Two quick roster notes now that Double-A Trenton has been eliminated from the postseason, leaving Triple-A Scranton as the only affiliate still playing:
- RHP Erik Swanson was removed from the Triple-A postseason roster and placed on the disabled list with a groin injury, reports DJ Eberle. RHP Domingo German takes his place. German is still working his way back from a nerve issue and was MIA for a bit after High-A Tampa’s season ended last weekend. Now he’s with the RailRiders.
- SS Kyle Holder has moved up from Trenton to Scranton, according to Conor Foley. I had a feeling that was coming. Said so last night. Holder has not been added to the active roster yet. He’s with the team in more of an emergency capacity right now.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (7-2 win over Lehigh Valley in ten innings) they won the best-of-three first round postseason series three games to one … they’ve advanced to the International League Championship Series for the third consecutive season … they’ll face Durham (Rays) when that series begins Tuesday night
1. LF Mark Payton: 0-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 HBP
2. SS Rey Navarro: 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 K — went 6-for-14 (.429) in the series … the Yankees signed him out of an independent league as a roster filler earlier this summer
3. 3B Gio Urshela: 1-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB — he went 5-for-13 (.385) in the series
4. 1B Ryan McBroom: 1-4, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K — drove in the go-ahead run with a swinging bunt grounder in the tenth
5. DH Mike Ford: 0-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K — he went 2-for-13 (.154) in the series … the RailRiders will need more from their best power bat in the Championship Series to win
6. RF Zack Zehner: 1-4 — threw a runner out at first
PR-RF Quintin Berry: 0-1, 1 R, 1 K — pinch-ran for Zehner in the ninth and scored the game-tying run from second base on an infield single
7. 2B L.J. Mazzilli: 0-3, 2 K
PH-2B Bruce Caldwell: 1-2, 1 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI — swatted the insurance grand slam in the tenth
8. CF Shane Robinson: 1-5, 1 RBI — he went 2-for-16 (.125) in the series
9. C Francisco Diaz: 1-4, 1 R
RHP Mike King: 6.2 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K, 1 HR, 9/1 GB/FB — 64 of 98 pitches were strikes (65%) … if this was his final start of the year, he finishes with a 1.82 ERA and 160/30 K/BB in 168 total innings
RHP Raynel Espinal: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GB/FB — 14 of 22 pitches were strikes (64%)
RHP Joe Harvey: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 1/1 GB/FB — eleven of 16 pitches were strikes
The season is over for the Double-A Trenton Thunder, the High-A Tampa Tarpons, the Low-A Charleston RiverDogs, the Short Season Staten Island Yankees, the Rookie Pulaski Yankees, and the two Rookie GCL Yankees affiliates. Trenton was swept in their best-of-five first round postseason series. None of the other teams affiliates qualified for the postseason.