Jun

Aardsma throws two scoreless innings in second rehab game

In his second minor league rehab outing, right-hander David Aardsma gave up two singles in two scoreless innings for the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League Yankees. He struck out three, walked none, and got two ground balls. No word on the pitch count, but something in the 30-40 range seems like a reasonable estimation. Aardsma will probably make his next appearance late next week and he could climb the ladder — High-A Tampa seems like a logical next step — soon thereafter.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Kosmo says:

Aardsma would be a welcome addition to the bullpen. Hopefully all goes well with rehab and he´s pitching in the Bronx post All-Star game.

2. CapitalT says:

Who gets sent out when Aardsma comes back?

• Brian S. says:

Probably Eppley I would think. Although Rapada and Garcia would not be missed either.

• jjyank says:

I would imagine Eppley as well. Aardsma is a righty, and I doubt they cut a lefty for him. Eppley is the obvious choice, plus (correct me if I’m wrong) he’s the only one of the Eppley/Rapada/Garcia trio that can be sent to AAA without losing him on waivers.

• RetroRob says:

I think that’s likely. I’m more interested in who goes when Joba returns. I just don’t see Girardi giving up his second lefty. That means Garcia is gone, yet not having a long man can have a disasterous impact when a team suddenly has its starter blown out early on, or injured, and then the bullpen gets extended. That said, I think Garcia goes when Joba comes back. Hey, maybe they’ll stretch Joba out a bit to serve as the long man.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, I said something similar in last night’s game thread. Maybe Joba can be a 1-4 inning kind of guy, it seems like they have plenty of guys in the bullpen capable of handling one inning of high leverage work. That seems a lot more valuable to me than being the 6th inning guy.

• The Scheister of Doom says:

Clearly Hughes, their stretching him out to start, hence the 2 inning appearance.

• AC says:

Epply has done a good job bit most likely he’s odd man out. He has options

3. Cuso says:

I know everyone is awaiting Joba, but this is the one I’m excited about. He could really make this bullpen ridiculous. And ironically, Rapada & Eppley deserve to stay. Wade will get pushed to long relief and Garcia may end up out the door.

• jjyank says:

Agreed about Rapada and Eppley deserving to stay, but one of them will have to go. With Joba and Aardsma likely making it back this year, someone else besides Garcia will get the axe.

But yeah, Aardsma was a great signing. When Mo comes back next year and if Soriano doesn’t opt out, they will have 3 guys who have had success as a closer in the bullpen. Plus two guys who have had success as elite set-up men. Pretty awesome.

4. Deep Thoughts says:

Let’s see him complete a pain-free rehab with a built-up workload, and maybe get out some hitters at higher levels who actually have plate discipline skills and can hit breaking balls, before figuring out whose 40-man roster spot he takes.