Sep

Tonight’s game rained out, doubleheader tomorrow

Unsurprisingly, the ugly weather in New York has forced tonight’s series opener against the Blue Jays to be postponed. The two clubs will play a day-night doubleheader tomorrow, with the first game starting at 1pm ET. Andy Pettitte starts the day game and David Phelps the night game, with everyone else getting pushed back a day.

The most significant impact of the rain-out is that is pushes Pettitte’s return from the DL back a day, so he’ll only make three regular season starts instead of four now. Oh well, at least the bullpen gets another night off.

Categories : Asides

1. gc says:

They could conceivably get him into another game, whether it’s extra innings or coming in relief for a starter who gets pulled early. Not sure how willing they would be to do that, and of course, a lot depends on how the standings are at the time, but I would think Andy would be willing to get into a game situation like that if the opportunity arose. And if not, I wonder if there would possibly be a simulated game he could pitch to stay sharp. Thinking out loud…

2. Hardy says:

At least he will be available for the first play-in game.

3. JLC 776 says:

Ugh… I’m scared enough of the A’s, having to throw Sweaty Freddy at them does not help relieve my anxiety. I wouldn’t want to see Phelps start because I honestly think he’s more valuable in the bullpen now.

Fracking rain….

• PhillyMatt says:

Looks like Pettitte day game/Phelps night game and Hughes moved to Thursday, so we would have Nova, Sabathia, Kuroda for the A’s series.

• JLC 776 says:

Ah, looks like the ninja-edited the article. This could be much better if the starters do their job. Phelps starts and is ready again for the bullpen by the time the A’s come into town.

4. Pat D says:

Stupid Safari. I just posted a comment in the last thread about the game being off, and as soon as I did this article shows up.

5. Better off Eddard says:

I’m not worried at all and I think this actually helps us. We’ll have two big game pitchers going tomorrow with a chance to take the series in one day. I’m not too confident in our Game 3 starter but maybe we can win a slugfest with the Jays.

6. Al in Houston says:

Why Phelps tomorrow night? What happened to Hughes? Is something wrong?

• Mike says:

I don’t get it either much. It would make more sense to pitch Hughes in the night game. Pettitte will be limited so he’d probably throw somewhere from 5-6 innings. And you can’t excpect Phelps to pitch many more innings than that either. Hughes meanwhile has thrown 7 innings in 4 out of his past 6 starts.

Would make more sense to use Hughes, but hopefully Phelps has a good game and can go 6+.

I’ll be at tomorrow night’s game.

7. Anthony says:

Hope the Mariners whoop the O’s today.

8. Drew says:

I am assuming that todays game is scheduled for 1pm tomorrow and that tomorrows stays at its regularly scheduled time.

• Trish says:

That’s what Yankees.com is stating, yes. I had tickets for tonight’s game, glad the Yankees saw reason (or Doppler radar) and postponed early to save us a trip to the Bronx, which we’ll gladly take tomorrow.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

At least in Brooklyn, it hasn’t outright poured yet all day, but it’s looked crappier and crappier all day. I fully expect a monsoon exactly when it’s time to close out the office tnight.

9. Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

LOL

10. I’d much rather Hughes start one of the games tomorrow on regular rest and give Phelps the extra day. I have more confidence in Hughes going deeper in the night-cap which would be awesome if Pettitte runs out of pitches in the 4th or 5th in the day game.

11. Mike Myers says: