forever.

I just can’t see him in NY. I think it’s not the right environment for him and he seems to have a pretty solid support system in Texas.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The $189 million budget would be an issue. The probability that the team would be carrying another high salary for a declined player by 2015 is insanely high.

Other than that, sure, it’s possible.

23. JohnC says:

Hamilton would crack under the pressure of NY. The fans, the media would drive him back on the wagon with the first slump he goes into

• Reggie C. says:

I dont know about this.

The pressure is on RIGHT now. Hamilton realizes he’s too old for a second mega contract and this offseason will be his only shot hitting free agency as an impact player.

Dude’s only responded by placing the AL in a chokehold in nearly every category.

Even if Hamilton eases back on the pedal a bit next season I dont think anyone could expect anything less than a All-Star caliber season. Whether Hamilton delivers the goods over 150 games or 125 games … that’s the money question.

24. Lord Tywin says:

We’re 12-1 when we get a quality start. Can any of our pitchers deliver a quality start? Andy failed, CC failed, Nova failed, Kuroda failed. Now it is upon Hughes who has actually give us a couple in his most recent starts. Cashman really deserves a lot of blame for the pitching staff he has put together this year. Just imagine if Andy hadn’t decided to return.

• pat says:

In the first part of your comment you admonish Pettitte for not throwing a quality start. Then you invoke his name in a good way at the end of your comment. Puzzling.

• JohnC says:

Andy actually turned in a quality start. Made 1 bad pitch. That 2nd home run was a lucky shot that happend to hit the pole

25. Tim says:

There are many issues right now with our beloved Yankees, however, one was made very public last night on the Jays broadcast (tried to switch up the jinx)

Anyway, down 7-1, being completely out-pitched, out-defended and out-hit they just happened to show the inside of the Yankees dugout and focused in on Robinson Cano who was grinning ear-to-ear in what looked like belly laughing horsing around with Andruw Jones (who, to his defense, looked like he wanted no part of it) This was following the inning the Cano got his double

REALLY ROBINSON!!! Does this idiot have any idea how bad that looks? More importantly, will Joe, Pena, Long or Rothschild say a flipping word to him…..NO Because the coaching staff does not run this team, the players do. I thought to myself after seeing this “Why should I care so much, it looks like to Robinson he is OK with the mediocrity that has become the New York Yankees

• jjyank says:

Meh, it’s baseball. They’re playing a game. The old cliche is you can’t play well if you’re not having fun. Plus its May. Maybe more fans should take a page from Robbie’s book and relax a little.

• TomH says:

Not the attitude of the Stengel Yankees, when there were stories of Casey pacing the dugout during blowouts against the hapless Senators, bounding a fist into a hand and saying, “Don’t let ‘em up, don’t let ‘em up.”

Or the attitude of the McCarthy-era Yankees, when some wag put a sign on top of their dugout that read: “Men at Work.”

• jjyank says:

So what? Robbie was having a little bit of fun in the dugout of a MID-MAY game against a non-contender. The things people get worked up over is pretty funny.

• TomH says:

Some people, they don’t know, you can’t tell them.

He’s on the Yankees. When you’re getting your ass kicked (April through September) don’t giggle and laugh in the dugout. Leave that to professional losers.

• TomH says:

Hey, man, what’s the complaint. Ol Robbie had got himself a double. Life is good.

26. TomH says: