Jun

Game 69: Chickens

“[I] can’t wait to face those chickens.”

Apparently Frank Francisco thinks the Yankees complain a little too much. The Mets closer referred to the Bombers as a bunch of chickens in an exclusive interview with the NY Post yesterday, adding just a little ripple to the latest edition of the Subway Series. This is the same Frankie Frank who once broke a woman’s nose by throwing a chair, which apparently qualifies him to be the arbiter of all things chicken-related.

Anyway, the Yankees laughed off the remark prior to today’s game, just as you’d expect. They have more important things on their plate than the comments of a second-rate closer on a second-rate team. New York’s favorite ballclub has lost two straight after winning ten in a row, and tonight they would like to get back in the win column. Here’s the lineup…

SS Derek Jeter
CF Curtis Granderson
1B Mark Teixeira
3B Alex Rodriguez
2B Robinson Cano
RF Nick Swisher
LF Andruw Jones
Russell Martin
LHP Andy Pettitte

Tonight’s game is scheduled to start a little after 7pm ET and can be seen on both My9 and WPIX locally as well as MLB Network nationally. The weather forecast isn’t great but it looks like most of the heavy stuff won’t arrive until later tonight, like 11pm or so. Enjoy the game.

Update: … and we’re in a rain delay. No official word on a start time yet, but apparently 7:45pm is the target.

Update Part Two: Now they’re saying first pitch is scheduled for 8pm. This one might not last a full nine innings.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

I guess you can say Frank Francisco…ruffled some feathers.

2. Weather update, it just poured for about a half hour in South Eastern Bergen County, and it looks like the weather is heading North and West of here. So hopefully that’s a good sign.

3. eephus_pitch says:

This bozo should thank his lucky stars he’s even allowed to play in the big leagues, after he assaulted that woman. If I were him I’d just keep my mouth shut from now until eternity.

4. jjyank says:

LOL at Francisco. He’s one of the last people on that team to be talking smack out about of the best teams in baseball. Who even calls someone a “chicken” any more? Did the woman he assaulted call him that, and that’s where he picked it up? Laughable. He should be more concerned about the Nationals and the Braves than the Yankees.

Anyway, I haven’t had baseball since Tuesday, and I’m so damn glad I can watch today, as I will have two more without baseball after tonight (damn blackouts). Go Andy, make it a good one!

5. I cannot wait for this game, I missed the game on Wednesday, So I’m almost 72 hours with out baseball.

6. Pat D says:

Well, my career at T-Mobile is over and I feel that a chapter of my life is closed.

I’m realizing that I’m 31 years old and I have a completely fatalist attitude. Time to get in shape!

7. jjyank says:

I’m listening to the podcast right now, and at the beginning, Mike and Joe were talking about getting rid of Garcia if both Joba and Aardsma come back, because not having a long man isn’t the end of the world. Some around here still want Joba to be a starter, but what if there was a compromise? Instead of making him a starter (which clearly won’t happen) and instead of making him a one inning guy, why not stretch Joba out to a level where he can be the new Aceves? Relief ace, can pitch 1-4 innings if needed. Maybe Joba can be a long man. Not in the traditional “the long man only pitches in garbage time innings to make up for a shitty starting pitching performance”, but as an actual useful (somewhat at least) high leverage position.

Say, for example, a starter pitches decent, but labors and is out after 5.2 innings. If the Yankees can groom Joba to be able to bridge the gap from 5.2 until the 8th, that’s pretty damn valuable. I’m just spitballing here, but it’s a thought.

8. Kramerica Industries says:

My9, and a rainout.

Shocking!!

(And seriously, the rain delay YES music sucks. Quit playing that, like, yesterday.)

9. Steve (different one) says:

What are they saying about game time? Sitting in a bar in manhattan deciding when to head out to citi…

10. RetroRob says:

Okay, I don’t understand blackout restrictions.

I live in the NY area and my cable is out. No problem. I have an MLB.com TV subscription, so planned to watch the game there. I go over and I get a message that says: “Blackout Restriction. We have determined you are blacked out of watching the game you selected due to television broadcaster restrictions, blah, blah, blah.”

WTF? I live in New York and have also paid for a MLB subscription.

Any ideas? Is this normal??

• You live in NY, in Market games are blacked out on the .TV package. If you lived in Seattle or even Baltimore you’d be able to watch it, but you cant watch NY games in the NY are because it takes away from the TV viewers that the MLB’s television partners would get.

• jjyank says:

If you’re in market for YES, you can’t get Yankee games. For example, I live in DC now, and I was blacked out on MLB.TV for the Nationals games last weekend. MLB.TV also blocks you out from nationally televised games.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Well, that’s to be expected.

And I don’t know if it can still be done, but I remember being able to watch some Rangers games opposite SNB back in 2010. And that, obviously, is a clash with a nationally televised game.

• Kramerica Industries says:

MLB.tv is weird.

I have a friend in Tallahassee who can’t watch the Rays (distance is approx. 250 miles), but I can watch the Marlins here in St. Pete (distance, again, approx. 250 miles).

I’m guessing MLB doesn’t take into account cable problems. If you have either YES or SNY (and I know tonight’s games are WWOR and WPIX, which are both over-the-air but not the usual local stations), and you are in the area, then it’s expected you can watch on TV.

If not, then I really can’t help.

• RetroRob says:

Okay, thanks all of above, although depressing. Not sure I will get my cable back until Monday, so that means I’ll miss the games when I’m here. Could head to a bar, but I may just have to radio it.

Blackout restrictions suck. They seem to punish real fans.

• They definitely do. I work nights, at a job with an incredible amount of down time (which is pretty sweet) so I would be able to watch most of the game on my office computer, if I didn’t live in the NY area. As I do live in the NY area my choices are illegal choppy delayed streams (which in my opinion aren’t even worth it) or listen to the games on the radio. Choice B would be great if it wasn’t for the fact that I work in a radio dead zone in a building made of cinder blocks, all I get is static. So my only option was to pay 15 dollars for the MLB.TV radio package. It’s good, but there are times (like right now) that all I have on the WCBS feed is dead air.

• forensic says:

I’m in Vegas and thus am blacked out from all giants, angels, dodgers, padres, and athletics games. I’ve even had diamondbacks and Rockies games blacked out at times.

It’s just absurd.

11. Listening to WFAN during the delay…I’m pretty sure they either don’t know they’re back from commercial or the Mics are down cause, it’s just background noise.

• RetroRob says:

Heard that, too, although on MLB.com as I was trying to figure out the blackout restrictions.

It’s the satellite feed. Just heard a message to the affiliate stations that they would rejoin at 7:55, which leads me to beleive first pitch will be at about 8:00. I preferred the backround noise. They threatned that Stever Somers, who I nominate as the worst broadcaster on WFAN. Thankfully was not inflicted with his ramblings.

12. Ray Fuego says:

My career at Home Depot is nearly over! Finally put in my two week notice! I’m moving on to better things. 26 hours a week just isn’t going to pay for a wedding. Thankfully I landed a great job at University of Rochester Medical Center Sports Medicine office.

13. Hall and Nokes says:

Rain passing over or am I stuck with AJ Burnett for the night?

14. amanda says:

i hope ny wins :}

15. mike_h says:

rain sucks

16. One minute till WCBS goes on air, so I’m guessing 10-15 minutes till game time.

17. forensic says:

Well, they do complain about a lot of calls, as do many (all?) teams.

But, I fail to see how that correlates to them being chickens…

18. RetroRob says:

Radio feed pops right back in the middle of the National Anthem, who is being sung by someone who is not a professional. Hopefully there’s some touching story behind it that I missed.

19. Kramerica Industries says:

Kay-Cone-Leiter

Best booth, IMO.

20. Will The Thrill says:

The Mets broadcast is filled with such hateful, anti-Yankee inferiority complex fueled rantings. I just can’t take it. This is why I hate the Subway Series. Everyone makes these games bigger than they are. So much contrived drama. Mets fans are already making their plans for the post-season (chuckle).

21. Of course the game starts as I’m really getting into one of the best articles about Lost that I’ve read.

22. Cuso says:

Wow. You know what just dawned on.me? Andy was making his way to the dugout from the bullpen extremely focused. He walked down the steps and smacked Andruw on the back to give him a pound. Andruw’s 2nd year but Andy wasn’t here last year. Ecclectic moment. But I guess all id forgiven from those 2 bombs in 1996.

23. Never mind, it’s just up around comments made at roughly 7:55…I think the thread’s broken…

24. Will The Thrill says:

Grandy striking out there was probably the most predictable thing ever.

25. Should somebody email Mike? Or should we just keep spamming the broken thread.

26. jjyank says:

Yeah, the reply button doesn’t work. Guess we’re all a bunch of stuart a’s tonight.

27. Mike Axisa says:

Comments are nesting again, my bad.

28. TommyBoy says:

Of course they didn’t score.

29. Will The Thrill says:

Another weak AB from Cano with guys on base. Looks like he’s trying to pull everything this year. What happened to hitting to all fields Robbie?

30. All seems well/fixed. Good job Mike. I feel you’re under appreciated from time to time, just know you, Ben, and Joe run the best baseball blog and commenting system on the interwebs.

31. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Is anybody going to see Roger Waters’ The Wall at YS3?

32. JMK says:

I wasn’t much of a Leiter fan but he’s really grown on me this year. What do you guys think?

• jjyank says:

I don’t mind Leiter. Really, I don’t mind anyone in the booth. My ideal booth Is Singleton/Cone/O’neil, but I won’t complain about the other guys.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

Even Flaharty? He’s about as bland and boring as it gets.

• JMK says:

Eh, I really find O’Neil distracting because he can’t focus on the game. I’m all for irreverent conversations, but when he and Kay get together things just spiral into obscurity and condiment convos.

I also like Singleton and Cone (though as someone else said above, he can talk himself into circles). Flaherty is awful. Just terrible.

• jjyank says:

O’neil is a color guy, and I find him colorful and entertaining. I prefer Singleston for play by play, so in my ideal booth, that situation isn’t a problem.

• JMK says:

No, I hear you. Kay is almost as much a color guy as he is play-by-play so things (in my mind at least) get railroaded real quickly when they’re together. I prefer Leiter’s more measured approach.

• jjyank says:

I won’t argue about Leiter, I don’t mind him at all. I also don’t have a problem with Kay, but I prefer Singleton’s play by play because he’ll shut up once in a while and just let the game action do the talking. I guess I like Singleton/Cone/O’Neil because in theory, I like having a pitcher and a batter as color/analysis guys. Leiter is good too, but I would prefer to not have two pitchers in the booth.

That very well may be stupid and a poor reason for my preference, but that’s how I think about it.

• JMK says:

Hmm…no I don’t think it’s a stupid reason at all. My issue with that is only in O’Neil not really providing much insight into mechanics, swinging, etc.

Re Singleton: yeah, his voice is also great. Strong and soothing without being overly boring or excitable.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, I do wish O’Neil would go more for the mechanical side like Cone and Leiter do with pitching. But as the third guy in the booth, just being a color guy is good enough for me to like him.

• forensic says:

He’s easily my favorite color analyst. I can even watch parts of MLBN when he’s on trying to balance out some of the other guys.

33. Will The Thrill says:

Looks like Mets are looking to work the count/walk. Go right at them Andy!

34. TommyBoy says:

I never had a problem with Leiter.

35. mike_h says:

6-4-3 double play would be nice now

36. Will The Thrill says:

Anyone tired of Interleague? I personally can’t wait for it to be over.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

I want the DH back.

• Tom says:

I’m looking forward to playing Miami and beating up on the Cubs.

Oh wait, why would they bother to actual have teams in the division actually play the same schedule….

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Never understood how a baseball fan can be tired of baseball when the team is good.

37. Karl Krawfid says:

Andy doesn’t look good right now.

Yankees don’t look good with risp.

38. The delay has seemed to mess with Andy’s control a little bit.

39. Christopher says:

Nice play, backing off so Grandy, movie gin the right direction, could freeze the guy on third.

40. TomH says:

Somebody ought to tell Kay and his pals that now and then, when they’re sleeping at the switch in Toronto, there’s an open mike and camera on “Extra Innings.” It was amusing to see Kay primping his hair and parodying the CITI Field announcer’s welcome to the crowd. And I was out of the room for a while. On such nights, the somebody asleep at the switch is forgetting to replace the erased US commercials with local varieties. The camera runs and mike is open!

41. Cy Pettitte says:

2 out hit. wonderful.

42. JMK says:

Ugh, holy shit.

43. Fuck. Balls. Here come the trolls.

44. Kramerica Industries says:

Unreal.

Mets are crazy fuckers with two outs.

45. Cy Pettitte says:

wait all day for game, over in 1st inning.

46. TomH says:

Yanks better get the bats going tonight.

47. JMK says:

Not ragging on Swisher, but does anyone remember him EVER making a leaping catch?

48. Kramerica Industries says:

Also, it appears the MLB.tv feed might be broken.

Of course, it came back just in time for the home run, so…

Ugh.

49. forensic says:

We had to wait an hour just to watch this? how about a mulligan?

50. Tom says:

First inning walks are killers…. especially leadoff walks. Loading the bases on 1 single is asking for trouble.

51. mike_h says:

if he cant get Niese out, send in Garcia

52. Knoxvillain says:

Game over.

53. Crime Dog says:

Oh boy, we’re gonna see Freddy in this one, huh?

54. CBean says:

So CC gets straightened out and all our other pitchers go to crap :(

55. Christopher says:

If Bloomburg is going to sit front and center at a game, he might consider not burying his nose in text on TV.

• TomH says:

It’s amazing how many people besides him put out big dough for top line seats at the Stadium and then sit there with their eyes on the display of some “smart” phone (for dumb users). It’s like a North American disease.

56. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Crooked number for the Yanks in second inning.

57. stuart a says:

cano taking lessons from arod with men on base. he is 9 for 68 or so..

what a friggin joke… mets 2nd in baseball with RISP but it is luck nothing to do with approach, my ass…

swisher jumped early on the HR… If he does not choke at bat when it matters he will do it in the field…

58. Will The Thrill says:

Andy got himself into this fucking mess. That’s what happens when you nibble and don’t go right after people. Walking Andres Torres and his .200 OBP is inexcusable.

59. Tom Q says:

So, by the law of averages, the team was due for some bad starts. But it’s odd they’d all come in a row like this (not that Kuroda’s was technically bad, except by recent Yankee standards).

60. Athenian says:

Wonder if Francisco will be part of the Daily News 5th talking about Fried Chicken?

61. Christopher says:

Andy is just a creature of set routine, I guess maybe the rain delay threw him off a bit?

62. Christopher says:

it looks like Trump is celebrating Gay Pride week in style.

63. aarpyanks says:

brace yourselves…things are about to even out..10 game losing streak here comes the yanks

• Will The Thrill says:

This year has been a roller coaster. What sucks the most is that our 10 game winning streak didn’t do anything for us in the standings. Our whole division is within striking distance of first place.

64. Will The Thrill says:

Hey Mets can we trade hitting coaches?

65. DM says:

This is why you check in on Sheets, Wandy and Dempster. And don’t worry about who gets sent down when/if Joba and Aardsma are ready. You can never have enough _____.

66. stuart a says:

ike davis has more rbi’s then arod and cano. the guy is hitting 190.

not only does cano suck with men on base he gets out quickly most times….

the rain delay had nothing to do with it. pettitte walked 2 no bodies.

• jjyank says:

There he is!

Do you write for ESPN? I think you might. Ya know, besides the complete lack of capitalization and poor spacing between sentences.

• Knoxvillain says:

“pettitte walked 2 no bodies.”

That must mean he sucks.

I would bat .000 if I played in the Major Leagues, but my OBP might be .013 from walks. Everyone gets walked and pitchers walk everyone. Geez, dude.

67. Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

I guess if you’re gonna give up 5 runs in an inning, it’s best to do it in the 1st.

It’s not like the Yankees can’t score 6 runs against Neise and the terrible Mets bullpen.

68. Widget says:

All i can add is I hate the Mets.

69. Tom says:

Well hopefully they can at least make Niese work, get it close and burn the bullpen a bit.

If they can score a few runs in the next few innings, they might even have a shot.

70. Athenian says:

Enough with this rain delay affecting Andy. That is a bullshit copout. He has been around for many years and should know better.

Just call the first inning what it is, poor pitching, poor outing.

71. Hey, Andy got a hit…that’s nice…

72. Christopher says:

Nice,way to throw to a guy who never hits.

73. Will The Thrill says:

Umm. Is it me or do the Yankees seem to take the real juicy hittable looking pitches?

• Knoxvillain says:

They do. And then swing at one at their eyes or bitch about a pitch on the corner.

• Athenian says:

Ever try to hit a pitch mid thigh down the middle. One can’t make it to majors swinging at that pitch, it is too tough to hit.

74. Cuso says:

You didn’t HAVE to swing at that pitch, Derek.

75. Karl Krawfid says:

Ima just use the bathroom and go to the gym early today.

GL hitting with risp Yankees!

76. 28 this year says:

We need a baseball owner to destroy ESPN analysts like what Mark Cuban did to Skip Bayless. I would pay to hear that. Video in the link, really interesting, Cuban calls Skip’s writing horseshit to his face.

• JMK says:

Yeah, I saw that earlier. It doesn’t need to be said again, but Skip Bayless is a complete moron and ESPN is trolling people just having that idiot on the payroll.

• 28 this year says:

Totally. But that video is actually really entertaining to watch. Skip literally has nothing to say beyond Lebron choked and this year he didn’t. The entire video, that’s his argument. Cuban, a guy who isn’t paid to know stuff about basketball analyzes the situation a lot better than a guy who is paid to do nothing but watch sports and write an analysis yet does not bother to actually think of an analysis beyond someone choking. Thats total bull crap, I just don’t get how people get paid for that crap.

• JMK says:

I work in media. It’s pretty simple – the lowest common denominator usually yields the most page views, higher TV/radio ratings and more sold papers.

I’d bet ESPN is thrilled Cuban took down their “analyst” because no one in their right mind believes Bayless is there for analysis; he’s solely there to stir the pot. Getting a brawling Cuban to slash his throat on air is great for business. Bayless, you could argue, is the biggest winner here. Because it gives him some false sense of relevance.

• 28 this year says:

I definitely agree with you. At least the biggest benefit of growing up in this generation is access to the Internet that has sites that don’t depend on finding the lowest common denominator and that people can write to those who are eager to actually learn something work a little harder to understand the material. No longer is mass media the only way to get information.

• JMK says:

To your last point – that’s a fair statement, but there are pitfalls with the “everyone is a reporter” mindset. Misinformation and outright slander is abundant and a sense of ethics (not exactly what it could be in big media, admittedly) is often overshadowed by sensationalism.

I’m not saying this to put a very broken industry on some sort of false pedestal, but solid, sourced reporting really is a skill that not just everyone can do.

All that said, Skip Bayless isn’t even in that conversation. He’s a “stuart a” with a bigger megaphone.

• Crime Dog says:

HA, that’s a comparison between Skip and our own Skip

• JMK says:

Don’t know him/her. I used to be a regular here (and even wrote a few articles) but the quality of the commenters in the last year has really nosedived. I just don’t have the time or patience to sift for a few decent comments. A shame, really. Mike and the other guys still do a great job with content though.

• 28 this year says:

I agree with the commenters in general. Its gotten a little annoying. I love the content but its hard to find a good place for comments. This site has gotten incredibly popular for its awesome content but that has brought a lot of commenters who seems to completely ignore the analysis presented in the actual posts which almost defeats the purpose of the discussion in the comments section.

• Crime Dog says:

Yeah, I rarely comment but I’ve been reading for a while now. It’s a great site, the game thread commenters are pure insanity. If you take it as real commentary, man it’ll drive you nuts.

• Crime Dog says:

Yeah, if they actually viewed Bayless as a legitimate “analyst”, (its sad that I’m having trouble thinking of a good actual analyst ESPN employs) they would not have put the video up on their website. They would be trying to hide it.

77. Rek4gehrig says:

Andy gets a hit and jester can’t?

78. Bubba says:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand RISPFAIL!

79. Mr. Pink says:

Well Yankees can’t hit with RISP consistently. What else is new?

80. JobaWockeeZ says:

I trust Andy to get a hit with RISP over anyone in this lineup.

81. Crime Dog says:

Niese is at 41 pitches through 2. If the Yankees get him outta there before the 7th, the Yankees have a good chance to win. The Mets bullpen is atrocious.

• Tom says:

You are assuming the Yankees throw 8 shutout innings in this scenario?

They are going to need to push runs across the plate against Niese if they want to win.

I also would not call it a “good” chance.

• Crime Dog says:

I’m also not really expecting Niese to shut down the Yankees for another 6 or 7 innings. I guess “good” was a bit optimistic, but the game isn’t over. Not by a longshot.

82. Athenian says:

I think any Yankee hitter who comes to bat with RISP and does not get at least one run across should be fined $10,000. The continued fail on RISP will erase the 10 game winning streak in no time. #3gamelosingstreak??????

• Athenian says:

Or for fun they could add the Failed RISP Wall of Shame right next to Monument Park. Then fathers can tell their kids, “look son, these Yankees have their own monument like murders row, except it is just the opposite.”

83. Christopher says:

It’s been such along haul of National League teams, playing an AL team will feel like going home again after a long time away.

84. Brian S. says:

Andy Pettitte is not an ace.

85. Mr. Pink says:

Meanwhile the Red Sox get to face Jair Jurrjens with Lester on the hill.

86. Christopher says:

That was a sweet pitch at the end there.

87. Cy Pettitte says:

GIDP of course

88. Athenian says:

With ARod’s power and ability to get hits and not GIDP, Mets are lucky he just did.

89. Mr. Pink says:

Tex trying to hit a homer. I wish he thought of himself as a hitter with power and not a power hitter. Because lets admit it Tex has warning track power and not raw power like Josh Hamilton.

90. Tom says:

Ugh…. leadoff hit turns into a quick 8 pitch inning.

So much for trying to get to the bullpen quickly, Yankees are going to need to push 2-3 runs across against Niese to have any chance and they for some reason can’t seem to hit his 89-91mph fastball.

91. Blorg says:

I’m starting to think the Yankees should just bite the bullet and straightout release A-Rod sometime in the near future. I know it sounds crazy. He’s just not a middle of the order hitter or a slick fielding 3rd baseman. He’s hindering the team on and off the field. He’s what’s wrong with the Yankees at this point. Aging, underperforming players.

• Crime Dog says:

You have a better solution at 3B?

Yeah, Alex isn’t what he was. He won’t ever be again. But for a guy who’s been one of the better 3B in the league, this seems silly. Maybe (probably) he shouldn’t be hitting 4th. But batting order isn’t the end of the world.

I also think that A-Rod won’t end the season with a .422 SLG. I think it’ll be bumped more towards .460

• Cuso says:

On and off the field?

• Blorg says:

Financially and Performance wise.

• Crime Dog says:

Yeah, let’s get Cody Ransom in here. Because if we release A-Rod and add Ransom, A-Rod won’t cost us anymore money.

Wait, what?

The fact of the matter is, A-Rod’s salary isn’t going anywhere. Its a sunk cost.

• pat says:

Laird is prob better.

92. time for the bus ride home. According to jjyank this will bring us good fortune.

93. Monterowasnotdinero says:

A gray beard on the mound and a gray beard at third. Where is the youth?

• Will The Thrill says:

And people say Mike is crazy for wanting to let Cano go. Cano can easily be the next A-Rod. And I mean that in the bad way…

• Crime Dog says:

I love Cano, he’s one of my favorite players in the league and probably my favorite Yankee.

But, if Cano wants anything more than 4 years on a deal (it’s almost a given he wants more) I’m ok with parting ways. Gotta start getting more flexible in some positions and 2B is a good start.

• JMK says:

Yeah, I agree. Too much risk. It’s a bitter pill to swallow though given how shallow 2B is around the league.

• Crime Dog says:

And, how crazy-good Cano is. To do what he’s done since he’s come up (minus the ’08 aberration) is insane. And from a 2B its incredibly valuable. But, it won’t be pretty if the infield in 4 years is these same 4 guys.

• JMK says:

In Seattle.

94. yooboo says:

5-0 Mets? Good Luck, Mets. We forgot to give Yanks antibiotic.

95. Crime Dog says:

Coney spittin the truth

96. karel capek says:

The mountain can come to Mahomet.

97. Will The Thrill says:

WFAN is going to hilarious over the next couple of days if the Yankees lose this series. Mets fans will be calling in claiming that this is the start of a new Mets dynasty and demanding trades for Justin Upton

98. Cuso says:

Come on! Attack the damn pitcher! Stop frigging searching!

99. Tom says:

1-0 popout on a fastball right down the middle?

I could understand it if Niese was making a bunch of pitches on the corner, but the Yankees have had a bunch of fastballs pretty much center – center and can’t seem to do much with it or just foul them off.

• JMK says:

Does it have late movement, maybe? Or are they just flailing? Hard to tell.

• Tom says:

I don’t know.

There’s also the possibility of deception and picking the ball up late out of a guy’s hand, but Niese’s fastball has historically been below average (in terms of run value) and this year it is right around major league average.

I still think they Yankees approach at the plate is poor, and they get into these modes where they are trying to get lift on the ball instead of simply trying to hit line drives; I think this is especially true when men are on base.

100. Cuso says:

We had an awesome two turns through the rotation. But there comes a time when the bats have to come to the rescue of the pitchers instead of pitchers having sterling outings and then eventually the offense puts runs on the board.

Pick up the damn pitching staff, batters. Stop telling us “it has to turn around” or “we have to be better.”

DO turn it around.

DO better.

101. yooboo says:

I really hate one big inning that turns out the game.

102. Monterowasnotdinero says:

These next two losses will make us all sicky
    but Sunday we’ll beat Dickey.

YCPB

103. Crime Dog says:

Strategy!

104. pat says:

Fuckin love Coney.

105. Greg says:

Wonderful. I’m very glad I’m not watching the game or otherwise I would be more upset. The Red Sox are beginning to charge and despite a 10 game winning streak we couldn’t separate ourselves.

I’ve been saying this throughout. We needed be more separated in the division in order to make that streak really count.

Not the Yankees fault, just the baseball gods screwing with them.

• pat says:

If we didn’t streak we would be behind in the standings. Sooooo it still counts. Sorry.

• Pat D says:

Give this line of thought a rest, man. If you’re most concerned about Boston, I don’t know what to say to you.

• Widget says:

So the red sox win 5 games over the cubs and marlins, two crappy teams, and you consider that charging? Have you seen their second half schedule? They will be lucky to finish .500

• Kramerica Industries says:

You’ve said that about ten times, and it still makes no sense.

The Yankees have no control over what the other teams do, if they aren’t playing them.

If they go on a 10 game streak, and the Rays go 9-1 at the same time, how the hell can the Yankees be faulted for that? Do you realize how inane your argument sounds?

• Greg says:

THat’s why I said it wasn’t their fault. Its annoying.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Dunno how to translate that as anything other than some kind of flaw in regards to the winning streak.

The other four teams in this division are all good, or playing good ball right now, or both. And as I implied a day or two ago – a ten game winning streak in mid-June likely won’t create enough separation to be “safe” for the duration of the season.

If you’re this worried right now to be posting this on a nightly basis, you’re obviously very worried this isn’t really a playoff-calibre team. That’s fine. But there are more ways to articulate that than with what’s becoming a very tired commentary spiel.

106. yooboo says:

Jeter seriously can’t hit. WTF?

107. Crime Dog says:

What all of those words mean is: the Yanks need to win more games. Cool, got it. Thanks for the cutting edge analysis.

108. Rocky Road Redemprion says:

Coney with the logic bomb.

I love Al and Michael’s logic-”NL managers have the decision to take their pitchers out made FOR them. AL managers have to weigh whether or not it’s worth the high pitch count. Thus, NL managing is harder. QED.”

Uhhhh…what?

109. Erica says:

Uhhhhhhhhhhh… hey guys…

110. yooboo says:

Wait a minute!!! Mike Axisa wrote the title in few days ago.

“Start Streaking” Hgh? LOL!

111. Rocky Road Redemprion says:

I’m not too worried. What we’re seeing is the regression to the mean after the ten game winning streak. The Yankees obviously weren’t going to keep stringing off wins in a row like that.

We’re not going to go 0-10, but it certainly makes sense, and isn’t a cause for panic, if the Yankees go into a bit of a slump right now.

• pat says:

You shut your pirate hooker mouth. They’re supposed to win every freaking game because they have the biggest payroll. 1.000 baseball or bust!

• Cuso says:

Not a cause to panic, no. But it may nudge the FO in the direction of a stupid trade (ie Wandy).

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Nah, not if they’re in one of the wildcards and a game or two back from the top of the division. And I don’t even think they will be. I think they’ll still be in first.

I don’t think Cash is going to panic.

112. Blorg says:

Ok five runs so far isn’t so bad. What makes it seem bad is the inability to push even one run across against Niese.

113. Crime Dog says:

Am I the only one who thinks we’ll see a 12-14 game stretch for A-Rod of old pretty soon? I have no reason to feel this way, I just think he’s still too talented to not catch fire at some point.

114. Mike Axisa says:

The Yankees will bring the tying run to the plate in this game.

115. Athenian says:

Tex is the ultimate pass/fail hitter.

116. Cy Pettitte says:

warning track power

117. Athenian says:

He can only do that when HE is the RISP – selfish.

118. yooboo says:

AROD nailed Blonde fitness babes and Red Apple…. lol

119. Crime Dog says:

Too many homers!!

120. pat says:

Hoooooly shit. That was a bomb.

#unclutch #garbagetime #eatthecontract

121. Kramerica Industries says:

ARod makes no sense.

I mean, the big-time power obviously still exists.

122. Cuso says:

Stat-padder sighting!

123. Eirias says:

Alright, we have the homer. The Yankees are now allowed to win this game.

/Yes, yes, the streak is already over.

124. Will The Thrill says:

STOP TRYING TO PULL EVERYTHING CANO!

125. pat says:

Cano turning into Kit Keller. Can’t lay off the high cheese, can’t hit the high cheese.

• Will The Thrill says:

He’s totally going out of his element this year. Pulling everything, not going the other way, and swinging and missing more.

126. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Holy shit, that ball was fucking crushed. I didn’t even need to see the flight of the ball and I knew it was out of here dead center.

127. Widget says:

Let some other team overpay for Cano.

128. Mike N says:

Have we fired Girardi and Cashman and sent down Pettite and A-Rod and Jeter and made Long and Rothschild play base coaches yet?

129. pat says:

Red Sox are a house divided. Half want KFC half want Popeyes. THE HORROR

130. Tom says:

Cano – 10 pitches, 9 swings; 3 swings and misses, 5 foul balls, 1 groundball.

What makes it worse is 9 of the 10 pitches have been fastballs. And the non-fastball was the only pitch he managed to put in play.

He hasn’t really been chasing pitches (except the punchout in the 1st), it’s odd that he can’t square up 89-91 cutters and 4 seamers. I wish he would go back to serving the ball to LF and left center. Anecdotally, he seems to do it against tough pitchers, but it seems like he gets into pull mode for lesser pitchers.

131. Crime Dog says:

Too many homers!

132. Mike N says:

IT AIN’T OVER!!

133. Cy Pettitte says:

Andruw hits HR, doesn’t smile. what.

134. Will The Thrill says:

Yankees running out of outs. Did I mention how much I hate Interleague?

135. Cuso says:

That is a HUGE base hit by Nix. Gotta make it count.

136. Crime Dog says:

I really wanna see Frank Frank blow this game. Actually I’d rather see it 5-5 going into the 9th. And the Yanks put up a 5 spot against him… but he strikes out the side. Irony at its finest.

137. Cuso says:

First pitch GIDP. There I said it. So it can’t happen. Reverse it.

138. Will The Thrill says:

Russell Martin now with a sexy .201 batting average.

139. Crime Dog says:

Miss u, April Jeter

140. Just got in, if that had been a DP I would’ve just turned the game off and played Uncharted 3.

141. Idk how the strike zone has been but that 1-1 pitch t granderson looked well outside.

142. pat says:

F*cking 1-1 pitch to Grandy was outside. F*cking piece of shit ump. Changes the whole complexion of the at-bat.

143. Tom says:

So was the 2-0 pitch that Jeter grounded out on as bad as it looked online? (seem like best case it was a pitcher’s pitch on the inside corner that Jeter should take)

144. Rocky Road Redemption says:

You know, looking at the replay, I wonder if that ball would even have gone out if it didn’t hit Swisher’s glove?

145. yooboo says:

I read about Yanks being complaints. I guess he means this blog because I have not heard anything out of ordinary from Yanks.

146. Brian S. says:

Corey Wade kind of sucks.

147. Wade’s getting hit hard this inning. Even the out he got was a robbed double by Tex.

148. Will The Thrill says:

I wish the Yankees would learn how to hit these little ground balls up the middle like these no-name scrappy Met players. #liveanddiebythehomerun

149. Widget says:

Is it me or has wade been super crappy for like a month now?

150. Cy Pettitte says:

RIP Cory

I like him but he’s regressed hard

151. JohnnyC says:

Wade’s turned back into a pumpkin. He’s past his expiration date. Please DFA him. That slop don’t work, especially since he can’t throw his best pitch against righties.

152. Will The Thrill says:

Cory Wade giving up way too many extra base hits this year.

153. Cy Pettitte says:

Wow Andruw. did I just jump back in time 10 years?

154. pat says:

Lol, Gardy makes that play walking and probably runs the ball to 2nd, haha.

155. Glad I’m not the only one who has noticed the Wade regression. I really think he should be among the first to go when Ardsma and Joba come back.

He got rocked and very lucky that inning. Every out he got was on excellent defensive plays (and a bit of poor baserunning)

156. JohnnyC says:

Can Wade stop hanging curveballs to righties? Like try a slider or locating your fastball better. He’s naked against righties without his change.

157. Tom says:

Eh… Wade is fine in the role he’s in (med-low leverage). I think folks have gotten spoiled by how good the Yankees bullpen has been the past couple of years. If Joba or Aardsma can make it back (a big if), he’s essentially the 5th arm out of the pen.

I would like to see Torre use Logan as more of “a 7th inning guy” as he has swing and miss stuff (I’m not saying he should have been brought in tonight down 3, but my guess is Joe will be splitting Wade/Logan in the 7th based on platoon)

158. Will The Thrill says:

Yankees at the plate lately:

Take fastball right down the middle, foul pitch outside of the strikezone, then strikeout/groundout/popup and off speed pitch out of the zone.

159. yooboo says:

Dimple number 2, please, ALex.

160. Did Cano forget that there is more of the baseball field than the right side? I went to a game last year (or maybe the year before) where he hit a triple off the left center wall…he doesn’t seem to go that way as often now.

161. Cy Pettitte says:

damn Robbie.

162. WOOOOOOW THAT BALL WAS LAUNCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

163. Kramerica Industries says:

Only two home runs to go.

164. Mike N says:

ROBBIE!!!!!!!!!

165. yooboo says:

yah! Cano… Soon, we will find out who is the winner, Axe or Chicken?

166. Christopher says:

We’re coming for you Chicken Man.

167. JohnnyC says:

Terry Collins hates these cheap Yankees home runs.

168. pat says:

ENTER THE NITRO ZONE

/electric guitar wails
    //pyrotechnics

169. Widget says:

Garbage time homer for swisher please. Ok thanks.

170. Terrible bit of directing there by My9

171. I know it’s still a two run game, but Ibanez maybe?

• yooboo says:

save for pinching a pitcher.

• Tom says:

Jones homered earlier – that is pretty much Girardi automatic “he’s hot tonight” mode… he’s done that a few times with Ibanez against lefties this year too I think.

My guess is he is saving Ibanez for a shot at a 2 run HR that might never come.

172. Erica says:

When I was watching, the Yanks weren’t scoring runs. I haven’t been watching and they started scoring.

HMMMMMMMM.

173. yooboo says:

Francisco to face lower 3? pfftt!! It is not a real save situation.

174. pat says:

Love Coney calling Frank Frank The Chicken Man.

175. Knoxvillain says:

Francisco will load the bases with one out next inning and the Yankees will promptly strike out and then pop up. It’s going to be very funny.

176. yooboo says:

streak is over for Rapada. What a brilliant defense you have, Swisher

177. pat says:

Wow, Swishies looked like me out there.

/self proclaimed King of the Bad Route.

178. Will The Thrill says:

Justin Turner is impossible to get out every time we play the Mets.

179. Cy Pettitte says:

Timmy is so lucky he pitches in SF and not NY. If he pitched like this for the Yankees he’d get slaughtered by the media.

180. pat says:

This is the part where we curse Girardi for being an idiot if Murphy gets a hit, right?

181. Betty Lizard says:

Russell!!!!
    (Just tuned in to see his catch)

182. Christopher says:

That guy looks like he gets extra mash potatoes with his chicken.

183. Cy Pettitte says:

ugh Russell crushes it and this idiot gets bailed out by his CFer

184. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Okay, with that catch I’ve accepted the fact that we’re not going to be winning this game.

185. Mike Axisa says:

Tying run to the plate!

186. yooboo says:

Jeter the clutch?

187. Christopher says:

Chicken Man looks a little chickeny

188. Crime Dog says:

Just get up Grandy. That’s all

189. Tom says:

Jeter needs to take a strike here

190. Cy Pettitte says:

why not PR Wise for Ibanez to steal?

191. yooboo says:

at least it is a strike. jeez!

192. Knoxvillain says:

GIDP.

193. yooboo says:

will pr Ibanz at 2b if Jeter walks.

194. Frank says:

Yanks setting up for another RISP fail.

195. Cy Pettitte says:

Captain!

please punish the fucking chicken man Grandy.

196. Christopher says:

Oh my, crunchy or original receipe?

197. Knoxvillain says:

Good job, Jeter. Unfortunately they are just setting us up for yet another embarrassing loss.

RISP=bad news.

198. yooboo says:

maybe Yanks keep Wise for pinching a pitcher in extra inning..

199. Why in gods name is Ibanez still on the basepaths and Wise still on the bench.

200. Cy Pettitte says:

what the fuck Grandy

201. yooboo says:

Hello Grandy, this is a fucking home run pitch

202. Why Granderson? What in God’s name are you looking for there?

203. pat says:

Da fudge were you looking at bro? OOf. That was down broadway.

204. Kramerica Industries says:

Brutal, Curtis.

205. Pat D says:

Jesus Christ on a crutch, Curtis.

206. JohnnyC says:

The Grandyman can’t.

207. Christopher says:

The splitter froze him.

208. Cy Pettitte says:

fucking losers bailing out Francisco

209. yooboo says:

at least he did not strike out on the side.

210. Fuck you Frank Fransisco. Granderson saved this game for you.

211. pat says:

Now whoever it was that said they would pop out and K gets to feel cool.

212. Knoxvillain says:

Well, I did say previously in the thread that Francisco would load the bases with one out, and then get a strike out followed by a pop up. Close enough.

Fucking Yankees seriously suck when it comes to driving in runs with RISP.

28 in 2015.

213. Christopher says:

What a pity, I wanted to bar-b-que da chicken. Next time, Chicken Man.

214. TommyBoy says:

I have no clue how this bunch of RISP chokers ever wins games!

215. Kramerica Industries says:

Look at that – another 0-fer with RISP, especially in the 9th.

Works Fails every time.

216. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Fucking Francisco with the save. That fucking sucks.

*Cue SNY and the FAN saying that they like that he said that because it gives the Mets “life” and “toughness” and some other ridiculous “intangible”*

217. Frank says:

Yanks a HR or bust offense. Can’t win consistantly like that. Despite a bad first, they had shots but as continues to be a very disturbing pattern, they can’t get a hit when needed.

218. Chop It Up says:

Well, that was certainly disappointing.

219. teddy says:

granderson acting like a chicken in that at bat. this offense is truly gutless.

mets hit with risp and the yankees offensive folded as usual

220. JohnnyC says:

Let’s hope that the team can scratch a few runs off the immortal Chris Young tomorrow night and Nova can slow down that dynamic Mets offense. It’ll be tough.

221. Athenian says:

10 game win streak is down to 7. Not good. But after the all star break the Yankees will figure out how to hit with RISP.

• Knoxvillain says:

It’s been about three months. Several days off isn’t going to change the fact that they simply suck with RISP. It’s that simple. They just suck.

222. JohnnyC says:

Clown AB, bro.

223. Brian S. says:

0-for RISP again.

224. Tom says:

Well the only good news is Jair Jurrjens outdueled Jon Lester and if Kimbrel can hold onto a 2 run lead, the “Boston is hot” story will become “Boston beat up on weak teams” and the NES(P)N bandwagon will slow down.

Though Baltimore did beat the Natinals. They catch a bit of a break and miss both Strasburg and Gio in that series

225. Ok, so we cannot get swept. I just bet my friend dinner at Carmine’s that we wouldn’t…and I’m not exactly made of money.

226. Frank says:

Well, at least some good news today. Sandusky found guilty. Now all we need is for him to take himself out before he gets life in the hole.

227. Rocky Road Redemption says:

You know, with all of the Cano criticism I’m seeing…he’s actually having an awesome year.

228. wow says:

here’s the team i’ve gotten usde to in 2012. If the pitching doesn’t absoltely shut down the other team, you can count on a loss.

• JohnnyC says:

The winning streak masked a lot of flaws, especially the unreliable offense. Ironically, Cashman’s been talking about being concerned with the pitching staff not the offense.

• Evan3457 says:

Yanks are 6-20, .230 when they allow 5 runs or more.
      AL as a whole is 85-314, .213, when allowing 5 runs or more.

The Yanks probably should be better than 6-20, but they are, in fact, above average at winning when the pitching doesn’t absolutely shut down the other team.

• eephus_pitch says:

I would think it’s pretty hard for any team to win a lot of games where they give up 6 runs, just in general. The bigger concern is the ability to come back when down early, magnified by the extraordinary number of stranded runners and missed opportunities this team has graced us with.

• JohnnyC says:

You do realize that the difference between .230 and .213 is one win in 50 games. Above average is hyperbolic.