May

Game 44: B’more

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

This series is about as important as a mid-May series can get. The Orioles gave the Yankees fits down the stretch last year and currently sit four games back in the AL East, so these three games will give the Bombers a chance to create some distance in the division race. Almost no lead is insurmountable this time of year, but that doesn’t mean having decent-sized cushion isn’t a big deal. Here’s the lineup that will face former Yankee right-hander Freddy Garcia

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. 2B Robinson Cano
  3. DH Travis Hafner
  4. 1B Lyle Overbay
  5. LF Curtis Granderson
  6. 3B David Adams
  7. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  8. SS Reid Brignac
  9. C Austin Romine

And on the mound is the Indians’ leader in homers hit by a pitcher over the last 40 years (two), left-hander CC Sabathia.

It’s cloudy in Baltimore and the forecast calls for some showers later tonight. Hopefully they won’t be bad enough to delay or postpone the game. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and ESPN nationally. Enjoy.

Injury Updates (via the AP): Chris Stewart (groin) is feeling better but is still unable to return to anything more than emergency catching duty … Alex Rodriguez (hip) fielded grounders today for the first time since surgery … Kevin Youkilis (back) took batting practice on the field, fielded grounders at first and third, and made throws to the bases … Eduardo Nunez (ribcage) fielding some grounders … Joba Chamberlain (oblique) threw a bullpen session and is expected to make another minor league appearances this week … earlier today we learned Mark Teixeira (wrist) took some at-bats in a simulated game.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Winter says:

No bird can stand in the way of Prussia’s might!

2. trr says:

Stacking the LH bats against Garcia, maybe going for a quick KO. Hopefully CC’s got it tonight.
    Let’s win this one!

• Winter says:

I’m not a fan of starting Ichiro over Wells, even with Garcia on the mound. Wells is a better hitter, even against RHP. Unless Wells needs the day off (when was the last time he sat?), he should be in the lineup over Ichiro. Always.

• forensic says:

When’s the last time Wells sat? Yesterday.

Personally, I would’ve sat Granderson for Wells, but I’m too much of a sucker for batter vs. pitcher history.

• Winter says:

How could I forget yesterday? :P

And you’d take Ichiro over Granderson? I just don’t see it. Except for the last month (really more like 2.5 weeks) of last year, Ichiro has been absolutely horrible the last two years. Granderson has been somewhere between quite good and MVP-caliber over the same stretch.

• forensic says:

I didn’t say anything about Ichiro over Granderson overall or really for a long period of time.

I said for this game, in this matchup, I probably would’ve sat Granderson for Ichiro. Like I said, I’m a sucker for matchups, and there are certainly limitations (like Granderson not facing Garcia since 2010 and Ichiro not since 2011), but still, the number for them are vastly different.

I know Garcia has a massive platoon split this year, but that’s in 3 short games and a couple hits can greatly sway that one way or the other, though I understand piling the lefties into the lineup.

Just saying, this is what I might have done in this game. Hopefully both Granderson and Ichiro have big games and our couch-side managing is meaningless.

• The Real Greg says:

Yeah Granderson would be the one to sit

.176 (6 for 40) against Freddy.

Ichiro is .367 (11 for 34)

Wells is .438 (7 for 19)

• The Real Greg says:

And before people mention Ichiro’s degrading skills,

From 2010-2013 he was 3 for 10 against Garcia.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Most of that was when Garcia was a better pitcher and when Ichiro was good.

See above

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Ichiro was still good in 2010.
                None of the 3 really have any relevant, recent experience against Garcia.

Fair enough

1 for 3 in 2011-2013.

3 at bats? Really?

Ichiro has been bad. Grandyman hasn’t. I think that’s far more relevant than 3 at bats.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

With a .583 OPS.

Good AVG, lousy OPS.
                    Either way, really nothing (only 4 PA) to use as a basis for any decisions.

• The Real Greg says:

And you’re right. Only Reid Brigniac and Jayson Nix have had at bats against Garcia the last two years, primarily because Garcia was on the Yankees the last two years.

• forensic says:

While that’s certainly true on Ichiro, Garcia arguably hasn’t really been good since about 2005, other than a short start here and there (and of course the 2011 fluke of all flukes). And, a similar argument could be made that those bad Granderson numbers come from a time when in the past when he was arguably a much more balanced hitter with great numbers in ’07 and ’08.

3. The Real Greg says:

There’s a bit of concern as this has a bit of a reverse lock feel to it. But I hope we can pound Freddy.

4. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

About as important as a mid-May series can get, huh?

In other words, not that important.

• Laz says:

A win is a win, regardless of what month of the regular season. We just don’t know who the other teams they have to outplay yet are.

• Winter says:

Well, a win over a potential contender for the Division is more important, because it also guarantees a loss for them. You’re right that the month doesn’t matter though.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I think statistically it does, just like an at bat in a tie game in the ninth matters more than an at bat tied 0-0 in the first. It’s all a matter of probability – later in the season, with less games to play, the probability of you winning the division in a close pennant race decreases substantially more with each loss than losses in mid-May. That’s why people don’t panic when you’re four back in April but you do panic when you’re four back in September.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

…Also, the odds of tying the game or taking the lead down one run in the first are substantially higher than tying or taking the lead down one run in the ninth.

• Laz says:

Both at bats matter the same. It is simply that the AB in the 9th of a tie game has much more pressure, and people equate that pressure with importance.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Not exactly. Look at the WPA graph. Why do you think jumps in the graph are much more dramatic at different points in the game? It’s because when time winds down in close games at bats become more important than earlier.

5. forensic says:

Uh oh, an A-Rod update.

Cue the outrage that he’s still in the organization…

6. Eddard says:

CC dominates the Orioles. Freddy should be retired. They can’t lose this one, they just can’t.

7. trr says:

Don’t know if anyone else is seeing the damage from the massive tornado that struck Oklahoma, but it looks like most of the town of Moore OK has been completely destroyed. Prayers and best wishes to all residents….

8. Eddard says:

And I like how people say, well CC just isn’t that good anymore because my eyes tell me that his velocity has declined. I wonder how many pitchers would say that a 3.19 ERA in the AL East just isn’t that good anymore. CC is doing just fine and that velocity will go up a couple ticks as the year goes on.

9. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

FOR PRUSSIA!!!!

10. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Those tornadoes in the Midwest are insane. I’d take any Hurricane or Blizzard over a Tornado anyday.

11. Dalek Jeter says:

Ichiro, we need you to act like it’s a decade ago FOR PRUSSIA!!!

12. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Gotta love a thread that starts off with comments like “From 2010-2013 he was 3 for 10 against Garcia.” from Greg. As if 10 at bats over a 3.5 year period could ever be predictive of anything.

13. The Real Greg says:

That was a meatball. Gardner has to do something more with that pitch.

14. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

FUCK YEAH ROBBIE

15. The Real Greg says:

And Cano did it with that meatball

16. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Cano: “Slump? What slump?”

17. Dalek Jeter says:

ROBBIE CANO!!!

Way to call it Kenny!!!

18. Anderson Silva says:

Robbie just murders the O’s! Add another one!

19. Rolling Doughnut says:

He’s Baaaaack

20. Wheels says:

Robbie!

21. forensic says:

Nice Cano!

I thought that might’ve been a gapper, but not getting out. Maybe the ball is carrying well there tonight.

22. Pseudoyanks says:

Robbie just ran around the bases faster than I’ve seen him go to first a couple of times.

23. vicki says:

hey, forensic, howyalike them batter vs. pitching stats now? (wink)

24. Dalek Jeter says:

The move is to sit Ichiro. He’s done. I mean it’s late May and he’s off to a horrendous start: .241/.281/.328 wRC+ is 56(!!!) after being pretty terrible for two consecutive years, so I don’t get how it’s a “conundrum” to find him playing time. He’s a pinch runner and defensive replacement and 4th outfielder, apart from his name and contract I don’t understand why he’s being treated any differently.

• Pseudoyanks says:

Those are Exactly the two reasons why he is being treated differently.

• The Real Greg says:

That and they’ve seen him get red hot for a stretch.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Well’s actual play + his past numbers against Garcia>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>a theoretical Ichiro hot streak.

I feel like the ‘greater than’ arrows were getting to be too much…but imagine them going on literally forever. Imagine a google of them.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I really don’t understand why we have to hurt our chances of winning to placate this dude’s ego. He’s not Jorge Posada, he’s not Andy, hell he’s not even A-Rod, who has been here a decade now. He’s a hired gun who came on last year for a chance at winning a ring. Jason Kidd was one of the best point guards of all time. He didn’t start for the Knicks, did he? No. He took a back seat as a role player because he knew it was what’s best for the teams chance to win.

• Pseudoyanks says:

“I really don’t understand why we have to hurt our chances of winning to placate this dude’s ego”
          The Front Office made that decision when they signed him, though it’s not just his ego, it’s also selling Ichiro jerseys in Kyoto.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m sure you’re right, that’s one thing I do miss about George, winning came before anything. Even the bottom line. The same cannot be said for his kids. I’m not saying they should sell the team or whatever, because I’m sure that’s most owners. It’s just weird seeing things come before winning.

• forensic says:

Yeah, because George never made bad signings or did dumb shit that hurt the team.

• Ken Phelps says:

I resent that!

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m not saying he didn’t, but he did it with the intention to win, not the intention to reach out to international markets to make more money.

• forensic says:

And they’ve never said that’s why they’re doing it. That’s just what people like to use as another excuse to bash them and Ichiro.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Honestly, I don’t care what the motivation is. The numbers and my eyes tell me the right baseball move is to turn Ichiro into 4th outfielder.

• Anderson Silva says:

I just wish the Streinbrenners had this same opinion of him

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Yeah but see Greg’s comment above. He’s 1 for 3 against Freddy from 2011-2013. That’s .333! What more evidence could you want that it’s a good idea to start Ichiro?

25. Wheels says:

Nice start.

26. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Addy!!!!!!

27. The Real Greg says:

Kay is just itching to jinx Adams

And he failed.

28. Dalek Jeter says:

DAVID ADAMS!!!! First big league homer!!!

29. Cy Pettitte says:

first HR for Adams, nice.

30. Wheels says:

See ya!

31. Anderson Silva says:

Damn! Adams is impressive as hell!

32. Get Phelps Up says:

What was Sterling’s call?

33. Leg-End says:

That’s great stuff.

34. mike myers says:

up up and adam?

35. Dalek Jeter says:

Swing harder Reid lol…

36. Alkaline says:

So happy I got to see Adams a couple times this year in AAA and that I caught that live. Great swing!

Hope JJ enjoyed that live!

37. vicki says:

what was sterling’s call?

38. Jim B. Johnson says:

Did anyone hear John Sterling’s call for the David Adams homer? Just wondering what it was.

39. Vern Sneaker says:

We DFA’d this guy?!

40. Neo says:

“David is Goliath!”

41. forensic says:

Yeah Adams!!!

Maybe Matt should write a few more posts about how we should temper our expectations on some other players…

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I’m starting to feel really excited about Ben Francisco….or is that asking for too much of a miracle?

• forensic says:

Believing in magic from blog writers is one thing, but they’re not miracle workers…

Combine Matt doing these posts and Mike doing his posts on guy’s slumps, and they might never lose again.

42. JonS says:

So happy for Adams!!

43. Eddard says:

Adams keeps giving more and more proof that these kids should be up in NY helping the MLB ballclub when there are a rash of injuries. Francisco should be cut immediately after the game.

44. nycsportzfan says:

The Future is Now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nunez,Nuno,Gardner,Cervelli,Phelps,Nova,Warren,Claiborne,Adams,Romine,Hughes,Joba)…etc

45. Andy says:

Nice to see the yankee haters at ESPN give the yanks their due

46. Wheels says:

Adam Jones still blowing bubbles.

47. Get Phelps Up says:

David Adams now has as many homers against non-Astros teams than Josh Hamilton!

48. Dalek Jeter says:

If/when Youk and/or Stewart are healthy and Adams and/or Romine are playing well I hope the Vets aren’t just handed their spots back. Especially Adams for Youkilis. Youk’s a very good player, don’t get me wrong…but it’s more fun watching a kid do it than a vet, and if they’re both playing well I’d much rather see the kid.

• vicki says:

easy. platoon 1B.

• forensic says:

You know better than to expect that with how the organization has clear preference for vets whenever possible (and they won’t have guys lose their jobs to injury, which is why I still think Nova will be back in the rotation upon his return too). Once Youk is back, Adams is back in AAA. Once Stewart is healthy, he’ll get the majority of the play again (possibly not quite to the point he was before with almost 5 out of 6 or 6 out of 7 games, but will still get more than Romine).

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I think Adams sticks around until at least both Tex and Youk are back.
        I also think Phelps stays in the rotation.

• forensic says:

Wishful thinking still that they’ll dump Francisco when the first of them is ready? I like it, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

As for Phelps, again I’d really hope so (I was all over him being in the rotation right from the start of ST), but I’m not so sure it will happen. This is more possible, in my opinion, than the Adams thing though as there is more money tied up in Youk than Nova (though the possible future implications may outweigh that thereby nullifying that advantage).

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I do think Francisco will be dumped if Youk is back first. If Tex is back first, I suppose it could be Overbay, but I think it might still be Francisco, keeping Overbay around as insurance, at least for a while.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I know :( That’s why I said I hope, I know it won’t happen..which is honestly why I’m surprised the Brignac acquisition didn’t just push Nix to 3rd full time and Adams to the bench/minors.

• forensic says:

Eh, there’s a big difference between the Brignac’s and Nix’s of the world and the Youkilis’. Especially in terms of money.

49. nycsportzfan says:

How can we not have enough to get a good hitter at the dealine without giving up a Sanchez or Robertson or something? I mean, these guys are performing, which is all that should matter.. Phelps, Warren, Nova, Nuno, Gardner,Adams..etc Look how Zach McCallister is doing as well. If i’m a team like the Mariners or Cubs, i’m looking to get a couple of these cheap yankee pieces that are performing for a Soriano or a Morales or something like that..

• nycsportzfan says:

Not saying i’d do it, but i here sometimes all we have is the Sanchez, Williams, and Austins to bargain with, and i believe we got a bunch of guys that are prooving to be perfect fits and good cheap gap fillers that mesh perfectly with a few vets..

50. Karl Krawfid says:

92 mph

51. forensic says:

Geez CC, what a meatball, hanging slider there…

• nycsportzfan says:

Eh, he gives up HR’s, but at leasst there usually solo shots and don’t do super harm..

• forensic says:

They still do harm, it’s a quick run. And he’s on pace to blow past his career high in HR’s (which he just set last year).

• Get Phelps Up says:

Doesn’t that also mean that he’s due for some regression (less HR’s given up?)

Hopefully.

It could also be a little of the manifestation of his lesser stuff/velocity at this point in his career.

• Brian S. says:

That’s not how regression works in a limited sample. Also he’s a different pitcher than he once was.

• nycsportzfan says:

If he wins this game, hes on pace for like 18wins and a sub 3.50 ERA which is fantastic. He just gives up the long ball becuase he challenges guys and dosen’t walk em is all.

• The Real Greg says:

Agreed. Just like Ichiro, he’s slowing down. His fastball is slower so he can’t get away with what he used to be able to get away with.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Ichiro has cliff dived, hit a small hill then fell of that cliff too…CC’s on a much less precipitous decline.

• Get Phelps Up says:

He’s on pace to give up nearly 30 homers this season. I feel comfortable saying that pace will regress as the season goes on. Even if he’s a different pitcher.

• nycsportzfan says:

Ya, and hes also on pace for 15wins and a sub 3.50era… My point is he gives up his RUNS via the HR is all..

52. Pseudoyanks says:

Which HR has gotten the loudest reaction?

53. The Real Greg says:

The ball is jumpin’ tonight.

54. Rolling Doughnut says:

One slider too many.

55. Dalek Jeter says:

Ball is straight up flying out tonight.

56. nycsportzfan says:

With Freddy pitching, i just can’t wait for our offense to get back up there!!!lol

57. forensic says:

Watching some of those M’s/Indians games really made me sad that the Yankees actually lost a series to them, and after winning a game started by Felix at that.

Just in today’s game, they dropped balls at 1st base twice, once in the 9th and once in the 10th, both times allowing runs (the first to tie and the second to win).

58. nycsportzfan says:

Come on CC, one more out here! Lets go!!!

59. The Real Greg says:

Damn Brigniac. I think even Jeter would have gotten to that one.

60. nycsportzfan says:

Are turn!

61. Alkaline says:

We got this; let’s go!

62. nycsportzfan says:

I’d love to be able to see CC bat alittle more.

63. The Real Greg says:

It’s Soriano isn’t it?

64. Tom says:

Wow they are up there hacking tonight… 36 pitches with one out in the 4th for Freddy.

This is the type of guy they should grind out in 5 innings.

• nycsportzfan says:

Agreed.

• forensic says:

Given his lower pitch counts, it’s the kind of the guy they should grind out in 4 innings.

Some pretty weak hacks up there, I wish someone had told them he doesn’t throw anywhere close to hard and you need to wait a touch longer than normal pitchers. Almost every swing has been early.

65. nycsportzfan says:

I got a feeling Granderson is gonna launch one this game!

66. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Looked safe to me.

67. Alkaline says:

Now that was a pretty play.

68. Troll says:

Damn, this offense is hideous. A reverse lock never looked so attractive.

• The Real Greg says:

I’m not complaining about it because Freddy Garcia do the same thing to a lot of other offenses when he was with the Yankees. He should be crushed every time, but he’s not.

69. Rolling Doughnut says:

Oh my what a play. Grandy can’t buy a hit.

70. Eddard says:

Who’s at 1st tonight, Jerry Meals? He was safe.

71. Dalek Jeter says:

That is the bangiest of bang-bang plays…still think he was safe though.

72. The Real Greg says:

On replay, it looked simultaneous.

73. Leg-End says:

Freddy is one of those pitchers everyone should hit hard but they know they should so they go up there looking to crush him and he sweats the life out of them.

We will get him soon though, very soon.

• The Real Greg says:

That’s why I’m not upset that the Yankees have only 2 runs. We saw him work the last two years to know better than we were going to oome in and mash him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Exactly. That’s the reason he’ll have a job in MLB much longer than you think he will.

74. Robinson Tilapia says:

Is it too late for shoutouts to Prussia, jjyank at the game, and to Ron Burgundy?

• Dalek Jeter says:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from Ma and Pa is it’s always an appropriate time for shout outs.

75. nycsportzfan says:

Come on CC, get this fool!

76. Dalek Jeter says:

CC’s getting squeezed in this AB.

77. Dalek Jeter says:

That commercial for cialus and old people sex was about a minute and a half too long.

78. The Real Greg says:

I think for CC a key number to watch is hits/9 innings. Coming in, he has given up 9.3 hits/9 which is exactly 1 hit higher than last year’s average. Gotta get that number down.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

I know you’re familiar with BABIP, so why do you look at hits/9 innings when that’s more of a product of luck than skill compared to K/9, BB/9, and HR/9?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Another key number to watch: The number of runs the Yankees score in relation to the Orioles.

79. nycsportzfan says:

Ya Adams!

80. forensic says:

David Adams, you’re our offense’s only hope…

sort of.

81. Dalek Jeter says:

Ichiro, you have a sub .300 OBP. Let that hit you.

• WhittakerWalt says:

It kills me when Sterling describes this level of Ichiro’s offense as “un-Ichiro-like.” Dude, yes it is. It’s no longer SSS. This is who Ichiro is now. Willie Mays hasn’t shown much power lately, either. Guys get old.

82. The Real Greg says:

Well so far Grandy and Ichiro are nill nill, although Grandy has an arguement.

83. your mom says:

shit Ichiro, do something, anything.

84. forensic says:

That sure disintegrated quickly…

85. Robinson Tilapia says:

Uh, Brignac limping?

When the backups to the backups to the backups get injured.

86. Dalek Jeter says:

…ugh. The bottom of this lineup…

87. WhittakerWalt says:

Shit, Ichiro is so fucking useless.

88. your mom says:

Ew. Brignac not off to a good start here.

89. The Real Greg says:

I’m surprised that the cry for Ichiro to be on the bench is higher outside of this forum.

90. Kramerica Industries says:

2 runs and 3 hits in five innings against Garcia is kinda sucky, no?

• The Real Greg says:

But again, we saw him the last 2 years to know better.

• Kramerica Industries says:

That’s right.

We saw him get fucking mauled last season.

• forensic says:

It wasn’t two years, it was one year and that was the flukiest of all fluke years (which can certainly happen in one game like this too, unfortunately).

• Troll says:

Don’t forget that he’s also at 50 pitches in 5 innings. That’s disgusting. They’d give Verlander, Kershaw, and the King a better run for their money . . .

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

No. Kinda sucky really isn’t strong enough.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He’s a major league pitcher, and one who did rather well for us for an entire season, plus a few good starts when needed his second season.

No. You should never be surprised when anyone wearing a major league uniform pitches well against your team.

91. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Alright, Greg. Ichiro is now a shocking 1 for 5 against Freddy Garcia from 2011-2013. That’s a .200 average!

This obviously changes the calculus of whether it’s a good idea to play him vs. Garcia compared to earlier today, when he was batting a robust .333 (1 for 3) from 2011-2013 against him. Have you changed your mind based on this overwhelming new avalanche of data?

• The Real Greg says:

As I mentioned earlier, both Grandy and Ichiro are hitless.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Er, I think that reinforces what I was saying. Looking at a sample size of 3 (or 5) tells you essentially nothing about what is likely to happen going forward.

92. Robinson Tilapia says:

The Sons of Sam Pearce cheer from the stands.

93. The Real Greg says:

Steve Pearce out for revenge!

94. nycsportzfan says:

Pearce with the leadoff double. Crap!

95. teddy says:

when are the yanks gotta cut suzuki

96. Get Phelps Up says:

Thank goodness he’s OK. Jayson Nix catching in a 1 run game doesn’t sound fun.

97. Leg-End says:

Romine has no chin, that was a nothing hit! Heh.

98. Robinson Tilapia says:

Bad things Ichiro bad things grumble grumble

• Dalek Jeter says:

I seem to have started something here! I’ve taken the hatred normally reserved for Francisco and transferred it over to Ichiro. I’ve tried with Nixie unsuccessfully, but with Ichiro it seems to have worked.

99. nycsportzfan says:

How much doe is CC making this yr?

100. WhittakerWalt says:

I can’t tell if the runner advanced to third on that out. Believe it or not, Pa Yankee didn’t describe it clearly.

101. Kramerica Industries says:

Oh what, the Orioles and their fans are still bitching wreckless abandon about that HBP last year?

• Get Phelps Up says:

The funny thing is that his replacement was one of the only Orioles who actually hit in that series.

102. Kramerica Industries says:

Fuck.

103. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Hmmmm, at what point ARE we allowed to be worried about CC?

I’m not saying that two runs, of course, is the time to be worried. It just made me think of the question.

• The Real Greg says:

When his ERA starts getting in the high 3s and into the 4′s.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I think it’s more important to check out the peripheral stats as opposed to his ERA.

• nycsportzfan says:

Not yet. If he gets through 6or7 innings at 2runs, you gotta tip your cap.

• Dalek Jeter says:

It seems like somebody asks this at some point during CC’s starts this season, then next thing you know it’s the 7th and he’s still pitching, has struck out 6+, hasn’t allowed more than 3 or 4 runs, and has given the Yankees a chance to win.

• nycsportzfan says:

very true.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Okay. But when he’s doing this every single start,you gotta wonder when dominant CC is showing up for a consistent stretch. Grind it out CC is a great thing, but it’s also worrying. You can’t live on the edge forever.

Andy Pettitte’s career 1.351 career WHIP disagrees =P

I get what you’re saying, but until he actually falls off the cliff I have faith that he’ll grind through 7 and pitch well more often than not.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

NO. SOMETHING IS WRONG. CAN’T YOU HEAR!?!?

• WhittakerWalt says:

According to RAB rules, “never.”

104. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

I’d be mad too if I let STEVE PEARCE score.

105. teddy says:

getting beat by there lefthanded hitters and cc getting out pitched bby garcia

106. WhittakerWalt says:

How about getting the lefties out?

• The Real Greg says:

I have to say though, the pitch that Markakis hit was a good pitch.

• WhittakerWalt says:

The Davis HR was not. I’m not saying he can never give up a hit to a lefty. It’s just that both RBIs in this game are from lefties. Irritating.

107. nycsportzfan says:

Fuck! Come on CC, get outta this!!

108. Duke says:

CC has looked like a shell of what he was this whole season thus far. Seems like he gets hit pretty hard every game.

109. Troll says:

Incoming missile. I can’t make out the label. I think it says, “3RUHNBOMM”. Look out!

110. Dalek Jeter says:

This fucking kid man. I love it.

111. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Nice play.
    Adams’ throws always scare me though. They almost always look like they are going to sail high.

• forensic says:

I was thinking the same thing. Not much of an arc to them (though some of that is from throwing hard). They seem to move up a bit and just stay there even over the long distance from 3rd to 1st, just low enough for Overbay to reach up and grab it.

112. Tom says:

Nice play by Adams.
    He’s looked decent at 3rd

113. Pseudoyanks says:

Icewater Adams !!!!

114. your mom says:

So I guess CC is never getting his velocity back. Looks like we won’t be seeing too many 8 inning outings from the big man. Pitch counts have been high early and often this year.

115. Will The Thrill says:

I know it’s alot to ask for but I wish the Yanks would sweep or at least win this series. Inter-division wins are so crucial but the Orioles are a Rays-esque pesky team now that seems to give us a super hard time.

116. Get Phelps Up says:

That Etihad Airlines commercial is great.

117. Vern Sneaker says:

This is the same guy who was bat only? Impressive.

118. Robinson Tilapia says:

Sammy is feisty tonight.

119. The Real Greg says:

Id I’m reading this correctly, CC’s BAbip is .310 this year.

But his career BABip average is .294

120. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

The embedded Yankees are failing hard at their jobs right now.

121. Will The Thrill says:

Tight games versus division opponents are the worst. It’s even worse when Freddy Garcia is the one beating you.

122. nycsportzfan says:

Romines got a nice linedrive stroke!

123. Troll says:

Oh, okay. So, the plan is to ensure Sweaty Freddy pitches at least sixteen innings tonight . . . Gotcha. Righteous. Righteous.

• Will The Thrill says:

I know you’re trolling but with his pitch count right now he could probably go 11 or 12.

• Troll says:

You consider that trolling? I just call it sarcasm because . . . YES, with his pitch count so low he COULD go quite deep into a game, ESPECIALLY since it is currently tied. No trolling here. Move along folks.

124. Get Phelps Up says:

Yankees suck chants in cities like Baltimore are hilarious.

125. JonS says:

Youk would not have made that play. Arod might not either.

126. Pasta says:

Yankees suck chant lol balt still sore about last year.

127. Dalek Jeter says:

Gardner should think about running. I feel like Garcia’s deliberate motion and slow pitches neutralizes Weiter’s arm.

128. Dela G says:

wow he was out

129. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Thanks ump.

130. nycsportzfan says:

Wow, that was close!

131. Wheels says:

Yikes.

132. Dela G says:

lol at gardner. he is wearing a legit oven mitt for a protector

133. Kramerica Industries says:

Two walks here.

Damn, gotta take advantage. This shouldn’t be a 2-2 game given the pitching matchup.

134. your mom says:

Need runs here.

135. Will The Thrill says:

Yankees just should limit running on Weiters. The guy is pretty on point with catching base stealers. You don’t want to run yourself out of an inning.

136. Dela G says:

that foul ball left the park

holy shit

137. Wheels says:

What a blast.

138. Dalek Jeter says:

WOW talk about a loud strike.

139. Pasta says:

Gardner needs to get a football wrist pad like linemen wear. Put the oven mitt down.

140. Dela G says:

damn it

141. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Fuck this game.

142. forensic says:

Ugh, ugly…

143. Kramerica Industries says:

Holy hell is Pronk slow.

144. nycsportzfan says:

Damn Hafner! That stung!

145. Dalek Jeter says:

See how a strike out isn’t always the worst possible outcome, Kay? I think Pronk would have prefered a strikeout there?

146. your mom says:

Fuck you Casilla, piece of shit.

147. The Real Greg says:

Yanks are slightly getting BABip fucked in this game.

148. Robinson Tilapia says:

Still sweaty, I guess.

149. Cy Pettitte says:

the only way they will get a hit tonight is a HR, the majority of these outs are hard hit right at a fielder.

150. Will The Thrill says:

Are you kidding me? Geez. We’re playing right into Freddy Garcia’s finesse pitching style. You think the Yanks would be able to perform better against a guy they know so well…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yet we’ve seen shit like this happen before. Just because you watch it over and over doesn’t mean you can hit it.

• The Real Greg says:

Like I said earlier, when Freddy was with the Yankees, we saw this. Balls being hit hard right at fielders.

151. Leg-End says:

Curses to you Freddy.

152. teddy says:

can’t believe hafner missed that pitch

153. anderson Silva says:

pretty fucking awful job with the bats.. would be nice to have Wells’ bat instead of Ichiro in there

154. teddy says:

cc gotta blow the game

155. nycsportzfan says:

Its not good when Chris Davis is hammering opposite field hits on you.

156. Dela G says:

wow showalter checking balls for cheating? what a loser

157. Robinson Tilapia says:

I used to be fairly ambivalent towards Chris Davis. I hate him now.

158. Dalek Jeter says:

DAVID FUCKING ADAMS!!!

159. The Real Greg says:

I think he was safe too.

160. Wheels says:

Yeah!

161. nycsportzfan says:

What a paly by Adams!!!! Hes a beast!!!

162. Pseudoyanks says:

Making teh plays!

163. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Nice play.
    Bad umpiring helps again.

164. teddy says:

were getting the calls, they are finding holes

165. Will The Thrill says:

I’m hoping this isn’t the series where our injuries catch up to us and we become the horrible team we are on paper. Also Buck Showalter needs to stop being a jerk. Does he honestly think CC is altering the ball?

166. Eddard says:

Great call, Jerry. He was clearly out.

167. nycsportzfan says:

Buck feeling that all the calls are going against him..lol

168. your mom says:

IBB Pearce here?

169. nycsportzfan says:

Adams with a nice catch as well!! His defense has been impressive to say the least!

• Will The Thrill says:

I think it can get better especially with diving stops. He let a couple of balls this game get by him for doubles down the line. But he’s doing pretty great for a guy who was a second baseman for most of his minor league career.

• Bo Knows says:

Those were rockets down the line, probably be hard for experience/elite 3rd baseman to get too, can’t fault him for that. Adams has been great defensively.

• nycsportzfan says:

Hes made some really clutch plays tonight. He also has played well on defense outside of this game as well.

170. Will The Thrill says:

I hope David Adams establishes himself and turns out to be the serviceable player he was projected to be.

171. Get Phelps Up says:

Lestah not off to such a great start on the South Side…

172. Tom says:

The embedded Yankees might not be getting it done but those embedded umpires certainly are!

173. Rolling Doughnut says:

CC this year and last:

2012: HR/9 1.0 BB/9 2.0 ERA+ 123
    2013: 1.2 2.3 131

What’s the problem?

174. nycsportzfan says:

Could this be the AB Grandy goes yard? I think so!

175. your mom says:

Kinda glad Garcia’s pitch count is low, especially in a close game. One swing off of his slop will get us the lead.

176. Dalek Jeter says:

LOVERBAY!!!

177. Dela G says:

BOOM!

This team never fails to give up!

Gritty!

178. Cy Pettitte says:

lol Overbay, I have no idea how to explain this.

179. fabricio says:

lyle hits it a mile!!!!

180. Kramerica Industries says:

Overbay, against a LHP?

We’ll take it!

181. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Loverbay!!!!

#toomanydamnhomeruns

182. Wheels says:

loverbay!!

183. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

LYLE. FUCKING. OVERBAY.

184. The Real Greg says:

And BUck Showalter just got slapped in the face.

185. nycsportzfan says:

OVERBAY!!!!!!

186. forensic says:

Overbay!

Off a lefty too!

Thanks for being a genius Showalter and taking Garcia out!!!

187. Robinson Tilapia says:

Woohoo!

188. Get Phelps Up says:

Kyle Loverbay at it again!

189. Leg-End says:

Overbay…….quick Buck check his bat.

190. your mom says:

Overbay, Fuck yeah! (Sung to the Team America tune)

191. Eddard says:

I just don’t see how they can get rid of him. Overbay will be a good bench player when Teixera returns.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I love Loverbay, but once Tex and Youk are back, with Adams in the fold as well…I’m just not sure there is room for Loverbay.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

That’s the choice if/when Tex and Youk and Hafner are healthy at the same time: Overbay or Adams (or if Cash is in trolling mood – Francisco)

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’d say Adams. He can play 2B in an emergency, a Rightie, and his best is ahead of him.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I could see that, unless there’s still some concern for Tex’s wrist.
            They can option Adams, I don’t imagine there’s anyway they’d be able to get Overbay in the minors. I could see them keeping Overbay temporarily for Tex insurance.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I hear you. I can’t see how you can make room on the roster, though. Think about it.

At the very least, he’s now got some trade value, which you couldn’t have predicted at the start of the season.

192. Tom says:

Dear Buck…Thanks for taking Freddy out!

193. Robinson Tilapia says:

Ryback can’t cut a promo.

194. flamingo says:

This team is ridiculous. I love it.

195. The Real Greg says:

Oh Adams, that’s right down the middle

196. Dalek Jeter says:

Reasons that Wells isn’t pinch hitting here?

197. The Real Greg says:

Why no Vernon Wells? I don’t know. Somebody should ask

• nycsportzfan says:

Vernon would of made sense there.

• Matt says:

You can also stop making excuses for everything that Girardi does. You would defend him even if he forfeited the game and took his team off the field by making up some nonsense like that they were tired and needed to sleep so they could win the next game.

198. Tom says:

Why no PH here?

199. nycsportzfan says:

Adams looked like Nix on that take strike 3 there.

200. your mom says:

Useless I say!!!! Useless!!!!!!!!!!

201. Will The Thrill says:

Overbay has been spectacular. He may not be a OBP stud but the power and respectable average have been there. I can’t imagine Teixeira doing much better especially with his slow starts which always seem to drag on for the first three months of the season.

• Leg-End says:

If Tex hits like its April and Overbay is traded people are gonna lose their minds……until Tex realises its June.

• Kramerica Industries says:

This is like Stockholm Syndrome or something.

We’ve forgotten that, even in his declining state, there’s a reason why Tex has a secure contract and Overbay was floating on waivers three days before the season began.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Overbay’s been great no doubt, but you gotta think Tex could do better than a 105 OPS+.

202. Troll says:

Okay, I’m about 5 miles from boarding the Ichiro hate-train . . . I’ma burnin’ for the Vernon.

• Will The Thrill says:

Ichiro looks done and there’s no reason to have patience and wait it out like we did with Ibanez. Ibanez had power at least but Ichiro’s hit tool looks gone. His bat speed seems to have diminished and he looks lost at plate.

203. WhittakerWalt says:

Ichiro. Again.

204. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Scary thing keeping CC in. I guess they’re hoping he can just get the ball to D-rob.

205. Dalek Jeter says:

Okay, very quickly, especially with the edition of Brignac, Ichiro is becoming my least favorite Yankee. He might even wind up on my most hated of all time list.

206. nycsportzfan says:

If CC can get through this inning, we will probably see the formula of Robertson and then MO. Nice!

207. The Real Greg says:

This should get the bullpen up.

208. your mom says:

Casilla’s pissing me off….as usual.

209. Kramerica Industries says:

C.C. has just been so hittable at times this year.

Nine hits for the Orioles tonight. Kinda hoping this turns around at some point. It’s been two months of the season now.

210. Pasta says:

Please get cc out of there

211. teddy says:

should be cc last batter

212. Will The Thrill says:

Blowout O’s > Scrappy O’s

213. your mom says:

Shawn Kelly eh? Don’t know what to think.

214. Dalek Jeter says:

Fuck…just fuck.

215. your mom says:

Fucking CC.

216. Wheels says:

Fuck

217. Kramerica Industries says:

Unbelievable.

Took two batters to erase the deficit, once again.

218. Leg-End says:

CC should have been out before this inning started.

• The Real Greg says:

That’s very easy to say in hindsight.

• Leg-End says:

His pitch count was nearly at 100, he wasn’t particularly effective and its a 1 run game with a fresh bullpen. Once that runner got on that should have been it, I know its CC by come on, win the game.

• Matt says:

These decisions were obvious to anyone even at the time. That’s a cop out and you know it.

219. teddy says:

cc has fail once again.

220. Karl Krawfid says:

I mean you’ve been getting beat on sliders all day CC.

A fastball inside wouldn’t be so bad.

221. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Well that was a quick lead cough up.
    Bullpen please.

222. nycsportzfan says:

Shit!!!! Get Claiborne up!

223. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

All right. Officially a very disappointing start for CC.

Why is he still in the game?

224. forensic says:

Well CC, sure didn’t take you long to give that lead right away, and set them up for another run, and do it against a lefty…

225. Pasta says:

See why let cc back out there

226. teddy says:

i guess giradri doesn’t care about winning

227. WhittakerWalt says:

This is just who CC is now.

228. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Wake up Joe.

229. anderson Silva says:

no reason to let CC pitch against the middle of their order.. he hasn’t been good today.

Sure it can work, but it’s absolutely the wrong decision

230. Kramerica Industries says:

G-d fucking dammit C.C.

Fucking pathetic.

231. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Why, why, WHY was CC left in the game? Come on Joe. Come on. Common sense.

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

Aak him then?

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

What type of stupid comment is that?

Greg. Stop this holier-than-thou bullshit. You did this all the time last year. Not every complaint about a legitimately questionable decision needs to be jumped on by you.

And we started off this year so well…

232. Karl Krawfid says:

Damn what a shitty game for CC.

233. nycsportzfan says:

Why in the world would we not have someone up to face Hardy? Cc’s given up hits all game long! So stupid!

234. Rolling Doughnut says:

Oh fuck

235. Pasta says:

Death by giradi’s binder

236. Eddard says:

You’ve got one of the best pens in the league and they weren’t brought in after a day off? CC should have been taken out after that lead off hit. Throw one in the dirt to Markakis on 1-2, not belt high where he can drive it.

237. Troll says:

While the Ichiro train is late to the station, I’m going to board the express to “Fu*k CC” instead.

238. Wheels says:

This is an outrage

239. anderson Silva says:

mission accomplished.. leave CC in too long so he can blow the game. Girardi is a fucking genius.

Can probably anticipate the press conference, it will be some “he’s our ace, the big guy, we trust him” bulshit. Fucking moron

• True Pinstriped Blue says:

It’s all that tool’s JJJerkoffs fault. He jinxed the hell out of this team by being there.

240. Matt says:

The pitch selection in this game is just sickening.

Just because your fastball is not what it once was, it doesn’t mean that you should abandon it in big situations.

Every time he gets to 2 strikes, the hitters just sit on his offspeed stuff. It’s amazing that even though this is so obvious, there is absolutely no adjustment. You have to throw the fastball to get them off of your breaking stuff. Even to the lefties, who are hanging out over the plate now against him.

241. Troll says:

Seems like the ACE gives up at least 10 hits a start . . .

242. forensic says:

11 hits and only 2 strikeouts in 6.1 innings. Add in 4 runs (in position for maybe another) and a quickly blown late lead.

Yuck!

243. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

People wonder why we’re worried about CC?

21 hits in two starts.

• Will The Thrill says:

You shouldn’t be worried. He’s a lefty and he can throw 93MPH. He just hasn’t been having it lately. He usually heats up later in the season.

244. The Real Greg says:

Of course everybody here is making their points in hindsight. In the end, the man who has won 500 games + with the Yankees went with a decision and it didn’t work.

• Troll says:

With the Yankees’ payroll and Cashman building a palace out of fetid turds and dirty hotel sheets, Helen Keller could’ve won at least 400 games whilst at the pinstriped helm. I’d actually put the blame on Girardi for keeping CC in after Casilla got on, but ESPECIALLY after the Marcocky double.

• forensic says:

Just how big is the Girardi poster over your bed anyway?

• The Real Greg says:

I have no poster. The manager makes a bad decision. It happens. Shit happens.

Now if he didn’t start to warm Kelley after the Casilla hit, then I’d be angry. But as soon as the first guy got on he got the pen up. That is exactly what I would do.

• forensic says:

When he warms someone up isn’t the end of his job.

Letting him start the inning to face Casilla (who has owned CC in his career) isn’t the end of the world, and then letting him face the lefty Markakis who he’s done ok against could be defended (though he’s given up plenty of hits to lefties, especially in this game).

But, leaving him in to face the righty Machado isn’t a great odds move. Leaving him in to face the righty Hardy (who also has great numbers against him) was just flat-out wrong with the righty warmed up and ready in the pen.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Actually, speaking as one of “everybody”, no I didn’t. Also, I believe we were talking about a mistake he made this game, not any others he’s managed.

• Matt says:

You are really clueless. It is not hindsight when it was obvious to everyone that the decision was wrong before it was even made.

Just because it was posted here afterwards, it does not mean it was hindsight. People don’t sit here and post their every thought in the comments section as it comes to them. You need to get over it.

245. Frank says:

Staked to 2 leads and couldn’t hold them. Disappointing but not all surprising.

246. Will The Thrill says:

I think it’s time I add the Orioles to the list of teams I should watch the Yankees play if I want to get myself in a bad mood. Right along with the Rays and Tigers.

• Get Phelps Up says:

It seems like you’re in a bad mood regardless of who they play.

• Will The Thrill says:

Whoa. It must be great to be able to read people’s moods only by reading things they’ve written online. I’m just commenting on a sports thread and most comments on a sports thread are either celebrations or complaints.

247. nycsportzfan says:

11hits in 6.1inn? Sloppy!

248. Pasta says:

This game is on girardi for not seeing CC was toast in the 6th inning and had nothing in the 7th.

249. The Real Greg says:

But also as I said earlier, 9.3 hits/ 9 innings coming in and it is going to go up.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

His BABIP is .308 this year with League Avg of .290 He did get rocked tonight but K/9 and BB/9 are better stats to use for comparison

250. Eddard says:

And let’s stop with this well they should trust their ace. Hiroki is the ace now and has been for quite some time. CC is a nice #2 but Hiroki has outpitched him.

251. your mom says:

3 HRs by our offense and we’re still losing late.

CC Sabathia, former ace.

252. wow says:

CC is awesome forever.

253. your mom says:

Why IBB Davis to get to Wieters? Wieters is switch hitter and can actually hit too.

254. nycsportzfan says:

At least we still got Vernon Wells to pinch hit for if need be.

255. Will The Thrill says:

Anyone think this game would’ve turned out different if Vernon Wells was started instead of Ichiro? Ichiro’s at-bats were pretty pathetic. And even though Freddy Garcia is a righty and Vernon Wells is a righty, he’s not Felix Hernandez! I think he could’ve held his own.

256. Pasta says:

CC needs to give back some money in that contract to Cano.

257. Cy Pettitte says:

bottom 3rd of their line up was 4/9 tonight against CC, that’s fucking ridiculous.

258. nycsportzfan says:

Thats strike 3 man!

259. Dalek Jeter says:

I’m a huge CC fan, but not hooking him after the Markakis double was just the wrong move.

• The Real Greg says:

Now that I can agree with. I might have done that. Or at least send the pitching coach up to talk to stall.

260. The Real Greg says:

In the end though, I am not going to blame the manager more than the player.

• The Real Greg says:

That’s why I seem to defend Girardi so much. Because in the end, he doesn’t throw the pitches. He doesn’t swing the bats.

His effect is less felt. Because let’s say Girardi did go to the pen. What if the pen blew it?

• Troll says:

And yet you credit him with 500+ wins . . . ?

• The Real Greg says:

Is Tony LaRussa going to the HOF? Why is he?

In a game like baseball, where luck plays such a major part, nobody should be blamed.

I just like to balance that out with facts.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Ah. So Girardi gets credit for his 500 wins, but no blame.

Come on, Greg. Be consistent. And I like Joe.

• The Real Greg says:

I only blame him when he does something illogical. That was not illogical by definition.

• Troll says:

“That was not illogical by definition”? WTF does that even MEAN in baseball?

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

What? For once, Troll is right. This makes no sense. I’m going to blame him because I think he should have taken CC out after he gave up the first one. Given the low amount of strikeouts and number of hits he had given up previous to giving up the tying run and putting a man in scoring position at the same time I think it’s pretty fucking fair to say that Girardi made a mistake in not taking out CC.

• Matt says:

Facts? Like the fact that righties are torching CC this year with his reduced velocity, yet he was left in to face two righties after the game was tied up with Kelley warm?

Remember, these are the same baseball writers who refused to vote Piazza into the hall of fame because he seemed suspicious, even if he had never been connected once to PEDs in his playing career.

In your view, the manager should get credit for everything. No blame if he fails because it was up to the players, but all of the credit if they succeed, because it was his moves that set it up. You can’t have it both ways.

• The Real Greg says:

I’m saying if there is going to be so much blame brought to the table that it needs to be balanced out with praise.

I think there should be no reaction. There’s too much luck involved.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Oh come on, Greg. You know this makes no sense. When the manager fucks up, we’re going to criticize him. Why are we criticizing him? Because he fucked up.

Does he deserve praise sometimes? Yes. But not when he fucks up. Chuck Knoblauch deserved a lot of praise in 98′, but when he let the ball roll in front of him in an extra inning game and started arguing with the ump, he fucked up and he was rightfully criticized for it. When people make mistakes, it’s not unfair to point them out.

• Matt says:

Girardi can do no wrong in his eyes. If he makes a terrible move and the player fails, well then the player should have bailed him out. If he makes a terrible move and the player succeeds, then he made a great decision. Deflect blame when he fails, but take credit when he succeeds.

• forensic says:

His job is to put players and the team in a better position to succeed, regardless of the outcome.

He didn’t do that there.

• The Real Greg says:

But the problem is that putting a team into a better position to succeed doesn’t guarantee success.

You can do all the right things as a manager and still lose. Who gets the blame then?

• Dalek Jeter says:

The players. If the manager does everything he’s supposed to do the players get the blame. I like to think we’re fairly even about that here. At least I am. CC is just as much culpable for allowing the hits, but to say Giarardi isn’t to blame at all then is just wrong.

• forensic says:

I said “regardless of outcome”. He puts them in a better position, if they fail to do the job then it’s on them.

Again, he failed to do his part to put them in a better position.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Greg. Please. Think things through. We’re not blaming Girardi because CC blew the lead. We’re blaming Girardi for making a bad decision, made even more obvious when it came back to bite him. If he put the team in a position to win and still lost, sure, it’s not his fault. But that’s not what happened. He messed up, and deserves blame.

It’s not rocket science. Stop with this one man defend Girardi crusade and accept the fact that Girardi fucked up.

• The Real Greg says:

In the end it was a bad decision, pure and simple.

But the problem is that we don’t know what his thought process is. If he can defend his decision with logic, then how can you blame a guy for using logic?

• Dalek Jeter says:

It’s logical to expect Ben Francisco to hit well against LHP because he’s a RHH. It’s faulty logic, but it’s logical nonetheless. Does that make it right?

• The Real Greg says:

No. The train of logic there is that Francisco hits better against lefties than righties because he’s a right hander.

• Dalek Jeter says:

But it’s still logical and “if he can defend his decision with logic, then how can you blame a guy for using logic?”

• The Real Greg says:

No. He can hit .100 against righties and .102 against lefties and the logic that I stated would be correct.

• Dalek Jeter says:

My point is, which apparently needs to be spelled out is: just because something can be argued as logical doesn’t make it right, or even defendable. Just because you find faulty logic for CC to be left in after (arbitrary point) Markakis’ AB doesn’t mean it’s right, the same way that just because there is logic in starting Francisco against LHP doesn’t make it right. The same way that just because there is logic in starting Ichiro tonight against Garcia doesn’t make it right.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Greg. Please. You’re embarrassing yourself. He was wrong. I don’t care what his “logic” was. That has nothing to do with the fact that he made an incorrect decision, which he is being rightly blamed for.

• Matt says:

Except it’s wrong. In his career, his splits are virtually identical against lefties and righties. And in this season, Travis Hafner has been better against lefties in a much bigger sample size.

It’s only logical if you ignore all of the other evidence to the contrary, and then make a series of blind assumptions about how he will perform based on heuristics.

• Matt says:

Of course he would think he made the right decision. That is not even close to a legitimate excuse. Your job as the manager is to put your team in the best position to win, not to protect your own ego.

• Matt says:

Exactly. It’s not about the outcome, but rather the decisions that were made to set it up. You can still make a bad decision and get a good outcome, but you want to make good decisions to maximize your chance of getting a good outcome. Girardi failed to do that tonight.

• The Real Greg says:

But can he defend it logically? If he can, then you can’t puncture it.

• Matt says:

Just stop. Of course he thinks he made the right decision. It doesn’t mean he made the right one.

If the only way to defend the decision is to rationalize away all of the evidence and to excuse the manager for his ignorance, then clearly he already failed by not preparing for his job.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Huh? What does that even mean?

Look, he can explain why he did what he did. He could still be wrong. If he answered “the voices in my head told me to do it” that would be completely logical if he was hearing voices in his head. It would also be a mistake.

Greg, you’re embarrassing yourself. Cut your losses and move on.

• Leg-End says:

It’s not a major thing to get worked up about, end of the day CC is the one giving it up but Girardi needs to make decision based on what he sees on the field more often.

• The Real Greg says:

IMO the only thing Girardi did wrong in that situation was not stalling more to give the pen more time to warm. He got Kelley up after the Casilla hit which is what I would have done. IF Kelley had been given more time to warm, I would then have hooked him after the Markakis hit.

261. Tom says:

So instead of getting Wells in against the lefty last inning, he now will have him face a righty and for good measure burns an extra player as he is PH’ing for the SS.

This has not been one of Joe’s better games.

262. Eddard says:

And now Wells is going to hit against Oday’s frisbee. Ichiro is a 4th outfielder. You don’t sit red hot Wells for a .240 singles hitter. It’s not like Freddy was going to overpower Wells.

So fire him then

• Troll says:

This has the makings of an epic Timmy vs. Jimmy type spectacle.

• forensic says:

I think you’ve gone off the deep end with your absurdity…

• WhittakerWalt says:

I hate when you do this. By your logic we shouldn’t criticize or comment any aspect of the games. Since none of us has the power to fire the manager, what difference does it make?

• Will The Thrill says:

If Ichiro was another player he would sit in favor of the more productive Wells. But since he’s Ichiro and our front office was stupid enough to sign him to a two year deal, Girardi has to find an excuse to play him.

263. your mom says:

Down one run only, still have a chance. O’day owns us though.

• nycsportzfan says:

They gotta get through some lefties with Jim Johnson though. Hopefully Cano or Pronk can tie this one up with a big fly!

264. Will The Thrill says:

Vernon Wells vs. Freddy Garcia > Vernon Wells vs. Darren O’ Day

265. Matt says:

Way to hustle to first Vernon. Jeez.

266. Will The Thrill says:

Aww, how cute! Gardner was trying to hit a homerun!

267. Kramerica Industries says:

Fucking ridiculous.

If they lose this game, this is unquestionably in the running for most pathetic loss of the season.

• your mom says:

Can’t agree here. Pathetic no, disappointing yes. Not like we’re getting blown out.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Disappointing and ridiculous. Not pathetic. Though getting 3-hit by Sweaty Freddie is pretty bad.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

I’d rather see them get blown out than lose like this. Losses like these piss me off more. CC was bad and Joe left him in too long, but 4 hits off Freddy Garcia is just fucking lame.

• forensic says:

I would stick with pathetic based on their performance against Garcia. Right up there with the blowout losses against Houston and Seattle.

268. nycsportzfan says:

Come on Gardner, at least make contact!

269. Eddard says:

They weren’t going to hit Oday’s frisbee and now they have to contend with Jim Johnson’s bowling ball. Unless Overbay gets under one they’re going to have trouble tying it up.

270. WhittakerWalt says:

Gardner strikes out too much for a guy with almost no homerun power. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.

• Troll says:

I’ve said it before too. And often. He should never ever be hitting anywhere NEAR the top of a lineup. I miss Austin Jackson. Oh yeah, I went there. Kiss my ass, Granderson.

• Will The Thrill says:

I’ve been saying this since 2009. Not only does he not hit enough homers but he doesn’t even drive the ball for doubles and always takes too long to steal/doesn’t steal enough.

271. Troll says:

Friggin’ O’s. Why can’t they play Double-A teams instead? At least, that way, CC’d have a chance.

272. Anderson Silva says:

This is a game dont lose with Buck as the manager. Simple like that

• forensic says:

The first batter faced by a reliever after he pulled his pretty much dominating Freddy Garcia allowed a homerun to give the Yankees the lead. That wasn’t exactly genius there either.

• anderson Silva says:

It was much better to leave CC in there to blow the game. Or to play Ichiro instead of Wells.

• forensic says:

Where did I say what Girardi did was right? I’ve been on him for his moves too. Just saying, it’s not like Showalter is some genius who never makes bad moves.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Actually, Buck did manage in this game. How’d that work out?

273. Eddard says:

It’s one thing if Girardi was just giving Wells a blow but they just had a day off yesterday. Ichiro should not be playing when the superior players are rested.

274. your mom says:

Kelley is a K machine!

275. WhittakerWalt says:

Can someone please explain the meaning of the word “irony” to John Sterling?

276. Troll says:

So who’s predicting a Red Sox come-from-behind victory to help nudge the Yankees out of sole possession of first?

277. your mom says:

LNOGY.

278. The Real Greg says:

Here comes the Dickerson fan club.

279. Dave says:

C.C. definitely not as dominant without his fastball in the 94-96 range like it used to be. What the hell happened? Maybe he needs his Captain Crunch back. I know Girardi has a box in his office.

280. your mom says:

Markakis will be sitting slider here.

281. your mom says:

HR hitters are up. All we need is one.

282. Troll says:

What am I missing? Why is Nix in for Gardner?

283. nycsportzfan says:

Were in need of a robbie rocket here! Come on bombers!

284. The Real Greg says:

Now I want to be clear. I am defending Girardi letting CC start that inning. I am not defending him leaving CC in there to face Hardy to give up the go ahead score. Because by that point it was clear that CC was spent.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

But what if Joe defended his decision with “logic”? Would you revoke your criticism?

• The Real Greg says:

No because he had the bullpen warming, JJ Hardy’s a righty, so he can’t use that excuse. He was backed into a corner.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Nonsense. Joe might defend his position with “logic” you didn’t think of. It doesn’t matter how valid your criticism is if he uses “logic”.

• The Real Greg says:

I’d like to see what logic he could come up with.

Anyway it’s moot now as Travis Hafner has gotten him a reprieve.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

First of all, it isn’t actually moot. He still fucked up. But besides that, what if he said the voices in his head told him to do it? And they’ve never been wrong before. It would be illogical to assume that this would be the one time they were wrong.

Faulty logic, you say? Doesn’t matter. He used logic. So you would have to revoke your criticism.

You want to know what makes more sense? Judging whether or not his decisions were right or not. I really don’t care what his logic was if he fucked up.

285. Will The Thrill says:

We need Jesus Montero here to hit two homeruns off Jim Johnson.

286. nycsportzfan says:

Wow, Robbie got one to drive there and missed it!

287. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I know people always claim racism when people say this. But Cano jogs. And he really shouldn’t. He’s a professional. Run out the damn play.

288. nycsportzfan says:

Swung at ball4. Shit!

289. Will The Thrill says:

You just had to swing Cano, didn’t you? Shit.

290. Wheels says:

Come on Pronk!

291. Kramerica Industries says:

PRONK!

292. Dalek Jeter says:

PRONK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

293. The Real Greg says:

Oh my goodness!

294. your mom says:

AAAAAnd THERE IT IS MOFOs!!!!

295. Rolling Doughnut says:

PRONK!!

296. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

PRONK-AGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

297. Get Phelps Up says:

Pronk!!!!

298. Cy Pettitte says:

PRONK PRONK PRONK!!!!

299. Will The Thrill says:

Yay Hafner! We better not lose this game now or it’s really gonna sting.

300. Leg-End says:

PRONK, had a feeling he was gonna do that.

301. nycsportzfan says:

PRONK!!! HOLY SHIT!!

302. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Weiter’s reaction alone told me it was gone.

303. Rolling Doughnut says:

This team hits way too many homers.

304. Get Phelps Up says:

Yankee Stadium South is coming to life.

305. Vintage says:

Feed Him More!

306. Dalek Jeter says:

Jimmy is going all Valverde on Showalter. I like it :)

307. tugger says:

Boom!!

308. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Man, we hit too many homers.

• Dalek Jeter says:

There really is no such thing.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Nonsense. If we had made a gritty, gutty comeback, there would still have been men on base, meaning it would be better than a HR. QED.

309. SeventhAce says:

TOO MANY HOMERUNS!!!

310. your mom says:

WTF GRANDY?????

311. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Wow @ Grandy. Just…..wow.

312. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Terrible at bat Grandyman.

313. nycsportzfan says:

Granderson..lol

314. Cy Pettitte says:

Cano and Grandy giving Johnson gifts

315. The Real Greg says:

Oh, Curtis

316. Rolling Doughnut says:

Granderson.Awful

317. tugger says:

cut grandy some slack fellas – he’s just getting back in swing of things. first time on this board and want to kill myself with all the negative bs

• Will The Thrill says:

Because he doesn’t strikeout alot when he’s completely healthy.

• Dalek Jeter says:

This? This is nothing. You want negative, check out LoHud’s board.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Actually, don’t. If you want to kill yourself now, that’ll drive you over the edge.

• Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

No doubt. Crazy bitch is back in the game thread stirring everything up again. Claiming anyone with a twitter account is an egomaniac. That psycho drives everyone bat shit crazy. They think they are the ultimate Yankee fan blog too. Funny.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

You’re kidding right?

318. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Sitting on the bus and saw that the game was tied. Put the most evil grin on haha. Way 2 go Haf!

319. Eddard says:

If Robertson can hold them for an inning maybe we’ll be lucky enough to get Strop in the 10th. They don’t even have to swing the bat against him and he’ll get himself into trouble.

320. nycsportzfan says:

Time for DROB to stiffle these birds!

321. nycsportzfan says:

So would Nuno be available to pitch outta pen now that they decided to skip him in rotation?

322. The Real Greg says:

Well at least with Wells batting 8th, the bottom of the lineup is no longer a waste of time.

323. tugger says:

I love Adams – he’s gonna stick

324. nycsportzfan says:

Dang, i wanted a 1,2,3!! So nervous with Davis against DROB right here.

325. Dalek Jeter says:

K-Robertson.

326. your mom says:

Sit the F down Davis.

327. Leg-End says:

Nice inning D-Rob, so much win when hes got that curve working.

328. Wheels says:

Baseball is fun.

329. Eddard says:

Please bring in Strop, Buck.

330. Dalek Jeter says:

I remember the Yanks killing Strop a couple times last season. Lets hope it continues.

331. Get Phelps Up says:

Alright Ichiro.

332. Cy Pettitte says:

Ichiro picked a good time to get his one hit of the night

333. Leg-End says:

Theres the real Ichiro.

334. Kramerica Industries says:

About time Ichiro did something.

335. Alkaline says:

I could only imagine Mike’s reaction. :D

336. tugger says:

ichiro looks skinnier

337. The Real Greg says:

HE DID SOMETHING

338. fabricio says:

its the ichi man!!! fuck hess

339. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Ichi being useful.

Please don’t squander this.

340. Dalek Jeter says:

Great…I mean I’m grateful he Ichiro is on base, but that just bought him another 3 weeks to a month of regular ABs.

341. your mom says:

Arigatoo sir, useless no more?

342. nycsportzfan says:

Ichiro with the leadoff double!! He destroyed that thing!

343. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Vern Baby!!!!!!

344. Leg-End says:

Vernon!

345. Cy Pettitte says:

Wells!!!! so clutch.

346. Dalek Jeter says:

VERNON!!!!

347. The Real Greg says:

And Chris Dickerson loses his fan club.

348. fabricio says:

yes!!!!!! fuck yessss!! wells almost rung the bells!!!!

349. Get Phelps Up says:

Vernon!!

350. Kramerica Industries says:

Vernon Wells continues to just be fucking money.

351. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Mo time, mothafuckas’.

352. tugger says:

good call by someone asking for Strop

353. SDB says:

I’m late tonight, but 1) For Prussia! 2) HAFNER!, and 3) Nicely done Wells! Vern baby Vern! (that should totally be Sterling’s call right now.)

354. Eddard says:

It never fails, Strop comes in and good things happen for the Yankees! Vernon should have been doing that all night long.

355. forensic says:

Ichiro and Wells!!!

Can’t help but say again those are the two I would’ve started today (though at this point it has nothing to do with Garcia, I just couldn’t resist).

:-)

• Dalek Jeter says:

With Gardner in Center I guess?

• forensic says:

Yeah, Gardner was never part of the debate. It was Granderson, Ichiro, and/or Wells.

• Dalek Jeter says:

We’ve discussed at length my feeling on Ichiro, but he does have really good numbers against Freddy. Even though they’re from when both guys were very different players, I probably agree, but just saying, even a 4th Outfielder starts sometimes.

356. nycsportzfan says:

Wellsy!

357. The Real Greg says:

So in the end, Wells and Ichiro were the correct combination to get it done.

358. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Good bunt, my man.

359. JonS says:

Should’ve started Wells. Game would’ve been over after he dominated Freddy. haha

360. your mom says:

“Yankees suck, Yankees suck!” LOL

361. The Real Greg says:

Can Nix make Ma and Pa happy?

362. forensic says:

Yankees announcers can’t help but mention when a guy is at the plate with a man on 3rd and less than two outs, that the guy at the plate is a pretty good bunter.

All this despite there having been no hint whatsoever of a desire to attempt either kind of squeeze play at any point this season.

363. Dalek Jeter says:

I’d do the same thing if I was Markakis. Catching that means a run.

364. SDB says:

Sigh. Nix. Damnit.

365. Cy Pettitte says:

does Casilla have a ball magnet in his shirt or what?

366. your mom says:

Man, I hate Casilla!!!!

367. teddy says:

so 2 straiht doubles and you bunt . nix can’t hit

368. Leg-End says:

You want to pitch to Hafner? Go right ahead.

369. Stratman9652 says:

Too lazy to actually check the game logs, but it seems like the Yankees have played extra innings in their first game in Camden Yards for the past few years now.

370. Dalek Jeter says:

Lmao…Strop can’t even control the ball for a IBB.

371. Get Phelps Up says:

Do it again Pronk.

372. Anderson Silva says:

Nix, incredibly shitty professional baseball player

373. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Nix.

374. your mom says:

So Brian Matisyahu is a reliever now.

375. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Pronk!!!

platoon player

376. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Travis. Motherfucking. Hafner.

377. your mom says:

LOL! Buck fail!

378. Wheels says:

Haha

379. Cy Pettitte says:

Pronkmania! hooray insurance runs

380. fabricio says:

pronk is the man!!! the orioles have been Hafed tonight!!!!

381. Get Phelps Up says:

Pronk is such a beast.

382. Rolling Doughnut says:

Big night for Pronk!

383. JonS says:

Hafner with the big “Fuck You Showalter!!”

384. forensic says:

Atta boy Hafner!

Way to pick up the nearly useless Nix and get a very nice insurance run.

385. Tom says:

I’m confused… Hafner can hit lefties?

386. Matt says:

Who knew? Lefty batters can hit lefty pitchers? I hope Girardi is paying attention.

387. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

YES, take that pigeons!!

388. your mom says:

Not sure I’m looking forward to Tex’s return.

389. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

The Orioles have been Pronked tonight.

390. Get Phelps Up says:

It’s Mo time.

391. Robinson Tilapia says:

Believe in the Yankees.

392. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Let’s get this over with Mo.

393. forensic says:

Has this thread slowed to a crawl for anyone else too?

Anyway, one more Mo!

394. Wheels says:

Awesome

395. forensic says:

Nice!

Wasn’t pretty, but it’s still a win.

396. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

How the Hell did we win this game. Seriously, how?

I just don’t get this team at all.

397. Cy Pettitte says:

I was so pissed when CC blew the 3-2 lead but this win was probably more satisfying than if they just held on and won 3-2.

398. Robinson Tilapia says:

CC bleh bleh Ichiro bleh bleh

The only thing that matters is that the New York Yankees won. Again. Team sport, bitches.

399. Get Phelps Up says:

I think we can safely declare this the best win of the season. What a great fucking comeback.

400. Pseudoyanks says:

Please don’t retire Mo!

401. your mom says:

Nice win. So much for the pathetic loss.

402. Eddard says:

The streak lives! The Yankees have still yet to lose a ballgame this season in which they score first.

403. Tom says:

Would have like for CC to pitch to the win but:

Extra inning loss… check
    3rd blown save in a row for Johnson…. check
    2nd consecutive loss after leading after 7 innings (they were like 100+ wins in a row)… check

Regresssion – she’s a cold hearted bitch!

404. Pseudoyanks says:

Still undefeated when scoring first.

405. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I love how they showed their record in one run games when this wasn’t a one run game.

406. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

The Win……FTW!!!!!!!!!

407. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I really need to check out that Orioles blog, Camden something or other.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Their reaction in the triple play game was pretty great.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

This one is a beauty too. The section of the thread where PRonk tied the game is priceless.

• forensic says:

I thought Mike said Camden Crazies was basically defunct in the series preview?

Camden Chat.

• forensic says:

Ah, haven’t been there. Thought maybe it was a smaller site and not that good since Mike seemed pretty unenthusiastic about it.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Oh, it’s pretty good. I suggest you check it out.

• forensic says:

Maybe, don’t typically go to other teams blogs much. Mostly just reading epic threads after the fact, such as The Collapse from 2011.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

That’s what I mean. I suggest you check out their game thread NOW.

FYI, the 2012 O’s are their dream team. They virtually worship them. And the Yankees beat them both in regular season standings and in the playoffs.

408. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

And the Rays and Sox lose. As good a night as can be asked for.