May

Overbay carries Yankees to win over Royals

Source: FanGraphs

The bullpen was short on Friday, so the offense did its part to make sure the Yankees would have enough breathing room in the late innings. The result was big 11-6 over the Royals in the series opener. They’ve won three of four to start the eight-game road trip. Let’s recap…

• Two Two-Run Shots: The Yankees jumped out to a four-run lead in the second inning thanks to two-run homers from Ichiro Suzuki and Lyle Overbay. Overbay’s was an absolute bomb with that no-doubt sound off the bat. Travis Hafner (walk) and Jayson Nix (double) deserve props for reaching base ahead of the homers. It was a fine start to the game.
  • Phlopped: After four strong starts, Phil Hughes took a beating at the hands on Friday. He allowed six runs in his 5.2 innings of work, including a pair of homers. One of those homers was a three-run shot by Jarrod Dyson (!), a slap-hitting speedster. They were the first long balls Phil allowed in three starts. The good news is that he threw a first pitch strike to 23 of 26 batters faced, which is ridiculous. Still, six runs in 5.2 innings is six runs in 5.2 innings. Shake it off and do better next time.
  • Lead Re-Taken: The game was knotted at five before the Yankees exploded for five runs in the sixth inning. Chris Nelson plated two with a single while Overbay (double off a lefty), Brett Gardner (triple), and Robinson Cano (single) also had run-scoring hits in the inning. Seven of the first eight batters in the sixth reached base. Overbay drove in another run with a single in the ninth, giving him five ribbies on the night. Well done.
  • Whiffpen: How about Shawn Kelley? He struck out six of the seven men he faced in 2.1 perfect innings, raising his season strikeout rate to 14.73 K/9 (38.7 K%). Boone Logan struck out two in a perfect ninth, and overall the pitching staff retired the final eleven men they faced, nine on strikeouts. That is shutting it down.
  • Leftovers: Vernon Wells and Hafner went a combined 0-for-9 with a walk while the rest of the lineup went 16-for-34 (.471) with five doubles, a triple, and two homers … the Yankees scored double-digit runs against a non-Indians team for the first time this season … last but certainly not least, this was Joe Girardi‘s 500th win as Yankees manager. Congrats to him.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights while FanGraphs has some other stats no one cares about. ESPN has the up to the minute standings. These same two teams will meet again Saturday night — yes, a dreaded Saturday night game — when Andy Pettitte gives it a go against Shields.

Categories : Game Stories

1. WhittakerWalt says:

Weren’t we supposed to get swept on this road trip?

2. Jeepster says:

just what the doctor ordered for the bullpen workload…

3. vicki says:

the eleven people on earth who recently picked up loverbay for their fbb teams are having a party tonight.

4. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I came to a revelation today:

I don’t care about getting a “relaxing” win after a lot of close games, or not scoring enough runs, or giving up too many runs, or blowing leads, or having to make comebacks too much, as long as we win the game.

That is literally all I care about. We could win every game by a single run, give up 6 runs a game, or make me “nervous” every game as long as we win.

That’s it. That is all I care about. Nothing else matters to me at all.

• Bob Buttons says:

Realistically keep winning by one run is unsustainable, so it is much nicer to win by a larger margin.

That and I don’t think it’d be too enjoyable hearing “your team got friggin lucky this year”, esp. from Os fans.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Why is it nicer to win by a larger margin? The win counts no matter how many runs we score. IF we defy the odds and have a low run differential, as long as we win who cares?

• mustang says:

OMG! A voice of reason.

This should be how everyone thinks because after all the break downs, graphs, projection, predictions, and all the sabermetrics bullshit the only stats that matters are WINS. Win enough to make the playoffs then 11 or 12 wins to the championship.

Don’t care how it happens or who is wearing the Yankees uniform when it happens.

JUST KEEP WINNING!!!!

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I’m not even going to bother.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Bother with what? He’s absolutely right.

• mustang says:

Thank you.

It’s not rocket science people just want to make so.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Remember the kid who used to walk around telling your favorite band sucked, but his favorite band was one no one ever, ever heard of? Yeah.

Same principle. You must be DISCRIMINATE all the time. You can’t just fucking enjoy it.

Phil Hughes sucked last night. Phil Hughes pitched great in a couple of no-decisions earlier. Phil Hughes got the win tonight. Market correction.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“DISCRIMINATE.”

I had a long night last night, and not in the “woo-hoo! fun!” way.

• mustang says:

Sorry to hear that, but like you said market correction. It doesn’t work just for baseball.

Hang in there.

5. jjyank says:

Go Ichiro

6. Bob Buttons says:

In honor of Overbay’s good night.

7. Havok9120 says:

This was a good ‘un. Hughes could’ve been better, but I’ll take the W.

W’s for Prussia.

8. dkidd says:

ichiro ops up to .720

i would have signed for that

9. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Overbay Overload. I’m picking some good games to miss, damn it.

10. vicki says:

hope nuney’s back tomorrow. he’s owned shields (in 14 ab); maybe this’ll be just the thing to start him up at the plate. here are some other interesting batter vs. pitching numbers as well (nixie’s 2 for 4 with two homeruns??!).

11. dkidd says:

didn’t it come down to the wire whether overbay was even going to make the team?

this team is fun

• vicki says:

(it sure looked like juan rivera would get the job.)

• forensic says:

Well, Rivera was basically a shoe-in for most of the Spring, but once Overbay was brought on board in that last week it was pretty clear that he was then going to make the team.

Better defensively, lefty, unusable against lefties but Rivera is unusable against righties, of which there are more. All things favored Overbay.

His BA and OBP are maybe actually touch lower than you’d expect prior to the season (but pretty close). It’s his power that is far out of the norm for him and keeping him well enough afloat, but it’s possibly/likely unsustainable. After tonight it’s at a career high SLG for him at .509.

Thankfully, he hopefully won’t have to sustain it for a whole lot longer, maybe just a month or so, if Tex would make some progress sometime soon.

12. BigBlueAL says:

Congrats on Girardi for his 500th win as Yankee manager.

I was not a big fan of his at all early in his Yankee tenure, hell even after winning it all in 2009 I still hated the way he managed this team. When he was hired many people here were all excited to be having a new age manager who is smart and relies on stats unlike the dinosaur Torre. So I had high hopes for him and he didnt impress me at all in his first 3 years here.

But Ive grown to respect and very much appreciate the way he has managed this team the past 3 years. We still can get annoyed with some of his lineup decisions but hell we would be doing that with any manager. He isnt under contract for next year so not sure if he will be back or not but I hope he does return and he certainly earned the right to remain the manager here.

Here is hoping he wins another 500 games as Yankee manager in the next few years.

13. GreenArm says:

Hey curious what you guys think. Has Overbay played his way on to the team, no matter what? OK i get that it would seem I’m saying this from a few clutch plays or whatnot. But he plays a very good 1B and does have (at least somewhat of) a bat.

Can he play other IF positions? Forgive me, but my knowledge of the guy was quite limited prior to this year. (save a couple of highlights) Could he be a nice b/u infielder? AGAIN, not for his bat. I’m not saying because he’s hit decent enough that he should stay on for that, but who knows about Tex, and if he CAN indeed play 3B or dare I say SS, I feel he should be one of the last to go when we get healthy. OR hell, what about faking OF. (YES, i know we’ll have a ton of OFers, but Boesch and Franscisco cannot leave soon enough, so…)

I know much of this is depending on Tex ACTUALLY able to come back this year. But just figured I’d post here and see what folks thought. (ha if they even see this question)

*please gimme a mile for misspellings and lack of knowledge. it’s late and i can’t sleep so my brain is just not working correctly.

Anyways, any incites would be wonderful. Thanks fools!

• forensic says:

Overbay has never played a single position other than 1B in his major league career. In the minors, he hasn’t played anything other than 1B since 30 games in LF in 2001 with AA.

I would feel very comfortable saying there’s no way he could play any of the other positions on the field (even the corner OF again). There’s typically a reason guys end up at 1B, and I’m sure he also fits that criteria.

So, once Tex is back, no, there is basically no way to keep him on the roster. Tex will (in all likelihood) easily out-hit him and he’s better than Overbay defensively anyway (based on the eye-test), so there’s really no use to having him on the roster since he can’t play anywhere else, isn’t on Hafner’s level at DH, and obviously isn’t a PRer or anything like that.

He’s had a few big games and big hits, but let’s not go overboard on the whole package. Despite Tex’s clear decline over the last few seasons, he’s still a superior player to what you can get from Overbay (unless the wrist injury REALLY knocks him down further).

• GreenArm says:

Ah, ok, fair enough. I know I could just have looked at BB-Ref, but I’m beyond tired. HAHA, it took enough for me to write this post.

And OH exactly. I wasn’t trying to say this guy has been the teams savior. (as someone below suggested that, basically) Absolutely want Tex back and healthy as you can’t really even compare him and Overbay. Just figured I’d see if there was any sort of chance (as in, IF he had played a grip at SS or 3B… something like that). (And hell, how this season has gone thus far, even WITH the MAJOR success we’ve had considering how we all felt going into this season, I figured It was worth a look.)

Thanks bud!

• vicki says:

he’s never played an inning at any other position; obviously we can’t carry a back-up first baseman (and we already have a lefthanded dh). he’s doing the front office a huge service though, in the event of teix’s return.

• GreenArm says:

Yep absolutely. I just didn’t know (and am too sleepy, beat, to check BB-REF) Weak, I know.

And YES, that he is. Not like we’re gonna get a superstar in return, but man has he outplayed what we (all?) thought we were getting!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Doug Mientkiewicz takes offense.

I’d LOVE to carry a BU1B. LOVE TO, but it’s mostly because I have a strange attachment to defense-first first-basemen. I agree they’re a roster drain, though.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yes and no.

Yes, it’d be very sad to see him go, and he’s redirected his career.

Now try building me a balanced 25 man roster with both tex and Overbay.

The DFA was signed the moment he played his first game.

• Anderson Silva says:

If he keeps that nice production going we just might be able to get something back for him instead of straight up release. Maybe.

14. Jenny C says:

Maybe we don’t need Tex.

15. Wiheels says:

I was out drinking, missed pretty much the whole thing. We won again! Hahaha.

16. Nick says:

somebody made a point during the chat that Kelley had awesome k numbers

17. Bavarian Yankee says:

vintage Phil is finally back, huh? But so is the Yankees’ offense.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Hey, he didn’t get the win in some games he pitched well enough to win. Consider it a market correction and hope for better next time.

18. TomH says:

How about Shawn Kelley?

That was a Shawn Kelley impersonator.

19. RuralBob says:

So far, I find this team a lot less exasperating to watch than last year’s. Maybe it’s “blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed” but it seems that watching Nix strike out is less bothersome than watching Swisher do it. I’ll see how I feel in a few months…

20. TomH says:

I like this: ““blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.