Jul

Heathcott goes deep in Tampa win

CF Ravel Santana is day-to-day with some soreness in his ankle. No idea if it’s the same ankle he shattered last summer, but I would assume so.

Triple-A Empire State (13-8 win over Gwinnett)
CF Chris Dickerson: 1-4, 2 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 BB
3B Kevin Russo: 4-6, 2 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 E (fielding) — 18 hits in his last 35 at-bats (.514)
2B Corban Joseph: 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K, 1 E (fielding) — seven hits in his last 23 at-bats (.304) with four doubles
DH Jack Cust: 0-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K
1B Brandon Laird: 3-4, 2 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 BB — 16 hits in his last 39 at-bats (.410) with four doubles and two homers
LF Kosuke Fukudome: 0-5, 3 K
C Frankie Cervelli: 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K
RF Cole Garner: 2-4, 3 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K — the grand slam was his second homer in the last six games
SS Ramiro Pena: 2-5, 1 R, 1 K
RHP Ramon Ortiz: 5 IP, 8 G, 6 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HB, 6/4 GB/FB — 61 of 87 pitches were strikes (70%)
RHP Cory Wade: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GB/FB — 31 of 50 pitches were strikes (62%)
RHP Danny Farquhar: 2 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 4/0 GB/FB — 11 of 14 pitches were strikes

Double-A Trenton (7-1 loss to Reading)
2B Jose Pirela: 1-4, 1 K, 1 E (fielding)
3B Addison Maruszak & 1B Kevin Mahoney: both 0-4 – Mahoney drove in a run and struck out thrice
RF Zoilo Almonte & CF Melky Mesa: both 2-4 – Zoilo struck out and stole a base … Melky swiped two bags
DH Luke Murton: 1-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K — six hits in his last 38 at-bats (.158), but all six have gone for extra-bases
LF Rob Segedin: 1-4, 1 K
C Jose Gil: 0-2, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
SS Yadil Mujica: 0-3
RHP Mikey O’Brien: 6 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 6 K, 8/4 GB/FB — 65 of 103 pitches were strikes (63%) … shoulda walked two more guys just so I could have broken out the rare “sixes across the board”
LHP Lee Hyde: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GB/FB – 12 of 19 pitches were strikes
RHP Craig Heyer: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 2 HB, 0/5 GB/FB – 23 of 41 pitches were strikes (56%)

High-A Tampa (5-3 loss to Bradenton)
CF Mason Williams: 2-4, 1 R, 1 K — 12 hits in his last 24 at-bats
LF Ramon Flores: 1-4
RF Adonis Garcia: 1-3, 1 RBI, 1 BB
DH Slade Heathcott & 3B Zach Wilson: both 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI — Slade struck out
1B Kyle Roller & C Kyle Higashioka: both 0-4 — Higgy struck out twice and picked a runner off second with a snap throw
2B Anderson Feliz: 0-2, 2 BB
SS Jose Toussen: 0-3
RHP Sean Black: 3 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 4/1 GB/FB — 32 of 53 pitches were strikes (60%)
LHP Kramer Sneed: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 0 K, 4/0 GB/FB – just 21 of 47 pitches were strikes (45%) … 33/29 K/BB in 49.2 IP
RHP Tommy Kahnle: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/2 GB/FB — 18 of 25 pitches were strikes (72%)
RHP Branden Pinder: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GB/FB — 11 of 14 pitches were strikes

Low-A Charleston (8-5 win over Kannapolis)
2B Ali Castillo: 1-5, 1 R, 1 CS
SS Cito Culver, CF Ben Gamel & 3B Casey Stevenson: all 2-5 — Culver scored twice, stole a base, drove in a run, and struck out … Gamel scored twice and plated a run … Stevenson doubled, came around to score, and drove in three
1B Tyson Blaser: 0-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 HBP
DH Dante Bichette Jr.: 3-4, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K — nine for his last 28 (.321) with three doubles and a triple
RF Rob Refsnyder & LF Eduardo Sosa: both 1-4 — Sosa struck out and got caught stealing
C Francisco Arcia: 1-2, 1 RBI, 1 BB
RHP Bryan Mitchell: 4 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, 3/1 GB/FB — 86/52 K/BB in 83 IP
RHP Ben Paullus: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 1/0 GB/FB
RHP John Brebbia: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 1 K0/1 GB/FB
RHP Pedro Guerra: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HB, 1/3 GB/FB

Short Season Staten Island (3-1 win over Brooklyn)
CF Taylor Dugas: 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K
SS Claudio Custodio: 1-4, 1 R
DH Saxon Butler: 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 K – they’ve hit 13 homers as a team and he has eight of them
1B Matt Snyder: 0-2, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP
C Peter O’Brien: 2-4, 1 2B, 1 K
3B Fu-Lin Kuo: 1-4, 2 E (both fielding)
RF Exicardo Cayones: 0-4, 1 K
2B Jose Rosario: 1-3, 1 R, 1 K
LF Danny Oh: 3-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 SB — nice night off the bench
LHP Evan Rutckyj: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 7/8 GB/FB — the best start of his career and it’s not particularly close either
LHP James Pazos: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GB/FB

Rookie GCL Yanks (9-0 loss to GCL Pirates)
SS Eduardo Nunez: 1-3 — played seven innings in the field … SS Fernando Perez took over and struck out in his only at-bat
2B Walt Ibarra: 0-2 — played five innings in the field … 2B Francisco Rosario struck out and walked in his two trips to the plate
DH Austin Romine: 0-4, 1 K
RF Yeicok Calderon: 2-4, 1 2B, 2 E (both fielding)
LF Ericson Leonora: 0-4
CF Kelvin Duran, C Chris Breen & 3B Miguel Andujar: all 0-3 — Breen struck out and committed a pair of passed balls
1B Jorge Alcantara: 0-2, 1 BB
RHP Luis Niebla: 4 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 3/5 GB/FB
RHP Chaz Hebert: 3 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 3/1 GB/FB
RHP Kelvin Castro: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP
RHP Andury Acevedo: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
LHP Yoely Bello: 0.1 IP, zeroes, 0/1 GB/FB

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. felixpanther says:

can Aune stays as SS?

• JohnnyC says:

Not likely. He’s projected to outgrow the position. They’re just making sure by taking a long last look at SS before moving him to the OF.

• Laz says:

Makes sense. SS is a much more in demand position than the outfield, especially when Mason williams is much more likely to get to the majors and occupy cf. If Aune does outgrow SS it wouldn’t be that hard for him to learn LF or RF.

2. forensic says:

50 pitches for Wade to get through only 2 innings? Good luck getting back up before September.

• Laz says:

There was an error, leading to a baserunner. Still doesn’t look good, even 40 pitches over 2 innings is a bit much for AAA.

3. Jack says:

Hi everyone I was just wondering your thoughts on this, I’m sixteen and the last time I played on a baseball team I was 11. I used to be a bigger guy not exactly fat but not fit. I never had anyone to push me to do anything so I always quit things early. I have always loved baseball but never had the will to do anyything about playing it. This year I got sick and lost 30 pounds now I am 6 foot 138 and starting to build my muscle and now I have found new confidencce. Recently my uncle told me i couldn’t be a player (jokingly) so I chellenged him and said I woud join the team this year. I don’ have a father and my mom is very busy so really the only things I can work on is pitching. I have been throwing about 30 feet away at my fencewaiting to fix things so i can go 60 feet. I am wondering what your thoughts are on this, any advice, am I to old to go? I know most of you are adults and some fathers who have played when you were younger so I though this was the best place to go. I am hoping to play and also play in college I don’t really expect to be amazing but I have a baseball IQ higher then anyone on the high school team guarenteed and also I have a higher love of the game. I really would appreciate anything you have to tell me thanks everyone!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Follow your dream, Jack. If you want to play baseball, play baseball. Don’t do it because you expect to be Jeter. Do it because you enjoy it. Always have a Plan B, a Plan C, etc.

Also, avoid Stuart A. Always a valuable life lesson.

• Reggie C. says:

Play because you enjoy taking the field, the comraderie that’s born from just being on a team, and just because playing on a team is a damn well fine way to go thru a HS semester. Try not to get too wrapped up in negative commentary from folks around you. Holding onto that negativity could spoil your love of baseball even if you initially imtended to use negativity as a motivation.

Good luck.

• Ted Nelson says:

Hit-a-way is a good tool to work on your swing/hand-eye by yourself. Could get a tee too.

You have a ton of time before the spring. Try to get into some sort of fall ball. It is all about how hard you work at it. You can’t change where you are now, but you can get better everyday. You can outwork everyone else.

I would also seek out the HS coaches. Tell them you love baseball and want to work hard. Ask them what to do, and follow through.

• Ted Nelson says:

Persistence and consistency go a long way. Get a workout routine and stick to it. Set goals and work towards them. Keep working. If you’re a Jr this year might take an extra year till the work pays off. Or might have to keep working towards club baseball or intermural softball in college.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

Keep working, man. Get into your town fall ball if possible, try to go to a batting cage with your friends at least a few times a month. Ask your coach for an offseason workout program.

And your definitely not too old to start. Two years ago my team had a kid who hadn’t played at all in years because of knee issues. You’ll be fine.

• Pounder says:

“Avoid the clap.Hey that’s good advice”

Tom Hanks, League of their own.

4. rico says:

hey man since your posting on here thats already a little weird , i say you probably stink so stay in the house and hit the books, if you were any good someone would have had you playing already , become a godd student and work hard to get a good job