May

Game 51: Something’s cooking

With 19 of their next 28 games coming against teams with losing records, don’t you get the sense that this team is about to go on a major roll? Something good is cooking in Yankee land, and I’m not talking out the BBQ’s in everyone’s back yard today.

The Yanks face a lefty starter for the upteenth time this season, with Garrett Olsen taking the hill for the O’s in Camden. This is the same Garrett Olsen that the Yanks bludgeoned last week, and Girardi was kind enough to fill out the same lineup responsible for that massacre.

My stupid lineup trick worked yesterday, so let’s keep it going.

1. J-Dam, LF
2. D-Jet, SS
3. B-Ab, RF
4. Alexander Emmanuel Rodriguez, 3B
5. H-Mat, DH
6. S-Dunc, 1B
7. R-Can, 2B
8. C-Moel, C
9. M-Cab, CF

And on the bump, the molten hot D-Ras.

Notes: Wilson Betemit is back with the team, the Former Attorney General was optioned back to Triple-A Scranton to make room on the roster. There’s nothing wrong with the move, Alberto was rotting away on the bench for the most part, and he should be getting regular at-bats, something he’ll be able to do in SWB.

Categories : Game Threads

1. doty says:

time to make our move on the redsux!

2. McCaff says:

yeah writing A-Rod would have been really weird… that nickname just doesn’t work!

3. steve (different one) says:

h-mat? sounds like something you have to get rid of before entering the lincoln tunnel

4. Mike A. says:

Damn. Damon just got owned.

5. Jamal G. says:

LoL, Johnny Damon just got owned.

6. Jamal G. says:

I really hope Willie Randolph doesn’t get fired. Also, this racial issue the Mets fans have with the Latino Mets players is getting on my nerves a bit.

• Mike A. says:

I think they’ll keep Willie on long enough so he can coach at the All-Star Game. After that though, he’s on borrowed time.

• LiveFromNewYork says:

Of course I love Willie because he was in the Bronx for so long but really he should have done something about all those dancing celebrations and “in your face” nonsense last year. This year he has to stop telling people to move on from the collapse. Mets fans are still freaking pissed and I can’t say that I blame them. That team definitely doesn’t care about its fans and I think Willie should have reigned them in long ago.

7. Jamal G. says:

Mike, I know nothing of Alfredo Aceves and I usually would never trust a Minor League scouting report from a Major League beat reporter but what PeteAbe said about Aceves makes me wonder if he has potential as a middle reliever/long-man/spot-starter type.

“He’s 25, around 91-92 with his fastball. He has a solid two-seamer and a plus changeup.”

8. Mike A. says:

Man, that Weeks-Markakis-Wolf for Lincecum-Ellsbury-Keppinger deal I made in fantasy is looking better and better by the day, even if Kepp is on the DL until June.

9. LiveFromNewYork says:

Hzilla…go baby go.

10. E-ROC says:

Matsui is seeing the ball really well right now. Its just bananas.

11. Joey says:

lol that was awesome. Watching the game on MLB.tv (they have it through YES). Shelley steps up to bat, and about as clearly as I can hear Kay, someone shouts out “SHELLEY IS A GIRLS NAME!!!” Awesome, love baseball fans

12. Mike A. says:

Moeller took that one like a champ.

13. Joey says:

wtf is up with Melk man?

14. E-ROC says:

Cabrera isn’t doing too good this month. Maybe, he can have a hot summer like last year. Hopefully….

15. Chip says:

This ump is calling pitches in the opposite batters box constantly. At least he’s consistent though

16. Jamal G. says:

Is there any doubt that Edwar Ramirez’s Changeup rates as an 80? Speaking of which, the guys over at the forums at nyyfans.com were having a discussion about which players in the Yankees organization (Major League level included) posses 80-grade tools or pitches. Who do you guys think of and what tool or pitch do they have that you think rates as 80 on the scouting scale?

Alex Rodriguez – 80 Power
    Joba Chamberlain (As a reliever) – 80 Fastball
    Edwar Ramirez – 80 Changeup
    Jesus Montero – 80 Power
    Andrew Brackman – 80 Fastball
    Brett Gardner – 80 Cranium

• Mike A. says:

80 is a big number to throw out there. I’m a firm believe that there’s no such thing as an 80 pitch, there’s just too much variation from inning to inning, outing to outing.

I’m comfortable with saying A-Rod has 80 power and Giambi has an 80 eye. Beyond that though, I don’t think I’d say anyone in the org has 80 anything. Maybe some 70′s, but even that’s a big number.

Well down with Gardner’s head, btw.

• steve (different one) says:

with Mike’s comment noted, i’d say Joba’s splitter is close to an 80 too.

Jeter has an 80 fist pump.

• Jamal G. says:

I’ve heard the arguments against rating a pitch as 80 but I’ve always felt that the variations you speak of has nothing to do with the pitch itself. The change in velocity and varying degrees of control/command I think has more to do with mechanics and fatigue than the actual talent you posses to throw said pitch.

What I mean is that your mechanics are universal for every pitch you throw, so to say a pitcher’s mechanics being a reason for a pitch not realizing its potential should not be a knock on the pitch itself. So if Andrew Brackman’s leg kick (hypothetical) is proven to be the reason for his Fastball losing a tick or two, that should not factor in the grading of Brackman’s Fastball. I understand it’s difficult as hell, if even possible, to determine if a pitcher’s mechanics is the reason his pitches are being held back but if he was right mechanically at one time and then someone noticed he’s doing something different (mechanically) then his stuff begin to lessen, you can’t necessarily blame that on the pitch itself.

• Mike A. says:

That’s true. Thinking about it now, saying there’s no such thing as an 80 pitch because of the variation is like saying there’s no such thing as 80 power because the guy doesn’t hit a homerun whenever he steps to the plate.

I’m the last person that should be talking, but lots of people on the internets throw around 80 grades like they’re nothing. I almost never use scouting grades or terms like “plus-plus” when I blog about a player. I’m no scout, and I have no idea what a 65 breaking ball looks like. I know what a good breaking ball looks like, so that’s how I describe it.

• Jamal G. says:

I did feel a bit odd writing out those few 80-grades because I was just thinking in the back of my head, how can I realistically say all these players have 80-grades when I myself am skeptical of ANY such grade given to a player.

I use the scouting grades/terms because I am guilty of just reading the scouting reports of others and and to a sense I will “average” out the scouting reports. I usually don’t and hate making an assumption on a player based on one article or report I read but that’s why I try to read at least three and come to my own conclusion based on the three different angles. I realize that is in no way a perfect science, if a science at all, and leaves me open for a lot of second guessing and questioning but for my needs I find it as the best method.

• Simon B. says:

Yeah, I would even be hesitant on Alex’s power and Giambi’s eye. Plus-plus certainly, but there have been better, so you’d prefer to reserve a perfect score.

Even respected scouts seem to throw the number “80″ around quite a bit. I think Callis called Maddux’s fastball an 80 which seems absurd to me. Maddux’s velocity sat only upper 80s MPH even in his prime.

Edwar is exciting to me, and his changeup is certainly impressive. I don’t know if it’s the best in the game right now, but it stands top tier along with Hamels, Santana, and Shields.

• Mike A. says:

Well, Maddux has 80 command, for sure. It’s not just great command, it’s historically great command.

• Simon B. says:

Well, I can’t find it right now, but I don’t think he said command; he said fastball, at least I think.

• Mike A. says:

I know exactly what Callis piece you’re talking about. He did say 80 fastball. But at the same time, velocity is only one part of what makes a fastball.

• Simon B. says:

Maybe, but I find it hard to call a fastball essentially perfect when he was sitting at 89-90 MPH.

• Simon B. says:

Also, don’t be so quick to annoint Brackman’s fastball as a godlike pitch. He (reportedly on some of the college guns) touched 100 once, but he was sitting much lower. We’ll see how he comes back from TJ surgery.

• Jamal G. says:

Wow, haven’t heard that but thanks for the info. All reports I’ve read he sat about 94-97MPH and hit 100-MPH now and again.

• steve (different one) says:

the thing with Brackman is that 94 is going to feel faster because he is releasing it that much closer to the hitter.

• steve (different one) says:

if A-Rod doesn’t have 80 power, there is no such thing as an 80.

17. Mike A. says:

Phew, Montero’s back in the lineup.

18. Chip says:

Wow, huge K there by the Razamatazz!

19. Chip says:

I’m quite impressed how Olsen is hitting the corners, this isn’t the same guy we saw a week ago

20. Mike A. says:

You don’t run on Nick Markakis. Bobby Meachem should know this by now.

21. Jamal G. says:

“Evan flow”, “Girl with the curl”, and ‘O’Neill, you’re an idiot’. What are some other things Michael Kay likes to say ad nauseam?

22. Randy says:

why is shelley in the lineup? is ensberg that bad?

23. Randy says:

i would say at this point its neck and neck and shelley’s D is almost as scary as his bat.

24. Mike A. says:

Justin Upton must be in some kind of slump. It seemed like two weeks ago he was hitting .350, now he’s down to .280.

25. Randy says:

I agree about Lane.

26. Jamal G. says:

Darrell Rasner now has 16 straight scoreless innings (dated back to his 2nd inning @ DET on 5/10) over the course of 2+ starts.

27. Jamal G. says:

Alex Rios’ fantasy impact FTW.

28. Jamal G. says:

Derek Jeter loves America. He swings at the first pitch in a tied game with two outs and nobody on just to get the Memorial Day ceremony in on time. Classic guy.

29. Chip says:

Man Olsen with 7 strtikeouts over 4 innings, he’s getting the perfect combination of hitting the corners and getting all the calls

30. Mike A. says:

D-Ras dropping curves for strike one. Love it.

31. LiveFromNewYork says:

D-Raz says promote this.

32. Mike A. says:

Is that Brian Schneider in a Toyota of Manhattan commercial?

“Buy or lease a new 2008 Camry, and you’ll have an 82 career OPS+ like me!”

33. Rich says:

Suboptimal.

34. Rich says:

Rasner may be tiring.

35. Jamal G. says:

Nasty hammer Mr. Rasner.

LoL, Chien-Ming Wang looks like he’s about to own the hell out of somebody in a round of laser tag.

36. Mike A. says:

Who is Melky Cabrera and what has he one with the guy who did something with him earlier in the season?

37. Ben K. says:

Is there a more useless member of the Yanks than LaTroy Hawkins?

38. Jamal G. says:

Can’t blame tht bloop RBI 1B on LaTroy Hawkins but you can fault him for that two out BB to Brian Roberts that pushed Ramon Hernandez into scoring position.

39. Rich says:

Britton really needs a shot.

40. Jamal G. says:

Looks like the anti-Joba “The Starter” dogs have their first piece of meat to chew on.

Ouch, that hurts Jose.

• LiveFromNewYork says:

The lack of talent in the bp is not a reason to derail a brilliant career. That’s not Joba’s problem and shouldn’t affect his career.

41. pete says:

plus i wouldn’t even call it a lack of talent, more of a presence of latroy hawkins and aubrey huff and kevind millar are both the biggest yankee killers on the planet so it was bound to happen. let’s just win the series

• LiveFromNewYork says:

Agree. Definitely an overreaction. We have some good bp pitchers, Veras, Bugs, Ohlie, and others who can be good (Britton) and our old friend Crapshoot Farnsworth.

42. Mike A. says:

Wow, two-time defending CWS Champs Oregon State didn’t make the postseason. They were on the bubble, and I figured they’d get in based on their rep.

43. Jamal G. says:

Brian Cashman is on with Buster Olney on ESPN right now. Taped from Mike & Mike earlier this morning.

44. Ivan says:

Can we finally say that Jason Giambi is better than Shelly Duncan?

45. Mike A. says:

Nice job ruining the shutout Chad.

46. Double-J says:

Rasner still pitched well today, if he could have got some offensive support it might have turned out better.

Incidentally, for you guys at the site, how come lately I’ve been getting a strange version of the comments system with just a light red top and a while half below where I can reply? I usually *fixes* itself after I make a comment, but I can’t see the default nested style. Never had this problem with other sites/blogs, only this one, and only recently.