Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Yankees @ Twins

Two days after traveling to Fort Myers to play the Red Sox, the Yankees are back in town this afternoon to play the Twins. Masahiro Tanaka is making his third “real” start of the spring and his fifth overall appearance. He’s scheduled to throw 90 pitches, so this will basically be a full start. As you might expect, the Bombers did not send many of their regulars on the 2+ hour bus trip after playing last night. Here are the Yankees and Twins lineups. First pitch is scheduled for a little after 1pm ET and the game can be seen on MLB.tv. There is no live YES or MLB Network broadcast. Enjoy the game if you’re watching.

Update: Whoops, apparently the game is live on MLB Network. My bad.

1. Russ says:

Actually it is on MLB Network today…

2. dkidd says:

need tanaka to join the dominant rotation party

3. El Johnny D says:

Pretty sure the game is live on MLB Network right now…

4. whozat says:

Why’d it take so long for them to head over to the headsets after Girardi decided to challenge? That was 30s right there.

5. proday says:

Tanaka really struggling to throw strikes. He’s been behind all day. I don’t know why he doesn’t attack with his fastball more, I guess I’ll chalk it up to “working on stuff”. I’d rather see working on stuff ahead on the count.

• The Doctor says:

It’s called having an off day. If you’re having an off day, you don’t want to attack with your fastball; it’s going to end up down the middle eventually. I’d rather see him use off speed stuff to try and find a rhythm.

6. whozat says:

You’d think they could afford a helmet that fits for nunez

7. Wheels says:

phew, looks like Cervelli is ok

8. Wheels says:

Nice 4-run inning.

9. lightSABR says:

Looks like Ma-kun has settled down a bit. He looked a lot sharper in the 4th.

10. lightSABR says:

Ha – Gameday’s going to be right for once. Three straight swinging strikes against Florimon.

11. Wheels says:

Twins announcers keep calling Nunez, “Nunoz”

• forensic says:

I’m only up to the 3rd inning of the game and already it’s been Edward Nunoz, Cerevelli, and Beltre (for Beltran).

Bert and whoever are pretty terrible.

• Yankee$ (Formerly Pseudoyanks) says:

I think Bert was out drinking last night and is still feeling the effects. Unlikely he was home Blyleven.

• lightSABR says:

They also kept talking about YangArvis Solarte, instead of YangErvis. But that’s not one you can really blame them for.

12. gageagainstthemachine says:

I want to thank the good lord for not making me have to listen to Twins announcers 162 times a season.

13. nycsportzfan says:

Shane Greene has some heavy stuff, man.

14. Robert says:

If there is any Justice in the world than Solarte and Almonte. Make the team!!! Sorry D. Anna you will be up shortly and farewell Ichiro.

• Preston says:

The INF position is going to depend on defense. With Ryan out, the guy who they think can play SS and 2b the best should be up. I haven’t seen enough games this spring to judge whether Solarte or Anna is better with the glove. I know that I don’t want Nunez as our best option at SS if Jeter needs a day though.
      As for the OF spot. I’m no Ichiro fan. But I think with the teams current needs in mind, defensive replacement and pinch runner, he’s fine. If something were to happen to one of the other four OFers I’d rather have Almonte getthe ABs. But I think it’s probably better for the young guy to play everyday at AAA rather than ride the pine in MLB.