Jul

Papelbon wants to close the All-Star Game

PeteAbe’s got the word. Paps thinks he’s earned it by closing out the World Series last year. With Joakim Soria (292 ERA+, 2 BSV) Joe Nathan (348, 2) and the Hammer of God (384, 0) on the team, Papelbon (178, 4) should be grateful if he pitches after the 6th.

Categories : All Star Game, Asides

1. Ben K. says:

For some reason, this song comes to mind.

2. raymagnetic ®™ says:

*sucks teeth and rolls eyes* Shut Up Papelbon!

• B says:

Papelbon is an A$$ clown just like Schilling!!! I think Schilling is teaching him on how not to keep your mouth shut.

3. Chris A says:

And in sharp contrast there is this….I’m kinda confused now… by Gordon Edes – http://www.boston.com/sports/b.....tra_bases/

NEW YORK — Jonathan Papelbon spent much of the 50-minute long media interview session with the AL All-Stars answering questions about who he thought should close tomorrow night’s game.

He said that he’d love to close the game — he wouldn’t be who he is if he didn’t feel that way — but that he understood it would not be an easy call, since the game is in Yankee Stadium and Mariano Rivera is not only a hometown favorite, but maybe the greatest closer in the game. Papelbon said he’d talked it over with manager Terry Francona a couple of days ago, but that Francona had not made a final decision.

But after the interview sessions were over, Papelbon pulled a reporter aside outside of the hotel ballroom in the Grand Hyatt and said that he had something more to say.

Papelbon took the reporter’s tape recorder, held it to his mouth like a microphone, and said: “This is Jonathan Papelbon, closer of the Boston Red Sox. Mariano Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium.

“I’m making a statement right now, saying I don’t want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that’s the way I feel about it.”

4. A.D. says:

Citing because you closed the W.S. isn’t really a reason. The All-Star game is about individuals, not the team. Why isn’t Ellsbury starting in CF over Hamilton, forget about this year Ellsbury hit .400 in the WS

5. BigBlueAL says:

Fuck Papelbon. He is a mere mortal, but Mo is a GOD.

6. Papelbon is an ass-clown. There’s not a single thing on the list of all things in the history of the world that Papsmear does better than Mariano Rivera, including speaking both English and Spanish.

7. Scott of 3 Kids Tickets says:

This article is so what makes Yankees/Sox the greatest rivalry in the world….

-Scott

8. Frank says:

What is he talking about? Wasn’t the Futures Game yesterday? Mo closes out for the grown-ups. Papelblownsave can wait until he’s all growns up.

9. E-ROC says:

Will anyone watch the HR Derby?

10. Manimal says:

Back from Toronto! It figures the 2 games I go to, the yankees get killed. Halliday and Burnett were overpowering. You would figure atleast Joe Girardi would tell the yanks to take pitches vs Burnett on 3 days rest. 8.1 innings? Come on.

11. christopher says:

wouldnt francona not letting rivera just add to the tension in this rivarly n a tremendous way.

could be enough to get these lazy asses to wake up and start playng baseball n the 2nd half

12. Jamal G. says:

Perfect quote by a Pete Abe commenter:

“Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.”
    -by pat

13. Jamal G. says:

I’m not trying to be a wise ass but I just show a clip of Derek Jeter standing next to Dustin Pedroia on the field during the A.L. All-Star workouts on BBTN. If Karl Ravech hadn’t of said that was Pedroia I still would have thought Jeter was standing next to some lucky kid who will be just shagging fly-balls for the derby.

14. Jamal G. says:

Anybody else think that the All-Star uniforms should have just been the Yankee home and road uniforms? That would have been just a great tribute IMO.

15. Jamal G. says:

LoL Chase the mics are on. “Boo? Fuck You.”

16. Whitey14 says:

Needless insults aside, even Red Sox fans collectively think rivera should get the save opportunity, if there is one. He’s arguably the best closer in the game this year and definitely over the past dozen or so years. It’s the right thing to do. Also, no matter what you think of Francona, and I have mixed thoughts myself, he very much respects the yankees, yankee stadium, mariano rivera and their places in history. If the time comes, he will do the right thing.

• mustang says:

Very well put, but the comments by Papelbon were in very poor taste. Mr. Papelbon needs to keep his mouth close and respect a man that is a hall famer at his position.

• Whitey14 says:

All his comments are in bad taste. He’s a young brash kid who has difficulty handling his success. You know he respects Rivera though based on his comment from a couple of seasons ago. Loosely quoted it was “I want to do for Boston what Rivera has done for the yankees”. He knows how great Rivera is and strives to be that great himself.

I love to see him closing out games (in save situations only), but I truly hope we will not be breaking the bank to keep him around in a few years. No offense, but paying a guy $15,000,000 to pitch 2-3 innings per week is ridiculous. I prefer Billy Beane’s philosophy of building up a young closer, and then at his pre-free agency peak, you deal him off and let somebody else pay him the big bucks. Every team that has a decent farm system can turn out a 30 save closer every few years if need be and I certainly think that Boston and new york fall into that category.

• mustang says:

I understand what you’re saying, but Mo brings more to the plate then pitching 2-3 innings per week. He does it as a closer, in the playoff, for the Yankees and arguably does better then anyone in history. Believe me for what the Yankees were paying him before and for what he has done and is doing the Yankees got off cheap.

17. Colombo says:

Papelboner can suck my left one…

and I truly think that calling Mo “The Hammer of God” is fantastic and amazing…

18. EricS says:

Um, hasn’t Mr. Rivera closed out FOUR World Series? 4>2. F Papelbon.

• Whitey14 says:

Um, Rivera has closed for five World Series (3 up/2 down) and Papelbon wasn’t even around in 2004, Keith Foulke closed that one out. So I think it’s either 3-1 or 5-1 depending on how you want to look at it……

19. Art says:

Paps is an asshole and is lucky to be sitting in the same dugout as the greatest closer ever