Jul

A-Rod goes hitless in first minor league rehab game

In his first minor league rehab game with Low-A Charleston, Alex Rodriguez went 0-for-2 while playing three innings at third base as scheduled. He hit into a 5-4-3 double play and struck out looking. The other team tested Alex with two bunts, one he fielded cleanly while not having a chance on the other according to Bob Nightengale and Dan Martin. They were the only defensive plays he had to make.

A-Rod‘s 20-day rehab window expires on Monday, July 22nd, and he told Pete Iacobelli that he believe he’ll need all 20 days before rejoining the team. That’s not surprising, they’re going to ease him back in and he needs basically a full Spring Training. Alex said he will play for the River Dogs again tomorrow night before joining High-A Tampa on Thursday. It’s been raining for days in Florida, which is why he had to start his rehab in Charleston.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Pseudoyanks says:

He better be buying these kids lobster tails and shrimp cocktail.

2. forensic says:

Can’t even hit Low-A pitching???

Just retire already…

3. trr says:

I guess every at bat is to be analyzed….

4. Slu says:

I can only imagine the garbage Pete Abraham would be writing if he still covered the Yanks. His anti-Alex hard on was something else.

• Dalek Jeter says:

“The team is better with Cody Ransom at third base.” I remember when I read that I thought it was a joke. He was serious.

• forensic says:

Overall, I didn’t have a big problem with Pete Abe, but that stuff really did aggravate me. He didn’t even bother trying to hide it one did for a professional impartiality.

5. Laz says:

Please get him out of there!
    I heard Bichettitis is very contagious.

6. Darren says:

What happens if he’s not ready for the Majors after 20 days?

• forensic says:

He continues working on it in the Majors.

• Darren says:

What about if he and the Yankees both agree he’s not ready? Can’t he accept a voluntary assignment to the Minors?

• forensic says:

In theory, he could. But it’s not going to happen. 20 days should be enough time anyway, it’s similar to how long he would play in a typical ST.

• MannyGeee says:

Even A-Rod trying to re-adjust to Major League pitching is miles away better than Adams trying to learn how to hit Major League pitching. He could still run into one even when he’s NOT 100%.

7. Evan3457 says:

0-2 with a K and a GIDP.

Sounds like Alex is in mid-season form, which is good, because it’s mid-season.

8. Shittyshittybangbang says:

I can’t believe these snot nose little bastards tried to embarrass me by bunting. Not once, but twice !!! They will rue the day they messed with GOD, err, Alex ! (Regards, Alexs’ ego)

• Darren says:

I like giving Alex shit as much as the next guy, but I actually think he respects the game and was probably totally cool with them bunting. I can see him being excited by the immediate challenge.

• pat says:

Agreed. Arod is guilty of many many things, but do think he really truly loves playing. It’s too bad his reputation is so tainted because he’d probably be a good guy to have around during spring training and whatnot because he likes to mentor the youngins.

9. EndlessJose says:

It’s only A-Rods luck he will get suspended before he comes back.

10. Michael says:

High-A Tampa plays at Brevard (Brewers farm team) this Saturday-Monday! I will defiantly be in attendance. Hopefully he will play!

11. Kiko Jones says:

He can suck all he wants for the next 3 weeks but if he comes back like his first game in ’09…

12. RetroRob says:

He’s already having a positive impact on the Yankees. The threat of his return spurred Adams to get two hits tonight.

13. Fezz says:

so he struck out looking and grounded into a double play?? sounds like he’s ready to come back up to NY – that’s A-Rod mid-season form