Apr

Yankees call up Vidal Nuno from Triple-A

12:27pm: Nuno has indeed been called up. No word on the corresponding roster move(s) yet, but you have to think it’s Nova to the 15-day DL and Jeter to the 60-day DL.

10:00am: According to farmhand Manny Barreda, the Yankees are calling up left-hander Vidal Nuno from Triple-A. The move suggests Ivan Nova is headed to the DL after leaving last night’s start with elbow pain. The team will need to clear a 40-man spot, with the easiest move being Derek Jeter to the 60-day DL.

Nuno, 25, has pitched to a 1.54 ERA (2.34 FIP) with 26 strikeouts and just two walks in 23.1 innings for Triple-A Scranton this month after putting himself on the map with a strong Spring Training. The finesse southpaw was scheduled to start today for the Triple-A squad, so he will be available to throw 80+ pitches in relief if need be. The Yankees signed Nuno out of an independent league back in 2011 and he’s done nothing but get outs since then, so the call-up is both a great story and well-deserved.

Categories : Asides

46 Comments

1. mannycruz says:

our future ace from out of nowhere, imagine?

2. jjyank says:

I was hoping for Montgomery personally, but I won’t complain much about Nuno. He’s earned a shot, and the Yankees seem to want to have two potential long guys, one for a true mop up roll and one for the 2009 Aceves-type role, so Nuno is a better for that. Looking forward to see how his success translates to the bigs!

3. Barry says:

Yahoo says Romine is on his way as well. No official move for that yet or no?

4. Kosmo says:

Does this mean Nuno or Phelps will get Nova´s next scheduled start? Stay tuned !

• RetroRob says:

I would think Phelps, with Nuno being an available arm out of the pen.

• Kosmo says:

presumably but why call up a SP instead of a reliever ?

• RetroRob says:

Perhaps Girardi is jonesing for a second lefty out of the pen. Don’t know.

• Havok9120 says:

If it’s for the Aceves role (which is what Phelps has been doing) you almost need another starter to get a guy stretched out enough to do that.

• matt montero says:

How long can Phelps go? I’m sure he’ll be on some type of pitch or inning limit so maybe Nuno will back up Phelps? On a more serious note, what will Girardi call him? Nuny is already taken by Nunez, will he go with Nuno until he feels Nuno deserves a “nickname”?

• Havok9120 says:

He’ll be good for 95-100 pitches next time out. He’s more or less fully stretched out.

• Voice of Reason says:

smart money says Phelps starts, Warren becomes Phelps, and Nuno becomes Warren (the second long reliever, whose presence is unnoticed and unnecessary).

Nuno’s numbers against lefties have always been especially outstanding and middle relief is by far the easiest way to imagine a Yankee career for him, but it would be incredibly shocking if that’s why he’s up.

5. Chelo Chelo says:

So what’s Warrens job on this team? Sit in the bullpen and look pretty?

• RetroRob says:

It’s a tough job, but someone’s got to do it.

Assuming Phelps takes the Nova role in the rotation, then Warren maybe bumped up to take Phelps’ more regular long role, and Nuno taking over the look-pretty role. Being a lefty, though, may give him a few more opps.

• BeanTooth says:

Pays a lot better than pitching every 5 days in AAA, so it’s not a total bust.

• Chelo Chelo says:

I’m pretty sure hes not complaining but must be frustrating. But man is good money lol

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

Can someone confirm that I didn’t just misread “Cody Eppley” there?

7. Dalek Jeter says:

Don’t understand the need for another long man with Warren in the pen (who hasn’t looked that bad IMO), they should #freemonty!!

8. Govin says:

I thought Nunez and Nova were easy to get mixed up. Now I have to deal with Nuno and Nunez. I really wanted to see Monty pitch in the Big Leagues, but nuno has been just as good or better this year.

9. TheMick7 says:

The kid deserved to break camp with them after the spring he had except they had 40 man problems.Glad to see that they are giving him his shot!

10. Eddard says:

Now Joe will have another lefty at his disposal. This is a good move giving these kids a chance at the big leagues. It’s a shame we’ve had all these injuries but they give opportunities to these kids to show what they can do.

11. Mickey Scheister says:

Yay! Nuno! I hope he gets a chance to start.

12. trr says:

From Nova to Nuno… Good Luck!

13. Elevtric nunez ll says:

If Vidal were right-handed I bet you would have seen Monty up, that left hand goes a long way…

Happy for Nuno, but I have always liked Nova despite how frustrating it was watching him. I have a bad feeling about this, like its the beginning of the end for him (at least with the Yankees), hope I’m wrong.

14. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Congrats to Nuno for the call up. Sorry to see Nova go on the DL. Was hoping he’d get more chances to figure it out. Who knows what the future holds?

The two long man experiment needs to stop. Plus, it might be time to just retroactively put Youkilis on the DL.

If you told me that Youk, A-Rod, Jeter, Teix, Grandy AND Cervelli would all be on the DL/hurt at one time, and the team would still be fighting for a division……..

15. 98nyy says:

Where is rhe move for Youk? Is Adams on his way?

16. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Which deity did the Yankees piss off over the winter to continually incur all these injuries? I thought last year’s injury-fest sucked. 2013 is off the rails.

17. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Nuno, Nova, Nunez. Reminds me of Queens rappers in the 90′s. Nas, Nature, Noriega…..

BTW, who gets called Nunie?

Imagine a Joe Girardi postgame on a 1-6-3 double play:

“I thought Nunie made a great throw to Nunie on the DP there…..”

18. ClusterDuck says:

Now if only we had a Musty spot.

Monica had one.

19. Robinson Tilapia says:

Imagine, somehow, Stairs and Rapada end up back with the team. LEFTY PANDEMONIUM!

20. CashmanNinja says:

The last time I remember 2 guys getting called up at once with some fanfare was when Wang and Cano made the jump. Obviously I’m not saying Nuno or Romine are anywhere near them, but I suppose it’s just exciting seeing what the young guys can do and how they handle the pressure. I’ve always been a Romine backer, but the injuries have been extremely frustrating. Nuno, on the other hand, really opened my eyes this spring. He’s hands down 1 of my current favorite prospects and if he could have a positive impact then I’d be thrilled. I’m not really a Nova fan (tons of potential, but just doesn’t seem to “get it”), so in a perfect world I’d love for Nuno to come in, hold his ground, and potentially take over the rotation spot. It won’t happen, but a guy can dream. I’m hoping that at the very least Phelps beats out Nova.

21. Vern Sneaket says:

Always great fun when the prospects come up. Looking forward to seeing them play.

22. Robert says:

Saw Nuno last year at Trenton. Just gets guys out I think he will stick given the chance.

Next up David Adams and Zmont I hope!! Keep the young guys coming…Lets find out now and keep the line moving from the minors.

Anybody seen Musty???

23. Caballo Sin Nombre says:

Nuno… great… another pitcher with a name I can make fun of… “No no” Nuno.

Goes only with

Kuroded
    PEDitte
    Pee Yoos
    Phlops
    No Va

and the late lamented Crapada

24. Ross says:

As much as I approve of Phelps as a back of the rotation starter, I think this call up is going to put Nuno in a position for misuse. He is a starter and not a reliever. He’s one of those guys who has a plan and executes over several frames. I think he might falter as a reliever and not be given the shot to start. Then, some team will come along and ”Quintana” us.
    This guy, at the very least, will have to start clean at the beginning of innings with no runners on … Preferably with a tie score or a lead.

• Betty Lizard says:

While I’m sure your points have merit, as an old Yankees fan I find myself no longer caring much about pitcher development. Or pitcher misuase. This season, especially, I’m going back to my just live for–er, just win–today philosophy.

25. Steve Randel says:

I’ve followed Nuno’s career since he pitched against my high school team many moons ago. Lot’s of bumps in the road along the way, but Vidal is a tough kid who has earned a shot at the show.