Apr

Game 18: Start A New Streak

(Scott Iskowitz/Getty)

(Scott Iskowitz/Getty)

The five-game winning streak came to an end last night thanks to a rather spectacular bullpen meltdown. Oh well. That’s going to happen from time to time. The Yankees have lost consecutive games just twice this season — first two games to the Astros then two games to the Orioles — and to avoid their third set tonight they will have to overcome what feels like a pitching disadvantage.

Ivan Nova has been New York’s worst starter this season — it feels like he has not had a single easy inning yet — but his last start was his best, so hopefully he’s heading the right direction. Rays righty Chris Archer has been good this year but his last start was his worst, a seven-run beatdown. He crushed the Yankees in three starts last season, though that was completely different lineup. I’m not sure his history against the Bombers means much of anything. Here is the Rays lineup and here is Joe Girardi‘s lineup:

1. CF Jacoby Ellsbury
  2. LF Brett Gardner
  3. DH Carlos Beltran
  4. C Brian McCann
  5. RF Alfonso Soriano
  6. 3B Yangervis Solarte
  7. 1B Kelly Johnson
  8. 2B Brian Roberts
  9. SS Dean Anna
    RHP Ivan Nova

It is warm, humid and raining in St. Petersburg. The Tropicana Field roof will take care of all that though. First pitch is scheduled for a little after 7pm ET and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.

Mark Teixeira Update: Teixeira (hamstring) played seven innings in an Extended Spring Training game this morning, his third straight day of game action. He is eligible to be activated off the 15-day DL tomorrow and he insists he is ready.

David Robertson Update: Robertson (groin) threw 16 pitches and faced five batters in an ExST game. He is eligible to come off the 15-day DL on Tuesday and the expectation is that he will indeed be activated.

Rotation Update: As expected, Joe Girardi confirmed Vidal Nuno will start tomorrow’s game. There’s a pretty good chance he will then be shipped to Triple-A Scranton before the team’s next game to clear a rotation spot for Robertson.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Jimmy says:

I’ll take that lineup. Hopefully Nova starts heating up and we can set up another 4 game series win.

2. Ghost of Mariano says:

I need a palette cleanser after last night.

3. Michael says:

Anyone know what happened to Banuelos?

4. Wheels says:

Good photo of that Ellsbury catch.

5. M-Three says:

Hopefully it will be Daley sent down for Robertson on Tuesday. Even if he isn’t great tomorrow, Nuno is a better option and much more deserving of a roster spot than Daley. I said it before, Daley is a just a junk baller and isn’t an upgrade over anyone in our bullpen. Plus, even with Nuno being available until probably Thursday, we still have Phelps and Warren who could give us some length is necessary.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Yea, that won’t happen.

• Mr. Roth says:

Daley and Nuno are both junk ballers. The difference is going to be that Daley is a junk baller available to pitch, while Nuno is a junk baller not available to pitch. Why send down the guy who can pitch and keep the guy who can’t on the roster?

Available >>> Not Available

• M-Three says:

If they do go that route, hopefully Daley is sent packing as soon as Nuno is eligible to be recalled. Give me the 2nd lefty who can also give us distance over a junk throwing journeyman anyday, everyday.

• Mr. Roth says:

Although I think you’re giving Nuno way too much credit, I do agree that he’s more valuable than Daley. I think the move will just be until Nuno can be recalled back to the majors.

6. Jersey Joe says:

NO SCOTT SIZEMORE!

BLASPHEMY!

7. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Is this what happens when the Yankees face Archer?

Yes, Other Barry. It is.

8. The Other Matt says:

Wow. Girardi has 3 left handers in a row, with Anna in the 9 hole and then Ellsbury, Gardner 1-2.

• Mike Axisa says:

Archer’s splits are huge.

• The Other Matt says:

Yeah I have seen, but then if you get into a situation late in the game you leave the opportunity for Jake McGee to see three left handers in a row, if they weren’t to pinch-hit Jeter for Anna. It’s not all that big of a deal in my eyes, it’s just that we all know Girardi for loving to break up his left handed hitters in the lineup.

• forensic says:

Jake McGee might as well start stretching out that arm right now.

9. Jersey Joe says:

For some reason, it just bugs me to see the bottom of the order composed of the infield.

• forensic says:

We’ve been spoiled by some of those near all-time great all-around infields they used to field.

• The Other Matt says:

They have to bat somewhere. Girardi could’ve had Roberts bat second to split up Gardner and Ellsbury and bump everyone else down. In that case Gardner would lead off and then bat Ellsbury 3. But it probably serves well to have your better hitters the chance to receive the most at bats.

10. The Other Matt says:

To start or sit Chris Archer in my fantasy league? Quick, I need answers before 7:10 !

I started him.

Of course, with the way my fantasy moves have been going for most of the season that means he’ll be knocked out before finishing 2 innings.

• The Other Matt says:

Yeah, I really had no intention on sitting him. People always say sit a player when they play against your favorite team (the Yankees obviously), but then if they perform well you have to deal with the agony of them beating your team and not receiving contribution for your fantasy team. But with the way Archer has thrown the ball against the Yankees, so far, it’s too risky to sit him.

• Wheels says:

I think we’re gonna see good Nova.

• Winter says:

I started him. Never let team allegiance get in the way of fantasy, or vice versa.

• The Other Matt says:

Well said my friend. Well said.

• forensic says:

I have trouble with the vice versa part of that. There’re certain players/teams that I go out of my way to avoid if there is any other option because I just can’t root for them.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I agree I have a long standing policy to not draft Red Sox players or acquire them in anyway.

• The Other Matt says:

Yeah, I have no Red Sox players. And I kind of went out of my way to draft Jeter, but I have no qualms about it though, since I have Tulo.

11. nycsportzfan says:

Gameday says those 1st 2pitches to Ells were flat out strikes.

12. No 2013 again says:

Ellsbury is a hit machine

13. nycsportzfan says:

Ells is amazing!

14. nycsportzfan says:

Gardner is the kinda of striking out looking.

15. forensic says:

Suzyn: “What else did Ellsbury do? He saw 7 pitches. 7 pitches that everyone in that dugout got to see everything that Archer had.”

This after an AB where Archer threw only 4-seamers (according to Gameday). Yeah, that’s really showing them everything he has.

16. No 2013 again says:

Gardner always takes fastballs down the middle for strike three.

17. SevenAces says:

How is that 4th pitch to Gardner a strike?!

18. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

gotta love how Ells grinds it out.

19. The Guns of Navarone says:

Gardner loves to watch. He stands there at first and watches…and at the plate he takes more strike 3s than anyone I’ve seen

• ALZ says:

Several pitches there should have been a ball though.

• RkyMtnYank says:

No kidding, I think he took it a little to literally when the coaches said … watch what Ells does!

• nycsportzfan says:

I agree, Gardner has to recognize these pitches right there, with 2strikes on him. That should not be a weakness, of a slap hitting, speedster.

• RkyMtnYank says:

with his speed even bunting would have been better

• The Guns of Navarone says:

That should not be a weakness, of a slap hitting, speedster.

Bingo.

His walks are down and strikeouts are up from his 2010-2011 levels. I remember that was the worry when he was first brought up… that his patient ways wouldn’t work in the bigs because pitchers would challenge him more due to his lack of power.

20. Dalek Jeter says:

Something something dangerzone, something something Prussia. I’m not even trying anymore.

21. forensic says:

Cesar Ramos, who averages over 91mph on his fastball, is a ‘very soft-throwing lefty’ according to Sterling.

Boy, they’re in rare form tonight. It’s going to be a long night.

22. Mr. Roth says:

Chris Archer looks like he’s stoned out of his mind in his picture on the cbssports pitch-by-pitch.

23. YankeeDJW says:

Anyone else concerned over the amount of K’s for Gardner? He’s on pace for 150 strikeouts this year. I think his previous high is 101. Not good for a top-of-the-lineup guy.

• Mr. Roth says:

It’s 59 at bats. He has just as much a chance of striking out 150 times as Solarte has to finish the season with an OPS of 1.008

24. No 2013 again says:

yay, when Archer is on the mound they become a little league team.. pathetic.

25. Dalek Jeter says:

50 internet dollars says Ike Davis is worth at least 2.5fWAR for the Pirates this season and the PTBNL the Mets are getting which is supposed to be the key guy for the Mets never sees Triple A, let alone the bigs.

• The Other Matt says:

I could see him hitting a few out to right in PNC, seeing as though that’s about the only favorable part of the field for a hitter. I have no inclination as to what may happen to the player PTBNL’s future will be.

26. forensic says:

Random thought: has anyone seen Kramerica Industries this season? Outside of an appearance or two during the offseason, he’s been MIA.

Real life must’ve gotten in the way, especially if he’s not here during a Rays series. That kinda sucks.

27. The Other Matt says:

Anyone see Matt Williams pull Bryce Harper for not running out a ground ball to first?

• forensic says:

I noticed he didn’t finish the game, but didn’t know why. I have to kind of applaud Williams for that.

• The Other Matt says:

I think Harper is kind of pissed because Williams has had him batting 6th and 7th (I think) on more than a few occasions. I don’t like it because he tried to show up Harper after the game when they asked him about it, and Harper always runs hard, so if he were to send a message he could’ve done it with someone else. Just reading the tea leaves I surmise they don’t have the best of relationships. But that’s just my opinion.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I didn’t, but if that’s seriously why he pulled him, that is incredibly incredibly dumb. I’d rather my player be healthy and play 150 games, losing out on the 3 infield singles he may beat out and 4 times he might get on via an error, by not hustling every time. Than have him only play in 120-130 games and either need consistant time off because of a nagging leg injury or 85-90 games because he’s constantly tearing his hammy (a la Jose Reyes).

• The Other Matt says:

Yeah, ironically, it seemed kind of childish on Williams’ part. But as I said, just reading tea leaves I think there might be a rift there.

• forensic says:

I’m sorry, but I so despise this cop-out reply to anytime someone dogs it.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I don’t look at it as a cop-out, honestly. What is to be gained besides “playing the game the right way” (the oldest cliche in the history of the game) by running out routine grounders. I mean, Harper played all out in 2012 and 2013 and played a total of 257 games, meanwhile Cano “dogged it” more often than not and played 321. Sure, anecdotal evidence, but I think it’s sorta telling.

• forensic says:

Harper didn’t miss those games because he hustled to first, he missed games because he runs into walls head-first.

Jeter hustles every play and barely missed games (prior to last year) as have tons of other players in history. Puig dogs it with the best of them (often) and still ends up with injuries every other day it seems.

I don’t see any real correlation between the two. There was another article on this that I saw somewhere recently, just don’t quite remember where. I’ll try to find it eventually and link to it for you.

• Mike Axisa says:

Harper’s spot came up with the tying run in scoring position in the ninth inning too. No guarantee he comes through, obviously, but you’d rather have him at the plate than Kevin freaking Frandsen.

• The Other Matt says:

Absolutely. It’ll be something to watch though, since Williams just got the job, and, obviously, Harper isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

28. Michigan Yankee says:

How many games in 2015 could the rotation listed below win? What would that do to the weekly confidence poll? The best of all, its so very possible.

Scherzer
    Sabathia
    Tanaka
    Peneda
    Nova

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Want no part of Scherzer.

• The Other Matt says:

He’d be a good player for the Mets to go after, if they we’re actually willing to spend money. Imagine if Harvey comes back to what he was last season, having:

Harvey
        Scherzer
        Colon (Syndegard should be ready to go before/by the end of Colon’s contract)
        Wheeler
        Niese/Gee

29. nycsportzfan says:

If you could have one player not named Evan Longoria on the Yanks, who would it be?

from the rays

• The Other Matt says:

Ben Zobrist. He has really grown on me watching him play these past few years.

• nycsportzfan says:

Good answer. I actually would go with Jake McGee, believe it or not. I’d love to have that young loogy for the next 10yrs. Hes really good.

• Mr. Roth says:

I respect your opinion, but you are now eliminated from the candidate pool for GM when I buy a MLB team.

• nycsportzfan says:

Fair enough.lol If it helps, I changed my choice to Myers, as I simply forgot about him. But, thinking about the Yanks starting rotation going forward and what we have in the farm system, and realizing Matt Thornton is aging, is why I picked McGee. Hes still pretty young, and I love the thought of McGee, Betances, Warren, and DROB anchoring the bullpen the next 5-10yrs

• The Other Matt says:

It seems kind of crazy not to mention David Price as well. In that case, would you rather have Price (knowing you’d be able to lock him up moving forward) or Longoria (already on a long term deal)?

• forensic says:

No way I’d use an opportunity like that on just about any reliever, much less a guy who may end up just being a LOOGY.

• nycsportzfan says:

I knew it was kinda a sleeper pick, but I was thinking about Tanaka and Pineda anchoring are rotation, and thinking about are farm, which dosen’t have a ton of high upside LHP’ing to begin with, let alone stud pen lefty.

But I changed it to Myers, as I forgot about him..

Myers just hit a HR by the way. Fuck!

• Mr. Roth says:

Unless I was guaranteed that the reliever is the 2nd coming of Mariano Rivera and will change his saves record, there’s way I’m picking a reliever.

• Mr. Roth says:

change = challenge

• Mr. Roth says:

Wow, I butchered that. Let’s try again:

Unless I was guaranteed that the reliever is the 2nd coming of Mariano Rivera and will challenge his saves record, there’s no way I’m picking a reliever.

• forensic says:

Likely Zobrist, and I’m not really sure anyone else is too close to him.

• nycsportzfan says:

On the current yanks team, and thinking beyond, i’d go with McGee. Betances, McGee, Kelley, Drob, and Warren could be scary for sometime.

• Tom says:

Ignoring contract?

Zobrist – still ridiculously underrated. Not quite sold on Myers yet (he’ll be good, just not sure how good)

If contracts is a factor, than maybe Myers (Zobrist is a FA after 2015)

• nycsportzfan says:

I actually forgot about Myers. He’d be my choice. He’d be great to add to Ells and Gardy as future OF, especially when Belty goes to DH and Ichiro is gone..

• forensic says:

Myers is close, but comparing the state of the OF to the state of the IF, I’d have to take Zobrist first.

• nycsportzfan says:

Age was my deciding factor when choosing between Myers and Zobrist, and McGee. I would wanna take advantage of one of those young guys the Rays got. I do love Zobrist as a player though.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

David Price anyone?

• The Other Matt says:

Clearly he has been tremendous so far in his career. But something about him screams to me that he will decline in these next couple years.

• forensic says:

The declining velocity and large reliance on one pitch would scare me.

• Dalek Jeter says:

From the Rays? Chris Archer. Kid’s got electric stuff.

30. nycsportzfan says:

Got him with the breaking ball. Nice way to start the night Nova!

31. Dalek Jeter says:

God, John hates Nova he’s spent the last few minutes talking about how such an incredible hitter like Ben Zobrist has such bad numbers against a guy like Ivan Nova.

• nycsportzfan says:

I thought I heard him say, he dosen’t understand how someone with Nova’s stuff, is so inconsistent, which I would have to agree with?

• Dalek Jeter says:

That’s how he ended it, but he started with how Zobrist is like 3-25 or something like that and “how can such a good Lefty hitter have such terrible numbers against a righty as inconsistent as Ivan Nova.”

• nycsportzfan says:

I missed that part. I got them on radio, MLB network on TV, plus Gameday and RAB on computer.lol I hate when Yanks aren’t on TV for me to see. They will be tomorrow though.

32. forensic says:

Zobrist has ripped the ball every AB the last couple of games with almost nothing to show for it, lucky for the Yanks (but not my fantasy team).

• nycsportzfan says:

Zobrist is a fantasy stud usually, as he can play everywhere. I don’t have a team this yr, alittle short on cash, but did a bunch of mocks, and always tried getting him on my squad.

33. Wheels says:

Oh come on.

34. Cuso says:

God, I really hate the Rays announcers.

I say it every year, every series – but they’re awful.

Staats is a remnant of the MSG ’89 Yankee years and he has always just straight up sucked.

• YankeeDJW says:

They’re probably my 2nd least favorite, just behind the Blue Jays. So obnoxious.

• forensic says:

I don’t know how many other teams you’ve really listened to, but there are a ton of other terrible ones too. White Sox, Marlins, A’s (they’re not too terrible, but they’re whiny), Mariners, Pirates, Indians, etc.

They’re not all terrible for the same reasons, but many of them are beyond homerish, which just drives me nuts.

• nycsportzfan says:

Oh the Tampa homerism is ridiculous with those guys! Ugh!

• Cuso says:

Marlins aren’t that bad. White Sox seem terrible because Hawk is a fucking idiot, but Stone is OK.

The Rays are well beyond whiny and have always had a chip on their shoulders.

Examples: constantly bitching about balls/strikes and referring to K-zone, but when the K-Zone shows they got a break they pretend to be oblivious.

Staats always referring to the Yankees “squawking” when they question a call without that actually happening.

Talking about the magnamity of their starting pitcher even when he’s not on the mound.

Ignoring game action (usually involving their opponents mounting a rally or mowing down Rays batters) because of this week’s raffle or ridiculous 5-minute story about this week’s concert.

My pet peeve: Always making reference to the Yankees “not needing those calls, they have enough help already.

They’re garbage. Constant garbage. Every team may take shots at the Yankees – it goes with the territory.

This is not that. This is something else. Rant over.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

All other teams’ announcers generally suck.

Except Scully, of course.

• Cuso says:

Mine is not a novice, uninformed opinion.

I’ve heard them all for years. Unfortunately, living in Florida I’m stuck with their crew more often than I’m like.

They suck. I’m quite certain of it.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Oh, I’m not saying that Tampa’s announcers don’t suck/aren’t annoying.

But I’ve found that pretty much all other teams’ announcers are intolerable.

35. The Guns of Navarone says:

Longoria made an out! If I’m Nova I tip my hat and call it a night. Gotta go out on a high note.

36. nycsportzfan says:

This freaking Myers kid is gonna be a beast. Prick!

37. No 2013 again says:

Glad to see that Foster hates the Yankees just like Joe West.

38. No 2013 again says:

Of course our pitching would get Myers going.

39. Dalek Jeter says:

Of course the day I bench Myers.

40. Wheels says:

Strike 4.

41. Mickey Scheister says:

He should’ve been out three times in that AB.

42. The Other Matt says:

Random, but: Am I crazy for thinking Dean Anna or Brendan Ryan may actually be the starting shortstop for the Yankees come Opening Day, next season?

• Mickey Scheister says:

Dean “I’m a Man” Anna will earn it!

• forensic says:

No offense, but I hope you’re crazy.

• The Other Matt says:

Unless Hardy is a match, or you really like Asdrubal Cabrera that much, because I think Hanley re-sings with the Dodgers. One player I would keep an eye on, as I said in a chat before, is Starlin Castro. If he doesn’t have a good year with the Cubs this season, they might be willing to move him since they have Javier Baez in the minors, not too far away. And he has the potential to be a 30+ HR guy.

• Havok9120 says:

I can see them skimping huggge on one of the three positions, especially if ARod can’t play 3rd.

43. Mickey Scheister says:

I’m liking the TB announcing crew, they’re at least acknowledging the umpiring crew missed some calls against the Yanks.

44. nycsportzfan says:

Ok offense, lets get some runs on the board here. We got a really nice lineup tonight, with only one righty in there against the RHP, so lets do some damage.

45. The Guns of Navarone says:

I’ve seen this movie before

46. No 2013 again says:

This is just like last season, they are swinging early and hitting everything weakly.

• nycsportzfan says:

Lets not forget how tough it is for the Yanks to play @Tampa. Even if we lose this one, if we can take tomorrows game, we split, which isn’t bad, considering how bad we usually are in Tampa.

47. forensic says:

92 to 87 is almost 10 mph???

48. nycsportzfan says:

Jesus, Nova!!! Its still early, but my god, the inconsistency is maddening!

49. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Bad Nova.

50. nycsportzfan says:

Tyler Austin having what I suspect is his best game of the yr for Trenton. 2-3 2b,3b,2run,1bb,1rbi. Thats good to see.

51. The Guns of Navarone says:

Nova’s fastball is just atrocious

52. Rolling Doughnut says:

Get someone up sooner rather than later.

53. forensic says:

Well, this is no bueno.

54. No 2013 again says:

HR allowed to a .190 hitter.. Nova continues to amaze.

55. WAjohn says:

Wasn’t this supposed to be the year Nova put it all together? Reminds me a bit of Hughes, you see glimpses then boom, rockets hit everywhere.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

To me, this is just what he is. He’s an “inconsistent” starter. The league is littered with them. His fastball is ENTIRELY too hittable and I don’t believe he’ll ever be anywhere near as good as everyone hopes he’ll be.

56. nycsportzfan says:

Archers on tonight. Nova better smarten up, or this could be over with another run or 2 by Tampa.

• No 2013 again says:

I don’t get this. Archer is throwing fastballs on the plate over the plate… Why can’t they hit him?

57. Dalek Jeter says:

forensic, I got caught up with a customer, and idk if you have “email for replies on” so I’ll leave this here because I’m curious as to what you think. http://riveraveblues.com/2014/.....nt-8072259

Replied above.

Aside, I remember that email thing showing up at some point but don’t see it now (unless I’m blind), but I never ended up using it anyway.

58. nycsportzfan says:

Novas giving up flat out rocket hits.

59. WAjohn says:

For those interested, there’s a free UFC on Fox.

60. nycsportzfan says:

Wow, Novas a piece of shit.

61. The Other Matt says:

Longo goes Longo.

62. No 2013 again says:

Game over.

63. No 2013 again says:

Same garbage pitch Myers hit. Nova fucking sucks.

64. Eric Young says:

The inconsistency is just too painful. If we can get an upgrade – or a high, high pick – I’m ready to put Nova in a package. (Of course, I have no idea what could be out there.)

• WAjohn says:

Yes, other teams are definitely interested in trading young talent for inconsistent starters with the propensity to hang his curve.

• Steve says:

It’s always cute when people who don’t know how baseball works start proposing trades. Please, explain this “high, high pick” you’d like them to pursue

65. Mickey Scheister says:

DFA Nova.

66. Wheels says:

Fuck man.

67. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Really BAD Nova.

68. forensic says:

Well, this just feels like a shitty continuation of last night. Please, someone stop the pain!!!

• nycsportzfan says:

I’ll be very happy splitting against Tampa, just because of how hard its been for us down there in recent yrs. Even if this one stays bad, we got a chance to split tomorrow. I’m gonna stay optomistic until tomorrows game is over. If we lose 3of4, it’ll truly blow though.

69. TheRealGreg says:

Nuno better pitch well tomorrow or not only will we lost 3 of 4 but our bullpen will be completely spent for the Red Sox series, even with an off day in between

• nycsportzfan says:

Nova’s probably the one guy on this teams whos demeanor and attitude strikes me as really bad as well. Nuno seems like a quiet standup guy. If he pitches well, who knows? We could use another LHP in the rotation.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Yea, that’s not true at all.

70. The Guns of Navarone says:

When the fuck did this place become a house of horrors for the Yanks? I know the Rays are a good team but, you know, so are the Yankees. I really dread series at the Trop

• TheRealGreg says:

Blue Jays have sucked in Tampa for about the same time, and they are an average team.

I think they lost 17 straight series in Tampa and they split this year.

71. Yan Solo says:

Just tuned in. Looks like Nova’s working on his resume for the next bus ride to Scranton. Ouch. Dude, just likes to streak one direction or the other, huh?

72. nycsportzfan says:

I coulden’t even get my post saying for Nova to be careful with Longo in, and he gave up another HR. Now after the game, we get to here Nova say how good he was, i’m sure.

73. Rolling Doughnut says:

Longo can hit Nova’s best pitch so Nova figures fuck it, para que me esfuerzo, just give him the cookie and be done with it.

74. Havok9120 says:

This is unfortunate.

However, this is not last year. A four run deficit does not an automatic loss make.

Jordan Brink, why have you forsaken us?

• forensic says:

Mike’s gotta try to sneak a Brink picture in the Game Thread tomorrow to see if that fixes it.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Archer’s last start ended badly for him. Let’s hope for a repeat.

• forensic says:

The end of Archer’s last start was the best part of it. He gave up 1 run in the 1st, 3 in the 2nd, and 2 in the 3rd (1 combined in the 4th and 5th).

• No 2013 again says:

I don’t know what game you are watching, but the offense looks terrible.

• Havok9120 says:

Luckily, judging a team’s offensive capabilities by four innings of a single game is incredibly stupid.

Otherwise, I’d probably just turn off the game and do other things.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Everybody knows the team who scores first always wins and the team who gets blanked for a few innings is awful. Don’t you know anything, Havok?

• forensic says:

Well, they are 0-5 when trailing after 5 innings and 0-6 when trailing after 6 innings.

That will certainly change over the course of the season, but it’s not likely to be tonight.

75. TheRealGreg says:

Amazing how fast feelings can turn in a season. Two days ago, we were riding high. Heck, last night we were riding high. Now it’s all gone to pot. Need to see when it will swing back our way

76. rek4gehrig says:

I could’ve hit that pitch and I don’t even play baseball or softball.

77. WAjohn says:

Welp, that sucked. I remember looking forward to starts by Nova.

78. The Guns of Navarone says:

Send him to the minors now so he can turn it around again. Don’t wait until June

79. Paulc says:

Well, bad nova showed up…sucks..so freakin consistent at bein consistent bad then sent down. Then back up and good…and freakin archer….owns us.

80. TheRealGreg says:

If this inconsistency continues, I would seriously think about trading Nova. If he’s not going to get any better…

81. Eric Young says:

As of right now, Nova’s current WHIP is higher than Swisher’s lifetime.

82. Dan in Athens says:

If Nova had any options left, he definitely be visiting Scranton again. The inconsistency is ridiculous.

• The Other Matt says:

Then I guess CC would be in Tampa (Yankees, not Rays), in that case?

• Mikhel says:

Nope, Dan’s comment is because when Nova debuted he had good starts then began to struggle, he was sent to the minors and when he was recalled he dominated; that happened again the next two seasons.

• Dan in Athens says:

Yes, from what I can tell there are magical waters in Scranton that turn Nova from sub replacement to near Cy Young. It is amazing.

Seriously, he’s got good stuff and I love the guy, but he really does seem to pull everything together if he gets kicked in the pants/imbibes the miracle waters of SWB. That being said I’m not panicking on small sample size.

83. Mikhel says:

SuchinghhjfgdysjsghgGGGGGGGGAAAAAGGG! Longoria and Myers again :’(

84. Mikhel says:

Fitting that Nova in spanish is no va = “doesn’t go”… :/

85. Dalek Jeter says:

Pitch 1: 95mph
    Pitch 2: 96mph
    Pitch 3: 95mph
    Pitch 4: 94mph

The first 4 pitches of Beltran’s AB. This kid throws GAS.

• Mikhel says:

Throwing hard is not the only quality, he can also manage the corners of the plate, pitches low but in the zone, can mix offspeed pitches when needed.

Nova can throw hard but his location either doesn’t changes or throws consistently belt high or even higher, throws pies basically.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Nova tops out at 94/95 and sits at 92/93, I’m not saying that’s not enough, it absolutely is and Nova isn’t pitching anywhere near to his stuff. On the other hand, I was just pointing out that Archer SITS AT 94/95. That’s a young Verlander fastball.

• Mikhel says:

yeah, but as I pointe out: pitching hard is not enough, you can sit at high velocities like Nolan Ryan but if you can not locate the pitches is not going to help, Archer could even get by IF he throws slower and keeps managing his pitches like has shown.

• nycsportzfan says:

Novas problem is and continues to be not being able to locate consistently. That is obviously not gonna change anytime soon, and probably why he wasen’t much of a prospect or heavily thought of for so long.

• Mikhel says:

Yeah, he is consistent only at being inconsistent with his location, when he is throwing low pitches he can dominate with slow grounders and the occasional high pitch can be devastating at high velocities but he has been unable to do so consistently.

He has the stuff, but needs to educate his location.

86. forensic says:

So, how about we just talk about team and RAB chemistry again? :-)

87. will says:

good pitchers always shut down the offense.

88. Peter says:

Man, Nova really does kind of suck. Seems to have very little going on above the shoulders. Disappointment after disappointment with thus guy.

• Mickey Scheister says:

His body language on the mound is awful.

• nycsportzfan says:

He can go on stretches where he pitches downright ace like, but he can’t do it consistently. Hes one of the more frustrating players I can remember, just because the stuffs there. The guy just can’t do it consistently.

If Nuno does well tomorrow, I hope they keep it in mind, and put Nova on notice.

• Mickey Scheister says:

This!! He WILL pitch well tomorrow and even this series out, unless they can start mounting some kind of O today, it’s looking doubtful though.

• forensic says:

Why is it that everytime someone struggles or is inconsistent it’s because they’re stupid or a ‘mental-midget’?

Why can’t it just be that that’s the kind of pitcher and stuff that he is/has?

• Dalek Jeter says:

It’s really easy to put the blame on the person rather than their talent/ability. Ugly, sure, but really easy.

• nycsportzfan says:

Nova has terrible body language, and his always saying he did well after games he was terrible last yr, was frustrating as well. I think in this case, its safe to call Nova a dink or whatever.lol

89. The Guns of Navarone says:

“Myers now in scoring position.”

Except you’re always in scoring position against Nova

90. Dalek Jeter says:

2014 Nova = 2012 AJ Burnett on RAB

2014 Solarte = Jayson Nix+Luis Sojo+Miguel Cairo in the Yankee radio.

91. nycsportzfan says:

DROB coming back Tuesday, and Tex tomorrow, which equals, fucking sweetness!

92. Eric Young says:

Over/under for how far into Nova’s post-game interview before he says “felt good” or “confidence”? I’m going with 4th answer.

93. Mickey Scheister says:

Does Nova have any options remaining?

94. Wheels says:

I just wanted to watch an enjoyable game tonight. Thanks Nova, shit.

95. No 2013 again says:

Is Nova hurt? He used to throw 95-96mph but today he’s 91mph.

96. rek4gehrig says:

I’m speechless

97. Mickey Scheister says:

Remember when the Yanks used to dominate the Rays?

98. The Guns of Navarone says:

Thanks for stopping by San Diego

99. Chip Rodriguez says:

Good lord Ivan, WTF?

100. RkyMtnYank says:

Nova used to throw 95+, wonder what happened cuz this ain’t getting it done.

101. nycsportzfan says:

Wow, and 2 think, I thought Cabral was the most embaressing thing I seen in baseball.lol Novas getting close to changing that real quick. Honestly, there isn’t one of us who’d give up 2hrs to Ryan Hanigan in the same game.lol

102. The Other Matt says:

Nobody informed me that Ivan Nova was schedule to throw DP today.

103. No 2013 again says:

90 OPS+ and 21 career HRs in 8 seasons. That’s the guy Nova has allowed 2 HRs to.

104. will says:

Well At least we know Joe will pitch Delin tonight

105. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

CC Sabathia: “this is the sorriest bunch of fucks I’ve ever played with.”

106. LarryM. Fl says:

Ivan Nova = Phil Hughes. Starting to loss faith in Nova

107. Slu says:

I guess since Hughes is gone, someone needs to give up an obscene amount of dingers.

108. Dalek Jeter says:

How well does Nuno have to pitch tomorrow for the team to consider skipping Nova once and giving Nuno a 2nd start?

• WAjohn says:

Well what it should take is I’m thinking 7 innings 2 ER or less 6 hits. With Joe I’d say if Nuno threw a nono, Joe would say something like, well Novas my guy, he had a great second half last year and we are going to do everything (even sacrifice games) to get him back to where he was.

• forensic says:

No matter what, I don’t see them making a change this early in the season.

• LarryM. Fl says:

less than 4 homers

109. will says:

6ip 2 runs

110. forensic says:

Suzyn just read Williams’ post-game comments about removing Harper. I don’t really have a problem with the move, but he’s wrong to make a sarcastic, wise-ass reply to a question about it. He should be above that as the manager.

• The Other Matt says:

That’s why I commented earlier, to me it was childish or immature Williams behalf for going about it the way he did afterwards. Not to mention I don’t agree with the move to begin with, because Harper always runs out balls hard, so it’s like give the guy a break.

111. Dalek Jeter says:

They finally got to the Harper thing in the radio booth and they compared it to Jeter…who dogged it on a base hit like a week ago.

112. Mickey Scheister says:

Archer is just dominate and it’s soooo frustrating watching him just mow down this team, regardless who they run out there against him. See ball, hit ball! C’mon guys! Joe should threaten to bring back V. Wells or Overbay aka Loverbay aka Overbuy aka the Great Herpe if they can’t hit this guy. All these pop-ups and this weak contact is killing me!

113. Dalek Jeter says:

WE HAVE A RUN!

KELLY FREAKING JOHNSON!

YAY!

At least if they’re going to tack a run onto Archer they were nice enough to do it with another guy on my fantasy team.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Kelly Johnson? Really? I mean, sure he’s got a lot of pop for a guy with 2B eligibility, but I wouldn’t think he averages’ or gets on base enough to be worth carrying.

• forensic says:

The versatility of 3 positions and the bit of power worked enough for me. It’s a very deep league.

• nycsportzfan says:

Yah, I agree, picking KJ late makes sense. Hes coming into a lineup he can just be a guy, and has the short porch to take aim at, and as you said, has multiple position versatility. He’s been a sleeper ever since he signed with Yanks. Alot of people seen him having one of his good yrs , now that hes with NYY.

• Chip Rodriguez says:

Johnson’s owned in both of my 12 team leagues. Decent power and 1B/2B/3B/OF eligibility, which is damn useful.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I didn’t realize he had OF eligibility and completely forgot he had 1B eligibility…versatility like that is definitely useful though. I take back my confusion Forensic.

• Chip Rodriguez says:

that’s what Yahoo FBB gives him. Dunno about ESPN, but I wish I had him.

Grabbed Prado late in the draft for utility, but he’s sucked so far.

114. No 2013 again says:

OMG, a run!

115. Mickey Scheister says:

A RUN…YES…YES!!!

/changes pants

116. nycsportzfan says:

There we go Kelly Johnson! Get us on the board, baby! Lets fucking go!

117. nycsportzfan says:

Kelly Johnson is definitely making himself look like a bargain signing early on, like many figured he would.

118. forensic says:

Suzyn makes it sound like it’s some extremely complicated, advanced math to find out what Longoria hits against the Yankees in his career.

Hint, it’s .310/.394/.591 (not including tonight), and that only took me about 4 seconds to ‘calculate’.

• WhittakerWalt says:

On Thursday night her and Pops took quite a while to find the part of the stadium scoreboard which showed the pitch count. The Rays have been playing in this same stadium since 1998. Presumably the scoreboard configuration has not changed in that time, yet these two nimrods couldn’t figure out where to look to find the pitch count.
      Research is really not their thing.

• Dalek Jeter says:

is that against current Yankees or in his career vs all Yankees. if it’s the latter, where’d you get it?

• forensic says:

That’s his career split against the Yankees. It’s right on BR.com. I figured you would’ve known this.

119. The Guns of Navarone says:

Yeah, shift him to the right side… and pitch him away, even off the plate away. Makes perfect sense to me.

• forensic says:

The shifts aren’t always based on where you’re going to pitch a guy, it’s based on what a guy does with pitches. When they shift, it’s because the guy tends to pull everything, even outside pitches, and rollover on them (like we’ve seen Tex do a million times). If they were comfortable enough to go the other way consistently, then they’d be a much better hitter and wouldn’t be shifted against as much.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

I felt like complaining!!

LOUD NOISES!

• Tom says:

An interesting article on pitching to, or against, the shift.

Way too many #’s, but the takeaway is the GB rate on outside pitches that are grounded the other way isn’t that significant where it would dramatically alter the benefit of the shift. And given that location is better for limiting damage on balls in the air, it’s probably the best place to pitch with or without the shift.

120. Wheels says:

It’s getting ugly.

121. Peter says:

Not buying this AT ALL. He gets hammered and all of a sudden he’s hurt? Fuck Nova, he’s a lying piece of shit.

122. Cuso says:

Oh, great. Possible surgery.

123. Rolling Doughnut says:

Just walk Longoria outright.

124. YankeeDJW says:

This is bad, even by Nova standards.

125. nycsportzfan says:

I guess Nova was hurt after all?

126. YankeeDJW says:

How do bullpen phones just stop working? It seems to happen quite a bit in baseball, but my desk phone at work or the landline at my parents’ house get far more use and have far fewer problems it seems.

127. Zach says:

I didn’t think we were going to sweep, which is why last night was so frustrating.
    It’s one thing to have a game like this, it’s quite another to lose the way we did last night.

128. The Other Matt says:

You could just about bet Nova will miss his next start. At the vey least.

129. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Could this day get any worse?

I said it ironically, so I think I’m OK.

130. nycsportzfan says:

I like this Matt Daley. He can pitch some. I thought he should make the team outta ST.

131. Chip Rodriguez says:

Matt Daley’s career ERA is now 54.00

132. nycsportzfan says:

Okay, i’m done with this one. The Rays are just lambasting everyone outside of CC and Betances this series. I’ll check in with you guys tomorrow.

133. nycsportzfan says:

I will say this one more thing. If we win tomorrow, after these 2straight beatdowns, it’ll still be a split in Tampa. A Win is the same weather its 1-0 or 10-1.. Tampa fans can jump for joy all they want, but if we split tomorrow, then they gained nothing.

134. Mikhel says:

JoeG showing us why he is a genious: intentional walk to pitch Myers who is killing yankee pitching…

135. Chip Rodriguez says:

numbers put up by the Rays so far: 0, 1, 3, 2, 4.

Should I worry about a 5 run inning soon?

136. Wheels says:

Dick Vitale is a Rays fan?

137. Mikhel says:

Agreed, splitting a series with a division rival is fine, specially with two other division rivals going at it (Os vs bosox).

138. YankeeDJW says:

Grantland’s fantasy mailbag doesn’t seem high on Gardner ever getting his base-stealing form back:

139. Zach says:

The Rays have always been a thorn in our side, especially when we play them in the Trop.
    All we can do now is hope to split tommorrow before going to Boston, who is having issues of their own.
    But let’s be clear too, if anyone think one team is going to run away with this division, they’re fooling themselves.

• Mikhel says:

Do you remember that time the Yanks scored like 20 runs in a game vs the then Devil Rays… and the next day the Devil Rays scored 20 or so runs against the Yanks? Late 90s maybe, or maybe mid to late 2000′s when Longoria came up to the majors and hit his first HR against the NYY (like Myers and I think also Upton hit his 1st vs the Yankees).

• Zach says:

I do indeed. It sucked back then as well.
        I’ll say this on our rivals, there are issues with all of them.
        Hence why I think once we can get our bullpen sorted out, we will be a force to be feared.

140. Zach says:

Let’s be blunt folks, there were going to be bullpen issues that weren’t going to be figured out in spring training.
    Better for us to figure out how to fix it now versus down the line.

141. forensic says:

Well, Mr. Daley, this wasn’t the best way to make your case for staying on the team. I always find it hard to kill guys coming in to blowouts (since the offense probably sees pitches like beach balls at that point) but this was pretty bad.

142. Wheels says:

Holy shit, make it stop.

143. Cuso says:

More walks. Telling you, especially since Dellin is going to have to pitch some innings tonight, he’s getting sent down as well.

• will says:

The umpire was squeezing delin on the first walk, that guy was struck out, and the error didn’t help, the 2nd walk. He didn’t get the call and he walked that guy. He still struck out 2, gave up no hits. With more consistent work, he’ll be better.

144. Jedile says:

Betances to the Rotation!

145. Kiko Jones says:

Nova is a POS beyond redemption, he’s done; let’s trade him, DFA him, burn him in effigy; I never liked that guy and knew he was worthless from the day I first laid eyes on him, etc. etc. etc.

Did I miss anything from that hit-parade of nonsense? WTF?!

Sure it’s frustrating but are we the ultimate ‘what have you done for me lately?’ fanbase or what? Ugh.

146. Mikhel says:

Dean Anna pitching!!!!!

Wade Boggs, Swisher and now Anna. Swisher pitched I tHINK vs Tampa, Boggs pitched with the NYY vs Anaheim and WITH Tampa…now Anna vs Tampa… the Tampa connection!!!

and it seems like a knuckleball like Boggs

147. Winter says:

Anna doesn’t look like he has his best stuff today. Keeps leaving pitches up in the zone.

148. Chip Rodriguez says:

Wow. So Dean Anna went from emergency backup catcher a few days ago to emergency backup bullpen guy?

Talk about utility!

149. Mikhel says:

Anna seems to be balking but the umpires are not calling the balks… LOL

150. YankeeDJW says:

We can still come back!

151. forensic says:

Game over. I say it takes about 20 seconds for Mike to post the recap thread.

152. Mikhel says:

By the way: I am watching José Contreras (ex Yankee) pitch with Tijuana right now in the Mexican Baseball League.