Couple quick notes to get us started:
- Good report from Kiley McDaniel on RHP Roansy Contreras’ season debut the other day. He says the 18-year-old was 94-97 mph with his heater, with a slider that flashed 60 and a changeup that flashed 50 on the 20-80 scouting scale. That’s an above-average fastball, a potentially above-average slider, and a potentially average changeup.
- SS Thairo Estrada may be done for the season. Triple-A Scranton manager Bobby Mitchell told DJ Eberle that Estrada has a back issue and it’ll be difficult for him to return before the end of the year. Thairo was originally placed on the Triple-A disabled list with a wrist issue.
- As for RHP Erik Swanson, he is on the Triple-A disabled list with a groin issue, reports Conor Foley. That stinks, but it is good news in that it’s not his arm. He’s had elbow trouble in the past. Sounds like Swanson could miss a few weeks.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (7-5 loss to Lehigh Valley)
- CF Tyler Wade: 1-1, 2 R, 4 BB
- LF Mark Payton: 2-5, 1 2B, 1 3B, 3 RBI — got picked off first … I expected some team to give him a look as a Rule 5 Draft fourth or fifth outfielder these last few years, but it hasn’t happened
- 3B Brandon Drury: 0-5, 2 K
- 1B Tyler Austin: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 E (fielding) — here’s video of the homer
- RF Billy McKinney: 0-3, 1 BB, 2 K
- C Kyle Higashioka: 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 E (throwing)
- RHP Chance Adams: 4 IP, 3 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, 7/3 GB/FB — 55 of 89 pitches were strikes (62%) … 5.21 ERA and 71/31 K/BB in 65.2 innings
- RHP Tommy Kahnle: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/2 GB/FB — 18 of 25 pitches were strikes (72%) … 9/3 K/BB in six innings down here