Jul

Open Thread: Derby drinking games and the A-Rod Question

Mike and I will be enjoying the Derby tonight from Section 31 of the Tier Reserve (fair territory!). So let’s roll with an open thread. Ostensibly this is about the derby, but use this to discuss trade rumors, the terrible state of the Yankee offense, Brian Cashman‘s head on a silver platter and anything else that tickles your fancy. If you’re over 21 (of course) want to get drunk during the Derby, play the Home Run Derby drinking game.

Anyway, I’ll start the open thread fun.

This morning, Jayson Stark penned a typical A-Rod-bashing column about Alex’s decision to eschew the Home Run Derby. Stark claims that A-Rod first opted out of the “Call Your Shot” promotion that would have featured David Ortiz had he not been injured and then opted out of the Derby all together. Why? Stark posits it is because of Alex Rodriguez‘s fragile psyche.

Well, I’m fairly certain that with his face plastered all over the tabloids these days, A-Rod’s fragile psyche could have handled losing the Home Run Derby. While Stark claims A-Rod may be afriad of ending up on the tabloids after the Derby, I have to wonder how that end result would be any different from, oh, the last two weeks.

Stark slams the Yankees’ hitter — and indirectly Jason Giambi as well — for opting out of the game in their home town. Giambi would have participated had he been selected to the All Star team, but heaven forbid he enjoy a four-day vacation at home for the first time since early February. Writes Stark, “It’s not important enough, apparently, for Alex Rodriguez to risk not living up to his own ego. How sad is that?”

No sadder than an ESPN columnist using the meaningless Home Run Derby as just another platform to tear down A-Rod. It’s an old trope, but would we expect anything else from Stark and ESPN?

Categories : Open Thread

1. pete says:

jayson stark apparently cares about the home run derby. that makes one

2. Scott of 3 Kids Tickets says:

As a ticket seller I can tell you…no NY’ers cared about it….Obvoiusly I didn’t ’cause I’m home with extra tickets lying around…lol…

-Scott

3. dan says:

If A-Rod participated he would have been ripped next time he had an 0-fer for “only being able to hit when it doesn’t matter–in the home run derby”

4. ansky says:

umm did Utley just say:

“boo? fuck you”

5. r.w.g. says:

Stark is a hack.

6. Ivan says:

Why Stark why? I mean it’s not like he opted out of the All-Star game period, it was a home run derby.

7. Ivan says:

Don’t you like when the kids be missing them flyballs really bad.

8. TurnTwo says:

idk, maybe i dont feel quite as strong as Stark, but i think its a little weak ARod didnt opt to participate.

9. A.D. says:

As a Yankee fan, which I am, and almost every frequent vistor of this blog is, we’re the only ones who should really care if A-Rod and Giambi optioned out, and therefore the Yankees aren’t represented.

I for one don’t care that they didn’t, sure I’d like to watch them and root for them, but if they weren’t into it I don’t blame them, they need to rest up for the monster 2nd half the team will have to grab the division!

Suprised ESPN had time to put Stark on, and wasn’t too busy stringing Mets fans along for 45 min during sportcenter on if they could pick up Holliday, only to state the obvious, that they can’t

10. A.D. says:

The call your shot promotion is dumb, and I really don’t consider it a tribute to Babe Ruth

11. A.D. says:

Phil Coke is having a real nice year

12. E-ROC says:

Who the hell is pitching to Chase Utley? Too many triple quarter pounders.

13. stove611 says:

ESPN sure is trying to make this as un-watchable as possible. I changed it after Utley. From Gammons, Phillips and Morgan’s incoherent ramblings to Berman’s played-out routine, I can’t take anymore.

14. Michael says:

I think it is the Yankees thumbing their noses right back at MLB. MLB has never done the Yanks any favors, so why should the Yanks do them any? How many years has it been since an All-Star game in the Bronx? Sure, wait until the final year of Yankee stadium. Ridiculous.

As for Stark, I believe you said it correctly, as this just gave him another platform for him to take jabs at A-Rod and the entire Yankee organization.

15. E-ROC says:

A-Rod is pushing for the Yanks to sign Freddy Garcia, at least according to Joel Sherman.

• christopher says:

wouldnt be the worst idea between him, milton and dare i say it ponson – 1 could work out

• TurnTwo says:

not for nothing, and i kind of go back and forth, but for the price of CC you could prob sign Sheets and Garcia, and go Wang, Pettitte, Sheets, Joba, Freddy Garcia, and have Hughes, IPK, Horne, and company either start at AAA, or move a couple of the upper level arms for a real CF, RF, or 1B.

• christopher says:

why not sheets and sabathia

i have a feelng hank is gong to go nuts wth the check book if this team misses the playoffs.

hopefully they stck to younger guys – the game mnus HGH isnt meant for old men anymore

16. stove611 says:

Did anyone see this on Rotoworld? I don’t know what their source is, or if it’s old, but if it’s true, that’s good news.

Phil Hughes (ribs) threw a 35-pitch session off the mound on Monday.
    Hughes threw 25 fastballs off the mound and 10 curveballs from halfway up the mound. Manager Joe Girardi said that he thought Hughes could be out until September, so it’s encouraging that he’s throwing breaking balls.

17. A.D. says:

Apparently the Pirates are interested in Ohlendorf, per MLB trade rumors

18. E-ROC says:

Josh Hamilton is killing the damn baseball! WOW!

19. Steve S says:

Can we get J Ham?

20. Alex says:

Trade EVERYONE for Josh Hamilton… NOW.

21. usty says:

“this is his new way to get high” ugh. We got it, he did drugs and now is back to being good at baseball. Please stop mentioning it.

22. Alex says:

Additionally, any responsible sober friend watching his friends playing the HR Derby drinking game should now call an ambulance.

23. Jamal G. says:

Lmao at the cop about to choke-slam that kid.

• Ivan says:

word. That’s the NYPD for ya.

• usty says:

It wouldn’t have been Yankee stadium without a fan getting arrested for running on the black. I feel strangely satisfied.

• TurnTwo says:

ha! you had two guys… one tried to continue running down the black and down into the tunnel and was grabbed from behind, and the other was grabbed by the throat on national TV, and he begged for mercy and gave up.

great stuff.

24. Ivan says:

Josh Hamilton has HIV because he is absolutely sick right now.

25. Jamal G. says:

He was off balance on #26, unbelievable.

26. Jamal G. says:

He better get thirty.

27. E-ROC says:

Hamilton’s swing is so effortless. He shouldn’t lose his stroke after the derby.

28. Jamal G. says:

Erin seems a bit too enthusiastic for this interview, LoL.

29. E-ROC says:

Claybon Counsil needs help. His arm is falling off as we speak…..or type.

30. Mike W. says:

That was absolutely sick. Can we please get a hitter like that? I think that may sort of be what we need :-)

• TurnTwo says:

we actually do have a hitter like that, but didnt bother to show up.

i think he was afraid of getting shown up in his own home ballpark.

31. Jamal G. says:

I missed it, did Hamilton really jack one out of the Stadium?

32. usty says:

Rick Reilly sucks.

33. Steve S says:

That one guy (I forget his name) is trying way to hard to be funny and just failing miserably. In fact, some of the stuff he’s saying is also borderline offensive to some people.

34. TurnTwo says:

did anyone else hear Rick Reilly make his joke about how the HR derby this year had too many white guys, and they needed to get latino or black players in it?

the ESPN guys went silent, Karl Ravech said “thats an interesting proposal” and they just kept moving along.

really kind of awkward.

• Steve S says:

Same here. What kind of odds do we have that he’ll get fired for that, or at least have to make an apology?

• Guiseppe Franco says:

He’ll probably have to issue an apology, but he certainly won’t get fired.

The atheist crack had me laughing. And I’m a non-believer myself.

People should get so uptight about it. This country has turned into a bunch of pussies with too much politically correct bullshit.

35. daneptizl says:

We need to keep an eye on number 1 overall picks in the rule 5 draft. :[

36. Cathy says:

ESPN – with the exception of Joe Morgan, Jon Miller and Buster Olney – is extraordinarily anti-Yankee so what would you expect from Jayson Stark??????????

I am still trying to figure out why Peter Gammons is in the Hall of Fame – for being a Boston booster?????????????

37. Mike A. says:

Okay, that was freakin’ awesome.

38. Chip says:

Worst comment of the night

“I think people will point to this home run derby as the end of one era and the beginning of another in baseball”

-Peter Gammons

Seriously? I doubt a homerun derby will EVER be considered even remotely close to being that important

• Guiseppe Franco says:

Steve Phillips said something similar.

He said that Josh Hamilton’s display tonight will be remembered as one of the most memorable performances in the history of Yankee Stadium.

Ha ha.

Uh, Steve – this is Yankee Stadium – not Shea Stadium.

While certainly impressive, it won’t crack the Top 50 greatest performances in the 85 years of history in that yard.

• TurnTwo says:

that from the guy who said the Tigers would have the best offense in the entire history of baseball this year.

um, yeah.

39. kunaldo says:

oh. my. god.

when does he become a FA???

40. Jen says:

Man, the one junkie that Steinbrenner couldn’t manage to acquire.

41. BillyBall says:

A-Rod does have a fragile psyche and he should have been part of the derby representing the Yankees. Sorry guys, but he is classless. As far as a hitter, he is the reincarnation of Dave Winfield. Hopefully the Yankees can carry him to a World Series cause I cannot imagine him carrying the Yankees.

42. BillyBall says:

Listen, I am as big a Yankee fan as anyone in this forum and I am also probably a little older than all including this loser tammiesmitheatsjohncarlos ass! Saying that, If you cannot admit that A-Rod is a classless fool, well than I guess you do not mind each and every year the media circus he creates, the constant comparisons he creates with Jeter, his inferiority complex with everything Jeter, the stupid continuous comments he makes each season (see Pete Abe’s post), the fact that he rarely gets the big hit and he truly reminds me on that aspect of Dave Winfield. There is no denying he is a great talent but until he becomes content with himself and doesn’t let his agent talk for him with the embarrassing contract situation and his new girlfriend who has him into some new Hoobolah religion which is all good and fine except when dealing with a fragile psyche in all that is A-Rod, than maybe he will be fun to watch on an everyday basis. Just my opinion and being that I am a Yankee fan it is a bias opinion.
    Tammiesmitheatsjohncarlos ass? Have you ever seen the movie Superbad? Were you the kid that got caught by the principal drawing pictures of cocks all day? lol

• If you were older than me (I’ll be 31 in 5 days), you’d probably know who Tommie Smith and John Carlos are. But whatever, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. And if you were older than me, you probably wouldn’t end your posts with “lol” like you’re a 14 year old girl. But I digress.

I have yet to hear how ARod is supposedly “classless”. Not participating in the Home Run Derby doesn’t make you classless; the Derby is a wholly meaningless exhibition. Justin Morneau won the Home Run derby and nobody even gave a shit, because he wasn’t even close to being the most impressive hitter in the competition. And ARod is still a better home run hitter than both of them, which renders the Derby pretty meaningless. Skipping a meaningless exhibition shows bad class how?

And the rest of your comment… ARod creates a media circus? He creates comparisons with Jeter? Do you know what the words “cause” and “effect” mean? You’re upset because ARod’s agent is talking about his contract for him? That’s what agents are SUPPOSED to do… get you your money and be your hype man. And last I checked, nobody else ever got that much money, so ARod and his agent are both AMAZING at their professions. If any of that makes somebody “classless”, then classless has no effective meaning, because we’re all classless.

Do you honestly give a shit about Access Hollywood talking about Madonna and the Kabbalah? Are you going to boo his 566 RBIs in four and a half years as a Bomber because he’s got a failed marriage? I mean, I don’t even know how to being venturing into all this nonsense…

ARod rarely gets the big hit? He’s crushed the ball for us constantly, and the last two posteasons I saw, he was the one hitting it and the rest of the team were sucking ass. But he said “HA” and made a Blue Jay drop a pop fly, so clearly he’s a classless asshole.

I mean, it’s as if you just sit in front of the TV and wait to be told what to think and then repeat it. Karl Ravech and Orestes Destrade have a pointless, reactionary 90-second bit about “Is ARod Pressing?” because he has only hit 8 homers some month instead of his usual 14, and you’re instantly convinced that ARod is a sissygirl who can’t hack it… Have you no critical thinking skills? Don’t you now sensationalist, hackneyed Fox-Newsian pseudo-journalism when you see it?

Is ARod a human being who’s subject to emotional ups and downs, just like the rest of us? Sure he is. ARod at his worst and most “fragile” still blows away the entire history of the league. Guys like Jason Varitek are hardasses who don’t get fazed by anything and yet consistently suck the life out of your offense like a collapsed star. But hey, he’s classy and he “led” his team to a world series… is that what you want?

“lol”

43. BillyBall says:

Wow, is all I can say to that A-Rod Thesis my friend, “LOL” Wow. Listen it is apparent that you love A-Rod, it does not mean that I have to support your beliefs. My idea of classless is a guy that shows the lack of class. A guy that consistently brings negativity with his circus life and fragile psyche, this is not what a Yankee is about. To me it shows a lack or flaw of character. Damon talked before the media last week and professed the privilege in being a Yankee. Jeter illustrates it as well, and an important aspect of being a Yankee is not to embarrass the Yankees and bring nonsense. That to me is classless and not becoming of a Yankee. I am not denying his talent my misguided friend, I am doubting his ability to show class and display that class on and off the field. This is not about his divorce , it is rather about his inability to keep himself out of the limelight, he should not be the focus each and every season. Much of this circus is brought out by the media, much of it is his fault and that is the part that he must correct. When he puts the team first, if he can do this, than he will be worth the money. Below is another example:

Via the San Francisco Chronicle:

Alex Rodriguez knew the Madonna questions were coming. He knew he wouldn’t sit with reporters for 50 minutes without getting asked about his pending divorce and relationship with the pop queen.

A-Rod said it helps to get through his personal soap opera by focusing on baseball.

“Look, everyone has distractions,” he said. “Everyone goes through personal issues. Mine are on the front page of the papers. I’m fine with that. It’s a gift and a curse. I’ll get through it. So much good goes with it. I’m not blaming anyone. I’ve just got to move forward.”

Yankees teammate Derek Jeter is another story.

“I’ve only been dealing with New York for five years. He’s had to deal with it for 13 years. He’s been a model citizen,” A-Rod said. “I wish I was as good as him dealing with you guys. I’m not.”

One other difference: “He was a Yankee fan; I was a Met fan. That’s why everyone hates me,” A-Rod said with a smile.

…[Jeter] was a Yankee fan; I was a Met fan. That’s why everyone hates me…

Willie Randoph was a Mets fan as a kid and later became a beloved Yankee. Joe Torre was a Mets player and manager, and he rooted for the Giants as a kid, and he became a beloved Yankee. Heck, Phil Hughes grew up rooting for the Red Sox, and, to many Yankees fans he’s great and can-do-no-wrong.

Yeah, I know A-Rod is supposed to be kidding when he said this…but, it’s still a stupid thing to say. In fact, why even bring up Jeter in the first place? What’s he got to do with any of the attention that Alex has brought on himself? Sounds like Rodriguez still has a little inferiority complex when it comes to Jeter and how they are both viewed in the eyes of baseball fans and the media.

This article is from another Yankee blog called was watching. A Yankee blog my friend. Us Yankee fans that root for the TEAM and not just the player that wears the uniform all agree that A-Rod has not brought a championship and he has for a majority of his Yankee career lacked the ability to be clutch in big spots, not when the game is out of hand, big key spots. He has allot to do to win over the hard core Yankee fan. And that is all I will say on that! LOL, LOL, LOL!

44. BillyBall says:

Was Watching posted that article form a beat writer at the All Star game. Was Watching is an ok site, not my favorite, and I do not always agree with his incite but the article speaks for itself. I just hope A-Rod straightens his fragile psyche out and becomes the man on and off the field he could become.