Aug

Game 126: Co-Ace

(AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

The Yankees welcomed their ace left-hander back to the rotation last night, and tonight they have their ace right-hander on the mound. Hiroki Kuroda has been one of the very best pitchers in all of baseball this season — sixth most valuable pitcher overall in bWAR — and he’s been especially dominant of late, allowing no more than two earned runs in six of his last seven starts and no more than one earned run in five of his last seven starts. It’s been some run, let me tell you.

The Rays already lost to the Athletics, so the Yankees are guaranteed to lose no ground in the standings regardless of what happens tonight. Of course, I would prefer to see them stretch that AL East lead a little bit. Here’s the starting nine…

SS Derek Jeter
RHP Nick Swisher
2B Robinson Cano
1B Mark Teixeira
CF Curtis Granderson
3B Eric Chavez
Russell Martin
DH Raul Ibanez
LF Ichiro Suzuki

RHP Hiroki Kuroda

Today’s game is scheduled to start a little after 7pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and MLB Network nationally. Enjoy.

CC Sabathia Update: Just in case you were wondering, Sabathia told reporters that he feels fine and had no problems with his elbow the day after his first start off the DL. He went through his regular between-start routine without a problem.

Rotation Update: David Phelps, who was available last night in the bullpen, will start on Monday against the Blue Jays. Thursday’s off-day gave the Yankees a little flexibility this week, and they’ve opted to give Phil Hughes an extra day of rest rather than start him on normal rest against Toronto.

Categories : Game Threads

1. DERP says:

I came across this tidbit earlier. Not sure if it has been mentioned

“Bundy figured to get an inning here and there out of the bullpen, but not according to the latest rumor, which has the Orioles recalling him on Aug. 31 and giving him a start on Sept. 6 against the Yankees at Camden Yards.”

2. Cy Pettitte says:

this should be a relaxing game to watch because, with the Rays losing earlier, I can watch knowing that this game means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

• The Real Greg says:

In terms of life. In terms of baseball it means less then it would have.

• Tom says:

But if they win tonight than tomorrow becomes even less than meaningless… or is it negative meaning?

If the Yankees win tonight, then tomorrow is the true double whammy of no meaning:
      1) They won the series and as we all know by now this means game 3 is gravy as all that matters is winning the series.

2) TB will not be playing and the Yankees would have just picked up 2 games, so they can afford to give one back without it “mattering” (and it’s only 1/2 a game, not a full one).

3. The Real Greg says:

If the Yankees sweep Cleveland, they erase the damage done in the Chicago series like that.

4. Get Phelps Up says:

Martin on the Sox/Dodgers trade: “We’re just not going to have as many four-hour games with Josh Beckett not throwing. That’s good.”

Pretty funny.

5. So I just watched the movie Warrior with Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton. If you haven’t seen it I suggest win or lose by the Yankees tonight to watch it right after the game. It is the best film I have seen in a very long time.

6. Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

In the spirit of life meaning more than baseball, my son started on the road to walking today. Took up to about seven steps on his own.

This changes EVERYTHING.

7. Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

Great news about CC as well. I think I can almost exhale now there.

8. Mike N says:

Missed last night’s game, as I was at Citi Field watching the Mets-Astros game with my good friend who is the Astros GM. Mets fans seemed extremely sullen and unenthusiastic, not surprisingly.

9. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

I can’t believe no one has asked this yet. It seems like it’s the elephant in the room all day.

WHAT DOES BIG MEMBER THINK OF THE RED SOX-DODGERS TRADE??

10. I know I mentioned already, but I can’t get this movie out of my head. Warrior was fucking awesome. If you have Netflix I suggest watching it like immediately. Far and away Hardy’s best effort, 2nd being Bronson.

11. forensic says:

What’s a more droning, sleep inducing sound?

The drum or John Flaherty’s voice?

12. The Real Greg says:

Kuroda’s pitches are up early

13. Chilango says:

Kuroda’s looking for the feel

14. forensic says:

Why does it look like his back is bothering him? Hopefully he’s just not quite fully loose yet.

15. jjyank says:

Good pitch there. Settle down, HIROK.

16. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

fuck

17. Mike N says:

Aargh!

18. Cy Pettitte says:

indescribably lame.

19. jjyank says:

Well fuck. Hope the Yanks brought their bats.

20. The Real Greg says:

The reverse lock strikes early.

21. Chilango says:

Better not say anything. I greg here yet?

22. Eddard says:

Hiroki failed us. Offense needs to bail us out.

23. Well…hopefully Hirok pulls a Hughes and doesn’t allow anything else the rest of the game.

24. Mike N says:

Masterson basically sucks ass. So I’m not too worried.

25. The Real Greg says:

Man that’s depressing. Full honesty here.

26. Chilango says:

We can get 3 off these bum easy. let’s go

27. Gene Okerlund says:

After the joke that was the Top 1st I thought ‘Well I’ll go run a quick errand at the corner store, Hiroki should have no problem first time through the order way he’s been pitching lately’. Uh, guess not. And with the way this bloated flatulent offense has been playing that’s the ball game right there. Rays lose, give them a chance to get some ground back and this is what they do with it — just like how they squander their chances when they have RISP.

I thought the last few starts that they kept Hiroki in for too long. They needed to since their bullpen is so bad and he was the only reliable pitcher they had but those pitches/innings _do_ add up over the course of the season.

28. forensic says:

I miss the hitting out of his mind Chavez.

29. DERP says:

Hurry back A-Rod.

30. jjyank says:

Wait, A-Gon’s response to the collapse last year was that it was “God’s will”? Seriously? Maybe that ticks me off more than others, because I am an atheist. But really? Question for you believers out there, because I can’t wrap my head around that rationale: does God give a shit about a sports team? Does his “will” actually affect what happens in a petty game? Man that grinds my gears.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I just don’t get it.

• The Real Greg says:

really? He said that?

• I have a question for anybody that answers yes to his question. Why is God concerning himself with sports when he should be dealing with the fact so many of his believers go to bed hungry and dying of thirst because he gave them water that is undrinkable.

Also, apologies for offending anyone, but the fact that religious athletes say shit like this really pisses me off.

• jjyank says:

Exactly, that’s my point. If you believe in God, how the hell can he be more focused on the outcome of your baseball team and not the several innocent civilians getting blown up by artillery fire in Syria every day? Or many, many other examples?

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Okay, answer from a believer: God’s will affects EVERYTHING if you’re a believer in the Abrahamic God. So yeah, the collapse was God’s will. The victory was God’s will. Wins, losses, everything is God’s will.

You guys are just bringing up the problem of evil all over again, as if the classical scholastic philosophers have never addressed it before.

As a promise to Mike I promise I won’t even pay attention to any of the responses and I’ll pretend this never happened and I’ll never mentione religion again, even to respond to somebody.

But come on. This isn’t even worth mentioning. He’s a believer who is trying to be optimistic about his situation by pointing out that ultimately God won’t lead him wrong. There’s nothing wrong with that. It was a throw away comment.

• jjyank says:

Fair enough. I disagree firmly, but I won’t argue about it.

• You’re right, this isn’t the time, or place for a fundemental debate on religion. I would like to address one thing you said though “you guys are just bringing up the problem of evil all over again, as if the classical scholastic philosophers have never addressed it before.”
        Two things:
        So what that scholastic philosophers have brought it up? The question hasn’t been answered to my satisfaction.

The God I was taught about as a child is omnipotent. If he wanted to, he could erase evil with a thought.

31. Mike N says:

Shit. He does look a little less limber than usual. He’s not curling his back quite as much as usual in his windup.

32. Hiroki doesn’t have it tonight…I guess he was due for an off night seeing as he hasn’t had one in a few months.

33. Cy Pettitte says:

throw strikes.

34. DERP says:

Kuroda failed us tonight. It happens. Hopefully Lowe is pissed that Cleveland cut him and he will shut them out.

35. bobtaco says:

This is not good.

36. Cy Pettitte says:

guess it’s gonna be a Lowe night.

37. DERP says:

The fact that he is taking forever and still not throwing strikes is making this much worse.

38. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Looking like this is going to be a Lowe night.

39. jjyank says:

Thanks Tex!

40. The Real Greg says:

We really don’t need to worry about the Rays for a bit. They’re off on Sunday and then they play the red hot Texas Rangers

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

It’s not about “worrying.” It’s about adding to that lead any opportunity you get. No, it’s not the end of the world, or anything like that, but any time we don’t take advantage of a Rays loss is a missed opportunity to gain additional breathing room. Still a lot of head-to-head games against them left. It’d be nice to not have those series decide the division.

41. Chilango says:

Kuroda will get his shit together.

42. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Wait, so Greg, you’re standing by your statement that this game means nothing because the Rays lost?

• The Real Greg says:

Yes, in terms of needing to win.

You would like to win to stretch the lead.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

That doesn’t make sense. If they win, that increases their chances of winning the division. If they lose, that decreases their chances of winning the division. That’s why this game matters (same as every other game).

43. Widget says:

Jeremy Guthrie is really bad. It’s fitting that he’s on the royals.

44. Hummingbird S. says:

already down 3? Hiroki shitting the bed?

45. The Real Greg says:

The thing about Kuroda is that he doesn’t pitch well on the road.

He got beat up by the Red Sox, pitched very well against Seattle, and barely hung on against Detroit, giving up only 3 runs but 10 hits.

46. Darren says:

Why the F is Martin batting 7th? Lefty/righty; shmefty flighty.
    He sucks and should bat 9th. Sorry, if you’re hitting below The Mendoza line that should be an unwritten rule.

47. The Real Greg says:

Masterson in his career is 2-3 with a 3.31 ERA against the Yanks so he pitches them tough.

48. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Justin Masterson vs:

Oak: 5.2 IP 9 H 7 ER 2 HR
    Det: 4.0 IP 10 H 7 ER 4 BB
    Min: 5.2 IP 7 H 8 ER
    TB: 4.1 IP 9 H 8 ER 4 BB

Tonight against the Yankees…no hitter.

49. Bobby Banana says:

Argh. I think it’s time to add Masterson to the list of pitchers who have the Yankees number. Yanks should definitely be in on him if Cleveland makes him available. I love groundball pitchers who throw gas.

50. Mike N says:

Greg, you are delusional thinking that whether the Rays won or lost *today* determines whether it matters if the Yanks win or lose *today*. The season outcome is not determined by whether teams win more or less when other teams win or lose, but by the final season record of each team.

51. Mike N says:

Kuroda looks like he’s loosened up a bit more and is curling his body more on the windup.

52. Mike N says:

That Sugardale hot dog behind the plate looks fucking gross.

53. The Real Greg says:

And surprise surprise, Hawk is questioning the strike zone for Quintana

54. Mike N says:

Mattingly is one

55. Bobby Banana says:

Can Towers stop dangling Upton? Either you trade him or you don’t! Stop teasing.

56. DERP says:

Moose was just in the booth for the Orioles broadcast. Looks good.

57. The Real Greg says:

95 with a little sink. Nasty

58. DERP says:

Bautista just got taken out of the Blue Jays Orioles game.

59. Bobby Banana says:

Masterson picked a really bad time to start being dominant. Also he’s getting some generous calls from the ump.

60. Mike N says:

I have just been informed by my wife that Snooki is in labor!

61. The Real Greg says:

Cano’s coming back.

62. Hall and Nokes says:

#DJ1720K

63. Hummingbird S. says:

impossible to hit with a strikezone this big

64. Mike N says:

Teix was delusional there. That was a beautiful strike.

65. The Real Greg says:

That was a good call. Mark just got fooled on the breaking ball.

66. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Some entertainment during a so far shitty game.

67. Bobby Banana says:

Teixeira always takes those pitches that are too close to take.

68. Brian S. says:

Let’s trade Teixeira and A-Rod for Hanley and Gonzalez.

69. Chilango says:

STFU Tex that was a strike.

70. DERP says:

Yunel Escobar is legit awful.

71. Bobby Banana says:

I’m legit amazed/angry on how the Orioles/Rays are still in it.

72. Cy Pettitte says:

Kuroda is a different pitcher now.

73. The Real Greg says:

Both pitchers are getting a big strike zone.

74. Mike N says:

That third strike looked too hittable.

75. Get Phelps Up says:

I think the Yankees are going to win this game.

76. Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

Back from the gym. I hate games in which your normally-great starting pitcher struggles out of the gate, settles down, but you’re then playing catch-up, but probably not as much as Hiroki Kuroda hates it.

Great opportunity to gain some additional breathing room back. Gotta take advantage of as many of these opportunities as possible this late in the season.

77. Brian S. says:

Granderson kind of sucks. It’s not a slump anymore.

78. Cy Pettitte says:

congrats to Russell on being the worst Yankee hitter in over 40 years.

• Brian S. says:

If batting average is your sole criteria on judging a hitter, sure.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’m legitimately impressed that he managed this feat as a member of a currently first place team and almost undoubtedly a 90+ win team.

A tip of the hat to the Amazing Mr. Martin.

79. Bobby Banana says:

Martin will be lucky if he gets a minor league deal next year.

80. Kramerica Industries says:

I see this has been a banner game so far…

81. Brian S. says:

Ibanez/Jones might be the worst platoon we have ever had.

82. Bobby Banana says:

This team is so slow and old. Cash needs to infuse some young blood into this team.

• It’s funny you say that, meanwhile Derek Jeter (aka one of the oldest players on the team) is having an outstanding year.

• Brian S. says:

Joseph and Mustelier will be on the team next year. Maybe even Adams and Zoilo Almonte with his brother Abraham not far behind.

• Mike Axisa says:

Then you’ll want the old and slow players back because those four (or five) will fucking suck. If two of those guys are on the roster at the same time, something went horribly wrong.

• Brian S. says:

That’s BS. Mustelier could easily match what Jones has done and while Joseph probably won’t match Chavez he still has potential. Adams might need another year to replace Nix, ditto Zoilo and Ibanez so I could see us retaining Ichiro and signing another bench outfielder to replace Iboonez.

• Mike Axisa says:

Oh, sure. Mustelier’s 6% walk rate in the minors really has me confident that he won’t hack at enough terrible pitches to match Andruw’s .451 SLG.

• Brian S. says:

Mustelier’s K rate in AAA is 12.7%. That suggests to me that he is not a ‘hacker’ and will make contact. He will not slug like Andruw but I think he could have a much higher on base percentage and play just as good defense in the corners. He also is likely a better baserunner since Andruw is old, slow, and fat and smiles when he strikes out 30% of the time.

• jjyank says:

“easily match”? Are you serious? He’s literally never had a single MLB at bat. Can we stop projecting non-prospects as being locks?

• Brian S. says:

Can we stop pretending that Andruw Jones is an asset? If Mustelier sucks then guess what, we aren’t in a worse position than we are with Andruw on the team.

• jjyank says:

Mustelier could absolutely be worse. Maybe not, but he could be.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Andruw’s been a big disappointment, but he’s still been close to league average offensively. It’s entirely possible Mustelier can be worse than that.
                I don’t think Andruw will be back, but I don’t think Mustelier will be the replacement.

• He’s not an asset at all, but there are better options out there than both of them. I’d take Hunter on the team before either of them next season. I know he’s generally hated by NYY fans, but the dude can still field and hit a little bit. Definitely enough to platoon.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Joseph has some potential offensively, but he hasn’t played third since 2010, despite an organizational need given Arod’s injuries. I’m guessing there is a reason for that, and Joseph likely won’t be considered as a replacement for Chavez.

• Brian S. says:

I have been told that any middle infielder could move to third. So I don’t see what the issue would be. CoJo could get regular at-bats against righties at DH, 3B, and occasionally 2B next season.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I’ve read that he doesn’t have the arm strength to play third. The fact that he hasn’t played 3rd at all in a couple of years despite being blocked by Cano at 2B would seem to indicate they don’t see him as a 3B. I may be wrong.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Maybe as injury callups. I’m guessing none of those guys are on the opening day roster unless it’s filling in for an injury.

83. Mike N says:

JACK ONE, ICHIRO!!!!!!

84. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Surprise, surprise.

85. Hall and Nokes says:

Bottom of the order used to be a lot more fun when it was good

86. The Real Greg says:

Bad luck again. They got good contact on two balls and they didn;t fall.

• The Real Greg says:

Maybe Ibanez’s wasn’t good contact but as Kay said, it was ticketed for center field.

• Gene Okerlund says:

There is no such thing as “luck” — there are just things that happen and things that don’t. “Luck” is something projected onto a thing that happens by someone observing or experiencing it. Saying “that line-out was bad luck” is a sort of moral complaint about the world: “that line-out was the sort of hit that ought to get one a base, but it just so happened that it didn’t; the hitter did not receive his just moral reward for his hitting, through no fault of his own”. But the world is meaningless; things happen as they do just because there is nothing else that could possibly happen; to talk about “luck” is to act as if one has a privileged sense of judgment about actually meaningless things.

• Chilango says:

spot on.

• Gene Okerlund says:

The problem is that there’s no way to decide what’s luck and what isn’t. Is it bad luck if you take a swing that would be very good if only the ball stayed straight, but the swing misses because the ball breaks? Is it bad luck if you just happened to be genetically predisposed to taking those bad swings at breaking pitches, like many of the Yankees seem to be? And so forth. Of course, we can have a meaningful discussion with each other about what’s “bad luck” and what someone is “morally responsible” for – e.g., we might come to an agreement that bad curveball hitting means he’s just a “bad player” not that he’s a good player merely having “bad luck”. But we don’t really need a single self-satisfied overlord appointing himself to tell us what’s luck and what isn’t.

87. The Real Greg says:

Anyone know the Yankees BaBIP with RISP?

88. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Russell Martin just bailed out Kuroda big time, excellent play by the Russ Bus.

89. Bobby Banana says:

Cleveland’s backup catcher has a high batting average than our starting catcher.

Let that soak in.

90. Kramerica Industries says:

Two on and no out.

Time to make some hay.

91. The Real Greg says:

This is their golden chance

92. Mike Axisa says:

This feels like the reverse of the last few games. Tribe scored early but didn’t capitalize on Kuroda’s shittyness enough. Yanks poised to do damage.

93. Kramerica Industries says:

Solid piece of hitting there.

Get some more.

94. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

It’s amazing how many Yankee RISP hits don’t result in runs.

95. Damn…If only it was a little higher and Derek could’ve just run.

96. The Real Greg says:

Good baserunning

97. Tags all around and Jeter scores. I approve.

98. Kramerica Industries says:

Well, that’ll work.

Any run counts.

99. Eddard says:

Bases loaded, no outs. Time for a K and a DP.

100. Chilango says:

Nice baserunning.

101. Bobby Banana says:

Love the sac fly! Great Tex! I feared a double play there especially with a groundball pitcher…

102. Chilango says:

Crooked number time let’s go

103. The Real Greg says:

Avoid the DP Chavez.

104. Kramerica Industries says:

Oh that was some poor luck there.

105. The Real Greg says:

MORE BAD LUCK

106. Get Phelps Up says:

Fuck. that was smoked.

107. The Real Greg says:

THERE IT IS AGAIN

108. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

109. Cy Pettitte says:

this is ridiculous. everything is smoked and they get one fucking run.

110. Did Russel Martin run over babip God’s puppy or something?

111. Anthony says:

I’m just going to tell myself that these bases loaded, RISP issues will sort themselves out. Unreal.

112. forensic says:

Well, that was disappointing. Like Mike said, it does look like the reverse of last night, right down to the same score. Hopefully that will change in the last 3 innings though.

113. The Real Greg says:

The Yankees BaBIP in scoring situations has not been kind to them all year. And it shows again. UNbelievable.

114. Eddard says:

You’re playing the worst team in the league and you can’t manage more than 1 run with the bases loaded and no outs? Really? Try to get a hit Chavez. Maybe Martin could hit .200 this season.

115. Brian S. says:

The Indians should make Carlos Santana available instead of Choo. Assuming his pitch framing is good.

116. Cy Pettitte says:

Sugar Land Skeeter Roger Clemens striking some guy out

117. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Hey guys, I just yelled “FUCK!!!” really loud and gace the tv the middle finger. I’m just saying.

118. Gene Okerlund says:

“Russell Martin’s batting average has not been kind to him this year.”

“Jon Lester’s ERA has not been kind to him this year.”

- A really strange way of speaking that imagines statistical measurements are moral persons which can be “kind” or “not kind” to the human beings the statistical measurements are supposedly about

• The Real Greg says:

BABIP with RISP is something that much harder to control than ERA or batting average.

• Gene Okerlund says:

You cannot “control” statistics.

You do things. Or, things happen, which is the same thing. Statistics measure those things that happen.

119. Tom Q says:

It’s a measure of how much Kuroda’s pulled it together that he’s now got a lower pitch count than Masterson. I think he was about 25 pitches ahead of him after the 2nd.

120. Brian S. says:

I’m surprised they let Kuroda start today instead of Phelps. Couldn’t Hiroki have used the extra day of rest since he’s old?

121. The Real Greg says:

They are going to have to hit a homer to win this game if this bad luck continues. I counted 4 hard hit balls with runners in scoring position that were diverted or hit right at people.

They’re BaBIP with RISP is .20 points below the league average. And it has showed tonight.

• Gene Okerlund says:

Would it be good luck for them to hit a home run? I think it would be good luck in a completely neutral situation. Given that they are really in need in a home run in this situation, because of their bad luck elsewhere (a bad luck which we can apparently reasonably expect to hold for the rest of the game), it seems that we can say it would be _especially_ good luck to hit a home run. Here’s hoping for good luck!

• Brian S. says:

Home runs don’t win ballgames. We’re going to need to get a single- bunt-single our way in two consecutive innings because small ball wins games.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

That makes no sense.

I don’t care how they score, but runs win games. If they get them by HR or if they get them with the ol’ “small ball” inning I don’t care. All I know is it’s completely possible for somebody to hit a 3 run homer and give us the lead, or hit a 2 run homer right now and tie.

Home runs don’t win games. Small ball doesn’t win games. Runs win games. And home runs score runs, every time.

• Chilango says:

Some of that is probably the result of the shift our big bats/ no avg guys hit into.

122. Cy Pettitte says:

maybe they should try hitting the ball softer?

123. Kramerica Industries says:

God is that right field playing mind games with me.

124. Hall and Nokes says:

Yankees’ BABIP with the bases loaded is .173. I assume thats going into tonight.

125. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Perhaps if all we hit are extremely soft dribblers we can get hits and score runs.

126. Hummingbird S. says:

damn you Choo

127. mike_h says:

does that mean Aceves will be on the trading block? I’d be interested

128. Brian S. says:

I wonder if Jeter will be able to do it again next year.

129. Gene Okerlund says:

Ichiro really can’t hit anymore. It is too bad that age makes baseball players not hit as well as they used to, and makes people in general less physically fit to perform in the world. Every time I see him waste another Yankee at-bat, I think “Man, it’s bad luck for the Yankees that aging exists.”

130. Hummingbird S. says:

a swish homer would be nice right about now

131. Eddard says:

Those two men on base are just going to be headed right to the LOB stat. I have no confidence in this club to knock runners in right now. It’s HR or bust.

132. Brian S. says:

Sweet, Cleveland didn’t go to a lefty. Pestano is good but right handed so Cano might be able to knock one in.

133. Hummingbird S. says:

I don’t know why but I have a lot more confidence in Cano than Teix here… even though Robbie’s numbers suck with RISP

134. Kramerica Industries says:

Make this count, Tex.

135. Anthony says:

C’mon Tex you’re overdue

136. The Real Greg says:

Cano’s plate discipline has been much better this year than last year.

137. Eddard says:

Cano’s the best hitter on the team. He needs to do better than just pass the baton there.

138. Cy Pettitte says:

of course.

139. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Un-fucking real.

140. Kramerica Industries says:

God.

That’s four times in this series alone with the bases left loaded.

141. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I bet you NOBODY here predicted THAT would happen, amirite????

142. The Real Greg says:

Bad luck. He just missed it and popped it up.

• Tom says:

Sadly, I don’t think this is sarcasm.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Squaring the ball up isn’t luck, it’s skill. Bad luck would be if he squared it up and hit it at somebody.

• forensic says:

You’re just never going to get it, are you? Not everything is attributable to luck.

• The Real Greg says:

In Baseball it is. The whole game is essentially luck. Players can’t direct the ball where they want to go.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

So the difference between Miguel Cabrera and Chris Stewart is that Cabrera is luckier?

• forensic says:

You’re really just not even worth getting into this with. It’s really sad if you actually believe everything you spout on here.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’ve been keeping quiet, but I just want to state my agreement. You’re right-Johnny Bench wasn’t better than Russel Martin. It was totally luck. And Mickey Mantle was no better than Shelley Duncan-luck. And Jeter? Why, if it weren’t for luck, he’d suck!

Thank you for finally opening my eyes, Greg.

• Tom says:

I’m still waiting for him to call a HR that goes 500ft “lucky”

…because you know if the batter swung a cm or two lower it might have been a ground out or a popup.

You’d think ANY hitter in baseball would “luck” their way into a 25 HR season or a .300 batting average at some point.

“YAGJ”

(Yet Another Greg Justification)

143. Anthony says:

I would love to know the Yankee’s BA with bases loaded. In other news, I think after that I’m going to take a break from baseball for a few days…

144. Chilango says:

Aw what bad luck. If that pitch had only struck Tex’s bat 1cm lower it would have been a slam.

145. Eddard says:

Sick of hearing this shit about getting unlucky. They’re just flat out not getting the job done, not getting the bit hit in the clutch. Teix was swinging for the fences there instead of just trying to get a hit and tie the ballgame.

• The Real Greg says:

THe stats say otherwise.

• forensic says:

I’d love to see the ‘unlucky’ stat.

• babip can be considered a “luck related stat.” Sure it has its roots in LD% and FB% and GB% but if a team has an high LD% and a low babip one could argue they are an unlucky team. Also, you’re record in 1 run games is largely due to luck. Had one thing broken another way the outcome is completely changed. Luck plays a bigger factor than some of you are giving it credit for, and not as much as Greg is.

• Tom says:

Greg doesn’t realize BABIP normalizes to a league average for Pitchers, not hitters.

He also doesn’t realize one of the reasons the Yankees have a low BABIP is because they hit a lot of HR’s (which don’t count as a BIP)

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

No, Greg said that in baseball the whole game is essentially luck. None of us are going completely in the other direction. forensic asked for the “unlucky stat” and you pointed out that BABIP depends largely on variables that swing wildly from game to game, as do one run wins.

There is no “unlucky stat”. BABIP, as you pointed out, has factors the players are responsible. There are a lot of variables people can’t control but denying the skill of the ballplayers completely is ludicrous. None of us are denying luck completely. We’re just reacting to Greg’s insanity posts.

• Chilango says:

Can’t wait for Joe’s postgame. “Hey we put some good at bats on them. That’s baseball”

146. Gene Okerlund says:

Man, BABIP screws the Yankees again! Bad luck! That pop-up could have fallen.

147. fin says:

Had to turn the game off last night after the Risp failures. Cant take it again tonight. Hopefully, turning the game off again tonight works as well as it did last night.

148. The Real Greg says:

And here coems the fucking anger. STOP THE ANGER!

149. Get Phelps Up says:

That’s bad luck because Hannahan should have gotten out of the way.

150. Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

BABIES!

151. Eddard says:

I think Hiroki’s saying, well I tried long enough and now I’m just giving up. Can’t really blame him with all the men LOB. I’ve never seen a more unclutch team than this one. HR or bust. They’re all trying to hit the big HR like Swisher did last night.

152. Get Phelps Up says:

That’s just bad luck for the Indians because Jeter didn’t make an error.

153. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

After a very shaky start, Kuroda managed a good start.

Now about that run support ….

154. Chilango says:

A double play. Hey what BAD LUCK for the Indians, If that ball had been two feet to the left the score would be 4 – 1.

155. Gene Okerlund says:

It’s good luck for the Yankees that they had good enough luck to get that double-play.

156. Kramerica Industries says:

Granderson striking out.

Well, there’s a shocker.

157. forensic says:

No John, it’s not the velocity or deception.

It’s all luck!!!

158. Chilango says:

Right down the middle, fuck. Gtanderson what are you doing.

159. Gene Okerlund says:

Please for the love of god Martin get on here so our 1-2 in the 9th doesn’t have to be Ibanez/Ichiro. That would be terrible luck.

160. Eddard says:

This is the problem for Hiroki. He can’t make a mistake. If he doesn’t win 1-0 he won’t win. It’s just like Felix. I don’t know if this helps his Cy young candidacy or hurts it.

161. Cy Pettitte says:

A-Gon 1st AB = 3 run HR. lol.

162. Hummingbird S. says:

what a shitty effort from the offense.. 3 games in a row now..

163. Chilango says:

Can you believe that luck? Hannahan was right there

164. Tom says:

Unlucky AB…. another cm or two and Martin would have a HR on like 4 or 5 of those foul balls.

Pestano just got really lucky. Or did Martin get unlucky?

165. Kramerica Industries says:

AGonz hitting a three run homer in his first Dodger at bat.

Of course.

166. Kramerica Industries says:

Yankees haven’t won a single game this year where they trailed after 8.

Buck that trend tonight.

167. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

HIROK :)

Offense :(

• Anthony says:

Not like this is something new….Nope…..poor Hirok, 3 runs should be nothing to this lineup but no…

• forensic says:

Sadly, you combine their usual run support for Kuroda with their general poor road play over the last bunch of weeks and this is what you can get.

168. forensic says:

Unfortunately, you can’t erase that 3 run homer, but it is very impressive that Kuroda settled down and shut them down for the likely CG. Looked like he wasn’t lasting 4-5 innings.

169. Cy Pettitte says:

Kuroda 8IP ruined by one bad pitch and an ineffective offense. yuck.

170. Eddard says:

Ibanzez – Flyout
    Ichiro – K
    Jeter – Groundout

The 9th inning is already scripted.

171. Tom says:

4 hit ball over 8 innings – that’s a pretty damn good effort for Kuroda and a game the Yankees should win.

172. Kramerica Industries says:

The only game I can think of this year where Hiroki was picked up by his offense was the crazy game against Beckett at Fenway in July.

Hard to remember any others.

173. Karl Krawfid says:

Clutch Raul. Clutch.

174. Hummingbird S. says:

nice AB by Raul

175. Kramerica Industries says:

Holy shit was he safe.

176. Hummingbird S. says:

safe.. but it’s nice that the ump wants to go home

177. Tom says:

Swinging strike 1….

Always good to try for the game tying 2 run HR with the bases empty.

178. Kramerica Industries says:

Sometimes, I am enlightened to hear the frustration in Michael Kay’s voice coming through.

Rays already lost today, and lost 2/3 to the A’s, a very nice gift from Oakland. This is looking like a total missed opportunity.

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

Totally. Gotta use moments like these to put some distance there. Too many games against the Rays left.

• Kramerica Industries says:

I figured the Yankees have to win five of the six games against the Indians and Jays in order to be in a relatively comfortable position, entering that stretch against the O’s and Rays.

As it stands, they’ll need to win their next four games to make that come to fruition.

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

I mean……not having a dogfight in the AL East is a luxury, but it’d sure be nice for those series against the Rays to mean less.

Like you said, missed opportunity.

• forensic says:

The Rays lost so this game meant nothing.

/greg’d

• Kramerica Industries says:

Whenever I miss a game, or the majority of it, and the Yankees lose a proverbial, non-descript 4-1 game or something, I often hear conjecture like “you didn’t miss anything”.

Hogwash. I’ll never buy such logic. I always deal with things better when I saw what happened.

Not to distract from your crack, however.

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

I missed last night’s game, but watched this one.

I’d much rather have reversed that. I could do just fine only hearing about games like this.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I agree. I’d much rather watch a win than a loss, regardless of the circumstances.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Eh.

I’m a bit of a masochist. If things go bad, I need to see it. It’s like this beyond just baseball-related matters. I have a very active imagination, and the last thing I want to do is set the wheels in motion on that.

‘Cuz if I do, disaster abounds.

179. Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

Now THIS is my least favorite type of loss.

I also hate Duane Reade and am waiting entirely too long for my dinner to be delivered. Fuckety fuck fuck.

• rek4gehrig says:

Duane Reade?

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

NYC pharmacy chain. Best known for severely understaffing at all hours of day and making you wait in line for an eternity. The one near me is the absolute worst for this.

• Ethan says:

I hate blown saves much more than this type of loss.

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

Nah. This is all types of bad. Starting pitcher gets off on the wrong foot, shakes it off and has a great game, but the team can’t pick him up. Hate that. Of course, that goes hand in hand with not executing with RISP.

I could always forgive a Mo blown save because, when you beat Mo, you’ve beat the best that ever lived.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I agree with you on this one. Blown saves SUCK.

180. Kramerica Industries says:

Pitiful.

181. ArchStanton says:

Agonizing loss. Ugh.

182. Mike N says:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

183. Rocky Road Redemption says:

So, now that the game is over, a random “me” update:

I’ve FINALLY started getting around to playing Portal. As addicting as it is I’ve been stuck in the same small area for about 45 minutes of playing time. Fucking frustrating.

The game itself, though, is pretty fucking awesome.

184. Eddard says:

The Rays lost to a tough ballclub today. We lost to one of the worst teams in the league. Now the series hinges on a battle of the 5 ERA pitchers. And if we lose, we will have gained no games at all on Tampa despite them playing a playoff contender and us playing a sinking ship.

185. Gene Okerlund says:

From now on, whenever the Yankees lose at Yankee Stadium, they should play the McCartney/Lennon classic – ‘All You Need Is Luck’.

186. Celerino Sanchez says:

Just a disgrace. Now tomorrow we need to pray that “good” Freddy shows up or else we’ll lose a series to a team that hasn’t won one in a really long time.

I keep thinking I’ll wake up and this RISPFAIL nightmare will be over. Unfortunately it looks like the theme for the 2012 season will be “can they win without hitting at all with RISP?”

187. Nice Scheister says:

What am awful offensive showing, someone tell Tex and Raul it’s okay not to swing for the fence with every AB, a single is okay every once and while. Terrible game.

188. Tom Q says:

One bad pitch at the wrong moment + hard-hit balls that refused to fall in = grueling loss.

And, of course, a sign that the team will lose in the first round. (Kidding. I need to specify that, because someone will say it for real)

• Chilango says:

The Yanks have played .500 ball since the all-star break. Shaky rotation, NO middle relief, Lowe sucks, Eppely and Rapada are an accident waiting to happen. DRob is good but not like last year. We have two guys who hit for avg; the rest are below .270. Tex, Swish (who HAS been hot lately) and Granderson strike out way too much. Martin is awful at the plate. Chavy, Ibañez and Ichiro are OLD and probably running out of gas…

189. Celerino Sanchez says:

Ibanez has looked done for about a month. All those games in the field seem to have taken a toll. Ditto for Jones. Chavez has clearly been excellent being pressed into extensive time but he has cooled off as well. At least Cano showed some life today. Other than Jeter and Swisher there ain’t much going on other than a homer every now and again from Grandy.

190. Athenian says:

Thisntema better figure things out. They are going to lose again tomorrow making the road trip a one win trip. Not good

191. rek4gehrig says:

RISPFAIL is making this a very long season. I’m emotionally drained. Goodnight all

192. OldYanksFan says:

Yankees RISP: 1-7, LOB 9.

193. Wang make good food says:

By contrast look at the tigers. 8th inning, two outs, bases empty, their first baseman hits an opposite field single, next guy up hits a single, their fatass first baseman Prince Fielder went from 1st to 3rd (if he can, why can’t most of the Yankees?) , next guy up hits a 2-run double and they lead now. So let’s check that off:

-8th inning
    -2 outs bases loaded
    -1b hits an OPPOSITE FIELD SINGLE
    -1b goes first to third on a single (he’s also morbidly obese)
    -clutch double
    -did I mention it’s the 8th inning?
    -5 hits in a row, no homers
    -lineup chugging along, no big blow and then shut down.

If an “inferior” lineup can do that, why can’t the Yankees? Oh and nerds, spare me the saber metric shit. Some things go beyond stats.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Yankees haven’t had a 5 hit rally all season.
      By contrast, the Tigers do it every eighth inning.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

The tigers are so gritty that every win they’ve had has been held together through spit, duct tape, prayers, and good old-fashioned American elbow grease.

Wait, what?

• Mike Stanley says:

“If an “inferior” lineup can do that, why can’t the Yankees? Oh and nerds, spare me the saber metric shit.”

No. We will not spare you logic and reason. The statistics are formed from events that occurred during the game. They are the accurate measure of what happens.

The Yankees are a better team than the Tigers in every way. Screw five-hit rallies. What a crap argument.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Oh and nerds, spare me the saber metric shit.

You know I’d go research the sabermetric shit but I’m too lazy to leave my Mom’s basement.

• Heisenberg's Hat says:

You nerds with your science and information! Give me gut feelings! All I care about is what a player looks like with a mouthful of chaw! Does he get his uniform dirty?
      THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT MATTER.

194. Mick taylor says:

Yanks need another outfielder. When the rosters expand I would bring up two catchers so girardi could pinch hit for Martin after the 5th inning. Martin is horrible. He has cost this team at least 10 games. He is worst catcher hitting wise they have ever had. That includes the immortals frank fernandez, Matt nokes,and Jake Gibbs. It is absurd he is hitting 190 range. Even in the 1960s when the yanks sucked , a190 hitter was hard to find. And his defense is at best average. Why did genius cashman let Jose Molina go?

• tipsie says:

personally, I’ve been wondering for weeks why they haven’t given Dickerson a look; he’s raking; it’s time

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I’d like to see it, but they’d have to release Ichiro or Ibanez, and they won’t do either. Hopefully they bring him up in September.

• Chilango says:

Jake Gibbs, Now there’s a name from the nightmare years-the Yanks sucked in the 60s but at least their payroll wasn’t outrageous and my dad didn’t have to donate a kidney to buy me a hot dog and soda in the RF bleachers.

• forensic says:

I hope there’s another Jose Molina somewhere because the one I know of is all of 2 hits away from hitting in that same .190 range.

• Bunt Gardner says:

Jose Molina is batting .209. Seriously, find another team or better yet, another sport.

• Tabbert says:

hey… .209 is solid bro. That’s about 20 points higher than martin.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Gotta love someone complaining about Martin’s offense and then complaining that the Yankees no longer have a guy who’s making more outs (while hitting for less power) than Martin.

195. Tabbert says:

Why did girardi decide to tinker with the lineup? He had granderson in that sixth hole for a while and it seemed the offense was starting to hit a groove. Then.. he decides to move grandy to the fifth hole. Not saying that has anything to do with us sucking.. but just curious. Also.. its pretty laughable that the YANKEES have a .190 hitter in their 7th hole. Its literally just like having a pitcher in the lineup… maybe worse.

• forensic says:

He moved him because Chavez is no longer hitting out of his mind and deserving of the higher lineup spot.

• Tabbert says:

what did granderson do to merit being moved up in the lineup? I must have missed something.

• forensic says:

He did nothing to merit it. But, he’s generally a better hitter than Chavez, as aggravating as many of Granderson’s AB’s can be, and is higher on the totem pole to determine things such as this.

• Chilango says:

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. We have two guys that hit for avg. and now that the HR derby is cooling off somewhat, the flaws are showing. Swish has been on a tear lately but he Tex, Granderson, and Jones strike out way too much. Chavy and Ibalez have cooled off which is no surprise: they are OLD. Then there’s the pitching….

• Mike Axisa says:

Teixeira doesn’t strike out too much at all. He has one of the lowest strikeout rates among power hitters in all of baseball. He gets painted with a wide brush mostly because people don’t know what they’re talking about and strikeouts are a generic complaint.

• Fin says:

I know you dont love Tex. However, I have to ask what constitutes a “power hitter”? While we are at it, is Tex a good power hitter?

196. Chilango says:

KC put up a 6 spot in the 7th to tie the Suxies. Maybe the evening won’t be a total loss baseball-wise.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Ciriaco out at the plate in the 10th. A Red Sox loss and another Adrian homer in LA would be kind of nice.