Oct

ALCS Game Three Thread: Yankees @ Tigers

This situation right now is pretty much the closest the Yankees will ever get to being the underdog. They’re down two games to none in the best-of-seven ALCS, they haven’t hit a lick in the postseason, and the best pitcher on the planet will be on the mound for the Tigers tonight. It’s a truly dire situation for Joe Girardi‘s club.

That’s why a win tonight would be huge. The Yankees will have stolen a game from Justin Verlander and injected a little life into what has been a very one-sided series. I don’t know about the players, but I think the emotional pick-me-up for fans would be pretty enormous. It’s easy to be (very) down on the club right now, but going into Comerica Park and stealing a game from Verlander would be a great way to get back into the series and remind everyone who finished the season with the best record in the league. Here are the lineups…

New York Yankees
LF Brett Gardner
RF Ichiro Suzuki
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Robinson Cano
DH Raul Ibanez
Russell Martin
3B Eric Chavez
CF Curtis Granderson
SS Eduardo Nunez

RHP Phil Hughes (16-13, 4.23)

Detroit Tigers
CF Austin Jackson
LF Quintin Berry
3B Miguel Cabrera
1B Prince Fielder
DH Delmon Young
RF Andy Dirks
SS Jhonny Peralta
C  Alex Avila
2B Omar Infante

RHP Justin Verlander (17-8, 2.64)

It’s chilly in Detroit but that’s all. Classic playoff weather. Tonight’s game is scheduled to start a little after 8pm ET and can be seen on TBS. Enjoy.

Ticket Update: If you want to catch any game in this series, either in New York or Detroit, make sure you check out RAB Tickets for some sweet last minute deals.

Categories : Game Threads, Playoffs

498 Comments

1. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

I bet that Justin Verlander is perfect boyfriend material. Comes off like a total gentleman who would pay for dinner before even thinking about getting in your pants. I’d date him.

2. manny says:

WE WILL BEAT VERLANDER. I PROMISE.

3. dkidd says:

the germans have bombed pearl harbor

we have nothing left to lose

4. Little CANOlli says:

this will be one of the most memorable games we’ve ever seen. book it.

5. Laz says:

Long is teaching Martin and Nunie to bat Lefthanded as we speak.

6. adsf says:

Very happy that the man with the .356 career batting average with RISP is starting (101 atbats, so relatively sss). He knows how to shorten up his swing and avoid striking out (a key to manufacturing runs) and he is my key to the game. Yes, Eduardo Nunez.

• Laz says:

I’m glad Nunez is starting. Nix really doesn’t give enough offense, and Hughes is a flyball pitcher anyways.

7. MattJasp says:

I see a lot of base hit bunt attempts this game. Speed in the lineup, try to get something working, and why not take advantage of Miggy at 3rd?

8. A.D. says:

Granderson surviving to get the start

9. Eddard says:

I’ve been saying since yesterday, Yanks win this game 6-3 and will go on to win the series. The triple lead off of Nunie, Gardy and Ichy will wreck havoc on the bases and Robbie Cano will get off the schnide tonight. Fly ball Phil will do well enough and Soriano gets his first untuck of the postseason.

10. OMG! Bagels! says:

We’re down to our almost AAA lineup. If they can’t do it, no one can. But no one would give us credit for being the “little guys.”

11. AnthonyD says:

How many times was Francesa going to mention his understanding for keeping Grandy in for his defense.

12. Darren a/k/a Judd Nelson's nostrils says:

So what are you guys gonna do tonight? I’m gonna clean up the apt, maybe organize my files and water the plants.

/right after I pee my pants from nervousness

13. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Let’s see what poison shall I pick for the evening?

14. OMG! Bagels! says:

What did Joe say to Swish?

“The fans are disappointed in you.”
    Swish: “Well I’m disappointed in them.”
    Joe: “The fans that disappoint us stay with the teams. Players who disappoint us do not.”
    Swisher: “Oh. Crap.”

15. Cuso says:

Exact people that I thought should be in the lineup, are.

I’m satisfied.

16. Joe F (Philthy Phil Uuuuse) says:

Didn’t know Girardi had the sack to put Gardy in.

17. dkidd says:

hopefully joe is as gutsy with the bullpen as he was with the line-up

18. Drew says:

Phaith in Phil!

19. MacDaddyAlex call me maybe? says:

sighs….. lets roll. :S

20. awesomeo says:

Hughes will go 7 2/3 giving up 3 runs.

Verlander goes 7 giving up 5 runs.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I’ll sign up for this right now. As long as It doesn’t go Verlander gives up 2, Hughes gives up all 3 in like the fourth then we have to deal with three innings hearing about Hughes shitting the bed before we put up the other 3 runs.

• awesomeo says:

haha I know it’s not likely, but I could see it happening. It’s cold, Hughes is a flyball pitcher throwing in a big field. The ball shouldn’t leave the park much… hopefully. IDK. I’ll keep positive. Honestly Verlander is great, but we’ve hit him before.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

I’ll sign up in blood.

21. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Keep submitting those game predictions. They keep getting funnier and funnier!

22. Andy says:

How can you possibly bench Alex in this game? It’s a mistake for this game and a mistake for the long term. You’re not going to give one of the greatest players of all time an opportunity to turn things around? Such shit. This is way more personal than Torre’s decision to bat him 8th. And how can you expect him to come off the bench and perform after being demoted? I don’t think Giradri has any intention of using him tonight under any circumstances.

• TomH says:

Agreed.

• MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

yea, you think ALEX is said. This guy is one of my fav players ever. I was him for hollween in 2009… you should see how i feel…

• jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Eh. I love A-Rod, I really do. But he’s looked really bad this post season, and pretty much since he came off the DL. Maybe he’s okay with it because he knows deep down that his hand problem is still lingering. Who knows? Let’s not start psychoanalyzing the players from our living rooms.

Bottom line is he has been bad. And like Mike has said several times, this is not technically a must-win, but it pretty much is. I applaud Girardi for trying to spark something, considering how bad the offense has been.

• Laz says:

I agree, Alex has a .333/.448/.750 line vs Verlander in his career to boot.

• MannyGeee (Give Philip some run support) says:

Also, why would you bench him in Detroit…. not nearly enough pussy to keep him occupied in Detroit… amirite???

#mountainoutofamolehill

23. Joe says:

Is it me or is Dennis Eckersley a Yankee hater? Wow this guy is terrible!

• RkyMtnYank says:

I was great last game when he said that it didn’t matter that Cano tagged the guy out at second because the Yanks were lucky that he overran the base in the first place.

24. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

I feel jealous and insecure. Comerica looks like all 45,000 people are ready to party.

25. vicki says:

phil “gimme some a’ that run support” hughes: stopper.

26. Mike HC says:

I’ve just got a surge of confidence in the Yanks tonight … Axisa’s earlier post about the good times probably helped.

This is the season.

27. TinoBambino24 says:

The Yankees are going to get their om nom nom on, tonight.

28. OMG! Bagels! says:

I think Arod should be on the bench but maybe tomorrow. I want to see him do something besides not being the asshole who struck out in Game 2 (thank goodness he got a single at least). That could have been the beginning of his re-Arodness.

29. I’m irrational right now, but in this case, that’s a good thing.

The Phranchise lives up to his nickname tonight. C.C. will toe the rubber with a chance to tie the series tomorrow night.

• Mike HC says:

I’m irrationally predicting a Yankee win with a relatively high scoring game (or normal scoring game), although all evidence seems to point against it.

30. AnthonyD says:

I haven’t heard Smoltz since the Balt. series. He was not missed.

31. TinoBambino24 says:

Rodriguez: “Hi, mom.”

Douchebag

32. AnthonyD says:

WTF?

33. Carl LaFong says:

IMO, sitting A-Rod against Verlander is conceding this series. Is this Girardi’s decision or Cashman/Levine/Front Offices decision? W/the way this club was hitting at the end of the season & in the ALDS, Gardner was fortunate to have even made the post-season roster as a pinch runner & defensive replacement as he hasn’t had the chance to hit all year & he’lll give you virtually nothing w/his stick, so putting him in this position to fail is an inexcusable choice of the Yankee “Braintrust”. Having him leadoff is just flat out begging to lose.

Your leadoff hitter should be Ichiro obviously, w/Nunez hitting second & playing left-field. The rest of the lineup is Cano & Texeira 3, 4, & A-Rod 5, Ibanez d/h’g & 6th, Nix 7th, & Granderson & Martin 8 & 9 respectively. Martin is dead wood in the middle of the order as he showed in game 2, & just moving him back one spot in the order to 6th doesn’t change that as he’s slow, one-dimensional & he gums up the momentum of the lineup there. If you’re not comfortable w/Nunez up second, then flip him & Nix’s positions in the order so Nix hits 2nd & Nunez hits 7th. This is a balanced lineup that gives them the best chance of putting a couple of #’s — perhaps even crooked ones — up against Verlander.

IMO, the front office decision to bench A-Rod here is either panic, vindictiveness, or they know something we don’t that could impact the franchise in a negative way. The only excuse not to play him tonight would be the third option.

• TinoBambino24 says:

This is the Front Office all the way. I wonder if this is the beginning of the “end-game” for Alex and his tenure in pinstripes.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

How would this play out? Humiliate him by benching him and hope he retires and releases the team of the $114 million the team owes him?

• Winter says:

Nunez has played left field what, two times? Three? You really want that in the postseason?

• Mike HC says:

I like starting Gardner, although leading him off seems a little aggressive.

Either way, great defense and a good batting eye shouldn’t be diminished all the much even with the time off. And some bunting could be in order to.

• Carl LaFong says:

Gardner has never showed me he can bunt for a base hit. He hasn’t proven he can drag a bunt & beat it out because he really doesn’t know how to drag bunt, & w/Cabrera in every time Gardy comes up, he takes away the push bunt down the 3b line. Other than dribblers & bloops, does anyone really see Gardner squaring up a pitch? I don’t, & I like Gardner. He shouldn’t be playing here & certainly not leading off.

They’ve already sat A-Rod in the ALDS & made their point. He’s looked better w/the stick the first two games of this series & he’s hit Verlander well this season. You go w/your best lineup here & if it doesn’t work out, you tip your cap & make plans for 2013. Hitting Martin in the 6th slot is likewise egregious. The guy is an 8 or 9 hitter when he’s hitting. He’s just a human blockade in the middle of the order & his presence there tells me that Girardi isn’t even bothering to check out the #’s.

The one plus so far for me is that Tex has continues to actually hit the ball to the left-field side of 2b, flying out moderately deep to left-center field in his first a/b tonight & almost sneaking a ground-ball to the right of Peralta at ss in game 2 w/Ichiro on 2b. It hasn’t paid off yet, & may not w/this gawd-awful lineup, but it’s a good thing that may just pay off somewhere later in this game or series.

• RkyMtnYank says:

Nice that the Cashman haters come out since blaming everyone else has gotten old. A-rod sucks right now and should not be in the lineup and the front office has nothing to do with this decision. Sheesh, crazy!

34. Winter says:

Phil Hughes: 5.28 avg run support in games started. Don’t fail us now.

35. dkidd says:

LET’S GO!!!!!

36. AnthonyD says:

It’s gunna be one of those zones huh?

37. Mike HC says:

Outside pitches being called for strikes right from the get go … same old shit

38. Conor says:

I am surprised that Giradi didn’t start Alex at shortstop. He could have batted him second (he has hit some line drives and taken a decent number of pitches even if it seems he has no power anymore) and then moved Gardner into the number nine spot.

While I have no expectations anymore, I think the Yankees are completely capable of winning tonight and then the next three games.

• jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Jesus no. I would take my chances with Nunez at short stop every day, and twice on Sundays.

39. Winter says:

It’s fitting that the game starts with a bad strike call…

40. jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Wait…I’m honestly confused about A-Rod here. I could have sworn that everyone here was ripping him a new asshole for being so bad, but now him being benched is a crime? What am I missing here?

And please, don’t cite me his career numbers against Verlander. Completely irrelevant in this circumstance, in my opinion.

41. Mike N says:

Is there any hard evidence that A-Rod actually tried to pick up women in the stands during Game 1?

42. Winter says:

That’s not a good sign.

43. TinoBambino24 says:

95 MPH. He’s not even warmed up yet…

44. AnthonyD says:

I obviously don’t give a shit about Detroit, but it’s nice seeing fans around the infield instead of empty suits and seats.

• Mike HC says:

Agreed. Watching games in Camden Yards added far better amped up atmosphere than the suits at the stadium. Comerica is looking good too

• Mike N says:

The empty seats at Yankee Stadium were a disgrace.

• AnthonyD says:

I really think the empty seats in the Legends section sets a tone everywhere – not making excuses at all and don’t think it’s the only reason

• Mike HC says:

Definitely does. It sets the tone for everyone watching at home too who can’t believe the best seats in the house for a yankee playoff game are empty

• Mike N says:

They should bring people down there from the cheap seats at every game so they are full.

• David N says:

Part of it the fact that the new stadium just isn’t as loud as the old one and the atmosphere has gone all stuffy and corporate, but we are well on the way to becoming the next Braves fanbase.

Which I don’t like one bit.

• Mike HC says:

Please tell me we aren’t going to start tomahawk chopping during every big moment?!

• handtius says:

I agree about the field level seats, but I was at a few games up in the rafters this post season and it was loud and fun. The sound just doesn’t reach the field like it use to.

• AnthonyD says:

Yeah one of the problems is the sound doesn’t get trapped like with the old overhangs. Also, the new seats suck are REALLY far from the field (not to mention there’s a million obstructed views). My plan was in 311 this year and I couldn’t see the right field corner – note not listed as obstructed view of course.

45. Pat D (The "D" is for Depression...Manic Depression) says:

Jesus, Johnson just made that sound like it was the most important 1-2-3 inning of all time.

With that, I’m just not going to be able to watch this. I know I’m going to die whilst watching a Yankees or Giants game one of these days/years, and I’d rather it not be tonight.

Besides, I wasn’t watching when they did something decent in this series, so maybe I’m a bad luck charm anyway.

46. In regards to that Aaron Boone post…

Losing that World Series to an inferior Marlins team has really ruined that moment for me, in retrospect. That would probably be my favorite Yankee memory, ever, if the Yankees had won the World Series. As it is, I’m always left wondering “what could have been…”.

Of course, the Red Sox then doing that 3-0 shit the next year doesn’t help.

47. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I don’t think not starting Alex in this game is the be all, end all of this game or series. Just from what Chavez has showed me since about Mid August through the post season and Alex’s numbers against Verlander (career and this season) I would’ve started Alex and hit him exactly where Chavez is hitting in the line up. I’m not saying that I think Chavez is going to go 0-5 w/ 5ks while Alex would’ve gone 5-5 with 2 Homers, just that I think Alex sees the ball well against Verlander and should’ve been allowed to prove that he’s still got something. If you wanted to sit him in Game 2 against Sanchez, or even game 1 against Fister, I would’ve understood that, but I think you have to give him the nod against Verlander.

• Hummingbird S. says:

Alex has struggled mightily against RHPs and doesn’t seem to have the batspeed to catch up to Verlander’s FB. This is a great decision. The only type of pitcher Alex should start against is a soft tossing LH.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

He got around to at least foul off a couple of Sanchez’s 95mph fastballs up in the zone. I don’t think it’s bat speed as much as not seeing the ball well out of RHP’s hands, and with his career success against Verlander, at least in the past he’s proven that he sees the ball well against him.

• Cuso says:

Sanchez didn’t throw 95. He missed his 92 up in the zone because he knew it was coming and swung before the ball was out of Anibel’s hand.

48. TJF says:

OK here goes optimism,

36 Detroit hitting innings until the Yankee Sweep………

49. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

I want to blow donald trumps tupee off in public. He’s such a punk ass

50. handtius says:

anyone else think of the son of sam when they see that guy talking to his dog in that commercial?

51. Hummingbird S. says:

Umpiring screwing the Yankees.. the theme of the postseason

52. Mike HC says:

Umps have straight killed us this series

53. MattJasp says:

How was that slider down the middle not a strike?

54. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

that hits gotta hurt Girardi’s haemorrhoids.

55. AnthonyD says:

Ironically the best defender not listed as having a gold glove.

56. handtius says:

inning should be over… so annoying. where are the dag robots!

57. CountryClub says:

Hughes is usually 92-94 in the first. So far he’s been 90-92.

• Mike HC says:

Maybe trying extra hard to stay calm and not be over hyped ??? Don’t know? Or maybe his arm is tired after around 200 innings this year

• CountryClub says:

Yeah, the tired part is what I’m worried about. Don’t want to see him at 88-90 in the 5th.

58. TJF says:

OK here goes optimism,

35 Detroit hitting innings until the Yankee Sweep………

Hughes, Sabathia, Pettitte, Kuroda

Series win 4-2 Yanks!!!!

59. Hummingbird S. says:

it’s so nice to have OF D

60. jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Not pretty, but whatever. Just keep runs off the board, Phil.

61. Bartolo's Colon says:

don’t worry smoltz, i got it for you….that would been a homer in ys

62. At least there was no Delmon Young bullshit this time around.

63. Karl Krawfid says:

Runs please.

64. Cuso says:

Swisher would have jumped straight up then barrel-rolled and missed that ball by 10 feet

65. TrueBlue says:

Shaky start.. but getting out with the 0 was huge

66. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Am I the only one who is upset that according to the MSM what Alex is doing in the dug out in between innings or ABs is more important that the fact that I could induce a weak grounder to second by Cano?

67. TrueBlue says:

I wonder if Arod has pulled any pussy yet? Not sure what kind of talent is near the dugouts

68. Mick taylor says:

It’s really fascinating how Hughes had berry struck out on 3 pitches which were all strikes but the ump does not call it in order to allow berry another shot at swinging so he can get a hit which he does . God bless this ump crew who gave the 1st game to the tigers on the cano call. I meanthese tigers are solvable what with their drunk triple crown winner who beats his wife and drives drunk and their anti Semite piece of shit dh

69. Hummingbird S. says:

why must the ump give Verlander strikes off the plate? Why can’t we get a good ump?

70. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

ahah LOl, not much has changed since saturday.

71. Cy Pettitte says:

Peralta is “one of the best in the business”? lmfao.

72. AnthonyD says:

I know he’s dead and black, but is that Eric Gregg behind the plate?

73. El Tigre says:

Any praise I built up for Robbie has been erased in eight games. It’s as if he’s not even trying (I know that’s not the case).

74. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

I really hope Verlander doesn’t throw a perfecto.

75. John Smoltz says:

Lifesize model of Yankee Stadium!

76. Tom says:

Did Ernie Johnson really just call Peralta “the best in the business”

77. Dale Mohorcic says:

“Don’t worry Dave. I’ve seen plenty of guys choke.”

anyone else hear a double entendre in that Verlander fathead commercial?

78. awesomeo says:

Good thing they are clearing up A-rods sex life on national TV. I really wanted to get that cleared up, for my sake.

79. handtius says:

can’t believe they’re talking about this shit on the broadcast.

80. Kronk says:

Why is it when the Yankees are hitting well, everyone talks about how great a hitting coach Kevin Long is; But when they struggle as terribly as this, its never his fault. It seriously bothers me how much credit Long gets when the team goes through cold streaks like this.

81. flamingo says:

Nice AB by Ibanez.

82. Can’t get any lift against Verlander right now. Groundball central.

83. Bartolo's Colon says:

at least it was a pretty good ab. can we have nunie play ss for det instead, seems like a lot of balls are going there

84. Jarrod says:

Run his pitch count! Run his pitch count!!

Did I mention, RUN HIS PITCH COUNT!!

85. Bartolo's Colon says:

i hate the fucking game

86. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

john smolts has the biggest hard on right now. the only person “drooling over that fastball” is him.

• AnthonyD says:

Technically he was drooling over V’s change up – but yes I agree he’s a little out there right now.

• SammySosasBleachingCream says:

I think Smoltzie is wearing both the Trammell and Whitaker jerseys tonight. It’s cold enough, and they need his support.

87. Hummingbird S. says:

nice AB by Martin, as usual

88. Souter Fell says:

I love it when the media makes a story persist, and then says it looks like this story isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

89. CountryClub says:

I hope somebody gets a hit soon. I don’t want to even have to worry about them getting blanked.

90. Mikey says:

21 more for the perfect game

91. Athenian says:

Can’t decide if the odds are better than Cano will actually get a hit or the Yankees will get no hit as a team.

92. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Making him work.

93. Mike HC says:

Yanks benching ARod … all of a sudden story gets leaked to the post about ARod picking up chicks during the game (something that happens all the time)

It does seem a little fishy. Yanks might be trying to do something … What, I don’t know … Or, I’m just looking for conspiracies

• stuart a says:

does not usually happen in a playoff game, on national tv….

they would like arod to leave they are fools.. randy levine is a stooge and arod is a clown.

94. stuart a says:

martin was extremely patient on that ab that is what I liked most about it.

walking dead, this team is a joke…

cano has been g-d awful. he states he has hit the ball hard, time on the ball back to fister. it was not exactly a double off the wall.

berry was out on strike 3, verlander gets that call every time…

95. Dan says:

They need to start working the frickin count.

96. Freddy's Mom says:

Id like to see any Yankee flirt with a hit.

97. Anyone else noticing that the TBS camera angle from behind the plate is extremely far away from the action?

Or so it seems to me.

98. Hummingbird S. says:

Hughes would be awesome if he could throw a 2-seamer

99. handtius says:

i think hughes is looking pretty good. know it’s early, but….bullshit call right there!

100. awesomeo says:

Verlander is going to pound the strike zone. I’m sure they are just going to try and hit the pitch they think they can handle. He’s not gonna walk a bunch of guys.

101. AnthonyD says:

Squeeeeeezed

102. Chilango says:

Verlander gets the high strike but Hughes doesn’t

103. dkidd says:

it’s nice to be on the road

ys3 is kind of a bummer right now

104. TJF says:

34 Detroit hitting innings until the Yankee Sweep………

105. flamingo says:

Nice inning from Phil.

106. toad says:

Good inning for Hughes.

107. Bartolo's Colon says:

nice inning hughsie.

108. MattJasp says:

A lot of complaining about the lineup … What’s it really matter? Outside of Ibanez, nobody is really doing much. Should we hit Ibanez leadoff since he’s the only one getting on base? I understand Gardner hasn’t had any at bats, but the upside of him getting on + his speed is a shot worth taking at this point. You have to gamble somewhere

• AnthonyD says:

I love the Gardy move, not to mention he could steal hits w his defense.

• MattJasp says:

I like it too. I would have liked to seen A-Rod in the lineup but I understand it. Just don’t think it bodes well for the man’s confidence. He’s obviously here to stay, for awhile, play him. Just drop him in the lineup.

109. Tom says:

I love how Smoltz goes silent when a marginal pitch is called a ball for a Yankees pitcher and TBS doesn’t bother showing a replay or their fancy 3D strike sone shot.

Now if Verlander doesn’t get a call… it is dissected.

110. handtius says:

I’m liking this hughes kid so far. has real potential.

111. awesomeo says:

I remember watching them try to work walks against Cliff Lee when he was a Ranger. The guy walked something like 14 batters all season. Yeah, you aren’t going to get walked by some of these Aces. They just all got mowed down taking pitch after pitch.

112. TrueBlue says:

Cano is clearly too tight

113. Tom says:

“exasperates the issue”

John Smoltz should not be using word with more than 2 syllables/

“exacerbates” maybe?

114. AnthonyD says:

You hear that guys? Spending all that cash on these big ticket bench players

115. Electric nunez says:

Hate tbs really shitty coverage bias unprofessional and how many shots of arod are we going to see.

116. Bartolo's Colon says:

i love how they say most teams don’t have the luxury, not like chavez, jones, or ibanez is making a whole lot, anyone could of had them

117. Bartolo's Colon says:

great angle there for the swing and miss

118. CountryClub says:

At least he fouled one off

119. Mick taylor says:

I find it fascinating how much these umps favor the tigers the last 2 years in the playoffs like giving game 1 to them on the cano call and their strike zone tonite I guess they are just so lovable with triple crown winner drunk who beats his wife and drives drunk and their anti Semitic dh fat slov
    E 1

• Tom says:

You mean the player the Tigers nominated for the Roberto Clemente award? (an award for on and off the field performance)

120. Athenian says:

Who has Granderson striking out?

121. dkidd says:

there was an encouraging take by curtis that at-bat

#babysteps

• Hummingbird S. says:

Which he followed up by swing through a pitch right down the middle. He’s legally blind.

122. Hummingbird S. says:

Granderson has to be legally blind. He whiffed on a pitch right down the middle. And obviously also swung at a pitch 3 feet off the plate

123. Bartolo's Colon says:

can we make up a phantom injury for grandy and bring up c-dick, this is sad

124. Mick taylor says:

I find it fascinating how much these umps favor the tigers the last 2 years in the playoffs like giving game 1 to them on the cano call and their strike zone tonite I guess they are just so lovable with triple crown winner drunk who beats his wife and drives drunk and their anti Semitic dh fat slob
    E 1

• SammySosasBleachingCream says:

The umps have been terrible, but it’s the Yankees who are “giving” the game to the Tigers.

125. Kronk says:

Can we just start Granderson off with 2 strikes? Save some time.

126. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

That’s weird that Curtis swung at a pitch that wasn’t a strike.

127. Widget says:

Granderson should not be playing.

• SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Unfortunately they don’t have enough players to bench everyone who isn’t hitting.

128. Bartolo's Colon says:

i would say this is going to be a long night, but seems it will actually be a short night. please wake up nyy

129. Karl Krawfid says:

Seems like for the past 2 months the Yankees are not hit for the first 3 innings every game.

130. Mikey says:

18 to go for the perfect game

131. dkidd says:

some how, some way, nunez will have a deciding impact on this game

132. botz says:

I’m hoping for a Hughes shutout and then we go to the bullpens for extras. It’s our only hope at this point.

133. Chilango says:

Verlander doesn’t even bother throwing offspeed stuff to Curly Kranderson, just blows the fastball by him.

134. Athenian says:

Well at least they are putting up a fight.

135. jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Heh. Orville Redenbacher commercial. My frat’s most famous alumni! I suppose that’s not much to brag about though :P

136. Hummingbird S. says:

Swisher blows in the playoffs, we all know that. But even that version of Swisher is WAY better than Granderson.

137. handtius says:

did he just say he smoked one to left?

138. CountryClub says:

Man, reading some of these comments, I just realized we’re a shell shocked fan base, haha.

Keep it up, Phil!

139. Complaining about temps is stupid.

36, 50, whatever. I would love those. Hell, I like the fact that I can now walk outside at 7:00 and not get sweaty. God bless the autumn and winter months.

• jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Yo, +10000

I’m a very warm person. Probably why I went to school in Vermont. I love how everyone here in DC is like “ZOMG it’s cold out!!” While wearing jackets.

No…it’s not cold. If the temperature is in the positives, it’s not cold :D

140. dkidd says:

i hate the dirt strip between home and the mound

141. Electric nunez says:

This is why i wanted dickerson over eppley for the final spot. Dickerson could play center when curtis starts tanking.

142. dkidd says:

a-jax is learning to control the strike zone

143. Hummingbird S. says:

hitters don’t even flinch at Phil’s curve or changeup.. that’s a problem

144. Lily says:

dive for the damn balll!!

145. Alkaline (Retro Phil) says:

Just got in. I’m not sure how long I’ll be keeping up on here. But, how is everyone doing?

Stay positive. Be thankful it’s October 16th and we’re still watching baseball. All I have in my head are the scenes at the end of the Waterboy with the announcers saying you can’t hold anything back!

• jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Waaaaaaater sucks. It really, really suck!

I’m doing well, thank you :D I am holding on to my optimism.

146. Mike HC says:

Bring the outfield in here! One run could end it!

147. Winter says:

We may not have the offense that Detroit has any offense, but I don’t see Cabrera and Fielder making that play on the bunt.

• MattJasp says:

Agreed … Which is why I said earlier, they should really try some bunt base hits to test it out

148. Hummingbird S. says:

there’s no way you can justify pitching to Cabrera here. You have to pitch around him

149. Winter says:

Why is Cabrera getting anything close to the zone here?

150. handtius says:

you can’t hit it into the ivy. that’s why you don’t defend against it.

151. awesomeo says:

Just throw him outside low junk. Walk him if you have to.

152. Bartolo's Colon says:

this scares me

153. Chilango says:

Walk Miggy?

154. awesomeo says:

oh god just walk him now.

155. Electric nunez says:

Hey Cash
    Along with the new outfield next year can we have a real catcher too.

156. Bartolo's Colon says:

i don’t like this plan going after miggy

157. Karl Krawfid says:

Throw something else besides a fucking fastball jesus christ.

158. dkidd says:

im just hoping he hits it hard at someone

159. Winter says:

Every time Hughes is anywhere close to the zone Cabrera’s all over it.

160. David N says:

I am completely fine with a walk to Cabrera here.

161. Hummingbird S. says:

facing the best hitter on the planet, you’re throwing him nothing but FBs on the plate?

162. Mikey says:

Here it comes

163. Mike HC says:

I might pitch around Fielder too here … take my chances with righty on righty Delmon Young

164. Even if it’s Miggy, I still hate the 0-2 to walk sequences.

Just gotta finish those. Prince Fielder isn’t exactly an easy out.

165. awesomeo says:

Jesus I hope his confidence isn’t destroyed now…

166. AnthonyD says:

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezed

167. Karl Krawfid says:

It’s over folks.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Yep, the inning is.

• jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Seriously. Can the doom and gloomers at least wait until the Yankees are actually losing? TIE GAME, IT’S TEH OVERZZ!!

168. Mike HC says:

Hughes doesn’t get the inside corner or the outside corner

169. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

This strikezone is infuriating. If I was Hughes I’d be livid.

170. Hummingbird S. says:

can’t even hit 91 anymore but keeps throwing FBs.. amazingly stupid

171. Bartolo's Colon says:

hey, we are getting some good luck, woo!

172. AnthonyD says:

Jeez.

173. Fielder bails Hughes out.

Make that mean something.

174. Mike HC says:

Sweet! Lets capitalize now!

175. Karl Krawfid says:

Wow stupid 3-0 swing.

STUPID for the Tigers.

176. TJF says:

33 Detroit hitting innings until the Yankee Sweep………

See that Bronco Game last night, 24 straight points followed by 35 straight points

177. dkidd says:

not your night, tigers

178. flamingo says:

#RISPfail

179. MattJasp says:

Both those fastballs to Fielder are being called for Verlander. Regardless, happy to get out of that inning. Hopefully Hughes starts getting some of those calls.

180. Jarrod says:

Prince misses out on a fat 3-0 offering….maybe it is our night!!

181. Athenian says:

If I was Hughes I would go into the dugout and call out my team… Quit being a bunch of pussies and hit the fucking ball.

182. jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

*breathes*

183. Smoltzisaschmuck says:

what’s worse? hughes pitching his heart our and lose 1-0 in 9th or late or Hughes gets bombed in the next few innings and lose 8-0?

• Kronk says:

Losing 1-0. If it was 8-0 I can come to terms with the loss sooner and move on with my life. 1-0 I’ll sit here all night stressed out thinking “okay THIS is going to be the inning where the team collectively remembers how to hit again”.

• jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Um, the latter? Why would Hughes pitching a gem be worse than Hughes getting bombed, if the offense scores 0 runs in both scenarios? This is a no brainer.

184. Mikey says:

Happy to be wrong. Honestly, thought the game winner was coming right there

185. awesomeo says:

I feel like the guy that was spared being shot by Brad Pitt in Fight Club after that inning.

186. Frank says:

It’s so painfully obvious Hughes has no put away pitch. His secondary pitches are mediocre at best. It’s just a matter of time.

187. awesomeo says:

Get on base little guy. Set the tone.

188. Mike HC says:

hahah … why not call that strike

189. JMK says:

This strike zone is insane.

190. Hummingbird S. says:

THAT WAS A STRIKE??

191. Bo Knows says:

How the hell was that a strike?

192. Cuso says:

My God. A foot off the plate. STRIKE!

193. Chilango says:

Why is Verlander getting a wide-ass zone and they’re squeezing Hughes. It’s blatant.

194. Nice Scheister says:

Awful ump is awful.

195. Hummingbird S. says:

seriously, just hand the bat to the umpire… he clearly doesn’t want them to hit

196. Bartolo's Colon says:

can’t wait to see that strike zone plot after the game that i have no idea how to decipher

197. Electric nunez says:

Players on the trading block this winter
    Hughes,nova,phelps,granderson,gardner,nunez,joba, clean house.

198. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

quit swinging at ball 4 gardy

199. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

ZOMG a 7 pitch AB by a non-Ibanez hitter?!

200. Bartolo's Colon says:

why does he keep swinging at balls?

201. Brett has now swung at ball four, three separate times in this AB.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

With a normal strikezone, yeah probably, but with the zone tonight and this entire post season…I’m not so sure.

202. Widget says:

Verlander, while awesome, seems to get a very generous strike zone no matter who he pitches against.

203. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Eric Gregg!?

204. Mike HC says:

How many tough at bats do we need to get Verlander to his 150 pitch limit?

205. Bartolo's Colon says:

that was weak

206. awesomeo says:

;(

207. TrueBlue says:

the fact that he swung at ball 4 three times makes that a shit AB

208. handtius says:

hell of an at bat by gritster.

209. THE Experience says:

HIT!!!

210. Cy Pettitte says:

at least they aren’t going to get no hit

211. Bartolo's Colon says:

ruined the no hitter! we automatically win!

212. First base runner of the night.

Only took ’till the 11th batter.

213. Mike HC says:

here we go

214. AnthonyD says:

Fuck yo couch Verlander

215. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Yay Ichiro!!! Now: STEAL! Like immediately.

216. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

no hitter gone! perfect game gone!

217. Hummingbird S. says:

a HIT!!!

218. dkidd says:

perfect game over!
    no-hitter over!

Tttthhhhheeeeeeee Yankees have a base runner!!!!!

219. RAB Poster says:

LOL BRIDGE JUMPERS!!!

We got a hit! I TOLD YOU!!!! LOL suck that fools we got a hit!!!!

220. Bartolo's Colon says:

hit past the greatest ss ever, surprised he didn’t get to that

221. Chilango says:

Run Ichi

222. Mikey says:

Yay!! We’re not getting no-hit!!!

223. Athenian says:

Base hit! Game over! Woo hoo Yankeeeeeees win!

224. Cy Pettitte says:

do the Damon, Ichiro. get to third.

225. handtius says:

both of those were strikes against gardner.

226. Hummingbird S. says:

Ichiro needs to go right now

227. Teixeira is just so freaking bad these days.

228. Mike HC says:

It looked like Cabrera was running in slo mo

229. handtius says:

whyis ich still on 1st?

230. CountryClub says:

Can cano hit a freaking hr, please?

231. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

He HAS TO be running here!

232. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

i just caught a glimpse of swisher, in an awkward position flailing his arms around…. at least we got a team JESTER

233. Mike HC says:

Time for Cano to come through … I’m feeling it (I think)

234. Bartolo's Colon says:

he’s not too much in the zone here, need to get to him now

235. Defensive Indifference says:

Canope.

236. Mister D says:

I’m sure people will bitch about Cano getting out again, but I love the ball on the other side of the mound. Big deal. He doubles next time up to bring the Yankees within 6.

• Mike HC says:

When two groundouts to short is encouraging, you know things are going bad. He breaks his own record with every at bat

237. Hummingbird S. says:

pathetic job by Ichiro staying at first… this team is brain dead

238. Karl Krawfid says:

All Tex had to do was fucking bunt.

239. DT says:

Bench Cano. ARod has a better chance of getting a hit.

240. Bartolo's Colon says:

or not. seriously is there anyone in the history of the postseason who has done worse than cano this year?

• Lee D says:

Well, it’s a single playoffs record can0-28, so, no.

• Smoltzisaschmuck says:

He set the record for a hitless streak. I guess it depends on how you’re asking the question and/or counting though. Even some of other folks with the hitless streaks may have stilled had some other numbers before or after them.

241. Athenian says:

Good job Robbie. You are taking suck to a new level.

242. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

2 things: Robbie, take a strike. I understand It’s Verlander but he’s falling behind everybody right now. Ichiro, you’re one of the fastest guys I’ve ever seen play baseball, FUCKING RUN!

• jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

I thought Ichiro might have had a shot to pull a 2009 Damon move. He needed to steal there.

243. Mikey says:

Good to see nothing’s changed

244. Smoltzisaschmuck says:

we’re in his head now! he gave up a hit!

245. Tom says:

Ichiro had to run there with 1 out. Is Girardi really waiting for the Yankees to string 3 hits together against a guy as good as Verlander?

While I’m sure Ichiro has the greenlight, that should be a situation where he’s given a steal sign.

246. your mom says:

This team: DOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!

247. Electric nunez says:

Is anyone else watching the game on Mute?

248. Bo Knows says:

that would have been a strike if it was Verlander

249. Bartolo's Colon says:

game

250. Hummingbird S. says:

fuck those umpires..

251. Karl Krawfid says:

It’s OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

252. Why the fuck can the Yankees not keep Delmon Young in the ballpark?

253. Mike HC says:

I think it is safe to say that Hughes velocity is down … Hope this doesn’t have an effect on next season.

And as I write this he gives up a homer … not good

254. Bo Knows says:

I am so sick of Delmon f’n Young

255. awesomeo says:

We need a delmon young.

256. TrueBlue says:

how you continually let Delmon Young beat you is mind boggling

257. Electric nunez says:

Jesus phil nice pitch.

258. Mike HC says:

Well, we couldn’t win without scoring anyway … Still have hope! ?

259. Hummingbird S. says:

it’s hard to watch games knowing you have to face the other team and the umps..

260. Bartolo's Colon says:

start warming the pen

261. Tom says:

0-2 is a lot different than 1-2.

Good call blue on the 0-1 pitch right down the middle

• Karl Krawfid says:

Hanging slider down the middle. Give credit where credit is due. Every player on the planet hits that pitch except the ones in a Yankee uniform.

262. Athenian says:

Well game over. But hey at least they didn’t get no hit. Positive step for what will be the same team next year.

263. MattJasp says:

Can Hughes get some calls? This is ridiculous

264. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

thats right call the fucking bullpen.

265. That was an awful sequence to Dirks.

If Hughes loses his grip on this game, it’s good as done. I fear with this shitty offense, it’s done as is.

266. flamingo says:

Did he just walk… Andy Dirks? Keep it together, Hughes.

267. Johnny B says:

Hughes looks like a guy who has to work really hard to hit 90.

268. awesomeo says:

He can’t locate his pitches.

269. Mike HC says:

Hughes dip in velocity is actually pretty discouraging, even though he has been solid tonight.

270. Matt says:

Pathetic strike zone. Even more pathetic offense.

If you can’t beat Verlander… let him pitch the entire game by swinging at the first or second pitch every time up.

Hughes in love with his slider, when all he would have to do is throw 1 slow curve to get them off of both pitches. A hanging curve at 75 might get a swing and a miss. A hanging slider is a BP fastball.

• Mike N says:

Dude, where do you get this fucking delusion that if only the pitchers and batters would do what you think they should do then the Yankees would win every game easy peasy? This gibberish is really annoying and stupid. Your reminiscenses of your experiences in fucking little league are not really relevant to major league baseball.

271. Mike N says:

Oh, fuck.

272. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

codey eppley up…. so the white flag is up.

273. That’s just lovely.

Things literally couldn’t be going any worse for this ballclub right now.

274. Hummingbird S. says:

Eppley coming in why? Waving the white flag I guess

275. Anthony says:

What…

276. Bartolo's Colon says:

just not our year. amazing that they made it is far as they did

277. awesomeo says:

Hip! Hip! JORGE!

278. CountryClub says:

I told you something was odd when I saw his velocity in the first. Now you have to worry about next yr too.

279. TrueBlue says:

Wow. unfuckingreal

280. Cy Pettitte says:

Phil:(

281. David N says:

Oh YHGTBSM.

282. Hans Moleman says:

Phil is hurt and instead of showing his last pitch that he hurt himself on they show his 1-2 meatball to Young

283. Electric nunez says:

Phil hughes would be a Ace in san diego.

284. Pete says:

Well, some of you got your wish. He’s out. Let the fun begin.

285. Captain Gift Basket says:

As usual, great scouting by the Yanks. Glad to see that they finally figured that Young is a hacker.

286. awesomeo says:

We are winning this damn game! Win it for me Yankees. Do it for me Yanks.

287. flamingo says:

…What is going on?

Trying to follow the debate and this game is not working too well.

288. Bartolo's Colon says:

on the bright side, nova will be ready in the pen in game 4

289. Chas131 says:

Feels like 10 runs.

290. Kronk says:

Well, the Gods hate the Yankees this postseason.

Team can’t hit
    Jeter breaks an ankle.
    Joba gets smacked by a bat.
    now Hughes out w/ injury.

-sigh-

291. Defensive Indifference says:

If Phelps really has as long as he wants to warm up, he should keep tossing warm ups until tomorrow and then just give way to CC.

292. Defensive Indifference says:

293. Electric nunez says:

Phelps will get lit up too.
    Can we get RA Dickey from the Mets next year.

294. Matt says:

Next season we just need to sign guys that throw bats at umps and drunks instead of guys that flirt with girls behind the dugout.

295. dkidd says:

david phelps getting the baptism by fire

296. Hummingbird S. says:

I wonder where Phelps is.. he is the easy and obvious choice in this situation. Obvious if you have a brain.

297. pistol pete says:

Hughes is a pussy, he always comes up small in big games, I don’t know what happened to him but he never seems to rise to the occasion. All that said not starting ARod tonight is absurd. Swisher is one thing and he’s gone next year anyway but not ARod. You sink or swim with him, they’re stuck with him for five more years at 28m per year and you can’t leave him on the bench.

298. Mike HC says:

Smarter announcers who have watched a couple Yankees games this year would have realized Hughes velocity has been down all game … not surprised these Yankee haters don’t have a clue though

299. Psy says:

Open Gangnam Style!

300. Bo Knows says:

they think it’s a back injury….shit that’s not good

• Electric nunez says:

Better than shoulder or elbow

-jose pineda

• Bo Knows says:

Back issues can be even bigger bastards, and if they are bad enough to require surgery, even with it, those issues don’t go away and can flare up at any time.

recent cases being Roy Oswalt, and Dan Haren

301. Mike N says:

I am really glad Phelps came in and not Eppley.

302. jjyank (Phil Phucking Hugheslladay) says:

Damn it. I hope Phelps can turn in a 2007 Phil Hughes relief appearance here.

303. sangreal says:

warm up Lowe

304. Mikey says:

It’s over. We’re so going down in this game.

• Mike HC says:

Our pen is pretty strong … not sure Hughes going out makes a huge difference for this game … that one run might be a huge difference though

305. Chilango says:

Get Swisher up.

306. DZ says:

Great… in the off chance that the yankees come back and force game 7, and win the world series, how crazy is it gonna be. That would be the most insane run in postseason history by far.

• Mike HC says:

Even better if we could lose this game, and come back from down 0-3 to even things up from ’04

307. Tom says:

1 out in the inning and Smoltz is analyzing the impact of the delay on Verlander next inning.

Just ridiculous.

308. MacDaddyAlex call me, maybe? says:

maybe just maybe the downtime fucks verlander up somehow….

309. Electric nunez says:

Hey a RF with an arm wow.

310. Bartolo's Colon says:

great job by phelps, im surprised

311. Hummingbird S. says:

nice escape Phelps

312. Bartolo's Colon says:

and fucking nunie with the throw!

313. Could’ve been worse for Phelps. Time for this dead offense to try and muster up something, anything.

314. CountryClub says:

Very happy Nunez didn’t have to throw to first.

315. awesomeo says:

David Phelps will pitch the greatest game in the history of the universe.

316. Electric nunez says:

Heart in throat now phelps on nunez will get chances…not good.