Sep

Game 137: A Labor-ious road trip

Posted by mobile phone:
So this sounds like fun, no? Over the next ten days, the Yanks will journey from Detroit to Tampa Bay to Seattle to Anaheim. I don’t have a very good feeling about a trip that includes the longest possible flight in the AL.

On the mound today is Sidney Ponson for some reason. Ponson is 7-5 on the season with a 4.80 ERA, but with the Yanks, he’s 3-4 with a 5.64 ERA. He’s been terrible of late, and with Al Aceves in the big leagues and Phil Hughes starting today for Scranton, I have to hope that Ponson’s days in the rotation are numbered.

The lineup is, uncreatively, the same as it was this weekend against the Blue Jays. Pudge is behind the dish. Perhaps we’ll see Krazy Kyle again today.

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
A. Rodriguez 3B
Giambi 1B
Nady LF
Matsui DH
Cano 2B
I. Rodriguez C

Ponson P

Categories : Game Threads

1. Tripp says:

I thought the general consensus among fans was that they didn’t want the line up to change so much like Girardi was doing for the first half of the season….

• Chris says:

When the lineup changed every game, and the Yankees didn’t score a lot of runs, the problem was the lineup changes. Now that the lineup is set and they’re not scoring runs, the problem is the set lineup.

Girardi needs to work on mixing up the lineup some, but not too much. That’s the key for the Yankees offense to get going.

• BklynJT says:

To me, sounds like people just finding ways to blame Girardi for the offense sucking balls.

2. Joseph M says:

Girardi has to be concerned that the team does not tank and it could. The Yanks are out of it for all practical purposes and an 8 and 18 month is a real possibility. If the team quits it would reflect badly on Girardi, he might appear safe for next year but doubts could start to form and a move to replace him with a more experienced manager is not out of the question. The Yankee situation is going to be very volatile in the aftermath of such a disappointing season, Girardi needs to demonstrate at the very least that the team played hard for him all year.

• Steve says:

I don’t think that will realistically happen. Too many of these guys are playing for contracts next year. If they some of these guys were really going to tank the season, they would have moved them at the waiver deadline.

3. Bob says:

The Yanks should continue letting Ponson and Pavano start in hopes that a contender will offer a prospect and we can make a trade. Obviously we don’t stand to get much… but it couldn’t hurt.

4. Mike A. says:

It’s the first inning, it doesn’t count.

5. Batty says:

Good start but they’ll need another 15 if they want to win today…

6. JimT says:

I really don’t understand why Giardi should come under such criticism. But then again I didn’t understand the rush to get Torre out of town either. I think that the Yankees have played hard for Giardi all season. If you look back at the lack of organizational depth coupled with the range of injuries the Yankees have suffered this season its a testament to thier veterans that they stayed relevant as long as they have. This team despite its payroll has been poorly put together for at least the past four years. That responsibility rest with the front office and in particular the GM.

This team needs to get younger, deeper, more athletic and much better defensively. I could be wrong, but I don’t think giving tons of money to one or two FA and not addressing the team’s greater needs of depth will help in the long run.

Maybe its time to keep the manager and send the GM off to the “left coast”.

7. D.B. says:

bleich is starting for SI in the playoffs

8. Groundhoggator says:

No surprise… Posada 60 day DL and Traber DFA for Coke and Moeller.

9. Mike A. says:

Wow, I expected Pudge to get booed. Shows what I know.

10. Joey H says:

guys is this the same verlander, that guy who threw the no hitter not too long ago? definately not stuff wise but it is him right?

• Mike A. says:

That jump from 130 IP in 2005 to 207.2 IP in 2006 (including playoffs) is catching up with him. It’s not the next year that it hits you, it’s the year after that.

• Joey H says:

he always had good stuff. so i guess he’ll turn into a nono himself. i guess thats what happens when you gas your young pitchers.

11. Joey H says:

gay-rod is always good for a double play :) .. and is it me or is this a hitters park?

12. IvanS says:

Wow, is this team a juggernaut or what. Don’t try to stop the Yankee Express…

13. IvanS says:

OK, get this fat toad off the mound immediately. This would be a worse loss than saturday.

14. Pops says:

We might lose this game lol

15. Pops says:

Put in Aceves next inning

16. Pops says:

Cano for Billingsley ? Who would do it ?

17. 27 this year says:

I sense another good inning for the Yanks.

18. Pops says:

Jon Heyman said they would do it

19. Lancer says:

Did you guys see Peter Abe’s comments regarding Joba? He mentions there that Cashman said they’re intent on him being a starter next season, although it’ll still have to be discussed.

Anyone care to explain why the fuk they’d do that? He’s a goddamn starter, keep it that way!

• Lancer says:

This is the post I was referring to:

“JOBA UPDATE: He will be activated tomorrrow. Joe Girardi said they planned to use him out of the bullpen for the rest of the season because it’s too late to build him back up to start.

Brian Cashman (who is on the trip) said the intent is to have Joba return to starting next season. But he said it was something they had to further discuss.”

• Batty says:

Probably because since he got hurt this year and now has a inning deficiency they want to still baby him. Wrong move but a tad understandable.

• Mike A. says:

It’s just a matter of keeping his innings under control.

• Lancer says:

They can’t keep on switching his role around. His highest value is a starter, period.

I’ll go nuts if I see him start the year out of the pen.

20. Pops says:

Joel Sherman *** not john heyman sorry

21. giselle says:

i kinda want arod to hit into a triple play. i’d find it highly amusing.

22. 27 this year says:

If anybody wants a laugh, take a look at the Gameday for today’s game. They got Coke listed as a hitter not a pitcher.

23. Mike A. says:

It’s the third inning, those runs only count for half RBI’s.

24. Pops says:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08.....htm?page=0 This is an old article but a good one in my opinion. I like most of these ideas besides dealin Damon for Kotchman just becuz that would never happen cause ity would be the dumbest thing for the Braves to do. Idk bout dealin Hughes just yet. I like him too much. I would try Kennedy and others for a young 1b like votto tho evne tho that might be unrealistic. Id only deal Cano for Billingsley of those 3. I like O Dog but Cano is so young and so cheap for many years with so much more talent. Id prefer to keep Cano.

• bklynJT says:

I only wonder if the rest of the ML teams ranks our prospects/players as highly as we Yankee fans do. I know for sure that many fans of other teams think that most if not all of the proposed deals highly favor the Yankees in terms of value.

25. A.D. says:

Glad I didn’t start Verlander during fantasy playoff week

26. giselle says:

Those Raymour and Flanigan Furniture commercials are so effin’ creepy.

27. Joey H says:

there was an interesting article on MLBTR. it basically put joey votto at first cano off the team, signing o-dogg. did anyone see it? if i can find it ill link it

28. Steve says:

Holey shit was that the worst HR call you’ve ever heard? Hey Flaherty, don’t quit you . . . .oh, thats right. This IS his day job.

29. Steve H says:

This should lock it up as Sidney’s last start right?

30. Pops says:

joey h my link a few posts up is what you read

• Joey H says:

yea thats what it is. i like it, change the whole team. get a little less expensive. i hve been saying i like votto since when we played the reds and he put up good #’s. hes cheap. hes young. hes better.

31. Mike A. says:

Oh come on Cano. Glove all the way down, then bring it up if you have too. They teach you that in little league.

32. IvanS says:

Way to go Cano…it’s nice to see he has a short memory and doesn’t learn lessons.

33. Pops says:

ya know what i hate. When ppl say pedoia is so much better than cano. thats one thing that really pisses me off

• IvanS says:

I hate Pedroia and I think he’s a punk who needs to be plunked, but he would have had that play and saturday’s double play and every other bonehead play that Cano has screwed up this year.

• Steve H says:

Well unfortunately this year, there is no doubt it’s true

34. Pops says:

jesus edwar

35. Jon G says:

Man, I really hope this is the last we see of Ponson this season. There are several AAA pitchers who I’d be more confident in than him. Hell, at this point, Chase Wright – who’s had a great season – deserves it over Ponson. IPK has even been pitching well – if he can finish strong, that would be very nice. Granted, Giese will likely take the slot after he is activated, which I believe is today or tomorrow…

36. Steve says:

11-8.

Un

fucking

believable

37. Batty says:

Are they going to win this one? Damn.

38. Pops says:

Mike are teams limited to how many type A free agents they can sign

39. pete says:

is this seriously happening?

40. Slugger27 says:

whats up homies

41. BigBlueAL says:

I assume, of course you know what happens when you ASSume something, that Aceves will start Saturday when Ponson’s spot in the rotation comes around again.

42. Steve says:

Ooof. That was much harder than it should have been.

I love Edwar, but you have to bring him in to clean innings. He just sucks with inherited runners. Trouble with him is he doesn’t get hit all that much, but when he gets hit, he gets hit HARD.

43. Slugger27 says:

mike i had a question for u…. whats the deal with scott strickland?? every box score i look at it seems he does real well… there any talk about seeing what he can do at the big league level? how come his name is never mentioned?

44. bklynJT says:

Good ole Yankees, they never never seem to dissapoint…

45. Mike A. says:

I went to go take a shower and … oh forget it, I don’t even want to know what happened.

46. Pops says:

MAn if you want to read a post that will really piss you off. go to mlbtr and go down to the yanks offseason moves and click on it and jus read some of the ppls comments.. my god why does everyone hate everything bout the yankees

47. donttradecano says:

the yankees should not trade cano, yea hes made bad plays, but should they trade damon for every runner thats advanced a base because he had no arm? or jeter for not having range and letting balls get past him? or for ever double abreus given up because hes scared to hit the wall? or posada for all the runners that stole bases because he was hurt? or pettite for having all those bad starts when we needed him to come through?

48. Slugger27 says:

that pitch was piped

49. Mike A. says:

Big hit by the Cap’n.

50. Batty says:

Whew – wiggle room. Almost up to that 15 run mark ;)

51. Slugger27 says:

2 out rally???? WOW

52. Mike A. says:

I swear, I have never seen a batter come up with the bases loaded more than A-Rod. It’s amazing.

53. dkidd says:

i was just thinking that

54. dkidd says:

he’s like a figure out of greek myth, doomed to fail again and again

55. Slugger27 says:

at least the captain came thru there… hold it pen

56. Joey H says:

any chance of seeing coke today? hes up right

57. Mike A. says:

Congrats to Coke on finally getting to the bigs. I remember when he was getting his brains beat in with Charleston in 2005.

58. Batty says:

Let’s see what Coke has.

59. Mike A. says:

Nice inning by Coke. That slider’s a good enough pitch that he should be a decent LOOGY, if nothing else.

• THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

here’s hoping he continues to prove just that. might give the FO incentive to let marte walk and pick up the type A compensation …

60. Pedro says:

Nice debut for Coke. Good stuff.

61. Joey H says:

coke was a starter converted reliever right?

62. THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

damn, we got lucky. the tigers are pitching The Highlander tomorrow.

63. Joey H says:

marte showed alot of more grit that inning, almost like he wants so assume that 8th inning role undivided

64. What is Mel Hall doing these days? says:

OFF SUBJECT – But the recent success of Tampa Bay & the @!&# Red Sux bringing up their own players have me thinking:

The Overhyped Yankee Prospect Alumni Society (20+ years running)
    Orestes Destrade
    Hensley Meulens
    Ruben Rivera
    Bronson Sardinha
    Jackson Melian
    Eric Duncan
    Melky Cabrera

Hope this doesn’t turn into a 25 man roster. Feel free to copy/paste/use again or update through next season.

65. Slugger27 says:

thought for sure mo would come in

66. D.B. says:

hey mike,

what did you think of garcias aa debut?

67. Slugger27 says:

was that the first fastball hes throwin this inning?

68. Slugger27 says:

good game yanks

69. Slugger27 says:

mike, any chance at all ponson makes another start for us?

70. Manimal says:

God damn it! First I miss Aceves’s appearence and now I miss Phil Coke’s.

• Joey H says:

aceves was perfect i think i heard 17/19 strikes and coke gave up a hit to a batting crown hitter in ordonez but displayed a good breaking ball and struck out 2/4 hitters including his first

71. Manimal says:

yankees have a lot of young bullpen arms that they could trade to get something valuable back. Drob, Coke, maybe even Giese.

72. Hitman says:

Ponson kept us in this one.

73. bill says:

I hope today’s outing ended Sidney Ponson’s Yankee career

74. Pops says:

I WANNA SEE HUGHES PITCH MAN

75. Manimal says:

Holy crap guys, anyone with MLB at bat for ipod touch/iPhone needs to update it! It now has live gameday+boxscores, amazing!