Mar

Dominican Republic wins 2013 WBC, Cano named MVP

The Dominican Republic beat Puerto Rico to win the 2013 World Baseball Classic tonight, going a perfect 8-0 in the tournament. They’re the first team to go undefeated in the event.

Robinson Cano was named MVP of the WBC after going 15-for-32 (.469) with four doubles and two homers in the eight games. He’ll rejoin the Yankees in the next day or two for the rest of Spring Training. Congrats to him and his fellow countrymen. They completely dominated the tournament.

Categories : Asides

1. Jim Cavanaugh says:

If Cano can stay hot like that coming off the WBC and kick ass this season, i can stomach the Teixeira loss.

2. forensic says:

Just don’t bring the ‘claw’ and ‘antlers’ with him when he gets back…

3. Brian says:

So when is the other shoe going to drop with Cano and PEDs….

We don’t really care, but we know he did it and we know it played a role in ‘nothing prospect’ to ‘top 5 player in baseball’

• Dan in Athens says:

He’s only been producing for a half a decade clean.

My bigger concern is that winning this farce seemed more important to him then the real goal fo winning the Series. Guess the MVP lit Boras up… Enjoy LA.

• Jay says:

Seriously, I can’t believe this was more important than winning spring training for the team

• forensic says:

I’m guessing his comment has nothing to do with ST but more when Cano was asked that very question about a WBC title vs. a WS title and he paused for a bit and eventually settled to say they were about the same.

I get the whole culture and everything, but even pausing and equalizing them is even a little questionable to me. I know money isn’t everything, and he’s already made over $40 million in his career, but the Yankees are paying him $15 million this year while he of course he got nothing for the WBC. Beyond that, the WBC is less than 10 games (I think) vs. the WS which is nearly a 200 game journey.

So, I guess I understand where he’s coming from, but I certainly don’t agree with it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I consider it a parallel to how some people think about soccer? For how many players is a lifelong dream, not to score a goal for Manchester United or whatnot, but for England?

Now soccer is soccer and baseball is baseball, but if Robbie already puts the WBC on that level, who am I to argue with him as to what he should think.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Think of it as the Olympics. There are many athletes that dream of winning Gold for their country. Not saying it’s right or wrong in this situation, but I can somewhat understand. He’s won a WS and I’m sure he wants more. This is just something different that obviously means a lot to him, allowing him to give just a little something back to his country in return for what he has been able to achieve professionally.

• BeanTooth says:

There’s some top-notch trolling on this thread. Cano is a lazy, no-good, juicer who cares more about his stupid country than the Yankees.

• Arod's Hip says:

You are very disrespectful, I hope you realize how dumb and idiotic you sound. Don’t you care about your country more than the Yankees?. I bet you that if he was doing what he did for the U.S. team you would have been licking his balls.

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

Wait, how do we know he did it? Are we going off the words of that sketchy website that reported it a month ago?

• jjyank says:

Nothing like starting my day with baseless accusations…

4. EndlessMIke says:

If only Cano hit like that in the ALCS we would have been in the world series.Just hope Cano has a big season because the new look yankees is scary.

5. johnnybk says:

I bet he wins AL MVP this year. Just got a feeling.

Get outta here with that PED shit

• MB923 says:

Well it is definitely possible. Who knows anymore. But he is a douchebag and an idiot if he does it in a contract year when he will probably get at the very minimum, $150 million.

6. LarryM., Fl. says:

I watched little of the WBC. To me it is just international baseball which has no appropriate time for the best players in the world to compete. The USA team which should dominate this tournament is limited to many players who are not on the top rung of players.

7. Robinson Tilapia says:

Very proud of my Caribbean brothers tonight. Watched some of the game which was, honestly, the first WBC I’d watched all year. Loved what I saw. Loved the different feel of the game. I agree with Larry in that I’m not quite sure how you EVER make this work at an ideal time, but it is what it is. It was a win-win watching those two teams, for me, last night.

As for the arrows and all that, what honestly does seem obnoxious during the MLB season was amusing during this tournament. I guess I just don’t like to see it done against the Yankees.

8. trr says:

Keep it rollin’ in the regular season, Robby, you may have to carry the whole team…but hey. no pressure

9. Matt DiBari says:

Yeah that’s great. Now that this ridiculous tournament is over, lets get moving on real baseball.

10. mt says:

I am an avid baseball fan but WBC just doesn’t do it for me – think they should do a shorter, at most 6 game tournmanet (playing games like they do now just for seeding is a waste, for example) that would be held after World Series (only downside would be some of playoff teams would not be able to send anyone but it still would be better than this). It would be like Pro Bowl where the Super Bowl contenders have to drop out. I can’t get excited when Derek holland and Vogelsong are the best we can do. Also pitch limits and the rest are annoying (but of course absolutely necessary given the current timing of the tournament.)

The Yankees have been so negative recently that even with Cano’s great performance I can’t help but remembering end of last season when Cano hit .615 in last 2 weeks of season and then proceeded to be ice cold in playoffs – Yanks cannot afford an icy start for Cano this April – hopefully he can continue on his WBC play.

11. Captain says:

lot of non-fun loving baseball fans in here. or just American baseball fans, one in the same.

12. CashmanNinja says:

I truly feel that this “tournament” is pointless. The country who wins gets all this hype about being so good, but in reality…who played? Were the best players in baseball playing in the tournament? Nope. There were some big name players like Stanton, Wright, Adam Jones, etc. But when your team also has guys like Willie Bloomquist, Mitchell Boggs, Vinnie Pestano, Jeremy Affeldt, etc…it really shows how the best players weren’t there. There weren’t many big name pitchers. Verlander, Strasburg, Kershaw, etc. were with their teams in spring training.

- R.A. Dickey
    - Gio Gonzalez
    - Derek Holland
    - Ryan Vogelsong
    - David Hernandez
    - Ross Detwiler
    - Vinnie Pestano
    - etc.

The best players didn’t play because they’re with their teams and didn’t want to risk injury. Therefore the best team didn’t truly win because the other teams were all watered down. I just can’t get into a tournament that doesn’t have the best players playing and then deal with people acting like it was the greatest achievement of all time. And these guys who are paid 10′s of millions of dollars to play a damn game and then act like this little league equivalent of tournament is more important than a World Series…screw that.

13. new guy says:

Wow people on here are cynical. They played great baseball, and I feel like the tournament does a good job at displaying the game on a world stage. The Dominican Team won based on really good talent and awesome energy. So if they want to shoot an arrow into the sky, who cares? They were in the duggout singing and dancing in the rain the whole game, that’s just the type of personality the players have. It was nice to see grown men who are usually so serious let loose and have fun while still playing awesome baseball.

• CashmanNinja says:

I didn’t see many people say that they didn’t play WELL. It’s just that they played well against lesser teams. The DR team was stacked with MLB players. Team USA didn’t have many big names at all. Even the prospects that made the team weren’t very good. I just don’t think the best team won because the best team wasn’t even on any roster. It would be more entertaining if they actually had a real competition, but from the start everyone knew it would be the DR and Puerto Rico.

• new guy says:

What do you mean? I agree the BEST possible USA team didn’t play, but to say USA didnt have many big names is crazy. Wright, Rollins, Phillips, Stanton, Jones, Mauer, Gio, Dickey (Cy Young last Year)and im sure I am misssing some.

• new guy says:

- Justin Verlander
          - David Price
          - Matt Cain
          - Cole Hamels
          - Stephen Strasburg
          - etc, etc, etc.

The best American players just weren’t there.

• Vern Sneaker says:

The WBC is okay, but it ain’t the Show and never will be. RAB people not cynical, simply call it like they see it, VERY baseball savvy. No prisoners taken.

Would Texeira be hurt if he’d stayed in camp? Who knows, but it annoys me he went.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There’s lots of words I’d use for what I see going on in this thread. “Savvy” is definitely on the bottom of that list.

14. Eddard says:

Robbie is in a contract year. He will have a big season and this Yankee team will be better than people expect.

15. Bill the Rat says:

In other news…no one cares. BRING ON BASEBALL IN THE BRONX!

16. BeanTooth says:

Would’ve been nice to see some of it. But as I don’t have MLB network, it will remain an oddity to me. And yes, Cano is going to absolutely mash this year. Now get him in bubble wrap until the season begins.

17. [...] off his MVP-winning performance with the World Baseball Classic champion Dominican Republic, Robinson Cano is back in Yankees camp [...]

18. [...] leading the Dominican Republic to the championship and winning the MVP award of the World Baseball Classic, Cano had expectations of a big season to live up [...]