Aug

Not-so-fondly remembering 1993

When last the Yankees missed the playoffs, Ace of Base issued their smash debut album, Danny Tartabull was the highest paid Yankee and Rudy Giuliani was six weeks away from winning the Mayorship of New York City. The year was 1993, and I was ten. Now, as columnists prepare to write their requiems for the Yankees playoff streak, John Rolfe at CNNSI.com took a look back at the year that was when last the Yankees made the playoffs. While we can’t count the Bombers out yet, Rolfe’s piece certainly highlights the questionable pop culture choices we all made during the early 1990s. (Hat tip to NJ.com.)

Categories : Asides

1. Ivan says:

Ironic that the last time the yanks didn’t make the playoffs A-Rod was the #1 pick in 93.

2. Ivan says:

Jeter was still in the minors. Bernie was still developing at the Majors.

3. Steve says:

The Ace of Base rules.

4. Wow, Ben you are old!!! Haha, just kidding.

5. Manimal says:

I was 2 haha

6. Manimal says:

Matsui ran out a double play?

7. Joltin' Joe says:

When did Pearl Jam’s “Ten” come out? 1991?

8. BigBlueAL says:

Actually for me 1993 holds a special place in my heart since it was the first time the Yankees came close to making the playoffs with me rooting for them (I was only 1 yo in 1981) and unfortunately I was no longer living in NY and going to Yankee Stadium (I still remember last time I went, a doubleheader vs the Twins in 1989 in which the Yankees got swept) but it was still great watching/following them in a pennant race for the first time. Heck I was ecstatic when the Yankees got Lee Smith right before the Aug 31st deadline to be the closer and thought that was the move to put them over the top, but as the article stated they basically collapsed in September but I still have fond memories of those 1993 Yankees….

9. Shane says:

Heck yea. ’93 was a great great year. Sounds like everyone is fairly close in age so I’m sure we all imitated Jim Leyritz’s funky batting stance and bat twirl in little league….