Apr

Jacoby Ellsbury day-to-day with sore left hand

Joe Girardi announced this afternoon that Jacoby Ellsbury is day-to-day with a sore left hand. The hand has been bothering him for a few days but tests came back clean. He was scratched from tonight’s lineup and Girardi hopes he will play tomorrow.

Ellsbury broke a small bone in his left hand during Game Six of the World Series last year according to Peter Gammons, so this soreness is a concern only because of the recent fracture. Tests did not show structural damage though. Hopefully he’s back in the lineup tomorrow or the next day.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Slugger27 says:

you seem a lot less concerned about structural damage than I would’ve guessed. that seems like a big deal. structural damage likely means surgery down the line.

2. The Other Matt says:

I was watching MLB Network just now and they had video of Joe Giradi saying Michael Pineda left a sim game in Tampa after one inning, due to tightness in his lat muscle.

3. RetroRob says:

There’s no such thing as day-to-day with Ellsbury. It’s all or nothing. It’s month-to-month!

More seriously, I wonder how many games they’ll get in here. I think tomorrow is a total washout, and not sure how heavy the rains will be tonight.

• I'm One says:

Right. This just shows he is actually injury prone. He’ll probably take 2 months to heal.

(Sarcasm, in case you weren’t sure.)

4. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

It’s also cold and windy as shit out there for late April. I’m sure that makes a sore hand feel great.

I’m not concerned. For now.

We should be grateful Pineda’s not pitching tonight. In this weather, he’d have come out looking like the Toxic Avenger.

5. vicki says:

always with the negative waves, axisa.

6. mustang says:

What the fuck is going today?

Its like a flashback to 2013.

7. forensic says:

Well, if Ellsbury’s gotta miss a game at least it’s for a pitcher that Ichiro of old did really well against. Now we just gotta hope that old Ichiro does really well against him too.

8. Jersey Joe says:

Okay.

Stay calm, stay calm.

(Heavy breathing)

I’M STAYING CALM! THIS IS NOT A BIG DEAL! NO, YOU’RE MAKING IT A BIG DEAL!

9. pinedamaybegreata(formerlyMonterowasdinero) says:

Bryce Harper went from “soreness” in his thumb to being out for 2+ months.

Fingers crossed on Ells

10. CapitalT says:

I’d hate to see the number of injuries if they had actually played a game yesterday

11. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

The sky is falling, yea. Outside interference, yea. The Macho Man “Randy Levine” is not happy with the team’s conditioning, yea. I’m going to have to head down into the clubhouse and start firing worthless trainers and strength coaches, yea. And believe me when I say that the Macho Man “Randy Levine” will not tolerate any excuses. Ooooooh yeaaaaaaahhhhh! Dig it!