Jun

Pineda on target to begin throwing in mid-September

Via Bryan Hoch and Chad Jennings, doctors have told right-hander Michael Pineda that he can begin throwing in mid-September after having surgery to repair a tear in his labrum on May 1st. “The doctors say everything is great right now, so I’m continuing this plan,” said Pineda, who was at Yankee Stadium today after going for a checkup on the shoulder. “Now I’m just starting working on my exercises. I go to physical therapy every day. No throwing right now … Everything is great. I’m feeling great right now. I’m feeling much better.”

For what it’s worth, the various reporters say Pineda has lost weight and appears to be in better shape than he was in Spring Training. His arm is no longer in a sling and he’s headed back to Tampa tonight to continue his rehab. This is the first real update we’ve gotten since Pineda’s surgery, and so far it sounds like everything is going well.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Jeff says:

Didn’t he say he was feeling good just before he went out and threw 87mph this spring?

2. Itishighitisfaritisgonerightyouarejohn says:

Great
    I may piss my pants
    Woo hoo

3. art vandelay says:

great to hear … but I can honestly say I forgot he was on the team, what a great addition he will be next year, assuming he is healthy.

4. The Scheister of Doom says:

I’ve got zero expectations moving forward from Pineda, so whatever the Yanks get out of him in 2013 is just an added bonus, IMO.

5. Hal Steinbrenner says:

-189

6. pistol pete says:

I hope Pineda starts the season in the minors and has a chance to slowly get back to full strength. If they throw him right into the fishbowl after spring training there will be too much pressure on him. It’s a long season and I’m hoping the Yankees will proceed slowly.

• RetroRob says:

You might be correct. The Yankees can’t go into 2013 counting on Pineda to be one of the staring five. Even if he makes a complete recovery, the path to that recovery will no doubt be choppy.

He has minor leaguee options. The Yankees should build their five-man rotation for 2013 without Pineda, send him to the minors and monitor his recovery. If he’s contributing by mid-way through 2013, then that will be fantastic.

7. Manny's BanWagon says:

If he’s able to start throwing as early as September, I’d have to think he’ll be pretty close to being ready to pitch pretty early next season barring any set backs.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

Who is this Pi-neh-da you speak of?

9. Kiko Jones says:

Best Yankee-related news of the day.

10. LiterallyFigurative says:

Pineda should start out in the minors next spring and work his way up. Maybe a second-half of the season call up. He’d be a great “addition” to the 2014 team.

• hogsmog says:

He’s already proven that he’s more than capable of getting MLB hitters out if he’s healthy. Why wouldn’t you want him on the front lines if he’s fully recovered?

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Because there is so much on his plate why rush it. He has to recover from surgery, learn to pitch in NY, learn the change up, deal with the whole traded for Montero thing, pitch in the AL east, etc.

11. leftylarry says:

Well, if he wasn’t injured before this happened,as the GM suggests, why would we think that he will be back to throwing 96-97-98 again, he wasn’t right before this “new” injury?
    I’m guessing this is a Hughes type scenario and if he works out hard and rebuilds arm strength he’ll eventually be O.K, minus the residual effect from this surgery.
    I like that he seemed to know how to pitch and can probably survive even if he’s throwing 90-94 like Hughes now does.

12. Chris says: