Jun

Yanks promote Robertson

This should make everyone happy: the Yanks have called up reliever David Robertson from Triple-A Scranton. The righty has certainly earned his chance, allowing just 48 baserunners in 51.2 IP this season. He’s struck out 187 men against just 54 in 136 career IP. Robertson last pitched on Thursday, throwing 24 pitches in 2 shutdown innings, so he should be good to go today. No word yet on a who’s going down.

Categories : Asides

1. Jamal G. says:

I don’t know, I would have liked to see Scott Patterson, Scott Strickland or even J.B. Cox get the call. Roberton’s control has been better of late but I wanted to see that play out for a couple more weeks. But Mark Newman & Co. must have felt he was ready so who am I to say otherwise?

2. Jon G says:

Siiiick! Can’t wait to see him pitch in NY – most excited I’ve been for a call-up since Joba.

I’ll bet you 2 camels and a goat it’s Igawa headed down…

And it sounds like with Matsui on the DL, Gardner could be called up – just reading between the lines…

3. Jon G says:

I think Patterson is still sick, but I hear you on Strickland, having seen those numbers comparisons.

I doubt Cox is too far behind, but they probably want to give him some more time back from his tired shoulder. I’m guessing we’ll see him in July. Cash will want to see what he has internally before deciding whether to move on somebody like Fuentes…

4. Ivan says:

You know, alot of things that could went wrong has went wrong and yet the Yankees are still standing. That is why I still think the Yanks are still the most dangerous team in the AL.

As for Robertson, yeah they could of kept him in the minors due to his control issues, but this probably due to the fact that some of their pitchers are burn out and need an extra arm. Hey pitches well great, he’s here. Lets see what can he do.

5. Ben C says:

I think Cox is going to be essential to any playoff run. We have 0 lefties in the bullpen…

• Mike A. says:

How would Cox solve that problem? He’s a borderline sidearming righty, that’s like, the exact opposite of a lefty.

• Jamal G. says:

That is overrated. I’ll take the seven best bullpen arms any day of the week and replace any of them with the eighth, ninth, tenth, and eleventh best relief arms in my organization no matter what arm they pitch with.

In the 2008 season LHB have a vital line of .240/.311/.369 against LHP while they bat .268/.344/.425 against RHP in 24,517 more Plate Appearances. Seeing as how the vital line for LHB vs. LHP (7,168-PAs) can be viewed as a small sample size in comparison to LHB vs. RHP is it that much of a difference where you would not want your seven best relief options in your Major League bullpen because they were all right-handed?

6. daneptizl says:

As long as Igawa gets the send down…

7. steve (different one) says:

OMG CASHMAN IS TEH IDIOT!!!1! WHERE IS ROBERTSON??!! THE YANKEES NEVER GIVE ANY YOUNG GUYS A CHANCE!1!!!

• cult of basebaal says:

don’t worry, the mouthbreathers can still bloviate that “ca$hmoney” should have traded igawa, hawkins and a bucket of warm AA spit to the Indians for Sabathia

• AndrewYF says:

Or the Steve Lombardi method: I don’t know what he’s trying to sell, but Cashman can’t rely on his farm system to produce players. Look what happened to Hughes and Kennedy. Look what happened to the farm system back in 2000, how many players from that time are playing in New York now? None? Well then, that’s exactly what will happen with this farm system. QED. So now we’re counting on someone who has never had success in the majors to pitch meaningful innings for the Yankees? Cashman screwed up with his blind faith in the farm system. For $200 million, you simply can’t have rookies on the team.

• Mike A. says:

Ryan Bradley was a bust, therefore David Robertson, Mark Melancon and JB Cox will be too. They’re all highly touted righthanded relievers from college. How can Cash be so stupid?!?

• Ivan says:

Wasn’t he same the guy to say to think the yankees look into Jon Garland. Yea, he really want Cashman on the yanks.

8. Jamal G. says:

I think I love inflicting pain on myself, every time the movie “Fever Pitch” is on I just can’t resist watching it. What the fuck happened?!?!

9. Jake says:

According to ESPN MLB Transactions, Ross Ohlendorf was optioned to AAA.

10. Mike A. says:

I would just everyone to know that I lost Jake Peavy to a torn hamstring suffered when he was running bases in my The Show 08 Franchise.

• Jamal G. says:

I lost Joakim Soria for the entire season to a torn labrum in the first inning of the season after I converted him into a starter. Yeah, I win…I think.

11. cult of basebaal says:

if iggy goes down, there’s gonna have to be a secondary move, robertson’s not on the 40 … not that there isn’t plenty of chaff on the 40 man right now (though they could also transfer wang to the 60 day DL)

• Mike A. says:

I’m guessing Edwar gets sent down, and Hughes is moved to the 60-day DL. Just a guess though.

• Steven S says:

Yeah…they’re not keeping Hawkins over Edwar.

• cult of basebaal says:

i don’t see any purpose to keeping iggy and hawkins and giese, though … if Snacks Pontoon is going to get another start or two (and i think he will after yesterday’s games), there’s really only a need for 2 of those 3 at the most (and that’s being generous to the concept of “need”) … and really, in what situation isn’t iggy the 3rd member of that group to get the nod, he’s utterly unreliable against lefties and righties

12. LiveFromNewYork says:

How many of these moves do you think Girardi has input into? He loves to tweak.

13. Jamal G. says:

YES is about to show the final three outs of Doc Gooden’s no-no in 1996. Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr., and Edgar Martinez will be the final batters. This is cool because I’ve never actually seen it.

14. Frank says:

Think its possible Robertson is being showcased for a possible deal??? Cash would be in win/win situation, if he fails he merely goes back down, he’s not ready, if he succeeds many scenarios arise… roster cuts, trades, etc….

• A.D. says:

I mean it could be a showcase, but it’s not like they’re bringing him up for no reason, there are obviously some holes in the bullpen.

15. A.D. says:

be exciting to see what Robertson can do, as others have illustrated in the above posts, its really about quality vs handedness, if robertson can throw up the type of innings as he has had in the minor lefties nor righties will be a problem.

16. Ben C says:

Doc Gooden is one out away from a no hitter

17. Ben C says:

and if anyone is watching FOX, they definetely just showed a picture of Giambi with a photoshopped moustache because they didnt have an updated picture and wanted to talk about it.

• Jamal G. says:

LoL, was wondering if he actually took a new pic just to show it off. Thinking about it now it was a bad job by FOX because the ‘stache they used was way too thin.

18. Ivan says:

So what would be the right comp for Dave Robertson?

19. [...] « Yanks promote Robertson 28 06 2008 [...]

20. Ben B. says:

Igawa going down for Robertson, and cult was correct, they needed to DFA Oneli Perez to make room for Robertson on the roster.

21. Jon G says:

So now Giese is the long reliever in the pen.

Though with Karstens pitching very well, he could get the call up for Rasner if Rasner continues to struggle.

Neither of them are the answer – I’m hoping IPK can come back strong and take that spot…

Now with talk of Matsui possibly having surgery, do we see Gardner called up, with OF of Melky, Gardner and Damon, with Christian as the 4th OF / platooning with whoever is struggling (right now, that would be Melky)? Once they let go of Moehler, that could be the case…

In that case, would AJAX get the call up to AAA? I’d think so the way he’s been playing…

22. Jon G says:

Oops – If they need a regular OF to replace Matsui and Gardner gets the call, it would be Damon/Gardner, Gardner/Melky, Abreau…

I’d see Gardner getting lots of ABs in left AND center, depending on how Damon’s feeling and Melky is hitting…

What of Christian then?