Jan

With friends like these, who needs Mike Wallace?

As we all get ready to ignore watch Roger Clemens’ appearance on 60 Minutes tonight, take a read through this excellent piece at Baseball Analysts by Pat Jordan. In it, he discusses his experiences covering Roger Clemens in 2001. The focus is, of course, on Clemens’ relationship with Brian McNamee and the way the Rocket would seemingly blindly follow McNamee, who Jordan calls “sour, suspicious, and taciturn.” It certainly makes me wonder why teams would so accepting of these sketchy trainers during the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Categories : Asides

1. DanElmaleh says:

If that’s what this “journalist” thought of McNamee at the time, how come he didn’t make a story out of it. If something isn’t right, there’s usually a story. This is so typical. Something happens where we find out something was bad about someone and all of a sudden everyone goes, “you know something was never right with that boy. He was a such and such, always reading A Catcher In The Rye.” Ya, he knew something was up with him at the time… I buy it….

Can anyone sell me a bridge that connects Brooklyn to…. oh wait….

2. DanElmaleh says:

I just read the article. I guess he claims he did mention something in the article about McNamee. However, not having the original I can neither confirm or deny the mention. In my mind, I imagine this as the typical “Clemens, like many athletes today, has a almost fanatical devotion to his personal trainer, Brian McNamee.” I wonder if that is what he wrote…

3. bkight says:

here is the link to Jordan’s article.

4. JMM says:

I’m not so sure you can blame the Yankees for hiring a “sketchy trainer” like McNamee Ben. It says in the Mitchell report that Clemens “persuaded” the organization to hire him:

In 2000, the Yankees hired McNamee as the assistant strength and conditioning coach under Jeff Mangold. According to McNamee, the Yankees hired him because Clemens persuaded them to do so. In this capacity, McNamee worked with all of the Yankees players. McNamee was paid both by the Yankees and by Clemens personally. Clemens hired McNamee to train him during portions of several weeks in the off-season. McNamee also trained Clemens personally for one to two weeks during spring training and a few times during the season.

What were they going to do, say no to his demands? They could have, but really had no reason to believe that something might be askew.

And how many trainers are actually “sketchy”? According to the Mitchell report, the only so-called “trainer” was McNamee. Radomski was a “clubbie” with the Mets, not a trainer.

I’m sure there were some bad seeds, but I don’t think it was even close to a majority

5. barry says:

I’m with Roger fellas.

6. Rich says:

How could Clemens not know that Pettitte, who was in effect his protege, was getting HGH injections from his trainer. It’s not credible, imo.

• barry says:

It’s obviously not something Pettitte would brag about, and if Clemens is as anti-PED ad he says he is, Pettitte definitely would not want Clemens to know. Think about any type of drug user, they don’t want people knowing.

• Rich says:

Even assuming arguendo that Clemens is anti-PED (which I do not believe), I think it’s reasonable to think that McNamee would not have injected Pettitte without first informing Clemens, because if Clemens was anti-PED, McNamee would have likely known that, and by injecting Petttite without Clemens’s knowledge, McNamee would probably have thought that he would be putting his relationship with Clemens in jeopardy if he ever found out. Given how beneficial his relationship with Clemens was, it doesn’t seem reasonable that McNamee would do that merely to inject Pettitte.

• barry says:

You’re talking about some guy who got his degree from some bullshit “school” if you want to call it that. This guy isn’t first class, you heard Clemens the day before the report came out McNamee was chatting it up about fishing, he didn’t care about Clemens as a friend, he cared about the money he was putting in the bank. I think its a little crazy to not think that McNamee wouldn’t of done whatever possible to make more money behind Clemen’s back because thats obviously all McNamee cared about. If McNamee had any integrity like you’re assuming he would of first respected the integrity of the game. McNamee is scum, has no integrity, and definitely isn’t more reliable than Roger Clemens.
          Oh and “arguendo” isn’t a word.

• Rich says:

McNamee’s interest in money rather than integrity is central to my argument.

Why take a little extra money to shoot up Pettitte when, if he knew it was something that Clemens would be pissed about if he found out, it would have put the big bucks at risk?

To me, it’s crazy not to think he would have protected his cash cow.

7. Steve S says:

I will say this, all those people in the sports media world who questioned Mike Wallace’s integrity owe him an apology. The guy asked the questions that he needed to ask.

As for Roger’s responses, some were well worded and some came off as odd. Either way he is right there is no way to prove his innocence or guilt unequivocally.

8. DanElmaleh says:

So all this guy said in that whole, long, rambling article was a few basic comments that McNamee dictated to Clemens what he ate and how he worked out. I sensed nothing negative or concerned or troublesome about McNamee in this story.

Just someone saying, “I knew there wasn’t something right about him” after the fact.

Too funny.

9. barry says:

Oh and “arguendo” isn’t a word.

10. rawdawgbuffalo says:

i have a different purview of the issue clemen—-cy

11. TurnTwo says:

IDK if its been worked on or in line for posting, but Clemens, via the Houston Chronicle, has sued for defamation of character.