Jul

Washburn could be New York-bound shortly

According to Jon Heyman, the Yanks and Mariners “may be close” on a deal to bring Jarrod Washburn to New York. The move would be a strict salary dump; the Yanks would take on all of Washburn’s contract and would not send anyone to Seattle. Washburn, a clear upgrade over Sidney Ponson or Darrell Rasner, is scheduled to start tomorrow afternoon’s Mariners-Blue Jay. So keep your eye on the game in Toronto; if Washburn is scratched or removed early, expect him in the Bronx sooner rather than later. We’ll wrap up today’s excellent 10-3 victory over the Red Sox later.

Update: Via MLBTR comes word that the M’s are holding up the deal because they want, according to Ken Rosenthal, a “top prospect.” They could probably draw out a prospect from the Yanks but not a top one in a salary dump. Keep your eye on tomorrow’s probables and the M’s-Jays game for more indications of a possible trade.

Categories : Asides

1. Jamal G. says:

Did not know you can deal a player without sending another player in return, not even a PTBNL. I like the move if this is true, that being no one leaving the Yanks’ organization.

• Ben K. says:

Basically, they’re just selling Washburn to the Yanks and transferring ownership of the contract. Perfectly legal but doesn’t happen too frequently. The Mariners must really want to clear this deal off the books if this rumored transaction becomes reality.

• whozat says:

Latest on mlbtraderumors.com is this:

[Update: 6:15pm] Ken Rosenthal just reported during the Fox telecast that the deal is now being held up by the Mariners demand for a top prospect in addition to the Yankees taking the remainder of Washburn’s contract.

So, maybe it’s not so close.

2. Realist says:

He’s a better option than Ponson or Rasner plus a lefty…..gither done as the seemingly small payout (prospects wise) should be well worth the return.

3. Scott says:

I wouldn’t trade a bag of balls of Washburn

• RustyJohn says:

I concur- Washburn’s numbers are nearly identical to Rasner’s, but people are talking as if he’d be a huge upgrade over him. Not the case. Yes, Sir Sidney’s luck is going to run out, but 10 million a year for another Rasner is not the answer. By the way, just to tell you what a great team player Washburn is, his nickname in Seattle is The Bus, because he throws everyone under the bus. They can’t wait to get rid of him here.

• RustyJohn says:

What bizarro world do we live in where The Mariners realize they have better options with a Triple-A replacement and the Yankees are the ones spending 10 million on a crap starter? Why don’t the Yankees pick up the Silva and Batista contracts too?

4. Scott says:

I’d like to see them give IPK another shot

5. Alan says:

Good luck getting a “top prospect” from us, M’s. You want us to eat the contract AND give you a prospect? Hahahahahaha. I thought they fired Bill Bavasi.

• Tim says:

I think that we should be happy to part with a “top prospect”. I mean it is the least we can do for a pitcher of this quality with such a high value contract. I am sure that, similar to the Tabata situation, we can find a highly touted prospect that may be having a down year. I seem to remember a young pitcher from Japan who came in with high expectations but has struggled a little in NY. I believe that he may just need a change of scenery.

• Old Ranger says:

I like that idea…although Kei is off the 40 man. Just send him to the Ms’, and his contract of 4mm a year to offset Washs’ contract. 27/08?

6. steve (different one) says:

here is your “top” prospect: Nick Green.

that’s my final offer.

7. christopher says:

why not give them a BS pitcher like Kontos who they were going to give for nady? not a washburn fan but i gotta think he is worth at least 3 or 4 more wins than a rasner or ponson. for me that is worth a guy who will never be more than an average middle reliever

• Matthew Cohen says:

1) They will each only have 12 starts.
      2) Look up their FIPS – Rasner is better than the other 2 by a bit and Wash and Ponson are roughly equivalent.

• christopher says:

way too small a ample size to judge that – especially from rasner.

that is an absolute example of statistics gone wrong

8. Lanny says:

It is going to be Igawa for Washburn. Works for both sides.

9. christopher says:

my biggest fear with getting washburn is that the team will use it as an excuse not to pursue sabathia this winter just as they used the petitte signing as an ecuse not to pursue santana.

different circumstances of course – free agent vs. trade, but nonetheless I AM DYING TO SEE A 1-2 punch of CC and Joba for the next 6 years

• steve (different one) says:

this won’t happen.

Hank wants CC.

the only thing keeping CC from the Bronx is CC.

if he wants to play here, the yankees will outbid anyone.

• JeffG says:

Hank suposedly wanted Santana too… somehow I just think that the Yanks are getting a little shy about laying down big money for pitchers that risk injury.
        I disagree with the philosophy as I think that the staff has a lot more to do with the total sucess of a team.

10. christopher says:

Igawa should work — despite what we have seen you have to think that the international scouting isnt totally inept and there is at least a tiny bit of potential there.

with no pressure in seattle mabe he could be a servicable starter and if you remove the posting fee from the equation – he would be a reasonably priced 5th stater or even middle reliever

11. christopher says:

are the rumors now pointing to vidro nor being a part of the deal – not that it matters as it is only money and if they DFA him they wont be on the hook for net season

12. r.w.g. says:

I wouldn’t give them anything more significant than a guy like Jeff Marquez or Mitch Holligoss. And I probably wouldn’t give them both.

I don’t want to see guys like Suttle, Laird, Aceves, Romine leaving for Jarrod Washburn. Not when we’re picking up his entire contract.

• r.w.g. says:

Hilligoss*

• Old Ranger says:

Give them Kie, or nothing. Not when we pick up his $$$$. 27/08?

• r.w.g. says:

Look.. Kei Igawa won’t ever help the Mariners win games. Seattle knows this and they don’t want him.

Jarrod Washburn would be an immediate improvement to our team. Seattle isn’t going to settle for nothing. Jarrod Washburn is good enough to warrant something going back.

One decent prospect sounds about right.

13. giselle says:

i think its gonna be an outfielder. probably melky, gardner, or justin christian. think about it… one of these guys is expendable now that nady’s here.

14. christopher says:

thats a tough call – christian is probably more help to the team this year, but garder and melky (i feel dirty saying that) have much more long term potential either as future yankees or in future trades.

i would hate to see either of them go and would be pretty pissed if they did

• Joey H says:

justin is a great pinch runner for us. thats it. gardner is a guy who needs to hit every day to stay in form. and well, melky just likes to hit wen its still chilly out

• giselle says:

yea i dont want to see melky or gardner go. christian i’m not too attached to. hopefully cash will use his super dealing skills and get washburn for just the salary dump.

15. MD says:

I dont see them giving Melky for Washburn……doesn’t make sense……..

16. Old Ranger says:

Are some of you guys crazy! Why would we give them anything? Picking up the contract (they want to get rid of) is enough. If we give them anyone, make it Kie ONLY. The players some have mentioned, have good up side and are a few years away. 27/08?

• r.w.g. says:

Give them Kei? Then it isn’t a salary dump, is it? If they take Kei, they are going to insist on Vidro being in the deal.

Seattle wants to dump payroll, but they know Washburn is a decent pitcher who is pitching decently overall, and quite good recently. Why would they want a guy who can’t pitch in the major leagues and has the same money coming to him as Washburn?

• Old Ranger says:

Kie only gets $4mm.

• r.w.g. says:

Per year. He’s signed for another 2 or 3 years. The money he has coming to him is pretty much the same amount.

Igawa isn’t a major league pitcher. He isn’t a major league pitcher and he’s 29 years old.

I cannot for the life of me understand why any Yankee fan would think that joker is worth anything in a trade.

17. mustang says:

After what I seen Cashman pulled off this weekend I leave on him he will get the best deal for this team

18. Old Ranger says:

It seems as though some of you have had a lobotomy. Last time I checked, MOST of you people wanted Cash’s head on a platter. This is a very nice bunch, as long as one agrees with them. But that’s what we like…discussion, I hope it never changes. 27/08?

• steve (different one) says:

right, b/c earlier in the season when the Yankees were in last place, Cashman was a bad GM.

now that the exact same team is tied with Boston in the loss column, he is a good GM.

even though it is the exact same team he assembled over the winter.

sometimes the players just need to, you know, PLAY better.

• mustang says:

Hold on the man just pull off arguably one of the best trades of his tenure. After this past winter doing this can change a lot of peoples minds.

• mustang says:

I can understand why people were down on him and why they are up on him now and that’s the life of a GM.

• mustang says:

Your right I was one those “Cash’s head on a platter” guys, but the man went out and prove me wrong. There seem a lot of lobotomies going on in this site not only about Cashman, but Marte and Nady. But like one of the host said a few threads back we are allowed to change are minds.
      LOL.

• Old Ranger says:

After all my bitching about…play with what brung us! I think we can all cut a little humble pie,,,now and then. David sure looked bad against Marte…made my day. 27/08?

19. Greg G says:

What about the reports saying that Washburn is demanding “extra compensation.”? What in the world could this mean? He is already a marginal 4th or 5th starter who makes $10 million and has a chance to come play for the Yankees. He should be thankful they want him at all. Does he want an extension so he can be the second coming of Pavano?

• dbroncos31 says:

I think the Players’ Union encourages teams to compensate a guy for waiving his NTC. But you can make it something ridiculous.

For getting Vidro to wave his NTC we gave him him an option year in ’09 that he gets if he has 600 PAs this year. Obviously not going to happen.

You could give Washburn an option that only vests if he throws 220 innings in ’09. Then he gets “compensated,” but you don’t actually have to pay him because he won’t get the option to vest.

• r.w.g. says:

An article I read used the phrase “accommodations” would be made for Washburn. Maybe he wants the team to set him up with an apartment in the city so he can settle in a lot faster? Maybe it meant he wants a a bonus to waive the no-trade.

• John says:

Actually, Washburn said he would waive it if he didn’t have to shave. Not sure if he was joking though.

20. Brian says:

I don’t mind Washburn in pinstripes; he’s a solid enough starter. Nevertheless, why do it? Why take on that much of a contract when Wang/Kennedy/Hughes/…um, Pava–….well, some guys are getting closer? Ponson/Rasner can probably hold serve until then, right? Just seems like a lot of dough, which I rarely care about.

Unless the Yanks are extra-eager to drop Ponson or Rasner, which I understand, getting JarWash just isn’t all that necessary.

• RustyJohn says:

I concur- how many starts will Washburn be making in place of Ponson before someone else is ready? Six or seven? Washburn is just not that good.

21. Currambayankees says:

They keep dreaming becuase the Yankees aren’t giving them a top prospect for a back of rotation starter whose lost some stuff.

• Joey H says:

yeah arent we allready doing a favor of taking that contract off their hands? and what is it with jarrod he thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread, wanting to be compensated for waiving his no trade clause, WHO THE HELL ARE YOU. he better drop that attitude before he gets here if he does because he allready seems like a guy who doesnt give a shit about winning.

• RustyJohn says:

The guy is an a-hole- every time he gets rocked in a start (which is often) he rips on his catcher in postgame.

22. Geno says:

I’d rather see Kennedy, Horne or Aceves replace Rasner/Ponson than Washburn. Letting those 3 take a crack at the spot sets us up better for 09 – more experience for our future. Plus, I doubt Washburn would give us much more than them anyway.

• Joey H says:

again if we wanted to set up for 09 why not just not make anytrades at all. sure washburn isnt my first preference but its better than rasner

• Geno says:

What? I said Rasner should be replaced, just not by Washburn. We made the Nady/Marte trade because we didn’t have any internal options on par with them. That’s not the case with Washburn – IPK, Horne or Aceves would do just as well, which would also benefit us going forward.

• Old Ranger says:

Before my lobotomy (see above) I said No trades (more or less), “just have the guys play up to the back of their baseball cards.”
      Well, I still think that way but, we did add to the team…those added will be more useful then Washburn. I would pass on any demands! If Pounds/Raz blow up, we have (as stated by Geno) guys in AAA that can step up. I realize the guys in AAA are unproven and we are in the race…don’t you think the Ms know this also? 27/08?

23. RustyJohn says:

I will be physically ill if I have to watch Washburn in a Yankee uniform. If the worst team in baseball doesn’t want him, why should the Yankees? The Mariners realize they have better alternatives in AAA and the Yankees should realize they have better alternatives too. And don’t say the Mariners can’t afford him- they’re owned by friggin’ Nintendo.

24. Frank says:

I thought we were trying to reduce payroll going into 2009. I don’t get it. I don’t think Cash makes this deal unless Kei goes to Seattle. Probably Kei & a mid-level prospect. IMO.

• Ben K. says:

I don’t think necessarily that the Yanks want to reduce payroll. They want to reduce wasteful spending. If Washburn fills a roll and helps get the Yankees to the postseason, then it’s not wasteful spending.

25. [...] perhaps even before the CC Sabathia and AJ Burnett pickups. You may remember that the Yanks were pretty close to acquiring the lefty before the trade deadline last year, but the M’s put a stop too the move because they wanted [...]

26. [...] Yanks were reportedly close to completing a deal for Washburn before last year’s deadline, but Seattle got greedy and overplayed their hand. [...]