Jun

Sabathia carries Yankees to sweep over Indians

Man, it had been a while since the Yankees swept a three-game series. In fact, the last time they did it was the Royals series in Kansas City about a month ago. Wednesday afternoon’s 6-4 win over the Indians gave New York an acceptable (barely) 4-4 homestand.

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

Muscle Up
The Yankees jumped all over Cleveland starter Corey Kluber early on, scoring all six of their runs in the first two innings. In fact, they had a 4+ run inning for the third straight game after coming into the series with just five such innings on the season. Five of those eight 4+ run innings have come against the Indians.

Travis Hafner got the scoring started with a monster two-run homer into the second deck in right field in the first inning, taking advantage of an error by the usually sure-handed Michael Bourn, who dropped a fly ball. It was a bomb, and the way Pronk sheepishly looked away and dropped his bat while breaking into his trot made it look like he was embarrassed he hit a ball that hard. He felt bad for it.

An inning later, the power-hittin’ Brett Gardner jumped all over a hanging slider in a 1-2 count for a three-run homer to right. Most of his homers this year have been on first pitch fastballs — the kind that make you think he went up there hunting for one and just let it rip — but this was a mistake pitch he muscled out with a two-strike swing. It was impressive and, frankly, unexpected.

Kluber settled down and the Yankees didn’t score again, but six runs in the first two innings is a pretty great start. It gave CC Sabathia some breathing room and put all the pressure on the Indians because they had to play catch-up. The Bombers scored 17 runs in the three-game series, or two more than they scored in their previous eight games combined. Yeah.

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

A Win And A Save
The box score absolutely does not do Sabathia’s performance justice. It wasn’t until there were two outs in the fourth that the Indians hit a ball out of the infield, and it wasn’t until there were two outs in the fifth that the Indians had a man reach base. Only once did Sabathia throw more than 14 pitches in an inning and never once did he throw more than 16 pitches in an inning. Twenty-three of his 27 outs were recorded on the infield.

Sabathia’s only mistake was catching too much of the plate with a first pitch slider to Yan Gomes — the Cleveland backup catcher hit the ball out to left for a two-run homer in the seventh. The Tribe’s two sixth inning runs was a death by a thousand cuts rally. It went infield single, ground ball single through the hole on a hit-and-run, ground ball single passed a diving Mark Teixeira, fielder’s choice. Nothing hit in the air. Two runs is two runs, but the Indians hardly smacked CC around that inning.

A whopping 84 of his 116 pitches were strikes (72%), and that includes 14 swings and misses. Sabathia averaged 91.9 mph with his fastball and topped out at 93.9 according to PitchFX, which is a touch below where he was last start but better than his season averages. In fact, his fastball velocity has been trending upward over the last month or so. I doubt he’ll ever regularly sit 93-95 mph again, but that is encouraging.

Most importantly, Sabathia gave the Yankees innings. All of them. The bullpen had been used heavily the last few days, particularly David Robertson and Mariano Rivera, so giving them a nice day off before the cross-country flight was huge. CC’s efficiency and willingness to pound the zone relentlessly made that happen. Well done, big man.

Leftovers
Everyone in the starting lineup reached base at least once except … Vernon Wells. Who woulda guessed it? He’s now sitting on an 87 wRC+ after putting up an 88 wRC+ last year. So yeah, he officially stinks. Gardner (single, homer), Hafner (homer, walk), and Chris Stewart (single, walk) were the only players to reach base twice.

Wanna hear a scary stat? The Yankees scored 49 runs in seven games against Cleveland this year (7.0 per game) and just 191 in 52 games against everyone else (3.7 per game). The offense needs to pick it up because the Bombers don’t play the Tribe again in 2013.

Box Score, WPA Graph & Standings
MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the WPA graph, and ESPN the updated standings. The Rays won while the Red Sox lost, so they are one back and one up on the Yankees in the loss column.

Source: FanGraphs

Up Next
The Yankees are off to Seattle to kick off a four-game weekend series with the Mariners and ten-game West Coast trip. Phil Hughes and Aaron Harang kick off that series Thursday night.

Categories : Game Threads

1. jsbrendog says:

ooof. lyle over vernon. man hahaha that is depressing if your name is vernon.

2. Manny's BanWagon says:

Nice to see Sabathia have another strong start. Needless to say, he’s probably the most important player on the team.

Too bad that Wells dead cat bounce has seemingly come to an end. The Yankees only got about a good quarter season out of him. Lets hope he can get hot again this year, hopefully in October.

3. Zanath says:

I’m most concerned about Cano. He has looked pretty bad lately, we really need him to get going again.

• OldYanksFan says:

Frankly, I hope the Yanks make the PS with Cano compiling a .800 PS. The talk of him getting Pujols type money was crazy. A down year this year could save the Yanks $60+m and 2 years of contract length. 8/$150m might be possible and I don’t think Robbie is worth much more.

Over 8 years, Robbie has a career .854 OPS and a 4.75 bWAR/yr.
      Should we expect the 8 years from age 31-38 to be much better?

He is still an elite 2nd baseman, but maybe an .800 OPS will make GMs think twice before offering $180+m.

• shittyshittybangbang says:

Thank you. Ive been in the minority concerning cano and his monetary worth. Hes very good, but not elite. An elite player steps up his game as needed, and is a leader. Not protracted slump, jogging to first base guy. Hes on the wrong side of thirty, and judging from the history of bad contracts, yanks might want to be careful. 7 years @ 18.

• Laz says:

He is a great hitter, but I don’t consider him in the same league as Pujols, Votto, Cabrera, etc.

• jjyank says:

Agreed. Cano is my favorite player, but he’s not the best hitter out there. Which is why I’ve always argued that all the $200 mil talk is silly. I really believe he’s going to be closer to the Kinsler and Utley contracts than the A-Rod and Pujols contracts.

• Darren says:

Cano’s ability at second base is one of the best things I’ve ever seen, but I can’t imagine ever feeling like he’s my favorite player, considering the lack of hustle.

• jjyank says:

I don’t think the perceived lack of hustle exists to the degree that most do, and I don’t think it affects anything.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

By “not the best hitter” that’s sort of like saying that the Empire State Building “isn’t the world’s tallest tower”, though.

I mean, 200 mil talk should always be silly, but I can see him getting those sorts of offers.

• Pat D says:

Pujols isn’t such a great hitter these days.

• OldYanksFan says:

Pujol’s career OPS when he signed his contract was over 1.000 (!!!!!!!!!!) with 400 HRs at age 30. If his contracts goes bad, it is just a statement about the risk of long contracts.

Unfortunately, there are insane GMs out there (7/$142m for Carl Crawford!!!!!!), so someone will grossly overpay for Cano unless he has a real sub-standard year this year.

4. Bob Buttons says:

Let’s face it, Vernon was one of the reason early on that we were doing okay. We got what most of us expected out of him. Credit to the man who was useful when we really needed him to be (back when Ichiro was not hitting his weight and Grandy was out, the first time). He can be an occasional contributor who maybe have a good night or two every handful of games, no complaints here.

5. Eddard says:

I missed the game due to work. I think Wells and Ichiro should platoon. Who would have thought Overbay would beat them out for a regular outfield spot.

Robbie needs to get going again. He’s got Teixera behind him now. The talk is always that Robbie could win a batting title and he slumps down to .279. He should be a regular .300 hitter with how good he is.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

Robbie is currently has 65 hits in 233 at-bats. A .300 average would be 70 hits.

He’s had a rough couple of games but I’ll guarantee you he is back around .300 soon enough.

• WhittakerWalt says:

This is one those “lies, damn lies, and statistics” kind of answers. Cano looks nothing like a .300 hitter right now.* We all know it’s just a few singles here and there that would do the trick. The issue is that his ABs look almost uniformly awful right now. If his approach was still great and he was just hitting in terrible luck, that would be one thing. It’s his approach that’s bad. He’s trying to yank everything out of the ballpark. Good Robbie uses the whole field. Bad Robbie grounds out to second.

*all of which could change in a week’s time

• nycsportzfan says:

Cano’s way late on everything. Looks either tired or unmotivated(would be crazy this important of a time for him). Hes swinging at alot of bad pitches as well. Hes gotta be more patient, and hes not the best eyed hitter anyways, certainly not in the miguel cabrera, albert pujols category of good eye.

But hes still really good. I’d give em 5yrs 100million. I’m sorry, thats plenty of doe and enough yrs as well. He’d stilil have a chance to cash in on a 3yr 30-60mill contact again if he does well most of his contract and has at least a solid last yr in contract(290 22 95) or something. And Robbie himself can deny the 800OPS and 854overall to this point, which is mostly prime yrs of his career, so 100million at 5yrs to me would be fair to cano as it will give him triple digit millions and also a chance to cash in one more time.

I do realize hes getting more then a 100million though. I just think all things considered, that would be fair and the most i’d offer.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Of course he’s still good. I hope they sign him. I just thought it was kind of an understatement to say he was just having a couple of bad games. He’s had more like a bad three weeks in a row.

6. LarryM Fl says:

Keep pushing Vernon out there. You can not play an lefty hitting OF most of the time. Ichiro, Overbay need to be rested especially against LHPs.

He will come around.

• pop says:

ichiro wOBA/wRC+ vs. LHP, and vs. RHP:

2013 .354/120, .238/42
      2012 .282/80, .310/97
      2011 .290/85, .277/76

i’d say he is equal vs. lefties or righties… but he is not producing like a full time player should… gardy and grandy should get the most time with ichiro/wells/overbay splitting the remainder…

• trr says:

While it seems we have no choice but to play Wells due to his RH bat , he’s been ice effin’ cold lately and we may have to keep running out an OF of Gardner/Suzuki/Overbay…far from ideal. Need more from Robby, Youk, and whoever the hell else can chip in with a clutch hit now and then. Meanwhile thank God for the pitching. Hoping Hughes can hold it together tomorrow.

7. forensic says:

Mike Axisa advocating for starting Ichiro Suzuki MORE often?

In other, less shocking, news, pigs just flew by my window.

8. King George says:

After watching some of the innings I missed (thanks DirecTV and MLB.tv), CC looked much better than the stat sheets indicate. He looked good. Glad to see CC figuring it out. Before I left he looked dominant, and when I saw he gave up runs, I figured the worst. He made one poor pitch. The other at-bats were well handled. The big guy might be turning a corner here.

• hogsmog says:

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioning he was perfect through four. Also, his velocity was back down at 91-92, but he was doing great. I think that’s the most important part of this outing; he’s learning to get outs with a slower setup.

• jjyank says:

As I mentioned below, I didn’t see the game. But I have been involved in several prior conversations on RAB regarding CC. If CC’s velocity is down for good (which it may or may not be), I think he’s doing a hell of a job working through it, and I expect him to figure it out at some point. CC is a pitcher, not a thrower, as the old saying goes. Maybe he can learn to do what Moose did in 2008, but without that painful 2007 adjustment season.

9. Chasing Headley says:

Hopefully any Chris Perez to the Yankees trade rumors/ideas are put to rest now.

10. jjyank says:

Fate would have it that when I finally start working an AM shift, the Yankees have a day game and the next road trip features games that will start when I am supposed to go to bed. Such is life.

Without watching today’s game, I am encouraged. CC seems like he’s starting a nice run, and that’s huge for the Yanks. If Andy can get back into form too, it’s obviously a huge boost.

Since I missed the earlier threads, I’m going to weigh in on the A-Rod stuff here. I just don’t care. I like A-Rod. He has a high baseball IQ, and he’s done a lot of things that say (to me, anyway) that he is a pretty great teammate. I don’t give a shit what color his lips appear to be or how vain his personality may be. For those that actively root for him to never come back, I don’t consider you real fans. I know many people will take issue with that, but my opinion won’t be changed. He’s a Yankee, and I root for him to come back as productive as possible. If he comes back and he’s terrible after the second hip surgery, that changes things. But right now, all we know is that the last time he was on a baseball field, he was an above average player. If you want to never see him again, then I lose respect for your opinions. That’s just how I see it. MLB doesn’t seem to have much in the way of evidence, and I’m very firmly in the “innocent until proven guilty” crowd. The Biogenisis guy cooperating seems to be more of “I wanna save my ass any way I can” than it does “I want to bring down the cheaters”.

If A-Rod is proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he took steroids a second time, I will change my opinion on this. But never beforehand.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Actually, the last time we saw Arod, he had to be benched in the playoffs for Chavez and looked totally shot with a postseason OPS of .311 after having a .650 OPS in September and he was very likely PED enhanced last season.

Now he’s a year older coming back from another surgery on a hip that wasn’t even causing him any symptoms and unless he’s the dumbest motherfucker who ever lived, off of PEDs so it’s highly debatable he’s gonna even be a league average 3B man upon his return.

Though I highly doubt its Possible, if somehow the Yankees were able to get out from under his hideous albatross of a contract or at least recoup $15+ million from a suspension that can be reinvested like they did when the got money back after Teixiera was injured, I’m all in favor of that.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Whoever you or any other anonymous internet blogger does or does not consider to be “real Yankees fans ” doesn’t mean jack shit to put it bluntly.

• jjyank says:

Of course it doesn’t mean jack shit. It’s my opinion though, so it means something to me.

Using the small playoff sample is not going to change my mind. We was still above average in 2012, and we don’t know if he was actually on PEDs. Innocent until proven guilty.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

See, you make a lot of good posts and I respect your opinion, but I just can’t accept some of your logic here.

Not even touching the steroid thing (I agree MLB doesn’t seem to have much evidence and Bosch is trying save his own ass) how can you say someone is not a “real fan” because they would prefer a particular player not come back? You can root like crazy for a team and not like a particular player on that team. For example, I’m a Knicks fan but I can’t stand J.R. Smith.

I personally would like to see the Yankees move on from A-Rod. Obviously that’s next to impossible with his contract. That being said, when he does make it back I’m obviously going to root for him to do well and produce for the team. The only difference here is that you are a fan of Alex and I am not. When he eventually comes back and plays again we as Yankees fans will both be rooting for him to put up numbers for the team, to do otherwise would be asinine and would constitute, in my opinion, not being a “real fan.”

All that being said, who is to say what a “real fan” is? You and I and everyone else here are just schmucks posting on an online message board. I have to agree with MBW’s last statement. I would hope you would not disregard any posts I make on this board simply because I don’t like Alex Rodriguez, just as I will continue to respect your opinions posted here (most of which I agree with).

• jjyank says:

That’s fair. Like I said above, it’s my opinion, it doesn’t mean I’m right.

Personally, I don’t know how anyone can root for a player to never play for them again if he can produce at an above average rate. I think you skipped over the part where I said “If he comes back and he’s terrible after the second hip surgery, that changes things.” If A-Rod, a year older and coming back from surgery, is permanently finished as a positive contributor to the offense, then I would want him gone too. But we don’t know that yet, and I feel like most of the people that want him gone think that way because of off the field stuff. I want A-Rod back, and I want him to be productive. If he comes back and is toast as a player, of course I would want him off the team. But I don’t think we’re there yet.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

I did read that part of your post and I acknowledge it. I’ll readily admit that part of my dislike of Alex is directly related to the off the field stuff. After he admitted using PEDs the first time I had respect for him for talking about it and saying it was in his past. If that was really just a bunch of BS and he has used since then, then I can’t respect him. If you fuck up, say “my bad” and actually change, then that’s admirable to me. If you fuck up, say “my bad” then continue doing what you said you stopped, then you’re just a scumbag.

I personally believe he has continued PED use. I know MLB doesn’t seem to have hard evidence and he hasn’t failed any tests (neither did Lance) but the court of my opinion is not held to the same standards as a court of law. Alex is (and should be considered) innocent till proven guilty by MLB, but I’ve seen and heard enough to form my own opinion that he’s guilty. A lot of people are shitty, they are conniving, and will do whatever it takes to gain an edge. Alex strikes me as that type of individual. Maybe I’m completely fucking wrong about it and he’ll be exonerated and in that case I fully open myself to ridicule and will say “that’s why I’m not a judge.”

Apart from the PED stuff that I said I wasn’t going to get into but did anyway, he looked toast at the end of last year and watching him weakly wave at pitch after pitch got me annoyed. I didn’t know how serious of an injury he had at the time and how much that affected him, however. I don’t know if he can be an above average player anymore, he’ll have to show us.

Now that my long winded diatribe is over, I’ll just say that even though I dislike Alex and personally believe he is a multiple-time PED offender, I’ll sure as hell be rooting for him to mash when he does make his return. I want the Yankees to move on now because I don’t believe he’ll be able to produce coming off a second hip surgery, but I’ll admit I’m making a big assumption there. As much as I don’t like him, he has certainly earned the right to prove me and all other doubters wrong.

• jjyank says:

See, this isn’t the type of opinion I was attempting to refer to in my original post. You seem to have put a lot of thought into your judgements about A-Rod, and I respect that.

If it is proven that A-Rod did PEDs a second time, I lose any respect I have for him. I agree with you there. I think the only difference between your opinion and mine, is that I haven’t decided whether or not I think he took PEDs a second time. Other than that, I think you and I are generally on the same page.

11. Get Phelps Up says:

Ha, my fantasy opponent doesn’t get a quality start from CC.

Also you know your struggling when Mike advocates playing Ichiro over you.

12. LK says:

As bad as Wells has been lately, he’s still got better full season numbers than Ichiro and his ROS projections are better for whatever that’s worth. I’d be careful about trying to play the hot hand and let Ichiro, Wells, and Overbay share 2 OF spots about equally.

Really though, they need to acquire an OF at this point. They really messed up by committing to both Vernon and Ichiro and in 2014.

• KeithK says:

Remember that Wells is basically free next yearwith the 2014 money the Angels are chipping in. If he’s terrible the Yanks can just cut him loose.

Ichiro is another matter.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Wells is free next year in terms of luxury tax, but they are still paying him $2.4M. That’s probably enough to get him a longer leash.

13. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m going to make sure to bookmark this thread for when Vernon Wells goes on his next hot streak.

Only straight lines in thread conversations.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

THIS !!!!!

I have a feeling that Mike is going to eating those words.

14. forensic says:

Any chance the Yankees could petition to see if the Indians could be added to the AL East? The Yankees are now 5-1 against Cleveland and 8-1 against Toronto, while being just 21-23 against everyone else.

One of the most amazing things to me about Cano’s slumping play is his complete lack of doubles. He’s now gone 20 games and 73 AB’s without a single double. And he only has one double since May 4th, now over a month ago (30 games and 114 AB’s). This all from a guy who is always in the 40′s, even nearing 50, in doubles every year.

15. Get Phelps Up says:

Stewie’s OPS+ is just one point lower than Martins was last year. Woah.

• Bacon swag and cheese says:

Martin’s offense was kind of overrated during his tenure here. He had a really good April in 2011, which won a lot of fans over, and I think it made everyone overlook the fact that he was hitting near the Mendoza line for the most of the two years.

16. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Well I guess the though of kissing Ichiro’s Shiri was to much for Mike so off him and on to a new target in Wells.

Boar’s Head Natural All Beef Hot Dogs Presents Mustang’s Has Been and Wannabee of the Game Awards

The Wannabee of the game is Chris “My OPS+ is just one point lower than Martins was last year” Stewart.
    Thanks to Get Phelps Up.

The Has Been of the game is CC “Kiss my radar” Sabathia

“Go West, young man”

17. Don Wilding says:

Thank you, oh, thank you, CC, for allowing us to rest Mo and D-Rob, and not having to bring Joba in!

18. Craig says:

Wells’ last 25 games: .191/.226/.326

It was fun while it lasted. Josh Willingham looks pretty nice right now.

19. Dave in VA says:

A big shout-out to the White Sox for taking Seattle to 16 innings and making the Mariners send out SIX relief pitchers, the last one being Hector Noesi (remember him?) who pitched the last 3 innings, gave up 3 ER and took the loss in a 7-5 ChiSox win.

Wacky game; all 12 runs were scored after 13 scoreless innings. Danny Farquhar gave up 4 runs without getting an out in the top of the 14th, but Addison Reed gave it all back in the bottom of the frame — and ended up getting the win by pitching the last 3 innings himself.

• nycsportzfan says:

Of course they remember Noesi, we just faced em May 16th, and he pretty much dominated over 4.1innings giving up 1unearned run while K’ing 4yanks.

But overall, hes been pretty bad.

20. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I just watched the pilot episode of Firefly. Really cool show, like Star Trek mixed with a western. I think it’s kind of interesting that the plot is basically just the crew trying not to die. And forming a family too, I guess.

21. Mick taylor says:

Boy , nary a mention of the great series swisher had on his return to new York. Lyle overbay is having a better year.

• SDB says:

Swisher this year: .249/.350/.440
      Overbay so far: .251/.295/.460

So far no complaints about the FO letting Swisher go.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Because nobody ever had a bad 3 games before.
      Did he steal your girlfriend or something?

• Mick taylor says:

You have such affection for the premier playoff choke artist who after his failures ripped Yankee fans, said francona was the best manager for him in terms of communication, thereby ripping girardi and had he hit at all in the playoffs might have gotten the yanks to the world series in the last 4 years, (see reggie jackson booby),sounds like you are his boyfriend.And jj yank , overbay has more home runs, more r.b.iAnd more clutch hits. And my little man, overbay is not making 12 million a year like the choke long.

22. mt says:

Along with offensive revival (would be glad to see against another team than Indians) best thing about homestand was CC dominating against two good offensive teams – he gave up seven hits yesterday but there was the infield single that wan’t fielded, the relatively hard hit ball that Teix normally fields but did not, the grounder through the vacated spot on hit and run, and two soft fly balls to left (is it me or does Vernon Wells look like he is running in concrete? They are going to have to somehow play Ichiro more in left in expansive LF in YS3;, maybe Overbay and Wells split right or they also rest Teix at 1B a couple of days.)

But Robby Cano bothers me – if he finished year at current OPS of .845, it would be his worst year since the dreadful 2008. I think he has escaped scrutiny because OMG! – he has 14 Homers – but almost no doubles and a .235 batting average with runners in scoring position – I had hoped this year he would go all MVP on us even if it would cost us money in his contract – basically come through like gangbusters when all eyes and pressure is on him a depleted lineup – unfortuantely now we have the worst of all worlds – OK performance but he will still want to be paid at the uppermost elite bat in game when there are holes that continue on form last year (now batting a banging .200 against lefties with a .606 OPS) – but now because of 30-40 (often solo) homers this year it will still be “pay me some absurd contract”.

He is tied with Matt Joyce for 41st place in MLB behind such luminaries as Jhonny Peralta and Kelly Johnson – I know numbers fluctuate and he is at a low point (hopefully he is at a low point) and there are players ahead of him that are not as good as he is (James Loney is #12) but I would have loved to see him at least be at .950 this year.

There is one more thing that bothers me – during Cashman’s interview with ESPN on Sunday, Buster Olney asked him about claims Cano doesn’t hustle – Brian brushed it off that “he doesn’t see that” and “Robbie works hard” even though he did admit that he knows the fan blogs mention it. This is what I worry about – Robby not hustling is OK when Jeters and other hustling players (Gardner, for example) are around but what happens when Cano is the man all by himself that sets the tone for the team? Also Cano did not speak to reporters the last 2 days since the Biogenesis stiff resurfaced (remember his foundation’s spokeswoman is on a list) – that bothers me because he should know as a member of the Yankees especially when you want to become the highest paid member of the team you will be scrutinized for any and everything. Imagine the uproar if Jeter avoided the press for 2 days – CC and Mo answered questions (should be a whole other topic whether their “unconditional love no matter what Arod turns out to have done” was appropriate) – why not Cano? This may be off base but Robby impresses me as someone who probably wants the fame and money from being a great baseball player but may not be up to the other stuff and scrutiny, which sometimes can be negative bullshit (remember the NY Post Post front page supposedly showing a “fat’ Jeter, for example)