Jun

Game 79: Damon returns to leadoff spot

Welcome back to the lineup, Johnny Damon. While Melky Cabrera filled in admirably, it’s nice to have Damon back in the top spot. Now, if only he can finish off June like he started it…

Happy birthday Derek Jeter. The only player with more career hits on his 34th birthday: Robin Yount. At what point is it a lock that Jeter joins him in Cooperstown? On his 34th birthday, Pete Rose — who shares a birthday with yours truly — had 2,346 hits, 92 behind Jeter. Will Derek Sanderson break Charlie Hustle’s all time record? What the hell…I’m just going to go ahead and say yes.

Apparently, according to Ed Price, Mike Mussina is a perfect 5-0 when pitching in Pennsylvania. Yes, we all know that’s where Moose is from. (Ending a sentence with a linking verb followed by a preposition? Ouch, Joe.)

Bad news for Matsui: the DL is a possibility, according to our manager. I wouldn’t get my hopes up about a Brett Gardner call-up in that situation, though. The smart money is on another appearance by Shelley, if for no other reason than 40-man roster concerns. They’ve got to make a spot for Ponson (probably DFA Moeller, but possibly Chris Stewart, though a Moeller DFA would clear the 25-man spot, too). In any case, with Christian in the bigs, I’m not sure the braintrust would be as apt to make the move for Gardner just yet. Maybe if this is a long term thing…

Anyway, onto the lineup:

1. Johnny Damon, LF
2. Derek Jeter, SS
3. Bobby Abreu, RF
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
5. Jason Giambi, 1B
6. Robinson Can, 2B
7. Melky Cabrera, CF
8. Jose Molina, C
9. Mike Mussina, P

Categories : Game Threads

1. whozat says:

If Matsui is DLed, why not Miranda?

Good lefty DH option…

2. stuart says:

Joesph where is the info on the Krod innings.. The guy barely pitched at AA….

give me the links before I take your word on it….

3. stuart says:

your #’s are bogus those are #’s for Krod when he was 17.. Newsflash Melancon played high school and college also and you do not account for those innings for him, .. that is interesting accounting..

you are comparing a guys innings at 17 going forward to a guy drafted at 22 or so.. Then you state the 22 yr old has pitched less innings, interesting..

If you do not see something wrong with that besides being rude you are STUPID…

Again K Rod’s #’s are from 17 yrs. old………

4. stuart says:

Ban me, but I just proved your #’s are irrelevant.. Unless Melancons innings in college and high school do not count…

again think once in a while…

all those carribean guys playing at 17 are going to have more minor league innings….

5. stuart says:

you are saying Melancon in the Pac 10 is not a higher level then rookie ball or A……

6. LiveFromNewYork says:

does anyone else think those waterfalls are stupid?

7. Jamal G. says:

Chris Russo interview Phil Hughes here, nothing of major note but still: http://www.wfan.com/pages/744503.php

8. stuart says:

Joseph let’s agree to disagree we both are Yankee fans and let it rest.

thanks.

9. Jamal G. says:

That mofo carried, wow.

10. Will says:

I’m so confused. What’s the point of contention over all this K-Rod vs. Melancon stuff?

11. Chip says:

Way to start the game. On a side note, what does everybody think of the new Gameday?

12. Chip says:

Wow 12 pitches, 3 extra bases given up, no outs. That’s not quite the way Maholm wanted to start

13. Joseph P. says:

1) I feel like a douche for sitting here arguing while we’re pummeling the Pirates. Everything, just everything is being rocked. I love it!

2) I deserve this:

14. LiveFromNewYork says:

I can’t believe how good it is to not hear Suzyn and Sterling talk about the magnificent view. That was the car ride from hell.

15. Jamal G. says:

A-Rod had that stolen easily, and I mean easily.

16. stuart says:

yeah cano really showed his great eye on that pitch..

that is Cano, you scratch your head some times with him..

17. LiveFromNewYork says:

I wanna see Moose’s family.

18. Joseph P. says:

Man, that two-seamer is just nasty. Drops right in there at the last second.

19. Peedlum says:

What is the status of Chris Britton? And for that matter, Brian Bruney? Yankee relievers are looking a little too svelte these days.

20. Ivan says:

Come on Mike

21. steve (different one) says:

melky, molina, and mussina.

what are the odds of scoring a run this inning? 100-1?

22. Jamal G. says:

Jose Molina has really taken that expression “double or nothing” a bit too literally.

23. Mike A. says:

So how’d they score the 3 runs? I just got in…

24. Jamal G. says:

If a pitcher gets four strikeouts in one inning, do those putouts all go to the Catcher? Scott Shields struck-out four guys in one inning a week or two ago so that might debunk Michael Kay’s stupidity.

25. Mike A. says:

Hanger and a half.

26. steve (different one) says:

this mohegan sun commercial makes me want to rip my eyes out

27. Jamal G. says:

That was an amazing shot of the city of Pittsburgh in the darkness like that, wow.

28. Mike A. says:

That sky looks mean.

29. Yankee1010 says:

It’s a good thing the Pirates have their night sellout crowd on getaway day. I’m sure the Yanks will be alive and well at 2 P.M. tomorrow after getting in well past midnight tonight.

30. Mike A. says:

Figures. The rain delay comes the day after the CWS ends.

Someone yell if the game starts up, I’m hitting the PS3. Thanks.

31. Jamal G. says:

Interesting story on how newest Yankee, Mikey O’Brien, “caught” and deals with his Type 1 Diabetes.

32. Jamal G. says:

It is always so fucking hilarious how fans boo draft day picks of their teams. Like you are some prick who gets your information from ESPN and your local newspaper but you think you know better than the front office that gets paid to evaluate talent and have been doing their jobs for decades. Fucking morons.

33. Ivan says:

Shit I like Dalino already and I,ve always been intrigued by him.

34. E-ROC says:

I can’t believe the Clippers passed up Jerryd Bayless for Eric Gordon. Don’t they need a replacement for Shaun Livingston who broke his leg in half?

35. Ivan says:

Why would the Bucks draft Alexander to play the same position as Richard Jefferson.

36. Yankee1010 says:

It’s going to be great if this rain delay lasts a while. 7 innings from the bullpen the day before a DH is a reicpe for success.

37. E-ROC says:

Is it raining hard or what?

38. jm says:

wait.. if Matsui goes on the DL… wouldnt it make sense to DH Damon (starting monday against Texas) .. and call-up Gardner to play the outfield for that series … i mean, they still want to keep Damon healthy and win games right? wouldnt this be the best option?

• Mike A. says:

They’ll probably just use Matsui’s spot for Ponson, and play Christian in LF.

• whozat says:

Makes sense.

Another thing that sucks…AAA just had a bullpen start tonight, so their relievers are all fried too. So…it’s not like they can even burn up someone today and send him down tomorrow for a fresh arm, really.

39. Manimal says:

God damn it I WANT SOME BASEBALL NOW. The sox aren’t playing either god this is boring

40. Manimal says:

Im watching spongebob. Thats how bored I am.

41. Joseph P. says:

If Rock Band drums were real drums, I’d be Alex mothafuckin Van Halen.

42. BillyBall says:

Just a story for you all to keep me from banging my head into the wall with this delay. I Watched the David Cone story on Yes during rain delay. There was a clip of Coney striking out Big Papi when Big Papi first became a Sock. Papi looked pathetic and his swing was very slow. Than all of a sudden he became this great player. Makes you wonder though. I have a friend that told me his bud worked for the Yankees in the visitors clubhouse and Manny as an Indian was the biggest juicer he saw come into the stadium as he would inject himself in the middle of the club house and talk about it in front of the entire team and the attendants in the locker room. Now it could be a bullshit story but I heard 2 different stories. I may be one of the only Yankee fans that gets a real kick out of the Manny being Manny shit but I heard 2 different stories about Manny and you wonder if it was confirmed how it would effect his hall of fame chances being that right now he has to be in the top 5 right handed hitters in all of Baseball. I know Giambi juiced and Clemens, and loads more, but you really have to wonder the effect it had on the Sox storied turn around into the power house team they are!

43. Mike says:

Im watching from out of town via MLB Extra Innings, which cuts out completely during delays . Has YES Network said anything about this game resuming, or is it bedtime?

44. Greg G. says:

At least this thread is entertaining!

Given that they’re going to shred their bullpen tonight, perhaps they’ll make a move for a reliever before the DH tomorrow? Robertson? Patterson?

45. Felixfella says:

Patterson is on the D.l

46. BigBlueAL says:

Game postponed, makeup date July 10 at 7 pm according to Pete Abe. Fuckin sucks…..

47. Jamal G. says:

Is it that bad to play 161-games?

48. Manimal says:

That sucks, this game starts over and everything that happened so far does not count.

49. Manimal says:

If Ponson or Giese comes up short and we need some long relief help do you bring in Moose? He has crazy Bullpen stats.

50. Yankee1010 says:

Under what circumstances are games suspended instead of cancelled? Does it have to be an official game when the weather hits?

By the way, fuck you, Pittsburgh and MLB.

51. McCaff says:

So i work at a restaurant, and John Franco came in tonight to eat and is a shitty tipper. Just to show how much the mets suck.