Jul

Edwar earns his call-up…again

Triple-A Scranton (3-1 loss to Richmond)
Kevin Thompson: 1 for 4, 1 2B
Justin Christian: 1 for 4
Erubiel Durazo: 0 for 2 — the clock is ticking…
Alberto Gonzalez: 0 for 4
Eric Duncan: 1 for 3, 1 2B, 1 K
Mighty Matt; 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 5 K — there he goes with those walks again (not that he ever stopped)
Colter Bean: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 K — with all the guys returning from the DL, you’d have to think he’s a goner…
Edwar: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K — still sporting a 0.57 AAA ERA

Double-A Trenton (9-1 win over Binghamton)
Reggie Corona: 3 for 6, 1 2B — welcome to Trenton, son
Colin Curtis; 3 for 5, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 BB, 1 K
Bronson Sardinha: 3 for 4, 1 2B, 1 BB
Noah Hall: 4 for 4, 2 2B, 1 BB, 1 K
PJ Pillitere: 1 for 5, 1 K
Alan Horne: 6 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
Kevin Whelan: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 Er, 1 BB, 4 K — woo hoo! he’s back to relieving!

High-A Tampa (11-6 loss to Sarasota)
Ajax: 1 for 5, 1 2B, 2 K
Giambi: 1 for 3, 1 BB
Jose Tabata: 2 for 5, 1 K
Edwar Gonzalez: 2 for 4, 1 K
Vech: 1 for 5, 1 2B
Frankie Cervelli: 0 for 3, 1 K — yeah, so we can forget about the beginning of the season
Kevin Russo: 2 for 3, 2 2B
Brett Smith: 3 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 1 K — guess he didn’t take the demotion well
Josh Schmidt: 2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K — terrible

Low-A Charleston ( 5-2 loss to Hickory in Game 1 of the doubleheader)
Mitch Hilligoss: 1 for 3
Seth Fortenberry: 1 for 3, 1 K
Ian Nova: 4 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
Jessie Hoover: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K

Short Season Staten Island (4-2 win over Oneonta)
Justin Snyder: 3 for 4, 1 2B
Damon Stublett: 1 for 3, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K
Braedyn Pruitt: 2 for 4, 1 HR
Jose Gil: 1 for 4 — bringing his average closer to .250, one game at a time
Chris Farley: 4 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K — daaaaa yanks da yanks da yanks da yanks da yanks
Craig Heyer: 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Jonathan Ortiz: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K — the hit was a homer

Rookie GCL Yanks (3-2 loss to the GCL Phillies)
Abe Almonte: 1 for 5, 2 K
Zoilo Almonte: 1 for 5, 1 HR
Jesus Montero: 0 for 4 — caught
Casey Erickson: 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Jacinto Gonell: 3 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 4 K — 1 ER in 18.2 IP

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. John says:

So what was the deal with Wheelan starting? Did they just want to push up his innings total for the season?

2. Joseph P. says:

Yeah, I think that was the case for both Whelan and Claggett.

3. ShawnT says:

so is betances officially on the DL

4. Tommy says:

Somebody get Snyder and Pruitt out of Staten Island already. I guess it won’t matter long term, but they are just killing everything in Short-Season. It’s not like there’s not a bevy of players to get rid of at Charleston either.

5. Bill says:

Whelans last two appearances,
    4 0 0 0 1 8
    I hope he keeps it up

6. C-Note says:

not that Horne was lights out tonight, but please, at this point, if you’re going to be wasting AAA starts with Mighty Matt can Alan get a shot at some AAA time before the end of the summer? with Olendorf & JoBA in the Pen getting ready to go to the show there should be some space for him in the rotation

with Proctor gone & Farnsworth being… well Farnsworth, maybe Edwar can get a legit shot this time… I know his last appearance was UGLY but I seem to recall Farnsy, Bruney, proctor and the gang having a few of those themselves this year

Whelan is positioned well for a mid season call up in 08′

7. The Scout says:

It will be interesting to see whether Torre uses Edwar this time. The NY Times piece on the Proctor trade suggested that the organization (read: Cashman) was frustrated with Torre’s refusal to use new pitchers and forced his hand by dealing Proctor. It isn’t clear whether that was the writer’s personal spin on the move.

Brett Smith is either hurt or his mechanics have gone bad, probably the latter. His walk totals rose sharply at Trenton over the past month. He’s in Tampa to get straightened out.

DeSalvo has used up his chances in the Bronx. Better to move Horne up.

8. Joseph P. says:

C-Note and The Scout,

An interview with Nardi Contreras I recently read might clear things up. He basically said that Horne was in line for a promotion, but that they just didn’t have the room at AAA. With Hughes and Karstens rehabbing, plus the Joba and Kennedy promotions, the rotation was full. Once Joba makes his way to the Bronx, I would expect Horne to be in AAA for the last couple of weeks of the season. That is, unless they want him pitching in the AA postseason.

With Smith, the reason for his demotion was his suspect control. Nardi said it hadn’t been that great all year, and it had been worse recently. So when they got Clippard and Wright from AAA, he was the logical one to go.

9. C-Note says:

Joseph P-

yea, I read the same article- I just thought with JoBA & Orlendorf in the PEN that he might’ve made the jump last night- but someone pointed out to me when Karstens(as long man) and HUGHES(as THE MAN) get brought up this week that Horne’s next start should be at AAA (good point about them possibly keeping Horne for AA playoffs- I wouldn’t agree with the move, I’ve thought he has been ready for the jump for months, but if Eastern Titles mean something to them he might be left behind just becasue of the other promotions and ineffectiveness of T-Clip & Chase that staff if suddenely pretty thin)

10. Mike says:

I stumbled across your site not to long ago, and I’ve gotta give you guys props, this is definitely one of the best baseball (not just Yankees) blogs out there. Keep up the great work.

Anyways, I’m a bit of a stickler for details, so:

Nick Schmidt = Josh Schmidt (Nick was the Padres’ 1st round pick this year)

Travis Snyder = Justin Snyder (Travis Snider is the Blue Jays uber-outfield prospect)

Again, keep up the great work guys.

11. Joseph P. says:

Thanks for the pickups and the compliment, Mike. Our normal minor league guy, also named Mike, is off on his honeymoon, so I’m picking up temporarily.

I always get Snyder/Snider mixed up. My Internet was going buggy last night, so I figured it was Travis, and that the Blue Jays guy was Justin. Figures I guess wrong.

The Nick Schmidt was a Freudian slip of sorts, stemming from my close following of this years’ draft.

Of course, they’ve been corrected.