Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Vernon arrives

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

After a few days of waiting, Vernon Wells is officially a Yankee and will play against the Astros tonight. He was issued #56 — that will change before the start of the season since bench coach Tony Pena has worn that number for seven years now — and is playing left field and batting sixth. In fact, tonight’s lineup sure looks like the Opening Day lineup* if you ask me. Here’s the starting nine…

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. 3B Kevin Youkilis
  5. DH Travis Hafner
  6. LF Vernon Wells
  7. 1B Juan Rivera
  8. SS Eduardo Nunez
  9. Chris Stewart

And on the mound is the 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner, left-hander CC Sabathia. Here are the second string courtesy of Chad Jennings:

Available Pitchers: RHP Mariano Rivera, RHP David Robertson, RHP Joba Chamberlain, RHP Jim Miller, and LHP Vidal Nuno are all available. I’m guessing Nuno will be used in a traditional LOOGY spot — middle of an inning, lefty batter, maybe some runners on-base — as the team evaluates him as a potential Clay Rapada replacement.

Available Position Players: C Bobby Wilson, 1B Luke Murton, 2B Gil Velazquez, SS Jayson Nix, 3B Ronnie Mustelier, LF Ben Francisco, CF Melky Mesa, and RF Thomas Neal will all come off the bench.

Tonight’s game is scheduled to begin at 7:05pm ET and can be seen on YES and MLB.tv (no local blackout). Enjoy.

* Yes, they’re facing left-hander Jon Lester on Opening Day, but you get the point.

1. Stratman9652 says:

I wonder if by the time they have signed and made moves for all the scrapheap OF/1B types they have tried it would have actually been cheaper just to sign Swish. It certainly would have been easier.

2. Eddard says:

I hope Joe moves Eduardo Nuney up to the 2 hole, especially against left handers. He could thrive in that spot ahead of Robbie. He’ll probably thrive anyway.

3. hogsmog says:

By my bullshitting-around-on-br count, this is might be the first time since 1949 the Yankees will field a team without a switch hitter on the 25 man.

4. Mike HC says:

Anybody think that CC might be down a tick or two on his fastball this year? Or will he be fine in a month or so?

• The Big City of Dreams says:

He should be fine in a month or so. Hopefully this isn’t a case of his velocity being down and then later they find out he has an issue we have been here before. ie Hughes, Joba, Burnett, Pineda

• Mike HC says:

I think he was down a bit last year. Hopefully he doesn’t take another step back this year. He is still rounding into form though, so I’m not going to make any hard conclusions quite yet. And even if he does take a step back, he can prob still be quite good, if not just as effective.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Good point about him rounding into shape. This is his what 2-3 start. CC knows how to pitch even if he takes a step back and has been making adjustments over the past couple of seasons.

• Mike Axisa says:

It’s also an ST gun. There’s no PitchFX at GMS Field, which the YES gun is usually sync’d too.

5. Murderers' Row Boat says:

Justin Maxwell > Chris Dickerson.

Also, Carter will be a beast in that park.

6. Looks at lineup…

(throws up)

Looks at lineup again…

Rubs eyes just to make sure what I am looking at is real.

Oh well…. Go Yankees!

7. Michelle Axisa says:

Can you imagine what you would have said if somebody in April of 2012 told you this would be the Opening Day 2013 lineup? I would have queefed like a school girl.

8. oldmanalex says:

couple of quick observations:
    1. The Astros are hitting the ball pretty hard off CC
    2. This might be really early too tell: Vernon Wells doesn’t look completely washed up, he made some decent contact. I think he’s a genuinely nice guy and is happy to be playing everyday. Maybe the pressure of the contract was just really heavy on him. I hope the fanbase warms up to him and hopefully he can surprise a bit for the first few months.

• MannyGeee says:

In fairness… Wells has been hitting the snot out of the ball this spring. Like, Future HoF Ronnier Mustelier level hitting.

But alas, it is spring… so who’s to say.

• LK says:

Whenever the pressure of a contract is getting to a guy, a trade to the Bronx is just what he needs to relax.

9. icema says:

Cc sucks terrible just terrible god almighty there gonna get no hit by the astros

10. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Am I the only one who is outraged that they gave Wells Sturtze’s number?

11. dalelama says:

This seasonn is going to make The Bataan Death March seem like a stroll on the beach.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

And you’ll have nothing to do with that at all, I’m sure.

• Alkaline says:

Extremely appropriate analogy.

You say you were around in the 60s, so that would put you up 50+. If you’re that..*cough* invested in the team to spout that nonsense, perhaps you should stop watching the team. With all the vile and negative things you say about them, it doesn’t make any sense that you’re a fan. At all.

And no, don’t go on about your “objective prophetic ways.” What you say is crap.

• jjyank says:

He’s a Mets fan. Why he spends so much time on a Yankee website speaks volumes about that sadness in his life, and it makes me feel kinda bad for him (emphasis on “kinda”), but I can’t explain it really.

• dalelama says:

jjank our favorite momma’s basement princess makes an appearance.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Your insults are as bad as they are juvenile.

To dumb it down for you in case the concepts I expressed were too difficult-Your insults suck. Get a new favorite insult comic, because whoever you’re watching isn’t helping.

• jjyank says:

…says the guy who’s life is most likely the saddest in the RAB community.

Also, spell my fucking name right. If you’re gonna troll, at least check your spelling.

• dalelama says:

Whatever princess….

• jjyank says:

Dear children that read RAB,

Stay in school.

Love,
                Everyone who’s ever seen a dalelama comment

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

dalelama: Has it ever occurred to you to try and consider WHY people insult you like this.

Thing long and hard about this. It’s not difficult. Why do people think you’re a fucking dickhead?

Work it out. We’ll be here.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You’re assuming a level of thought not existent here. He’s here to troll and insult others.

And, if he really is old enough to remember Horace Clarke AND is still doing this, then life hasn’t worked out so well for our dear friend.

• dalelama says:

Sorry if you can’t handle the predictable impact of handing out outrageous contracts to the undeserving. Hopefully I am wrong but not likely.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Wow, you literally addressed absolutely none of the points he made.

You impress me, dalelama. Despite your vitriolic hatred of all things pinstriped, and the fact that you’re universally disliked on the blog, you STILL take the time to come here almost every day specifically to piss people off-successfully.

You get credit from me for two things-One, that you’re so good at pissing people off, and two, that you really have that little to do with your time. What are you, a hobo who’s only possession is a laptop with universal internet access? Because that’s the only reason I can think of why you would consider it entertaining to do this each day. Because your life really is that purposeless.

I pity you, dalelama. I really do.

• dalelama says:

I just deliver truth if that upsets the homer element so be it.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

No you don’t, dalelama. You don’t “just” deliver the truth. And you know that, and we really shouldn’t be feeding trolls like you-but sometimes you’re just in the mood to call out internet bullshit. Like xkcd says:

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Even as a Filipino I laughed.

12. mustang says:

“Given the players they allowed to walk this winter and their unwillingness to sign free agents to multi-year contracts, this is a very questionable move (at best) ”

Mike Nail it!!!!!!!!!

13. Alkaline says:

Nice rip Gardy

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

Dear Eduardo Nunez,

I have no desire to watch Gil Velazquez start at short for my team. Thank you.

Love,
    Actually not Eddard

• The Real Me (Formerly Cris Pengiucci) says:

Glad Nunez seems to be OK. This ST has been bad enough.

Hey RT – My wife is making Mofungo!! (Tell Cano he’s free to stop by anytime for some!)

15. mustang says:

“In fact, tonight’s lineup sure looks like the Opening Day lineup* if you ask me. Here’s the starting nine…”

I’m depressed!

I haven’t been this down on the Yankees since the spring 1996 so I guess that’s good thing.

Before that last statement kills me remember folks:
    Mo wasn’t Mo
    Jeter wasn’t Jeter
    Bernie wasn’t Berine
    What I consider a great manager was being replace by a used Joe Torre.
    Joe Girardi replaced Mike Standy.

I wasn’t too happy, but things turn out great so who knows.

16. LarryM., Fl. says:

Can Nunez and Gardner stop sliding head first.

Also, is there something I can do to get my name and email remembered by the website.