Sep

Thanks for nothing, Al Reyes

After tonight’s meltdown, D-Rays’ closer Al Reyes is now 0-3 with 12.00 ERA & 3.00 WHIP vs the Red Sox this year. Three of his 4 blown saves have come against the Sawx.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised really; Reyes has been released 5 times in the last 6 years, after all.

Categories : Asides

1. kris says:

Not surprising. Al Reyes is on the RS payroll.

2. Mike A. says:

Oh, and raise your hand if you had Carlos Pena hitting 42 HR this year.

3. NYFan50 says:

You know, Buster Olney thinks Rivera would be a good fit for the Devil Rays.

4. dan says:

For every Eric Gagne there is an Al Reyes

5. Dude says:

honestly, i’d rather take the WC so we play Cleveland in rd. 1 instead of having homefield against Anaheim, so if the angels keep losing, i dont care taking the WC.

6. Dude says:

or rather, i dont mind…

7. Stuart says:

dude is correct. red sux enjoy the angels, they will run on varitek all day long….

the angels will beat the sux..

8. RichYF says:

How great would it be to have CP at first right now? Jeez, that guy is seriously mashing in Tampa. Oh well, at least we kept Andy Phillips.

9. Jon says:

Am I missing something? What does getting the wild card have to do with playing Cleveland instead of LA? Nobody knows who is going to finish with a better record – by winning the wild card, we may play LA instead of Cleveland.

10. Relaunch says:

This sucks. My last home game of the regular season to go to and I have to see Mussina with a strong probablility of a meltdown.

11. Patrick says:

Yeah, I’ve stopped being surprised. I expect it to happen. If they do hold onto the lead, that’s the surprise.

12. Mike R. says:

I heard Buster Olney thinks Al Reyes would be a perfect fit at a McDonald’s near you.

13. Bob says:

Why do people comment on players and teams they seem never to watch? It is true that Reyes has been terrible against the Red Sox. He has also blown 4 saves in 28, now 29, chances. (I am not sure how many, but I think Rivera has blown a few also.) Unfortunately, three of Reyes’s have been against Boston. In other words, except for one team, he has been excellent all year.

Reyes is not a great pitcher, and after a fabulous first two months he has been more erratic. But when healthy he has been a solid middle reliever during his career. As a closer, he has been very good this year despite his blips against Boston. And although I will not recount the details of his stats, note that in his 55.2 innings this year, he has allowed 44 hits, 18 walks and 67 Ks. He does not deserve scorn no matter how frustrated NY fans are.

The Yankees are not looking up at the Red Sox because of the Rays or Reyes unless it is because in 3 of the 4 times he faced NY he pitched 3 innings giving up 0 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs and 4 Ks. In the other game he did allow 2 runs, but the Rays won that one anyway 10-8.

14. Ben K. says:

Wooo. He finally nailed down a save against the Sox.