Aug

Yanks lose Joba, game

In the seminal 1980 film Airplane!, Steve McCroskey, played by Lloyd Bridges, bemoans his current predicament. “I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue,” he says, later noting that he also quite amphetamines, drinking and smoking that week as well. Tonight’s Yankee game felt a bit like that.

Disaster struck for the Yanks in the fifth. Clinging to a 4-2 lead, Joba Chamberlain allowed a three-run home run to Michael Young. Josh Hamilton struck out, and Marlon Byrd singled. A few pitches later, Joba shook out his arm, and Joe Girardi and Gene Monahan came sprinting out of the dugout. Monahan would return with Joba in a tow, and the rest of the game unfolded as though through a fog as Yankee fans everywhere awaited the post-game interviews with baited breath.

Following the game, both Girardi and Chamberlain expressed optimism. While Chamberlain will head back to New York later today for an MRI and various other tests on the youngster’s arm, neither believed the injury to be serious. This doesn’t appear to be a labrum or a rotator cuff injury. It doesn’t seem as though Joba’s elbow was impacted either.

But right now, we don’t really know anything outside of the fact that right shoulder stiffness sent Joba packing tonight. We know Joba will probably not make his next scheduled start on Saturday, but beyond that, who knows? The Yanks tend to be cautious with their young guns, and considering what Joba can do and what a healthy Joba means to the Yanks, they are going to tread lightly with the righty. When the Yanks release more information, we’ll know what the short-term ramifications of this dismaying development mean for the Yanks.

Meanwhile, back in the game, the Yanks managed to stick around until the ninth inning when Joe Girardi once again left a reliever in the game for far too long. After falling behind 5-4, the Yanks tied the game on Xavier Nady‘s third pinstripe home run. But the loss would fall squarely on the shoulders of his partner in trade, Damaso Marte.

After throwing an effective eighth inning, Marte allowed three walks and a walk-off grand slam to Marlon Byrd in the ninth. Marte now finds himself 0-1 on the Yanks with an 11.57 ERA. He’s doing a great job replacing Kyle Farnsworth.

But the fault hardly lies only with Marte. The grand slam came on Marte’s 42nd pitch of the night. The last time he reached such a lofty pitch count was on August 16, 2006 when the Pirates and Brewers played an extra-inning affair and Marte couldn’t buy a strike. Before that, he hadn’t thrown so many pitches since 2002. At some point, Joe Girardi has to go to the pen. I realize that Dan Giese is in pitching staff limbo and Mariano Rivera isn’t available, but to overtax relievers as Joe did tonight to Marte harkens back to the days of Joe Torre, Steve Karsay and Paul Quantrill.

In the end, tonight, the Yanks lost a chance to gain a game on both Tampa Bay and Boston. They may have lost their right-handed pitching stud too. This is indeed shaping up to be a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

Categories : Game Stories

1. RCK says:

“Marte now finds himself 0-1 on the Yanks with an 11.57 ERA. He’s doing a great job replacing Kyle Farnsworth.”

Oh, man. So true! I’m laughing to keep from crying.

I have to admit that while I was watching I also felt skeptical about bringing Robertson in to such a tight spot. I’m not convinced he would have done any better (though he couldn’t have done any worse). Although I wasn’t aware that such a high pitch count was so unusual for Marte. That changes my perspective on Girardi’s culpability.

2. kunaldo says:

it’s mind boggling why robertson didnt come in…i was worried when damaso got to 29 pitches and couldnt buy a strike…now, you may even have to worry about marte’s arm…

and shoulder stiffness huh? excuse me while i go put my shorts in the wash…

3. Manimal says:

I’m so angry right now I don’t know what to do. I thought Joe Girardi was different than Joe Torre. Don’t just stick with the “vet” the better pitcher should be in the game. Marte gives up THREE walks, after two is a sign to take him out and take your chances with Robertson who has given up one long ball in his professional LIFE. This is the second day in a row he over used a pitcher and it resulted in a grand slam, and the third straight series(Robertson vs Orioles, Edwar vs Angels, Marte vs Tex) It seems every other day the yankees show hope of being a contender then the next day they fuck everything up and look like they deserve 3rd place. I hope this race goes down to the wire because that last series of the season in Fenway would be pretty epic. Imagine 9 Xavier Nady’s on one team, that would be cool.

4. Manimal says:

FYI, Farnsworths ERA is 13.50 with the Tigers.

5. kris says:

Marte has quickly turned into our version of Gag-me.

6. Manimal says:

I honestly can’t sleep. This is ridiculous. This is up there with not IBB Manny earlier in the season.

7. Chris says:

It just occurred to me that this injury is going to screw up Joba’s innings limit for next year. We may be in a situation where he can’t pitch more than 150 innings next year and needs to pitch from the pen part of the year.

• Manimal says:

depends on the extent of the injury but I doubt it affects NEXT years innings limit.

• Bruno says:

I doubt he’ll ever be in the pen again. He’s a full-pledged starter at this point.

• Chris says:

My point is that last year he threw about 120 innings. This year, he’s at 90 innings. Let’s say this isn’t too severe, and he only misses August. That would give him 120 innings in the regular season. Add some more for the playoffs (possibly) and fall league, and he’ll get up to about 150 for the year, which means he could start all next season without any issue.

On the other hand, if he’s done for the year, then he’ll have the same innings cap next year that he had this year. That means that he’ll need to spend some time out of the rotation. They could make up some injury and give him a month off at some point next year, or they could pitch him out of the bullpen for part of the year.

Obviously, he’ll be a starter for most of the year, but if he can’t throw 180-200 innings next year, then he can’t start for the entire year.

8. Yankees=warriors says:

Girardi has really been a disappointment.
    He has inherited all the “bad Torre ways”, and is at times more clueless than Joe the first.

• steve (different one) says:

yeah, not even close.

Sunday’s move was defensible.

Girardi made a mistake last night.

but Girardi does NOT overtax relievers and he hasn’t all season. have you guys even been watching this season?

he has been great at spreading the load.

he made a mistake last night. it happens.

he has NONE of Torre’s bullpen habits.

frankly i am shocked that anyone would even say that.

9. Manimal says:

OK, Good news is he doesn’t feel pain in the bad spots. Bad news is “It was something where it grabbed and popped and got stiff” Popping is NEVER good.

10. Manimal says:

I think I am officially declaring this season over. I will start emailing(begging) Texiera and Sabathia to come back.

• Manimal says:

not come back, but to sign a big juicy contract. I gotta go to bed before my comments start to make no sense at all.

• Manimal, I love you dude, but you may wanna try decaf. Back away from the ledge a bit.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

What the fuck happened to the Yankees I used to know? Where’s the spirit? Where’s the guts, huh? “Ooh, we’re afraid to go with you Big G, we might get in trouble.” Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I’m not gonna take this. K-Rod, he’s a dead man! Kazmir, dead! Beckett…

• DEAD! Andy’s right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards!

Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years, and cost millions of lives…No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part.

11. Baseballnation says:

Totall off topic but Mike what can we expect in the future from Addison MAruszak . He’s playing really well on the season so far. Ceiling/projection?

12. Mark B says:

Really, really disappointed in Girardi after last night. What was he thinking leaving Damaso in the game for so long?

13. TurnTwo says:

why is this so hard for people to understand?

Girardi didnt have Mo, Geise, Rasner, or Veras.

He already used Edwar and Bruney.

He had Marte and Robertson left in the bullpen. thats it.

Best case scenerio, he pulls Marte for Robertson, they get out of it and go to extra innings. you finish the rest of the game on the shoulders of David Robertson, and who?

it sucks to lose, and i realize yesterday wasnt Marte’s best day on the mound and he obviusly didnt have great stuff, but it was his job to suck it up and find a way to get it done.

he didnt, so you move on and today is a new day with a fresh start.

this isnt example of Girardi being Joe Torre. he didnt mismanage his bullpen. he went into the game with a short bullpen bench, hoping Joba could get him to the 7th with a lead, and he couldnt. sh’t happens.

now just hope the MRI comes out fairly clean, so Joba can come back in a couple weeks and finish out the season without any major injury.

in the meantime, I’d DL him, and call up a bullpen arm. then swap out the bullpen arm for a starting pitcher to take his next start, and away we go.

IPK is prob first in line to take Joba’s spot, and with Hughes going to Scranton for his next rehab at 70-75 pitches or so, it wouldnt surprise me to see him take his next 90 pitches off a major league mound mid next week.

• steve (different one) says:

if Veras was unavailable then i think Ben should amend his post.

well, it’s his site, he can do whatever he wants.

but if Veras was unavailable, i don’t think Girardi is really to blame at all. his bullpen was short, and then the worst possible scenario unfolded: his starter went down early and the game was tied in the 9th inning.

he pushed Edwar, he pushed Bruney, and he pushed Marte.

because that was ALL he had.

he had one reliever left and the possibility of extra innings.

the game was frustrating, and Joba’s injury hurts me as bad as any baseball related issue since 2004, but in my opinion, you are jumping on the wrong guy.

and the comparison to Torre is ridiculous. this was a very special circumstance. there is some nuance there. you are WAY too smart to not recognize that.

• Chip says:

I completely agree with you. I could maybe have seen Robertson come in after the third walk to try to get them out of the inning but Bruney and Edwar were gone, Giese starts Friday so you want him on a schedule, I believe Veras threw 3 innings over two days, Rasner started yesterday. So that leaves Mo (who was obviously unavailable or would have pitched the ninth regardless) and Robertson in the bullpen. You could maybe use Ponson’s or Mussina’s throwing days (assuming they hadn’t already done their bullpens earlier in the day) but Robertson was literally the last guy in there and would you rather he come into the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded?

14. Bart says:

Now failing to get Washburn looms even bigger —

What was that call on the DP — either it hits the batter oout of th ebox and he is out or it doesn’t hit him and there is a dp -

what was the call that allowed him to bat –

how did the 3b upire see anyhting if the batter was screening him

• LiveFromNewYork says:

I hate these “failing to get” scenarios with Santana and now Washburn. Washburn is “price too high” and “we have no idea what they were asking for” II and Cashman refusing to be hi jacked while another team could walk away with a deal because they are not the desperate-deep pocketed Yankees.

Joe Girardi had little to work with once Joba went down early. He didn’t really have a choice but to pitch Marte. Cashman is refusing to negotiate with teams that are trying to fleece the Yanks. I don’t hold either responsible for last night’s loss or not acquiring Washburn at an overflated price.

And who knows how much Joba’s injury was screwing with the team and Girardi’s head. but he didn’t have a lot of choices.

It would have been nice to win but I’d rather have taken a loss than lose Joba even for 10 minutes.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

I agree the, as you call them, “‘failing to get’ scenarios” are pointless… But to be totally fair, you can’t say “we have no idea what they were asking for” and then in the same breath say the “price (was) too high” and “Cashman refused to be hi jacked.” At the end of the day, we don’t know what any team actually says/wants in trade negotiations

• Chris says:

The call on the DP was that it hit him while he was still in the batters box, thus it was a foul ball.

15. Bo says:

Isn’t it Marte’s fault he threw 40+ pitches???

When you give up a triple, homer, and 3 walks in 2 innings it isn’t good. Don’t blame the mananger for him pulling a Farnsworth.

16. Rob_in_CT says:

Worst game of the year. And it’s not Girardi’s fault. Too many guys unavailable. Joba got smacked around a bit and then hurt. The offense missed some opportunities (and hell, their first run was a gift: Giambi totally struck out on that 2-2 pitch). He’s not a miracle worker.

Just hope that this is a “miss one start” sort of thing.

17. Ben, I want you to tell me everything that’s happened up to this point. Start from the beginning.

18. Ben K. says:

Well, first the earth cooled, and then the dinosaurs came, but they got all big and fat and they died and turned into oil, and then the Arabs came, and they all bought Mercedes-Benzes…

19. pat says:

you cant frickin burn through all your relievers in the first game of a 10 game road trip. sometimes you gotta sacrifice for the good of the long haul especially when at the moment one of your relievers is scheduled to start a game and 2 of your other starters are darrell rasner and snacks pontoon.
    it is a 162 game season guys not 162 one game seasons.

20. RustyJohn says:

“And someone get me Rex Cramer!”

• Eiland: Hey, skip, maybe we oughta pull Marte and put in Robertson here?
      Girardi: No… that’s what they’ll be expecting us to do!…

• RustyJohn says:

Girardi: It’s a damn good thing Marte doesn’t know how much I hate his guts.
        Eiland: Marte, it’s a damn good thing you don’t know how much Joe hates your guts.

• Marte: Wow, this Yankee clubhouse is pretty awesome!
          Girardi: Sure, it is. Damaso, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

• RustyJohn says:

Marte: And my Dad says most of the time you don’t even try hard.
            Mussina: The hell I don’t! Look kid, I’ve been hearing the crap ever since I was at Stanford….tell your old man to pitch to Ramirez and Ortiz for 9 innings.

• Dan Geise: This fog is getting thicker.
              Johnny Damon: And Sidney is getting LAAAAAARRRRGGGER!

• Oppenheimer: You’ve got a call from Tampa.
                Cashman: What is it?
                Oppenheimer: It’s a city of 300,000 on the Gulf Coast of Florida, but that’s not important.

• Ian Kennedy: David Wells said that?
                  Nardi Contreras: The last thing he said to me, Doc, he said… “Sometime… when the crew is up against it… when the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to get out there and give it all they got… and win just one for the Boomer.”

“I don’t know where I’ll be then, Doc, he said… but I won’t smell too good, that’s for sure.”

• Sorry, I’m rolling…

Dr. James Andrews: Carl, how soon can you pitch?
                  Carl Pavano: I can’t tell.
                  Dr. James Andrews: You can tell me, I’m a doctor.
                  Carl Pavano: No, I mean I’m just not sure.
                  Dr. James Andrews: Well, can’t you take a guess?
                  Carl Pavano: Well, not for another two years.
                  Dr. James Andrews: You can’t take a guess for another two years?

• Nardi: [talking to Eiland] Our only hope is to build this man up. We gotta give him all the confidence we can.
                  [to Igawa]
                  Nardi : Kei, have you ever made it through an inning without giving up a walk?
                  Igawa: No, never.
                  Nardi : Shit. It’s a Goddamn WASTE OF TIME! There’s no way he can pitch in the majors!

———————————

alright, I’ll stop.

21. Ivan says:

The more and more I thought about it, you can’t really blame Girardi here. Plus, for all those guys killing Joe G and comparing him Torre need to think clearly and because that is just a knee jerk reaction.

Hey his BP was short, and was pushing it with Brney, Edwar and of corse Marte. Hey Girardi what like he let guys go out and get out of jams there selves. Remember when Breney gave up two HR against TB, next inning he went back to him showing me how different he was from torre. Even yesterday, Edwar got himself in serious trouble and instead stuck with him. He sorta like the anti Larusa.

Hey Girardi did his best and was just hoping Marte can give him one more out and obviously pushing the limit.

22. Sinjin says:

From BP Prospectus

———————
    Joba Chamberlain (TBD)
    I finally got on a plane around 9:00 p.m., and later, when we landed and I switched my phone back on, it nearly exploded. Somewhere in between was the scene that struck fear into hundreds of Yankees fans, because Chamberlain came out of the game while pointing to the outside of his shoulder. The early word is that his muscle tightened up due to a combination of the blistering heat (I sat in that heat the night before, and yeah, it’s a huge factor) and fatigue. It’s the latter that’s most worrisome given Chamberlain’s switch of roles. While he built up his arm strength, no one has any idea how the fatigue will be affected by the shape of his season. He’s headed back to New York for tests, so we’ll know more soon, but early reports and sources tell me that things look relatively positive, based both on the pain’s location, and on his reaction. Expect the Yanks to be ultra-conservative, and for Chamberlain to miss a start at least. We’ll know more after the images, but I’ll leave the DXL as a TBD for now.

23. dkidd says:

cashman: something’s happened to joba’s shoulder

hank: his shoulder? what is it?

cashman: it connects his neck to his arm, but that’s not important right now.

24. [...] so far in his short Yankee career but showing some signs of life lately, was overworked the night the Yanks lost Joba Chamberlain and hasn’t been effective since then. I hope Joe Girardi takes this as a lesson Joe Torre [...]