Jan

Rule changes tentatively approved for 2013

Geez, that wasn’t even a good move Brett.

Three notable rule changes were approved at last week’s owners’ meetings, and they must now being given the okay by the players’ union before they can be officially implemented this coming season. That isn’t expected to be much of an issue. Here’s the skinny on the changes, courtesy of Jayson Stark

• The Jeff Nelson move, as Michael Kay calls it, will now be considered a balk. That’s the ol’ fake-to-third, throw-to-first move. A handful of players fall for it each year. MLB can actually implement this without the union’s approval, but they’ll run it by the players for the sake of labor relations peace.
  • Coaches and managers will now be allowed to bring interpreters to the mound. That’s a pretty big deal and not just for the Hiroki Kuroda‘s and Hyun-Jin Ryu’s of the pitching world. There’s an awful lot of young Latin American-born pitchers who have yet to fully grasp the English language out there. Heck, I still haven’t grasped it.
  • Teams can now have a seventh coach in uniform and in the dugout during games. They had been limited to six before. A number of teams are carrying second hitting coaches these days — the Yankees haven’t added one yet — and this accommodates them.
Categories : News

1. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I was hoping that MLB eliminated the position of catcher thereby giving the Yankees one less hole to fill. They could replace the player with one of those bounce back pitching nets.

• Rey22 says:

I bet you stick a bat in one of those nets and it puts up a better offensive season than Stewart/Cervelli will.

• Vern Sneaker says:

Doesn’t matter as long as they catch and throw, Jeter’s okay, and we get another right-handed bat (Morse!). We’ll score enough runs — will the pitching hold up is what ‘s worrying me though it looks pretty decent going in.

• Vern Sneaker says:

Doesn’t matter as long as they catch and throw, Jeter’s okay, and we get another right-handed bat (Morse!). We’ll score enough runs. Will the pitching hold up is what ‘s worrying me though it looks pretty decent going in.

• Steve S says:

To be fair, bounce back nets are the new market inefficiency.

2. Highland Cow says:

I officially have no reason to watch the YES Network in 2013.

3. trr says:

hated that “jeff nelson” move anyway

4. forensic says:

The interpreter should help those mound visits drag out even longer than they already do.

5. Robinson Tilapia says:

Is there an online application for the “coach alternate” position? I’d like to submit my resume.

A bit silly to ban the Jeff Nelson move. I’ve always liked little trickery like that.

6. Alex Rodriguez says:

Can they make the rules easier so I can hit better?

7. RetroRob says:

The move is clearly meant to deceive. Have no idea why it was never considered a balk.

I wonder how many pitchers will accidentally do the move, forgetting it’s now banned? Creatures of habit.

8. Jamey says:

The less grey area between pick-off move & balk the better.

9. WhittakerWalt says:

Steve Trachsel retired just in time.

10. Chelo says:

I apply for the Yankees Second Designated hitting coach job, in December lol, Im praying my little league coaching experience plays up in the show lol

11. jim p says:

So, the rare fake-to-first, throw-to-third move is still allowed then?

12. MB923 says:

That looks like it’s a balk anyway in the GIF there. (And I mean based on the old rules too when the Jeff Nelson move wasn’t a balk).

13. Nickel says:

The banning of the “Jeff Nelson” move has me curious. How are they wording it exactly? As the rule stands now, at least as I always remembered it, (and someone correct me if I’m wrong) is that, from the set position, you can fake a throw to any base except 1st. Once you fake a throw and your foot is off the rubber, you can pretty much throw wherever you want. Can you just not fake a throw to third now? If that part is still legal, are they saying that if there’s a runner on first and he strays farther from the base, you can’t make an effort to pick him off? Can you only run at him? If he’s way off the base and you run at him, how long does it take before you can throw the ball somewhere?

At the major league level, stuff like this almost never happens anyway, but I figure the rules have to account for it somehow.

14. Alex H says:

I think getting rid of this move is meaningless because it has been a part of the game for so long. Also, if they are getting rid of it to speed up the game then it will not speed it up much at all. This move is used one or two times a game at the most. Another thing is pitchers might do this move forgeting it was banned and be called for a balk. I realize the move only works every once in awhile but getting rid of it is useless.