Aug

Game 119: Holy crap you guys …

Jason Giambi is sitting against a lefty again. Oh, and so is Johnny Damon. Sure Giambi’s OPSing 1.375 on the road trip, Damon’s hitting .406 in the last 7 games, and lefties are hitting .338 off Glen Perkins, but hey, let’s sit them anyway. Not like the team is in a Wildcard chase or anything.

Damaso Marte is likely to be unavailable tonight after throwing 29 pitches yesterday thanks to that inexplicable second inning of work. Unfortunately Minnesota’s 3-4-5 hitters tonight happen to be Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau and Jason Kubel (the same combo manager Ron Gardenhire has been using for about a month-and-a-half), all lefthanded batters. So when push comes to shove in the late innings tonight, get ready for some Edwar Ramirez change-up action, or even … gasp … Billy Traber. Heck, even if Marte is available, he’s going to be gassed.

So remind me again, what was so bad about Joe Torre running mediocre middle relievers like Scott Proctor and Tanyon Sturtze into the ground? Hey, I wonder if that whole fiasco about IPK’s comments would have been so ridiculously blown out of proportion if Torre was around to work his media magic …

1. Christian, LF
2. Jeter, SS
3. Abreu, RF
4. A-Rod, 3B
5. Nady, DH
6. Cano, 2B
7. Sexson, 1B
8. Pudge, C
9. Melky, CF

And on the mound, Sidney “will pitch for food” Ponson.

Notes: Pudge has actually turned Sid Ponson into a pretty decent starter, squeezing a 2.03 ERA & .519 OPS against out of him in their two starts together (SSS, yes I know) … Joba’s going to start his throwing program on Wednesday … Hideki Matsui is close to beginning a rehab assignment

(forgive me, I’m just frustrated that the manager continues to not put the team in the best position to win during one of the more critical stretches of the season)

Categories : Game Threads

1. GoYankees says:

“I’m just frustrated that the manager continues to not put the team in the best position to win ” …

Don’t worry, I hear spring training will be over soon!

2. Randy says:

you’re no more frustrated than i am. i have talked repeatedly about how his lineup and in game decisions have cost us a couple games. this lineup doesn’t make sense. but who am i?

3. Ivan says:

What media magic, the way they kiss his ass all the time.

I disagre with some of the decisions he’s made tonight but give the a guy break here. When ya team is not playing well hey the manager always looks bad.

I agree, Giambi should be in the lineup and Damon maybe but you have alot games to go, and Damon isn’t no spring chicken.

• Randy says:

you don’t have a lot of games left and you’re playing a team that is ahead of you in the wild card standings. i agree that he isn’t the complete reason they’re not playing well but he has definitely had a hand in it. his use of marte has been questionable and his lineup decisions throughout the year have been puzzling at times. damon could dh so you don’t have to worry about his energy level as much. i just don’t get it given the circumstances. i hope these guys come through tonight so this conversation will be moot.

• Ivan says:

I agree that his lineup changes have been questionable and replacing Giambi with Sexson with a lefty doesn’t really help but I think we are just focusing on the negative things way too much during the bad streak with the manager. Not as good as you think you are or bad.

As for Marte, the Texas game yeah he probably could of taken him out, as for yesterday game okay he tried to buy an inning, and trying to plan something it didn’t work out and besides he took him out right.

How you he’s not available today? Probably not, but who knows.

I understand ya complaint but again your letting the bad baseball get to ya too much with Girardi a little bit.

4. E-ROC says:

“Horrendously Retarder,” that’s a cool tag, lol.

I wonder how many runs the Yanks will score in this game. Girardi should stop tinkering with the lineup. He is putting too much thought into putting together a lineup.

5. Patrick says:

Thanks for the mention, Mike.

6. Ivan says:

Plus, I was thinking, wouldn’t it be the best year for TB to win the division this year? Think about it, just looking at the #’s, Tampa lets be honest have been lucky this season. Add in the fact that Boston and NY have had a down year, if your TB fan alot of the stars are pretty align right?

Same goes for LA, they have been pretty lucky too just looking at the #’s and this there best chance of winning as well.

7. Jamal G. says:

If Joe Girardi feels Johnny Damon needs a day off, then he needs a day off. You can’t get on Girardi for not managing Damaso Marte’s innings properly then bash him for not running out daily a 34-year-old outfielder with shoulder, knee, heel, and overall leg injuries in his past. Not only have the Yankees not had a day off since July 24th, but Damon just played four straight games in that smoldering Texas heat, flew to California, then flew halfway across the country to Minnesota. Again, Girardi has daily access to the team, if he feels Johnny Damon needs a rest, he needs a rest.

I know it’s the stretch run here, but you can’t just ignore the player’s health.

Now don’t get me wrong, I understand the flip side to this argument as well. We need our top nine out there every single game. However, we all know that Johnny Damon isn’t exactly Cal Ripken Jr. out there, if he is noticeably lagging then is it not for the greater good to give him a partial day off and get him rejuvenated with two days off within this week?

• Nady Nation says:

Sorry Jamal, I don’t buy your argument. Damon said himself he feels good and didn’t know why he wasn’t in the lineup. If he’s healthy at this time of year, he needs to play.

• Jamal G. says:

Damon said himself he feels good

How many players have you known to admit to the media and/or their manager that they need a breather, especially when said player is on a team during a playoff stretch run? Come on now, you can’t use a player’s comments as a basis for your argument.

• Nady Nation says:

I understand that, but I’m going to give the veteran the benefit of the doubt. Damon knows his body, he knows when he needs a blow. He knows what’s on the line, so if he says he’s fine, there’s no reason he shouldn’t DH at the very least (then he gets the half day off if you wanted to give him a break)

• Jamal G. says:

My point is that you can’t ever, and I mean ever, expect a veteran athlete to say he needs a day off during a pennant chase, it just won’t happen. Johnny Damon is one of the veteran leaders of this team, he tries to set an example, he wants to be that daily warrior. He sees how guys like Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez are in the lineup everyday, you think he wants to say he needs a day off publicly during a time like this with players like that on his team? No dice.

• Nady Nation says:

How does Girardi KNOW that he needs a day off though? Especially if Damon has given no indication that he’s banged up or needs a rest.

• Jamal G. says:

Joe Girardi is the manager of a baseball team, it’s his job to know this, how are we suppose to question whether he feels Johnny Damon needs a day off or not?

Also, how do you know Johnny Damon has not given any indication as to whether he needs a day off or not? I mean, how do you know Damon has not flagged certain signals that Girardi has in his head on whether a player is lagging a bit? Remember, Damon is 34-years-old and just a couple days removed from playing in a four game series that included weather north of 100-degrees and a couple flights halfway across the U.S.

These indications you speak of are not all verbal, body language is key. Managers know not to trust their player’s words on a player’s health and/or availability, you would be a naive fool to do so. We are not in that clubhouse, we are not on the field for stretching, running, and batting practice.

You talk about giving the benefit of the doubt to the veteran player, how about giving some of that to the veteran player and current manager? Girardi is someone who knows how a player’s mind works and what he would tell his manager if his manger asked him if he needed a breather during a playoff chase in August.

• Nady Nation says:

You make good points Jamal. To me, (which I just realized), this is more about sitting BOTH Giambi and Damon. If you wanna give Damon a breather, fine, but Giambi should not be sitting out 2 games in a row during the stretch run for Dick Sex – I could care less if a lefty is on the mound.

• Jamal G. says:

Now that’s a sentiment we both agree with. I don’t like that match-up crap, think it is highly overblown. If these professional hitters can hit, they can fucking hit. The handedness of a pitcher is not as huge as it is made out to be.

• Nady Nation says:

OK, only took us about 10 comments to reach some sort of agreement. I’ll take it

• daneptizl says:

I’m with you Nady Nation. If Damon needs a rest, DH him.

• chris says:

Enough of this bullshit. Girardi treats these players like they’re crippled senior citizens. Everyone needs a day off, but right now, it’s crunch time. You can’t have Damon sitting in this game. Or, at least you can’t have both he and Giambi sitting. In the past, Joe Torre didn’t give his veterans time off. Now, Girardi gives them too many days. It’s ridiculous and there hasn’t been much of a compromise between how the two Joes handle these lineups.

• Ivan says:

Thank you Jamal.

Take a player’s word at times with a Grain of salt.

A Pitcher can suck al day and if you ask him if he’s okay or can you get this guy out he’s gonna say yeah. There Athletes, what you expect.

8. steve (different one) says:

the giambi thing is stupid, but i have to think there is more to damon than we know about.

it’s not like girardi thinks justin christian is damon’s platoon partner.

maybe he’s banged up.

Sexson for giambi is retarded. i will give the benefit of the doubt on damon.

9. Bruno says:

He sits all the lefties vs a lefty, but Melky starts over Christian?!?!? Girardi’s wrong thinking isn’t even consistant!

10. Nady Nation says:

Mike, I could not agree with you more on pretty much everything you said. Girardi has not been the baseball guru that we heard he was going to be, at least not thus far. Hopefully we win despite the paltry lineup

11. A.D. says:

I’m fine with Damon or Giambi out, but not both, and its not rest for Giambi, he was off yesterday. You can tell me that Damon needs the day off, but seems doubtful that Giambi needs 2

12. Manimal says:

Good Job Girardi! You will justify the twins decision NOT to trade Johan to the yanks by making Melky play!

13. Mark B says:

We better win tonight or the criticisms of Girardi’s managing moves down the stretch like tonight’s line-up and last night’s bullpen use will start to come into question. I was a huge Joe Torre fan, though feel Girardi deserves a complete season to be graded. So far, it isn’t looking great.

14. Ivan says:

It is Girardi second year managing, and third youngest manager in the league, so he has some stuff work on.

15. Ivan says:

I also like to send deep condolences to Dave Miley and his family today. Just got news that Dave Miley’s son was killed in a car accident this morning. Hopefully he fights through this latest adversity and will keep his son in his heart.

16. Ivan says:

One more bit of news and you never wish for shit like this because it is foul and don’t want stuff like this to happen but Evan Longoria will be on the DL with a frature wrist. Just maybe the break the yanks needed.

• Jamal G. says:

Carl Crawford hit the DL a couple days ago as well. Tim Wakefield for Boston in addition.

• Mike A. says:

You never wish injury on anyone, I’d much rather beat them at full-power. At the same time though, I don’t feel bad for them one bit after the injuries the Yanks have had to deal with.

• Ivan says:

Plus, they have gone through the least adversity compare to the likes of the Yanks and even the Sox. I mean give the sox credit, Becket has been so-so, Ortiz is having an off year, Manny’s gone(and the distractions) Buchholz who they relied on has been awful, BP has been bad, injuries to Wakefield and inconsistent hitting.

• Jamal G. says:

Eh, call me dishonest but fuck that code of a warrior crap. if Tom Brady didn’t play in Super Bowl 42, I would’ve been ecstatic and just as jubilant as I am now if the Giants would have won the Super Bowl sans Tom Brady for the Patriots. Sure, you can say it is a bit sweeter knowing that the golden boy got his ass handed to him by the Giants’ defense, but as a fan, I could care less if they were at full strength or not.

They are in the way of the Yankees making the playoffs, fuck ‘em, let ‘em deal with some injuries, won’t hear me complaining if Boston has to start Bartolo Colon, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and Clay Buchholz in our upcoming three game set because of injuries to Tim Wakefield and Curt Schilling.

• A.D. says:

Its definitly sweeter that Brady was in, though would have been a media field day if he couldn’t play in the superbowl, given his back-up hasn’t been the starter since high school.

Regardless injuries are part of the game, gotta win anyways

• Nady Nation says:

Not to mention Carl Crawford is on the DL and his season could be in jeopardy. Their offense is pretty depleted at the moment

17. Nady Nation says:

I’ve been strangely pumped for this game all day, despite the team’s recent struggles. Let’s get this ship going in the right direction…

18. Mike A. says:

Another unclutch hit by A-Rod.

19. Ivan says:

You know that hit figgins got off Mariano still is bothering me a bit when that GB punto hit towards Cano.

20. A.D. says:

it’d be better if they just didn’t discuss the debacle of this weekend

21. Manimal says:

holy shit, I thought he over threw second base from that camera angle. Scared me for a second. Hell of a play by the No-range-shortstop

22. Nady Nation says:

Wow, the Sawx are calling up another knuckleballer to replace Wakefield in the rotation.

23. Ivan says:

Yo I was reading articles and listening to people and watching TV and almost everybody had the yanks done.

24. Manimal says:

Sexsons scared of the ballllllllllll, Sexsons scared of the ballllllllllllll

25. Manimal says:

Imagine if they went on a ’07 Colorodo Rockies streak.

26. BigBlueAL says:

Jesus Christ Kay and Flaherty are KILLING Cano all game long so far.

• Manimal says:

They’ve been in the booth so much together they got on the same cycle and I guess its that time of the month for them…:D

27. Nady Nation says:

Count it

28. Ivan says:

Did the Yanks caught a break.

29. A.D. says:

old 1st to 3rd on the thow away

30. A.D. says:

thats Sexson at his best right now

31. A.D. says:

gold gloves have nothing to do with calling games…

32. Nady Nation says:

Are you kidding me right now? Melky and Christian to get this run in…ugh

33. Ivan says:

that was great Pudge.

34. A.D. says:

Melky at his finest

35. Nady Nation says:

Melky being Melky

36. Smitt Dog says:

Holy shit

37. Mike A. says:

Dammit Johnny. Oh, I mean Melky.

38. Manimal says:

Congratulations Girardi!

• Joop says:

I don’t understand how you blame Girardi for that.

• Davi says:

bench melky for the rest of the year except for late innings defense when there is no possible way he will have to bat. alternate j.c/damon in left and center and put nady where they aint.

39. Ivan says:

I gonna go outside and blow some steam off.

40. bklynJT says:

FUCK YOU MELKY!!!! Seriously… FUCK YOU!

41. Mac says:

Fucking Melky. I hope he feels bad for being absolutely terrible.

42. Ivan says:

A raw Austin Jackson is better than Melky right now.

43. A.D. says:

Shoulda pinch hit right there with Damon

44. Yankee1010 says:

Comically bad baseball. Is there a more infuriating offense in the league?

45. zzzzz says:

is there anyone left to defend melky’s performance this year?

46. Davi says:

could melky suck anymore. I finally realize why he sucks so much. on second thought its vulgar so i wont type it here.

47. Nady Nation says:

We need to stop putting runners in scoring position, that’s the main problem. Just stay on first base and score when we get some XBH’s. Seems like a simple formula to me

48. A.D. says:

Span, Gomez, and Young could turn into one hell of an outfield, if they reach near their potential

49. Ivan says:

Yo melky makes Brett Gardner look like Grady Seizmore.

50. Mike Pop says:

they are getting ridiculous man.. cano on 3rd with no outs… bunt bunt bunt fuck it jus bunt him in

51. Dave P. says:

Hmmmmm. Just saw the lineup. Is Girardi aware the team is in a pennant race?

52. Joey H says:

ok with all due respect to christian, i love the kid, his enthuiasm, his energy but WHY THE FUCK is he headling off?

53. Nady Nation says:

Adam Everett hits a HR, wow

54. A.D. says:

Adam Everett really?

55. Mike A. says:

Adam freakin’ Everett did not just hit a homer.

56. Mike Pop says:

i cant believe this lol i really cant

57. Ivan says:

Even the scrubs are getting hurt.

58. Smitt Dog says:

this is one of those points where I really need one of the posters here to talk me off a ledge. I’m seriously having thouights of giving up on ’08 for this team. I know its not impossible, but its becoming seemingly incredibly unlikely. Please someone give me some real reason to believe they will at the very least make this exciting?

• bklynJT says:

Just give up on them already. It will save you years on your life.

• Smitt Dog says:

I’m leaning that way…

I don’t want to be ne of those guys, never have been, but they’re finding new ways to lose every game. I look at the standings and I’m always amazed that this team is above .500 – When I watch them I feel like I’m watching the equivalent of a lottery team in the NBA.

Please someone give me something to believe in…

• Nady Nation says:

It’s the 2nd inning, we’re only 4 games back in wild card with 6 games to play against the wild card leader, Boston isn’t that good, and we have some starting pitching reinforcements on the way in the coming week or 2. That good?

• Mike Pop says:

ill do my best.. if we go 9 and 3 over these games befor we hit boston than win 2 of 3 from them we will be in the lead for the wild card by 2 games or 3 games lol hapy

• Smitt Dog says:

Thank you. The thing that I keep coming to is that they are going in the opposite direction of a prolonged winning streak. All the years that they were winning, little things were going their way, now its almost always the opposite. I appreciate the effort, but until this team shows me they are capabable of ripping off 9 of their next 12, its a hard sell.

• Mike Pop says:

lol sorry man.. ur right tho nothing goes their way man.. some of there hard hits if they would go a foot or 2 to the left or right its a base hit.. balls dont drop in the of for them.. its rough man but im not making any excuses i jus had so much hope for this team coming in partly because of hughes and kenndy/// i jus dont give up on them im prolly wrong and they prob will miss hte playoffs but i cant think like that.. i kinda wish we kept mccutchen tho

59. Manimal says:

In one play Christian has showed more balls in the outfield than Abreu all year.

60. bklynJT says:

The funny thing is that I wasn’t even phased by that hr.

61. Mike Pop says:

this offseason with its free agency shopping is going to be fun !

62. Davi says:

I played 3 sim games of the lineups in the show today. won all 3. although i got some timely hitting w. RISP. but I’m confident the yanks can win today because frankly I suck at the show, and hopefully the yankees suck less than me.

63. Manimal says:

I hate when I hiccup. Like right now.

64. Ivan says:

Jeter has seen two pitches. two outs.

65. Joey H says:

clueless joe anyone?

66. Mike Pop says:

we will hit this guy tonight i promise u my fellow fans

67. Ivan says:

iight yanks can certainly comeback. Hopefully Ponson doesn’t implode.

68. Joey H says:

in fact tonight im going to watch WWF wrestling .. just like watching the a yankee game.. outcomes are predictable..

• Ivan says:

it’s actually the WWE Jabroni

• Joey H says:

watver man, i was a WWF fan not this WWE bullshit. where all they care about is appealing to little kids.

• Ivan says:

Yea the WWE material is dry.

• Joey H says:

one of my old favorites “Kane” i hear is supposed to put on his mask again. i was in MSG the night he took it off. i was ready to cry lol

• Ivan says:

The good ol days, when the rock was one of the funniest people with a mic and Stone Cold was the baddest SOB. Now we have superman John Cena.

• Joey H says:

john cena is a little prick. he wants to be ike the rock. the rock always gave that announcer guy who went to ESPN a hard time. hesthere for little 13 year old girls to cream themselves. BRING BACK BEER DRINKIN CIGARETTE SMOKING MIDDLEFINGER SALUTING baddassses allready!

69. Mike Pop says:

if joba and phil come back for the boston series ill be stoked

70. Joey H says:

oh and is longoria out ? fractured wrist im hearing..

71. Jake H says:

Team has no energy. They already know that this is a game that they lost.

72. Mike Pop says:

they gonnan win this game jake “im a bad fan” h

73. Joey H says:

why does sir sidney think its ok to fall behind in counts with 2 outs? if he just keeps attacking the zone it will make a dfference in so many ways

74. Manimal says:

Knowblauch and that reliever, forgot his name at the moment…

75. Mike A. says:

Knoblauch has to be one…

76. Mike Pop says:

willie banks is one of them

77. Mike Pop says:

banks and chucky boy

78. Manimal says:

well we solved that one quickly.

79. BigBlueAL says:

Answer is Knobie and Chili Davis…

80. Jake H says:

This team doesn’t inspire me to believe that they will come back.

81. Ivan says:

Boy the yanks are being SO by the immortal Glenn Perkins.

82. A.D. says:

Chili Davis & Knoblach

83. Mike Pop says:

it sucks tho too see them struggle i cant even watch baseball tonight becuz i cxanrt stand to watch them

84. Nady Nation says:

Dick Sex, how bout justifying your presence in the lineup back to back days?

85. Mike Pop says:

its willie banks

86. Nady Nation says:

Good thing Giambi’s not playing

87. Mike Pop says:

o maybe not lol

88. Charles says:

If these Yanks can’t even beat these Twinkies,oh man…

• Steve H says:

You mean the Twinkies with a better record than us, and an 8-3 pitcher on the mound? Oh yeah, and at home, where they win 65% of their games.

• Charles says:

I just don’t think they had a chance to compete this year given that they traded Santana and Liriano is coming back from an injury. Their offense, aside from Mauer and Morneau, isn’t really that good too.

• Smitt Dog says:

They can, but I’d bet they wont. Thats whats frustrating.

89. Manimal says:

Whats better than toasted poptarts. FROZEN POPTARTS.

90. Mike Pop says:

we signing tex dunn and a pitcher

91. Ivan says:

We need Jesus Montero on this team.

Shit he probably hit better than Melky right.

92. Mike Pop says:

no tex dunn sabathia manny sheets

93. Ivan says:

Cabrera and Christian back to back ouch.

94. CJ says:

Melky. Cabrera. is. the worst. player. in the majors.

95. Nady Nation says:

Great lineup Joe.

96. Manimal says:

I hate when umps dont give time.

97. Lanny says:

I’ve pretty much had it with Girardi.

I appreciate Torre even more now.

• BigBlueAL says:

But Torre blew out Sturtze and Proctor’s arms!!!!!

• Jamal G. says:

I don’t, fuck Joe Torre.That man ruined people’s careers.

• Joey H says:

at least he got us to the playoffs

• Steve H says:

With much better teams. Torre never relied on 2 rookie starters, that produced 0 wins thru August 11th, lost his ace, lost his catcher, the MVP for a few weeks, AND still had his team in contention.

• Nady Nation says:

That man also won us 4 championships and got us to the playoffs every year of his tenure

• kunaldo says:

so did billy martin…

• Ivan says:

Come on Jamal.

• BigBlueAL says:

You have got to be kidding me. Fuck Joe Torre??? Fuck this new Florida Marlins approach of relying on all these fuckin youngsters and only givin a shit about how the fuckin Single-A hitters are doing and how they drafted some stud HS pitcher who will never make it to the big leagues. Ill take winning WS titles over being excited about prospects who might be good for the Yankees in 2012….

• Steve H says:

Well the Marlins have won a title more recently than we have.

• Jamal G. says:

OK, maybe it was a bit too strong, but this fucking Joe Girardi bashing is getting on my God Damn nerve.

• BigBlueAL says:

Why have so much loyalty to Girardi though?? If anything you should praise Torre, not rip him, the way you defend Girardi because you know Torre actually won 4 WS titles….

• Jamal G. says:

The bashing on Joe Girardi has nothing to do with Joe Torre though, a lot of it is just needless complaining and short-sightedness. Since people have an issue with the lineup tonight then every single time Melky Cabrera, Justin Christian, or Richie Sexson make an out, you have twenty different people coming out of the woodwork to call for the man’s head.

The players still have to play the game.

• Mike A. says:

Please, if anything he resurrected Sturtze’s & Proctor’s careers.

• Nady Nation says:

Jamal, how can you honestly say “fuck Joe Torre”? How can a Yankee fan possibly say that?

• BigBlueAL says:

He is too young to remember when the Yankees actually won titles, ive noticed these younger Yankees fans remind me of Red sox fans when they were always frustrated with the Yankees always winnin and them suckin, now its the opposite and all u read here is people rippin the Red Sox as if they suck when they have 2 titles in 4 years…

98. Davi says:

its’ melky’s bday today. thats why girardi is playing him. because really thats the one reason I would play him. well no. I still wouldn’t play him. I’d let him be that bat boy as a bday gift.

99. BigBlueAL says:

Wow Yankees shut out thru 5 with only 3 hits, shocking considering the juggernaut lineup Girardi put out there…

100. Lanny says:

This is the worst lineup Ive seen this year. Girardi reminiscing about his time in the NL?

Are we giving up?

101. Mike A. says:

I sure hope Damon’s feeling well rested.

102. Mike Pop says:

Why isnt melky getting sent down

103. Mike A. says:

On the bright side, Ponson’s pitching pretty decently.

104. Pedro says:

Can we fire Girardi now, or do we have to wait till we’re out of contention? If you add up all the OBP’s of the bottom four of lineup, you might not get to .400, they are THAT bad, only Girardi can’t see

• Jamal G. says:

So now Joe Girardi is an idiot for playing Robinson Cano and Ivan Rodriguez, whatever.

• Steve H says:

Yeah, let’s see Molina and Betemit. What are their OBP’s Pedro?

• Pedro says:

Cano and Pudge have been horrible, but only Girardi doesn’t know, so he adds two other horrible bats to the lineup in Sexson and Melky. There’s no way with Cano and Pudge, there are no viable options, but you have to minimize the damage, he has options for Melky’s and Sexson’s spot… So instead of having only 2 bad hitters in the bottom of the lineup, we have 4 because our manager doesn’t have a clue.

105. kunaldo says:

thank GOODNESS we have all these righties in today or else our offense would be in real trouble…

106. Brian Cashman says:

i wish we could go back and get johan for melky and ian now

107. Smitt Dog says:

This is like watching paint dry.. then filling the paint can with razor blades and fucking it

108. Ivan says:

You should of done that the first time Ponson.

109. Mike A. says:

He cuts the mustard … I love it.

110. Charles says:

Melky wasn’t really a stud prospect to begin with. He had a hot streak in Triple A which led to his promotion, had that memorable catch to take away Manny’s homer, which immediately thrust him into the hearts of Yankee faithful, and has sucked ever since. I wish they demote him and call up Gardner again.

111. Mike Pop says:

i agree cash

112. Mike Pop says:

We need jesus thats what we need

113. A.D. says:

So Shooter Hunt, nice pick for the Twins so far

114. Ivan says:

Man if the yanks were playing better, we could be WC leaders cuz Boston is just playing some bad baseball right. Getting no hit again. Shit we making Boston look like the Angels right now how the yankees are playing..

115. Mike Pop says:

is arod cursed

116. Ivan says:

Come on A-Rod.

117. Lanny says:

What young player has distinguished himself besides Joba?

Cano is pretty terrible unless you like .300 OBP.

The only high level talent in the high minors is AJ and hes 2 yrs away.

Melky should have been traded 2 years ago when his value was high.

Not even RAB can defend IPK anymore.

• Ivan says:

Chill dude.

• Steve H says:

Cano hit .342 as a 23 year old 2b, then followed that up with a .306 19 hr/97 rbi season. Pretty terrible?

• Lanny says:

Cano has clearly regressed this season. It shows he can’t make the adjustments. His value is high and he should be moved while he can. A free swinger with a .300 OBP isn’t an All Star in my book.

Pedroia is clearly the better player between the two.

• Steve H says:

He had a horrible April, but has hit .295/.287/.327 in 3 full months since. Pedroias obp is .361 so he’s not exactly Barry Bonds, and has less power, not that I had ever mentioned Pedroia. Tell me how good Bucholz is, or have you completely written him off? He’s been terrible with a bigger sample size than IPK. What are they saying about him on Sox boards?

• Jamal G. says:

Ben, Mike, and Joe don’t have to. I and a lot of other people with some damn perspective will gladly take their place.

118. Pedro says:

There’s our golden boy, the best 27 million can buy.

119. Charles says:

This is just not our year. Ugh.

120. Mike Pop says:

we shoulda got a deal done for johan regardless.. we prolly coulda pulled off some shit without giving up hughes wang or austen jax that woulda topped the mets shit… we coulda centered it round tabata

121. Charles says:

Is there such a team record for the most GIDP in a season?

122. Mike A. says:

As far as I can tell, the Twins are the only team with two former 1/1 draft picks on their current roster.

123. Ivan says:

Fundamental baseball by the twins, something the yanks lack.

124. Mike A. says:

Girardi should go over to Damon & Giambi on the bench and ask them why they think the team isn’t scoring.

125. Pedro says:

LOOK AT THAT! They can get that runner in from 3rd base with less than 2 outs, didn’t know that was legal.

126. Steve S says:

I give in. Ponson doesn’t completely suck.

127. Charles says:

For all the Ponson detractors out there, he has so far defied all our expectations on him. That’s 3 straight quality starts now.

128. Pedro says:

Have he had a hitter ahead in the count the whole game?

129. Davi says:

is phelps swimming tonight. I need to watch someone who wins.

130. Mike Pop says:

uhoh i smell a rally

131. Mike Pop says:

killing dp

132. Lanny says:

A-Rod is having the softest statistical season I’ve ever seen.

133. Nady Nation says:

Good AB Richie

134. Charles says:

Could have used Giambi on that spot for Sexson..

135. Pedro says:

Is there one hitter on this team who can turn on a FB?

136. Jamal G. says:

Jon Danks’ no-no is broken up by the pedophile.

137. Mike Pop says:

these guys are so soft mentally its sad

138. TheLastClown says:

Why is Pudge swinging at balls on tees?

139. Mike Pop says:

look at it this way if boston loses tonight we in the same spot we were this morning .. BRING IN BOOF BONSER PLEASE

140. TheLastClown says:

Fats quick as a cat!

141. Charles says:

Adam Everett looks like a hobbit.

142. Ivan says:

Nothing is going right right now.

143. Mike Pop says:

the shit in the lineup ins coming up

144. Nady Nation says:

And Boston is now winning. It just keeps getting better. At least we’re going down with our best out there tonight…

145. A.D. says:

Pudge still has the reflexes

146. Randy says:

red sox took the lead.

147. Charles says:

Damn, Ponson with that 17-2 GB-FB ratio. Nasty.

148. Nady Nation says:

Why is Melky still in this game right now? Someone please explain this to me

149. Pedro says:

Shouldn’t even allow Melky to leadoff, but we don’t have a manager.

150. Mike Pop says:

minny man if they come out of nowhere and sign a big bat in the offseason or make a trade for one that is a real real serious team with those 5 young pitchers… baker and liriano absolutelyu filthy

151. Joey H says:

is anyone else amazed about how fast this game progresssed? in all likely hood, the game will beover by 1030

152. Ivan says:

Melky can’t even get the ball outta the infield.

153. Nady Nation says:

Attention Joe: JOHNNY DAMON IS ON YOUR BENCH RIGHT NOW! YOU ARE ALLOWED TO USE HIM IN THE GAME, EVEN THOUGH HE DID NOT START

154. CJ says:

Melky Cabrera followed by Justin Christian. Wow, what a way to start an 8th-inning rally. This is ridiculous.

155. Mike Pop says:

WE are the fucken yankees man why are we doing so bad

156. Jamal G. says:

If the Yankees lose tonight they will go on a 5-game winning streak. You heard it here first (No, I’m not joking).

157. Nady Nation says:

Jamal, can you defend Girardi for not pinch hitting Damon for EITHER Melky or Christian there? I’m interested in hearing that argument

158. Ivan says:

This is boring.

159. Charles says:

Oh my, the term “pinch-hit” exists Joe.

160. Mike A. says:

Ponson’s going to wind up with a CG loss.

161. Mike Pop says:

listen to eminem right now it makes shit better

162. Pedro says:

90 to 95% of Perkins’ pitches tonight were FB’s, and no Yankee hitter could get around on his 91mph heater. That’s yet another starter who dominates the Yankees using only his FB.

163. The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Pete Abe’s heart just skipped a beat: http://www.newyorkjets.com/blo.....-jets-role

164. A.D. says:

why get the pen up, let ponson finish this off

165. Davi says:

the flying monkey is up in the bp.

166. Pedro says:

What’s our winning percentage in series’ openers this season? Just a guess, but it might be lower than .350

167. Mike Pop says:

is nathan gonna come in or is it gonna be glen

168. Peter Monaco says:

What a joke. Damon has to play centerfield Girardi stop playing minor leaguers. There’s only one thing christian is in the majors for that’s speed and the only thing major league about Cabrera is his fielding and his arm.

169. Pedro says:

Pudge has yet to show what he can do better than Molina. They have been equally bad so far.

170. steve (different one) says:

i vote for leaving Ponson in. they won’t score 3 runs anyway, so save the pen.

171. Jamal G. says:

So Gary Sheffield, does Jim Leyland hate black people too?

172. Hybrid Moments says:

Girardi is such an asshole.

173. Mike Pop says:

game over

174. Mike Pop says:

why take him out the game is over

175. Jamal G. says:

Like I said, five game winning streak starting mañana.

176. Pedro says:

I wish we would fire Girardi tonight at 2am

177. Charles says:

Anyone think we could’ve gotten Dunn from the Reds?

• steve (different one) says:

yes. if you move the Yankees to the NL and make their record about 6 games worse, they could have claimed him ahead of AZ

• Pedro says:

Good thing we didn’t, we wouldn’t want good players on this team, would we? Also, Dunn would probably play twice a week anyway, since Joe would want to keep him fresh for the playoffs, that thing that we won’t be playing in.

178. Pedro says:

And there’s Pudge again, he’s been great, hasn’t him?

179. Manimal says:

Ladies and Gents, I will see you fellers in 09.

180. Jamal G. says:

I really like that Joe Girardi sticks to his guys and doesn’t shy away from them after a blowup outing.

181. A.D. says:

Phelps is about to race

182. Mike A. says:

Bringing Nathan in is just like pouring salt on the wound.

183. Ivan says:

Seriously we need to stop with the Girardi bashing. Yes he has made some questionable decisions but come on. Sound like met fans with Willie Randolph.

• Jamal G. says:

Couldn’t have said it better.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Just tune them out, they’re not going away.

• Nady Nation says:

If you make dumb moves, you’re going to be open to criticism. Why should Girardi be excused from that?

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

He’s not immune to criticism, but I think Ivan was referring to the “Girardi’s the Antichrist” type comment, as opposed to intelligent criticism.

• Ivan says:

So no managers are immune to making bad decisions? Y’all sound like whiny bitches right now seriously. I apologize for sounding vulgar but right now ya letting that fustration get to ya people.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Chill. People shouldn’t go with the “Girardi’s the Antichrist” stuff, but at the same time it’s totally fair to analyze a manager’s moves and decide whether you like them or not.

• Nady Nation says:

In what part of my comment did I sound like a “whiny bitch”? If you’ve been reading my comments for days, I’m actually one of the level-headed fans that hasn’t already thrown in the towel on the season. No manager is immune to making bad decisions. However, when bad decisions are made, why can’t they be criticized? Just because you like Girardi doesn’t mean other people can’t question his moves and strategies

• Jamal G. says:

I believe he was referring to a select few.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Then he shouldn’t have responded directly to one person’s comment. And even if he was speaking more in general than about anyone in particular, he should probably watch it with the “whiny bitch” stuff. Pretty tough to sound intelligent or mature when saying things like that.

• Ivan says:

Look alright, of course managers have a right to be criticize, that’s part of the game same with A-Rod. But when criticism reaches a level that’s ridiculous I have beef with that. It doesn’t matter if I like Girardi or not. The point is you got every right and probably have valid points to criticize him. It’s the inlogical comments I can’t stand. It’s sound so whiny. Again I apologize, but you get what Im saying.

184. Jamal G. says:

Cool, my best friend goes to Stony Brook.

185. A.D. says:

Phelps just crushed the 200m, and set the wr, again

186. Ivan says:

Another day, another lost.

187. Jamal G. says:

True or false, the Giants/Twins trade is like the Yanks dealing Wilkins De La Rosa (Liriano), Ian Kennedy (Bonser), and Jose Veras (Nathan).

*Why do I feel like I’m forgetting someone.
    **The reason I picked Veras over Mark Melancon is because Nathan was a bit older when he started having his consistent success out of a Major League bullpen.

• Mike A. says:

That’s pretty close, although Liriano was coming off two years worth of shoulder issues, and Nathan was better than Veras even before the deal. Good comp though, that about as close as you could get in the Yanks system.

• A.D. says:

well Liriano is a lot younger than De La Rosa if the trade happene4d today vs then, hope IPK is better than Bosner, and doubt veras will ever be as good as nathan

probably evens out, but Lirano way younger at the trade

188. chris says:

I don’t understand how people fail to see that Joe Girardi has been a terrible manager when dealing with lineups. He’s horrible. His BP management and his faith in pitchers is a welcomed change, but his lineup shuffling (at this point in time) is terrible. it makes no sense. he did the exact same thing a week or so ago with nady when nady “needed” a day off (against baltimore, maybe?).

• steve (different one) says:

except Nady actually had a sore quad.

tonight was a mistake. can’t defend it but there are times when we dont know all the facts. he sat Nady and it didn’t come out until a few days later he had a sore quad.

189. mustang says:

The fat lady is not singing,but she is starting to warm up on the Yankees 2008 season.

190. Nady Nation says:

Did we have one guy in scoring position all night?

191. Jamal G. says:

Anybody hear that idiot Joe Benigno on WFAN the other day, calling the time difference between the U.S. and China “stupid”? Can you get any more ignorant?

192. Nady Nation says:

I can’t even believe I’m saying this, but Kay made valid points about Damon’s DNP

193. TheLastClown says:

So Boston just roundly beat the White Sox…making us what…4 or 5, maybe 5.5 out of the WC?

194. Old Ranger says:

Jamal G…
    Good luck trying to let people with a memory started in 1996, understand anything other then play-offs/WS. As you or someone said;”one must live it before one can understand it.” Some of us have seen this same disaster before, many times.
    You did a good job trying, good luck. 27/09?

195. Hybrid Moments says:

Don’t take this post the wrong way. I am all for judging players by their numbers and like using sabermetrics. But has it entered anyones minds that ever since 2005, this team just doesn’t mesh at all?

• Old Ranger says:

I would go back to 2003, sometimes I see these guys (not all) with runner on 3rd 0-1 out, trying to hit a 5 run HR. there are a lot more then just that but you’ll get what I mean. 27/09?

196. joe says he likes what christian brings to the park…hookers, i guess

197. RustyJohn says:

When you’re down and out…feeling sad..when tears are in your eyes, just remember what it was like to wake up in the morning and the only highlight in the box score was to see if Steve Sax got a hit.

198. [...] the game thread last night, Mike noted that Joba expected to start a throwing program tomorrow. Since then, the Yanks’ valuable [...]

199. Hey man, you got mentioned on MSG’s website.