Oct

Ebro: Yankees scouting Cuban right-hander Ordisamer Despaigne

Via Jorge Ebro (translated article): The Yankees were one of several teams to scout Cuban right-hander Ordisamer Despaigne during a recent workout in Barcelona. He will participate in some more formal showcase events in Mexico in the coming weeks. Despaigne defected at an airport in Paris and has not yet been cleared to sign by the Office of Foreign Assets Control.

The internet has almost nothing on Despaigne. He’s 27 years old and he had a 3.27 ERA with 93 strikeouts and 53 walks in 143 innings last year before defecting. He has also never pitched in the World Baseball Classic, though his father Francisco did play ten years in Cuba, so at least there’s some baseball blood in the family. Ben Badler calls him “very fringy” and there isn’t even a grainy video on YouTube. So yeah, here’s the scouting report we have on Despaigne: he’s right-handed. Sign ‘em up.

1. fat jeter says:

Meh. At least he’s Cuban, so I that’s a plus I guess.

2. dkidd says:

i fink u fringy and i like you a lot

3. SDB says:

I’m waiting until R-Til gets his own scouting report.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Righty. Scouts not sure of his age, may be pushing 40. Not convinced he can even throw a ball 60 feet, six inches. Still, he’s Cuban.

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Since he’s Despaigne and worked out in Spain, shouldn’t we suspect that he is in fact from Spain?

4. Mr. Roth says:

It seems clear to me that regardless of whether Cashman signs this guy or not, the outcome will be failure.

5. Robinson Tilapia says:

These fuckers here have trouble spelling Ronnier Mustelier. I’m not even sure I spelled it correctly. Their heads would explode trying to spell this dude’s name.

6. dkidd says:

somewhere, sterling is dusting off his “tattoo-from-fantasy-island” impression:

despaigne! despaigne!

7. jim p says:

Seems to me a pitcher new to MLB with decent stuff can get by for a half-dozen starts or so before he’s analyzed by other teams and they know what to expect.

Maybe we can get 5 or 6 unknown guys for the fifth starter position and get 20 wins from it. Rotate them out of the minors.

8. Mickey Scheister says:

Great, so we pass on all the guys names who I can pronounce and this guy shows up on the radar. C’mon man! Can’t you get an Abreu or a Puig or even a Hernandez or three to be available in the Cuban defectors league?! Now I’ll NEVER get a 100 on the ‘name all the players’ test Mike posts after the season.

9. Betty Lizard says:

I want him just for his name.

10. Batsman says:

SO the guy is 27 years old? That means he’s actually….what….36?

11. Howie says:

He was on the 2013 WBC roster. I don’t know if he appeared in any games. There is a Wikipedia article, though it’s brief. (BTW his first name is “Odrisamer”, not “Ordisamer”)