Jun

The longest DotF ever

All six affiliates in action with two doubleheaders AND an IPK rehab appearance AND a College World Series update? Are you kidding me?!?

Anywho, Jeff Karstens was named the International League Pitcher of the Week, The Mexican Gangster was promoted to Scranton, and 15th rounder Matt Richardson signed. He was an all-glove, no-hit shortstop coming into the draft, but the Yanks are going to groom him as a pitcher. On to the updates!

Triple-A Scranton (6-0 win over Columbus)
Brett Gardner: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 3B, 1 BB, 1 K – Chad Jennings said he scored from second on a groundout & threw a runner out at home from CF … 7 hits, 7 walks, 6 runs scored, 4 stolen bases, 2 strikeouts in his last 4 games
Cody Ransom: 0 for 1 – left the game after flying out in the first
Chris Basak: 1 for 2, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 K
Shelley Duncan: 0 for 4, 1 RBI
Juan Miranda: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI – 14 hits (4 doubles) in his last 5 games
Jason Lane: 0 for 3, 1 BB
Eric Duncan: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K
Matt Carson: 0 for 4 – had been 13 of his 36
JD Closser: 3 for 3, 2 R, 2 2B, 1 BB
The Ghost of Kei Igawa: 6.2 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 6-7 GB/FB – 61 of 105 pitches were strikes (58.1%)
David Robertson: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 2-0 GB/FB – 12 of 17 pitches were strikes (70.6%)
Scott Patterson: 1 IP, zeroes, 0-3 GB/FB

Double-A Trenton (4-3 win over Erie)
Ramiro Pena: 0 for 4, 1 K, 1 HBP – 6 for his last 33
Austin Jackson: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 SB
Colin Curtis: 1 for 2, 2 BB, 2 E (fielding, throwing) – still just 4 for his last 31
Edwar Gonzalez: 1 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 CS
Jose Tabata: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB
PJ Pilittere & Reegie Corona: both 2 for 4, 1 R – PJ K’ed & committed a passed bal … Corona homered, drove in 2 & K’ed twice
Jason Jones: 5 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 4-7 GB/FB
Kevin Whelan: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 0-3 GB/FB
Mark Melancon: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 6-1 GB/FB – dominant

High-A Tampa
Game 1
(7-6 win over Daytona in 8 innings, walk-off style) Tampa turned 5 double plays as a team, four of the 4-6-3 variety
Eduardo Nunez, Mitch Hilligoss & Jose Gil: all 1 for 4 – Nunez & Hilligoss each drove in a run … Nunez also K’ed
James Cooper: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 HBP
Andres Perez: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB
CJ Henry: 3 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 CS – and just like that, he doubles his season hit total
Luis Nunez & Tim Battle: both 2 for 4, 2 R – Battle had a walk-off double plus another RBI earlier in the game
Ivan Nova: 7 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HB, 13-4 GB/FB – 26 ER allowed in his last 27.2 IP
Phil Bartlewski: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 3-0 GB/FB
Game 2 (2-0 loss to Daytona in 7 innings)
James Cooper & Kevin Smith: both 1 for 3 – Cooepr K’ed once, Smith twice
Mitch Hilligoss: 2 for 3, 2 CS - 14 for his last 39
rest of lineup: combined 0 for 13, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 CS, 1 E – Eduardo Nunez, Andres Perez & Tim Battle each drew a walk … Seth Fortenberry committed a fielding error
Zach McAllister: 6 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 10-5 GB/FB – the only hit was a solo jack … talk about a hard luck loss
Jon Hovis: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

Low-A Charleston had their game suspended due to rain after the second inning. The weather has been awful down there; they’ve played less than 4 innings of baseball since Friday. I’m guessing they’ll finish it up tomorrow. I’ll update the stats then.

Short Season Staten Island (4-1 loss to Aberdeen)
Ray Kruml: 0 for 3, 3 K – now that’s not what a leadoff hitter is supposed to do
David Adams: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K – 3 for his last 7 after starting the season 0 for 10
Braedyn Pruitt: 0 for 2, 2 BB, 1 K – he’s hitting .195 (22 for 113) this year
Brian Baisley, Dan Brewer, Mike Lyon & Taylor Grote: all 1 for 4 – Baisley drove in a run … Lyon doubled … Grote K’ed twice, the other 3 each K’ed once … Grote also committed a fielding error
Jahdiel Santamaria: 0 for 4, 1 K
Addison Maruszack: 0 for 3, 1 BB, 2 K
Luke Greinke: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 3-1 GB/FB – came out after a lengthy rain delay
Brad Rulon: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 2-2 GB/FB
Andy Shive: 2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K

Rookie GCL Yankees
Game 1
(3-2 win over the GCL Tigers) this was the completion of Saturday’s game that was suspended due to rain
Jose Pirela: 0 for 3, 1 BB
Corban Joseph: 0 for 4, 3 K – still looking for his first career hit
Zoilo Almonte: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Chad Gross: 0 for 2, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP
Tom Baldridge: 1 for 2, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Jimmy Paredes: 1 for 3, 2 RBI, 1 K - sleeper
Chase Weems, Andres Dionicio & Neall French: all 0 for 3 – Weems made a throwing error
Francisco Rondon: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 4-4 GB/FB
IPK: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 1 HB, 0-2 GB/FB – he was on a pretty strict pitch count, hence only 3 IP
Chase Wright: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 2-2 GB/FB – ditto IPK’s comment
Game 2 (2-1 loss to GCL Tigers)
Zoilo Almonte & Chad Gross: both 1 for 4, 2 K
Tom Baldridge: 1 for 3, 1 K
rest of lineup: combined 0 for 19, 1 R, 1 SB, 1 HBP, 6 K – 5th rounder Chris Smith made his pro debut as a DH (batting second), and scored a run after getting hit by a pitch & stealing a base
Dicky Marquez: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 4-5 GB/FB
Nick Asselin: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Gabe Tatis: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 3-0 GB/FB
Ryan Flannery: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

Georgia beat Fresno State 7-6 in Game 1 of the best-of-three College World Series Finals tonight. Fresno’s rotation is a mess thanks to injury and/or fatigue, so they had to go with all relievers. They didn’t use a pitcher with an ERA under 6.75 until closer Brandon Burke entered the game with his 3.00 ERA in the 8th and, of course, blew a 3 run lead. Game 2 is tomorrow at 7pm and can be seen on ESPN. If Georgia wins they’ll take home their first CWS Title since 1990 (and second overall), when they beat some All-American from Stanford twice in the CWS Finals. His name: Mike Mussina. See? The world does revolve around the Yanks.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Miles Roche says:

Don’t see any reason why Brett Gardner or at least Justin Christian isn’t promoted. . .

2. Greg G. says:

Hey, Mike…

Not to get all nit-picky on you, but I think you need to correct Jason Jones’ line. I think it was something like: 5 8 2 1 3 4.

Don’t know why I noticed that, but there you go.

Can’t wait for the promotion of Melancon.

3. Mashmore says:

Kennedy and Wright in the same GCL game? Those fans certainly got their money’s worth…

• RustyJohn says:

Saw a game at Ft. lauderdale Yankee stadium in high school- double header with Mark Hutton pitching one game and Sterling Hitchcock the other. Those games would probably be the only ones where you could use the word “dominant” and Mark Hutton and Sterling Hitchcock in the same sentence.

4. Manimal says:

I think this is a good time to remind you how much I appreciate the DotF.

Anyways, Good stuff from the Minor league teams. If there was a time to let Brett Gardner up and ship Melky it would be now. However, there was some bad news from today. RAB favorite Nick Johnson will have season ending surgery. Poor Guy.

5. Steven S says:

Minor error with McCallister’s innings.

6. yankz says:

Gordon Beckham’s HR swing in the 8th was one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen from a righty. Sky’s the limit for him.

7. huuz says:

i’d also like to voice my appreciation for the hard work put into DotF. thanks!

this is my first stop for milb news. thanks, again.

also, i this McAllister pitched 6 IP…i could be wrong?

8. A.D. says:

All the innings for Melancon are starting to get odder

Gardner has 29 SB already

Zmac is transitioning to High A well, had 6 inning tonight

9. Chip says:

I’d like to see Melancon at least thrown up to AAA to see what he can do. There’s obviously not a whole lot left for him where he is

• A.D. says:

You would think it would be better for him to get the innings over Steven Jackson, who hasn’t done much this year

10. A.D. says:

7K in 3in for IPK, not bad, see if he can put together a nice month of good starts in the minors

11. A.D. says:

And honestly with the Garnder scoring from 2nd on a groundout, it’s like he knows we’re chattering about him and he just wanted to throw something in there for us

12. A.D. says:

Per Chad Jennings Cox was activated & Ponson sent down to AA

• Chris says:

Ponson won’t do anything between now and Friday, so it doesn’t matter what organization he’s assigned to. He’ll be in NY to pitch half of the double header on Friday.

• Mike A. says:

Ponson was sent down as a placeholder I believe. They’re going to call him up to start one of Friday’s games, but they wanted to use the AAA roster spot on someone with more … potential. There, that’s putting it nicely.

• A.D. says:

I’d rather see someone else get it, but hey if we win than who cares. The quick Cox comeback is good, and I’m all for Aceves getting his call up. Campillo is a former Mex leaguer putting up good numbers this season

13. Manimal says:

Oh theres one more mistake

ha just messing with you.

14. Nefarious jackson says:

why bother with DOTF anymore– according to Adrien retire 21 the jack off all these kidz are gonna suck anyway :)

saw this comparison someone posted tonight

Ellsbury @ AAA

87 games, .298 avg, .360 obp, .380 slg, .740 ops, 33 sb, 19% xbh, .26 runs produced per ab,

Gardner @ AAA

73 games, .292 avg, .408 obp, .436 slg, .844 ops, 29 sb, 29% xbh, .32 runs produced per ab

• Chris says:

In the majors, Ellsbury is .301/.366/.432 with 43SB in 102 games. It’s not normal to have better major league numbers than AAA numbers, so don’t expect a similar result if Gardner is called up. Remember how well Shelly Duncan was doing in AAA.

• Nefarious jackson says:

you’re right Chip, but minor league numbers have to mean something or on what bais would anyone ever be promoted?
        Two players similar age in the same league (Ellsbury & Brett) is a viable comparison. I also believe Robbie Cano put up better numbers in 2006 & 07′ than he did in the minor leagues

• greg says:

don’t forget ellsbury is a few years younger than Gardner too.I dn’t think there is much of a question that Ellsbury is a better prospect, I’d like to see what gardner could do in the majors right now, he can’t hit worst than melky.

• Jamal G. says:

Jacoby Ellsbury is 18-days younger than Brett Gardner.

• Nefarious jackson says:

thank you Jamal, was just looking that up myself

Hmmm… 18 days really doesn’t qualify as much younger, does it???

• Eric says:

Nope, but that does mean that Ellsbury was a year younger than Gardner is now when he was putting up those numbers. I don’t think anyone is saying that Gardner’s better than Ellsbury, but it may not be as enormous a disparity as many people think.

• tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

Also remember that Gardner has been blocked by Abreu, Matsui, Damon, and Cabrera. Ellsbury was blocked by Coco Crisp, which is like being blocked by a box of Cookie Crisp.

If the roles were reversed, Gardner would probably be in the majors and Ellsbury would still be in Scranton…

• Casper says:

Minor league numbers certainly mean something. For that matter, numbers at any level matter. The problem with your argument is (you know what’s coming next) sample size. To steal a popular recent argument – your conclusion may wind up being right, but your process is flawed.

• Nefarious jackson says:

Sample size? Gardner has hit around .300 every stop in the minors with a lot of SB… flawed processes?

I think people have missed the point– not that Gardner is going to step right in and put up the numbers Ellsbry is having this year- but that HE DESERVES promotion to see what he can do. He’s putting up a solid year and sounds like a winning player

• Casper says:

I’d like to see Gardner called up at some point and I agree he has had a nice minor league career, I’m not arguing against that. But that’s not what you said in your post and that’s not what I reacted to. I disagree that you can draw a “viable comparison” from 87 ABs for one guy and 73 ABs for another guy in AAA. Yes – I think a sample size of 73-87 ABs is entirely too small from which to draw a “viable comparison,” and I would call the drawing of comparisons from samples that size a flawed process. Call me crazy I guess. You didn’t say “Gardner has hit around .300 every stop in the minors,” you said “two players similar age in the same league (Ellsbury & Brett) is a viable comparison,” and you based that comparison on a sample of approximately 80 ABs.

• D says:

He’s using games played, not ABs.

• Nefarious jackson says:

thank you D. If you want to critique the conclusions thats fine, but please actually attempt to read what was written. 80 AB? No actually half a season.

• Casper says:

Lol. Ok, clearly that’s my bad. But 80 games is still a small sample-size, I stand by my earlier comments. I apologize if my tone was personal or if I was antagonistic, I try to stay away from that stuff.

But, on that same note… I clearly “attempted to read what was written,” and I didn’t critique the conclusions, but the methodology. This is a trivial discussion (and I’m a Brett Gardner fan, I’d like to see him promoted), but I stand by my earlier comments. I still don’t believe in “Yankee prospect X has similar stats to Sox prospect Y over an 80-game sample.” Agree to disagree on the methodology and hope that your conclusion is correct.

15. Nefarious jackson says:

Basis, not bias…

16. A.D. says:

Whomever wanted Gardner’s assists on the season, it’s 6

17. Joey says:

Missed this Steve Phillips commentary, but ShysterBall in his game wraps:

“Diamondbacks 2, Red Sox 1: Danny Haren (7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, ugly neckbeard) outpaces Josh Beckett (8 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, ugly necklace). Overheard during broadcast: Steve Phillips, describing baseball’s state of parity by explaining that there are two or three really good teams but the rest aren’t very good at all. That, actually, would be the opposite of parity.”

Oh the Phillips strikes again. What would happen if they put him and Morgan on the same game?

18. Nefarious jackson says:

To look at the ages and what they did in the Minors Brett had a career very similair to Ellsbury, especially at AAA… except without the hype

• Jamal G. says:

I don’t know much about Jacoby Ellsbury from a prospect standpoint but from what I’ve read on both he and Gardner, Ellsbury has the better contact ability and slightly more pop in the bat. Other than that I think you can pretty much wash everything out.

19. dan says:

When the little league world series starts maybe that should be added to the DotF…. Mike’s gotta earn all $52,000+ this site is worth.

• Manimal says:

or you could just watch sportscenter, they usually go overboard with the little league world series.

• dan says:

I was poking fun at the absurd length of this DotF. If he actually posted the LLWS I think I’d go back to reading Was Watching.

On second thought, maybe not.

20. Miles Roche says:

Mike,
    Isn’t Melancon on some kind of Innings Limit for the season after TJ?
    I mean, he has already thrown 54 innings with a half a season left. Seems like an awful lot – to me – for someone who has been a reliever his whole career. . .

21. [...] « The longest DotF ever 24 06 2008 [...]

22. Tripp says:

It won’t stop raining down here in Charleston.

RiverDogs need to change their schedule so that they play during the day because as soon as 5 PM rolls around the humidity kicks in and the storms kick up real fast.

23. stefan says:

Switching gears a bit, can someone please tell me why Ivan Nova is a prospect? I don’t think he’s had back-to-back good starts in the last two years, and he seems to get absolutely pasted when his stuff is just slightly off.

I don’t have a scouting report on him nearby, so maybe there’s something I’m missing here. But is there really anything at all to get excited about regarding Nova?

24. tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

Hey, maybe this was addressed in a separate thread that I missed, but I just read a story on ESPN about how the A’s, Reds, and Rangers are the frontrunners for Michael Inoa, and that we’ve dropped out of the bidding…

What’s the word on this, why have we soured on him? Is it just the price tag? 6’7″ 16 year olds with three pitches don’t grow on trees…

25. [...] One year ago today, I posted the longest DotF ever. [...]