Masahiro Tanaka started and was not sharp at all. Everything was up in the zone. The result: Four runs on four hits and a walk in 1.1 innings. Ouch. Chasen Shreve, who seems to be a lock for the Opening Day roster, tossed 1.2 scoreless innings in his spring debut. Tommy Kahnle struck out two in a scoreless inning in his spring debut. Jordan Montgomery struck out five in three scoreless innings. Here are the box score and video highlights, and here’s the rest of the day’s news from Tampa:
- Jacoby Ellsbury was scratched from today’s lineup with tightness in his right side and tests revealed a “mild oblique strain,” according to Aaron Boone. Even mild oblique strains can linger. They’re tricky. There’s no timetable for Ellsbury’s return. [Coley Harvey, Bryan Hoch]
- Clint Frazier is still experiencing concussion symptoms and went for an MRI today. “Yesterday when we upped his workload, it didn’t go as well as we had hoped. With the concussion thing, we’re just going to be very careful, very cautious with it,” said Boone. [Pete Caldera, Erik Boland]
- Russell Wilson pinch-hit today and struck out. He’s leaving camp Sunday. Wilson went out to dinner with several Yankees last night and spoke about needing “consistency and obsession” with having a good daily routine. “Winning is a habit. You have to train that way,” he said. [Caldera]
- Chance Adams will be on the mound tomorrow afternoon. The game will be televised. Andujar, Bird, Gregorius, Brandon Drury, Estevan Florial, Aaron Hicks, Austin Romine, Justus Sheffield, and Gleyber Torres will all make the road trip as well. [Caldera, Pete Abraham, Mike Mazzeo]
- MLBPA chief Tony Clark visits all 30 teams in Spring Training, and today he was with the Yankees. He said Yankees players have “significant” concern about the free agent market. “They all understand how what happens with one (player) effects another,” he said. [Boland]
This is tonight’s open thread. This afternoon’s game will be replayed on YES (7pm ET) and MLB Network (6am ET). MLB Network will replay a different game tonight. All the local hockey and basketball teams are in action except the Nets, plus there’s some college basketball on as well. Talk about anything here as long as it isn’t religion or politics. Thanks in advance.