Sep

Game 153: Do or die for Moose’s quest

If Mike Mussina wants to win 20 games this year, he has but one choice tonight. He must win. He will make three starts, counting this evening’s, before the season runs out. If he wins them all, 20 wins will be his.

Unfortunately for Mussina, he has done little winning lately. While the Yanks are 5-2 over his last seven starts, Moose has nailed down just two W’s in that period, and his ERA over that stretch of 43 innings is 4.81. Mussina will also attempt to keep his walk total lower than his number of games started. He has allowed 27 base-on-balls in 31 starts.

This could also be Moose’s last career start in Yankee Stadium for the Yankees. In his Yankee career, Moose is 69-38 with a 3.66 ERA in 125 starts.

Facing Mussina will be old friend Javier Vazquez. The former Yankee is 12-13 with a 4.13 ERA. In his only 2008 outing against the Yanks, Vazquez allowed 10 hits and six earned runs in 5.1 innings of work. Meanwhile, on the year, Javy’s allowed a hit per inning and has just a hair under a strike per inning. If you want to talk about the Yanks’ selling low, Vazquez should enter the conversation.

In other news, Juan Miranda makes his Major League debut tonight. He kills right-handed pitching.

Gardner CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
Rodriguez 3B
Giambi DH
Nady LF
Cano 2B
Miranda 1B
Molina C

Mussina P

Categories : Game Threads

1. Mike Pop says:

Hope Miranda goes deep

2. 1996 Yankee Alumni Society says:

Good luck Mike! If nothing else 20 wins might make Steve Phillips think of Mussina
    as a HOF pitcher (like the way Phillips’ feels about his broadcast partner
    Orel Hershiser. Good God in heaven). Is anti-Yankee bias the only reason Phillips has a job at ESPN?

Peace!

3. pat says:

im actually pretty pumped to see miranda

4. Manimal says:

God damn it! Just when I get ready to do homework and ignore the useless and pitiful games, Juan miranda is starting and now i need to watch the game. Thanks Yankees. Gardner is also up to leadoff again. That melky guy didnt really work out.

5. Manimal says:

OH YEAH mike, I JUST got promoted to the NHL, I shot 3 pucks off the crossbar in my first game. some luck.

• Mike A. says:

Nice. My record in my Dynasty is 4-6-0-5 or so. I was having serious trouble scoring with the manual aiming, but I’m starting to get the hang of it.

Heh, it’s funny. At first I was shooting way wide, then I was shooting just a little wide, then I was hitting the iron, and now they’re starting to go in.

My record would be way worse without Holmqvist, he’s a man amongst boys in net.

• Manimal says:

Haha I’m still getting used to it to, It seems like in the AHL I got the hang of it then in the NHL the Defense is just that much tighter that you miss barely.

6. Mike Pop says:

Hoorah !!! for home homegrown talent

• Manimal says:

Look at the list the past two years of home grown talent that was called up. Pretty impressive. Probably better than the redsox in that span.

7. Ivan says:

Man I knew having a job was rough but damn it can be just draining on the body.

8. E-ROC says:

I will actually get to watch this game on WGN-Chicago. Lucky me!

Baldelli/Miranda platoon at DH next year? Sounds like a plan to me.

9. Mike Pop says:

i wanna see a brett gard home run

10. Mike Pop says:

Try being a busboy man shit is rough

11. Mike Pop says:

Is Tex gonna top that 140 mill deal that Texas offered him ?

12. Mike Pop says:

102 yrs old god bless him

13. Mike Pop says:

Ill say no too mussina shut him down so type A dont go away

• Mike A. says:

He’s pretty locked into that. Nothing he does in his last few starts should change that now.

• Mike Pop says:

You agree tho right… Hes been much different lately. I love what hes done but i could not give him a 2 yr deal after what ive seen in the second half… My dad is the best hes like he throws garbage up there idk how he gets ppl out

14. Manimal says:

Damon was granted a day off to spend time with his wife, Michelle, who just had a baby girl, Danica.

15. Ivan says:

I don’t know about you guys but I wanna see players that interest me. Like Miranda, Hughes, Joba, Robertson and etc.

16. giselle says:

it seems odd to see pitchers blowing on their hands. although it was kinda cold out today.

17. Mike Pop says:

I really hope we deal Damon tho sell high ya know

18. E-ROC says:

Mussina ain’t missing many bats.

19. Manimal says:

Where is sexson’s 6 foot 8 reach when you need it

20. Mike Pop says:

I cant beleive Bedard thats wild lets give him a 3 yr deal worth 12 mill

21. giselle says:

i bet 50 cents that javy vazquez has a 10-pitch inning.

22. Jamal G. says:

Did Al Leiter just say Javier Vazquez is second in the Major Leagues in K’s since 2000 (Randy Johnson)?

23. Mike Pop says:

Lol @ Michael Kay talking bout Pavano

24. Mike Pop says:

Bobby !

25. E-ROC says:

That was pretty.

26. giselle says:

damn that ball was smoked! yea bobby!

27. Mike Pop says:

Vazquez dont give up HR’s eh

28. giselle says:

who is this team and what have they done with the 2008 yankees?

29. Mike Pop says:

Random thought—Mark Prior ??? Has he done anything since he signed with the Padres ?? does he have any gas left in the tank

30. E-ROC says:

‘He gone!’ LOL, that has to be one of the coolest phrases in broadcasting.

31. Mike Pop says:

Could Tino be the next GM ?

• Chip says:

After next season’s WS championship, Girardi will probably be around for awhile :)

• Mike Pop says:

Lol but hes the manager my dude

• Chip says:

My bad, I’m dumb. What qualifications does Tino have to be a GM? I don’t think being a former player has as much to do with being GM rather than the skipper

• Mike Pop says:

Idk im just saying isnt he like a special assistant or something

• Steve says:

He would be the handsomest GM in Baseball, and all the other GM’s would follow him around just hoping to get some of his sloppy seconds.

So he could negotiating a deal with Billy Beane like this

TM-”I really want that top prospect you have”
            BB-”Sorry, but I can’t. We really need him and he’s going to be great”
            TM-”I’ll let you hang out with me at the Mall”
            BB-”Deal!!”

32. Ivan says:

I still wouldn’t trade Cano.

33. Illustrious says:

Asking here because some might have baseball experience… after a bad first inning, is it possible for a pitcher to go back in the clubhouse and kind of mentally fix his “stuff” for the night? Or is what he has what he has, generally speaking?

• Chip says:

“Stuff” changes from pitch to pitch for me. I would sometimes hang a curve one pitch and then throw a filthy one right at the spot I was going for the next. The part you get back on the bench is more about control, you have a chance to calm down a bit

• Illustrious says:

Interesting. I’ve almost always heard MLB pitchers refer to their “stuff” as being pretty much the same all night, e.g. “I had good stuff today,” “I didn’t have my best stuff today.” Good and bad “stuff” is an interesting phenomenon to me, as someone who’s never thrown a pitch off a mound.

• Chip says:

Well yeah, there were definitely nights I could feel like I was going to dominate and other nights that I couldn’t get a ball to break if my life depended on it. I still say that “stuff” changes all the time though. You can go through pretty much any start and see a pitcher just nailed a corner with a curveball or something. When you’re on, that just happens more often

• Steve says:

Generally speaking, a pitcher is trying to figure out two things in the first inning.

1-Whats working for him that night

2-What the ump is calling for strikes

Once he has those two things nailed down, he’s in business. Thats why you don’t go nuts over guys who have shaky 1st innings. Lots a great, veteran pitchers do. Its all about making the adjustments.

34. Ivan says:

I remember when Girardi hit that Triple in the 96 WS, I was so hyped and watching that crowed going insane was one of those moments that made me a yankee fan.

35. E-ROC says:

Miranda coming up!

36. Jamal G. says:

I can really see why people hate Derek Jeter, the way people talk about him is nauseating at times.

37. Chip says:

Good ole AA Scranton

38. Chip says:

Well that was anti-climatic

39. Mike A. says:

Miranda must be a Mario Lemeuix fan.

40. Samsonov KGB says:

well he has an obp………

41. Illustrious says:

Bunting with Gardner up next? Okay…

42. Samsonov KGB says:

miranda slid real early

43. Jamal G. says:

God Damn, George King is a fucking idiot. He actually mentioned Jake Peavy is a trade candidate for the Yankees this off-season. Yes, I’m sure Kevin Towers will be chomping at the bit to trade Peavy. You know, Jake Peavy, the guy who is under contract for the next five seasons at a total of $78M (2009 club option for $8M, 2013 club option for $22M) and the guy who is the reigning NL Cy Young Award winner.

• Mike A. says:

They are looking to shed payroll. They could clean house if they trade Peavy, at least 3 quality young players. Cano, Hughes and Jackson would be a starting point.

• Mike Pop says:

Would you give up Cano Hughes and Jackson for him I dont think I could

• Chip says:

Probably not but that’s where they’ll start. I bet they could get Cano, Hughes and Coke for him. That could be pretty decent from what we’ve seen from Coke thus far. You figure at least you get a young starting 2B who could be great, at least a number 3 starter with serious upside and a lefty reliever who could be a pretty good starter

• mascot says:

Absolutely. He’s terrific and only 27. Feels like he’s been around forever.

• Ivan says:

Persoanlly I wouldn’t trade those guys for Peavy. His #’s are not as great considering he plays in the best pitcher’s ballpark and pitch in a weaker league specifically a weaker division. He’s a very good pitcher though.

• Jamal G. says:

According to MLBTR, via Buster Olney, the Padres want to cut their 2009 payroll to around $50M. At $73M now, the loss of Brian Giles and Trevor Hoffman would be about half that $23M drop.

I don’t know, I just can’t see why they would entertains erious offers for Peavy when they are in that division. A couple savvy moves and they could be right back where they were in 2008, on the cusp of October baseball.

• Mike Pop says:

Bobby !!! Hot Damn but i dont think they will trade him for at least 2 years because if he stays decent they could still get a good haul when he nears FA

• Ivan says:

There not trading Peavy period, even if they are shedding payroll.

44. Illustrious says:

I feel like the Yanks should be hammering Vazquez a lot harder than they are. All I know is that I want like 6+ER given up by him tonight. Thanks for 2004, Javy.

45. E-ROC says:

Bobby Abreu bringing out the power stroke tonight.

46. Samsonov KGB says:

zack hample almost caught anotgher hr ball it was pretty close to him

• giselle says:

crazy. i cant believe he can ask for a ball in 27 different languages or whatever… he said it perfectly in spanish and italian.

he does come off as a bit of a fraud carrying around gear from both teams, though.

• Mike A. says:

I’ve caught one ball in my life. Actually, it was more like I was the first to grab it off the ground. Darryl Strawberry in BP, about 20 years ago, RF seats in Shea.

47. Jamal G. says:

Bobby Abreu is really making me fight myself on whether he should be allowed to walk or not. I know the Yanks need to get younger and better defensively (and the extra couple of draft picks wouldn’t hurt), but damn, this guy is pretty fucking important to the 2009 and 2010 Yankees.

• Mike Pop says:

I agree Bobby is a solid hitter and despite his troubles defensively i think hes got at least one more good year of baseball left him him for the yankeees

• mascot says:

Everyone would want him back if he were the DH.

• Ivan says:

I think Abreu gets underrated by yanks fans. He’s been one of the better hitters in big spots and he still has a good eye at the plate and can hit very well.

• Chip says:

Problem is, who do you start? You could play Damon in center, Matsui/Nady in left and then Damon in center. I think the Yankees would like an outfield of Matsui/Damon in left, Gardner in center (with A-Jax on the way) and Nady in right. Besides, Bobby isn’t coming back for one year, he’ll have much better offers

48. Mike Pop says:

Id give em 50 mill and some B prospects hah

49. Ivan says:

I have a feeling that AJ Burnett is gonna be a yankee next season. CC is far from a lock to sign with Yanks and While I like Sheets, the yanks might avoid him especially with the “stiff forearm”.

50. Mike Pop says:

If we dont land any of the FA guys would you make a deal for Duke in Oakland

• Jamal G. says:

Nah, played over his head this year and Billy Beane wont deal him for what he’s worth.

• Mike Pop says:

So what would u do go in with what we had this year ?

• Jamal G. says:

To be frank, what I really want o do is kind of just go through a rebuilding year next season. Offer arbitration to Mike Mussina and Bobby Abreu (hopefully Mussina declines), try our best to find the fairest value for Johnny Damon and anything significant for Hideki Matsui, and decline the option on Damarso Marte and try to coup another Type A compensation.

Realistically, that shit ain’t happening. So I think I would do my best homework on Ben Sheets and if I’m confident in his long-term health, I’d sign him and Derek Lowe instead of Ben Sheets to three and four-year deals at the most, respectively. I also would take a look at Mike Cameron, see if I can get him on a two-year deal to be a stopgap for Austin Jackson and insurance for Rocco Baldelli if he makes sense, financially. For First Base I would go with a platoon of Juan Miranda and Xavier Nady and not risk offering arbitration to Jason Giambi.

51. Jamal G. says:

Michael Kay is such a douche.

52. Mike Pop says:

The Mick !!!

53. E-ROC says:

LMAO, this dude is stealing paint chips off the left field foul pole and keeping them as souvenirs.

54. Jamal G. says:

Saw “Burn After Reading” this afternoon, I really liked it. It’s a nice movie, to put it simply. Something you go to see if you just want to see a movie, not nothing you should really care about missing out on or anything like that.

The story makes you say: “Are you fucking kidding me?” in a lighthearted sort of way.

Brad Pitt and John Malkovich were really good in this one.

• Steve says:

You seem to be a big movie buff. I don’t know why, but for whatever reason when people sit around talking about movies, those conversations just seem to go nowhere.

There was a local radio show all about movies (with a critic I liked) a few years back and it was the most boring show I’ve ever heard. Every call would go like this-
      “I saw that ‘blah blah’ movie last night. I really liked it. ”
      “Yeah, I saw that too. It was pretty good.”
      “Yeah . . . . uh-huh . . . . ”
      “OK, thanks for the call”

Mike and the Mad Dog would mix in movie talk occasionally and it was the same thing. I don’t understand why that is.

55. Mike Pop says:

got it right !

56. Mike Pop says:

MY dad is a hughe Mantle fan was his favorite player. Still thinks he could of been better than Willie Mays.. I know everything there is too know bout Mantle cuz of him lol… Mantle was awesome tho such a cool name too

57. Mike Pop says:

The Giants have decided to keep Tim Lincecum on four days’ rest next week to give him two more starts after tonight.

Getting a Cy Young Award apparently trumps the hopes of the Giants’ franchise going forward. Lincecum should have pitched only once more because of the Giants’ off day Monday, but he’ll go Tuesday and Sunday. Jonathan Sanchez loses a start as a result. This likely means that Lincecum will finish with the year at 225-230 innings pitched. The Giants shut him down after 177 1/3 innings in 2007. Courtesy of Rotoworld

Man they are working him huh

• Jamal G. says:

Not to mention that pitch-count wise, he is the most abused pitcher in the Major Leagues. Matt Cain is fifth. Bruce Bochy, ladies and gentlemen, Bruce Bochy.

• Mike Pop says:

And look at Matt Cain struggling hard this year

• BklynJt says:

Let’s see how this affects Lincecum next year. If Lincecum doesnt suffer any ill effects from the high innings/pitch counts this year, the debate on pitch counts will have some new light. Lincecum supposedly has a very solid delivery and people will try to argue that it’s not the increase in pitch counts that causes the injury but faults in pitchers mechanics.

58. Chip says:

HE WALKED!!!

59. Mike A. says:

Holy shit I think Ben just caught that Cano near homer. Either that or the dude looks just like him.

60. Chip says:

That was strike three on Molina

61. giselle says:

what about getting a hole in one in golf? i bet thats harder than hitting a baseball, michael kay.

62. Chip says:

How is Gardner supposed to steal second now?

• Steve says:

I thought everyone said “You can’t steal first” about him.

Now he’s supposed to steal SECOND as well?

Where does it end with you people?

63. E-ROC says:

Well, that works.

64. Mike Pop says:

Bobby hits this than hits a 3 run homer next time up and gets the hr cycle

65. E-ROC says:

Here is my homework; what do ya think?:

Post your response to the following discussion question by clicking on Reply. Your response should be between 200-300 words.

Discuss recent reform efforts at the intercollegiate level to emphasize the term student in the student-athlete identity. College sport reform is discussed on pp. 77-79 of the text.

* Do you think college athletes should be compensated for their athletic prowess either through paychecks or other rewards?
    * Speculate how paying and rewarding athletes could both positively and negatively affect intercollegiate athletics.

• Mike Pop says:

Whats ur major ?

• Mike A. says:

* Fuck no.
      * They would just become spoiled brats that much sooner. God forbid someone out there still plays for the love of the game. There’s a reason why the CWS is so great while the WS sucks ass.

• Jamal G. says:

1. Yes, college athletes should be compensated in a monetary form. One way would be to set up a trust fund that can only be accessed if the student-athlete graduates or reaches some combination of athletic and academic achievements.

2. One way that would have both a positive and negative aspect is recruiting. Having financial benefits for the student-athletes (SA) would allow for cross-country schools to recruit SA’s more effectively from across the country. For example, USC would have a greater chance to sign a player from Florida because they can recruit a player from outside of their normal talent pool.

The addition of monetary benefits could affect recruiting negatively because now schools like Rutgers, who has limited reach as is (sorry Joe), will basically have zero chance to recruit any top-level talents because now they will be outbid by the top schools on both a field level and financial level.

It can also positively affect intercollegiate athletics because now SA’s will see getting their college education is of greater benefit than it was in the past. No longer are they forfeiting every single cent they would earn in the next three or four years just to attend school, they would be getting money and the added bonus of a college education.

*That’s just off the top of my head, so sorry for the rough thesis and all.

66. Mike A. says:

Where the fuck has this team been all year?

67. giselle says:

damn that bobby’s on fire!

68. Chip says:

Now this is fun

69. Samsonov KGB says:

right through the legs

70. Mike A. says:

All I ask is that they go into Fenway that last series with a chance to knock the Sox out of the playoffs. That’s the Yanks’ postseason right there.

• giselle says:

thats basically the only reason i look at the standings anymore. to see if that possibility still exists. its not looking to good, though.

• mustang says:

Mike A. you just gave me a reason to watch Yankees baseball. You’re a genius it would actually give meaning to this waste of a month I’m asking right with you.

• mustang says:

I just saw the standings.
      LOL
      Good luck with that back to the Heroes premiere.

71. Samsonov KGB says:

pleaseeeee let miranda get up there

72. Mike A. says:

Hey, the more runs they score, the more likely Humberto pitches.

73. Mike A. says:

Kay: “John did you ever go 0 for 2 in one inning?”

Flaherty: “Oh yeah.”

Kay: “Isn’t that like the worst feeling in the world?”

Flaherty: … fuck you Michael.

74. Mike Pop says:

Ya i wanna see Humberto

75. Mike A. says:

Ben just replied to my text. He’s sitting in LF, so no, he didn’t catch Cano’s near homer.

76. Illustrious says:

Gardner’s routes to the ball are pretty terrible.

77. Jamal G. says:

Kudos to Yankee Stadium playing “Disturbia” by Rihanna. I love that video.

78. Samsonov KGB says:

cano looks funny with his legs closed, but hey its working

79. Mike Pop says:

Cmon Juan !!!

80. steve (different one) says:

i’d like to see miranda smoke one here

81. Jamal G. says:

Who the hell said Juan Miranda was slim last night? Dude his brolic as hell.

82. Mike Pop says:

When Kay gets going he dont stop

83. Steve says:

Its really a culture shock to watch a CF cover so much ground. Its something I haven’t seen in years, if at all.

Damon is an average CF, Bernie had good speed but usually got a bad jump. Ricky Henderson might have been the last really good, fast CF we’ve had. I don’t remember how good Roberto Kelly, Claudell Washington or Mickey Rivers were.

Actually, come to think of it Bubba Crosby had really good speed as well.

84. E-ROC says:

Molina damn near had a hernia trying to hit that first pitch.

85. Samsonov KGB says:

whats the record for most consecutive walks to start a career?

86. E-ROC says:

RBI single for Brett Gardner.

87. Ivan says:

Clay Buchholz is going to the AZL.

88. Illustrious says:

Can Kay stop treating the broadcast as an interview?

• Steve says:

MK-”Al, do you think Jeter just blocks all those cameras out? Being such a big star, do you think he’s used to it?”

AL-”Oh yeah. You have to block that stuff out. Comes with the territory.”

MK-”Oh please, Al. Like you have any idea what its like to be Derek Jeter. Who the fuck do you think you’re kidding?”

89. Jamal G. says:

No offense to Derek Jeter, but Steve Spagnuolo is still the “King of New York” in my mind.

90. Joey says:

Mike, I’ve been trying to see the updated BA Tops Prospects by league, but this page hasn’t been updated: http://www.baseballamerica.com.....66854.html

I haven’t looked around the site yet to see if it’s just that page though

91. E-ROC says:

Damn, it’s STILL the 5th inning!

92. Mike A. says:

So … do we want to starting taking bets on how the Mets’ pen is going to blow this one?

93. giselle says:

why is alex rodriguez blonde? why?

94. Steve says:

You see that color all the time in Chelsea bars.

95. Samsonov KGB says:

lol hahaha funniest shit kay ever said.

96. Ivan says:

Hey Mike you see Buchholz breaking out alla Lester? And overall who ya breakout players in 09?

97. Jamal G. says:

I can’t wait for the day when someone (preferably Kim Jones) makes a fat joke about Kay.

Seriously though, Kay has gained a significant amount of weight. I think it was 2007 when he just blew up.

98. Chip says:

Resign that guy!

99. Jamal G. says:

Anybody check out Gym Class Heroes’ latest album, The Quilt? Fucking sick. My favorites are:

Peace Sign/Index Down
    Cookie Jar
    Live Forever (Fly With Me)
    Home (Madden 2009 song)

Hip-hop fan or not, this album is nasty.

100. E-ROC says:

Just missed that pitch. Dammit! Next time, maybe next time.

101. Pedro says:

Are they going to unleash Humberto tonight?

102. Tripp says:

Is it me or has Pete Abe turned into a complete d-bag? Does he even enjoy covering the Yanks?

103. Mike A. says:

I just realized that that might have been the final home game in Mike Mussina’s Yankee career. Wow.

***stands and applauds***

104. Samsonov KGB says:

moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooose!

105. Steve says:

I think thats the last time we’ll see him pitch as a Yankee. Glad to see him get a win tonight.

Thanks for the memories, Mike.

106. Samsonov KGB says:

i was at his july 23rd start this year, probably the best of his year

107. E-ROC says:

I didn’t know France produced big league players.

108. E-ROC says:

C’mon Veras, people gots things to do.

109. Jamal G. says:

Not for nothing, but with the way Chien-Ming Wang bounced back before his injury, the way the Mike Mussina v2008 was pitching and the way Joba Chamberlain was pitching as a starter, I would’ve had no qualms matching those three up against any rotation in baseball.

• Steve says:

I think even if we were totally healthy this year, we were still a bit short in the rotation. IPK and Hughes just weren’t ready, Joba had innings limits even without getting hurt and Moose is shaky at his age. He had a few games this year where he barely got out of the 1st inning. Although if the season was a month longer, we could have had a great rotation if Hughes is for real.

But even then we get back to the lineup, which hasn’t scored runs all year. Just not our year, and I’m glad were finally going to address some things that have been a LONG time coming.

• Ivan says:

Wang, Joba, Hughes, FA pitcher, Pettitte/Moose.

That is a pretty good rotation.

• Manimal says:

makes this offseason just that much more interesting.

110. Mike A. says:

Humbertooooooooooooooo!!!

111. steve (different one) says:

hungry hungry humberto is warming!!

112. Steve says:

Yes! The big man coming in.

Anyone that big (6’6″ 230 lbs) should seriously have a nickname by now.

113. Steve says:

Lee Mazzilli

Biggest douche who ever lived?

114. Ivan says:

HUMBERTO!!!

115. Samsonov KGB says:

cervelli….any good? all i know is that he is probably the reason the rays are competing this year

116. Jamal G. says:

Nasty looking hook by Humberto.

• Steve says:

Seriously. You could see the hitters knees buckle on a few of them. He throws and extra slow curve, and a good hard fastball. His size should make him harder to pick up as well.

I heard when we got him he was a 2-seamer ground ball guy like Wang, but what I saw looked like 4 seamers and curves to me.

117. steve says:

Random question:

What would it take to get one of the 3 catchers from Texas (Salty/Ramirez/Teagarden) and Chris Davis? I assume Hughes would have to be the centerpiece – which I would be very willing to do for those guys.

• Mike A. says:

They need all sorts of pitching. Hughes, Kennedy and Robertson for Teagarden and Davis?

• steve (different one) says:

is catching really a big enough need to move Hughes for? i know you included Davis, who is interesting. just saying, the yankees are pretty deep organizationally at catcher.

• Mike A. says:

I agree. I’d rather move Hughes for an up-the-middle guy that can really defend, not a guy already relegated to first because he sucks defensively, no matter how good the bat is.

My new kick is defense, so important yet so under-rated.

• Steve says:

And so tough to gauge statistically.

Have you softened on Brett Gardner at all? His bat is a work in progress, but he’s saved about 3 doubles and a few singles in the past week. If he can suppress a few runs a week, then he could be a valuable guy and more productive than his hitting stats would show.

118. Mike A. says:

ZOMG HE’S ONLY THROWING TEH 94!!1!!!11

119. steve (different one) says:

FILTHY

120. Mike A. says:

I see Uncle Charlie came to dinner.

121. E-ROC says:

And he can run!

122. steve (different one) says:

look at him run!!

123. Samsonov KGB says:

new nickname for humberto………….dirty sanchez, because that last pitch was naty! lol

124. Rob D. says:

I’m officially in the Humberto bandwagon. All it took was that pitch.

125. Ivan says:

Feels like a minorleague game, Sanchez, Miranda and Cevelli.

126. D.B. says:

i miss Dotf, but now it seem as if it has followed into the majors

• Mike A. says:

That’s the best part. Seeing these kids you’ve been following for so long finally make it. I remember when Phil Coke had a near 6.00 ERA in Low-A and was on the brink of being released. Look at him now.

• Steve says:

Would that be the same Phil Coke who was drafted in the 2002 draft in the 26th Round (786th overall)?

Some prospects you completely forget about, give up on them and then all of a sudden BOOM something clicks in. Its really amazing.

127. Jack says:

Evan Longoria has hit three bombs so far.

128. Mike A. says:

First player in Yankee history to wear 77. Must be a Ray Bourque fan.

129. Ivan says:

I hope they let Humberto pitch another inning.

130. Ivan says:

Why Chris Britton? He’s garbage.

131. Mike A. says:

There’s only 4 players in the majors with a listed weight heavier than Humberto: CC, Broxton, Jenks and Britton. Three of the five fattest players in baseball are in the house.

132. E-ROC says:

Betemit wastes no time with his AB.

Britton is upping his trade value with this 9th inning appearance.

• Steve says:

I know he’s small potatoes, but Betemit has to go next year.

He’s a utility infielder who you can’t find a spot for defensively.

133. D.B. says:

Smells like cookies?!?!!?
    wonderbread..?

134. Ivan says:

Wow that’s pretty cool seeing all those young guys giving eacher pounds and stuff.

135. scottnar says:

when is the last time anyone can ever remember the yankees acting the royals and pirates do every september by playing the kids and seeing what they have for the future? this could be a silver lining in an other wise dark cloud of a season

136. Jamal G. says:

I like seeing opponents held to one run or less. Fuck you, Chris Britton.

137. E-ROC says:

Dammit Britton, you’re messing up your trade value.

138. Ivan says:

Chris Britton fits nicely with the mets pen.

139. Will (the other one) says:

I know this is a little off-topic, but is it me, or does Britton’s Gameday pic look like somebody snapped it at the height of a bad case of Bell’s palsy?

140. Jamal G. says:

LoL @ Adam Everett with a go-ahead RBI-2B.

141. Mike A. says:

Look at that, they clinched a winning record. Not all is lost.

142. E-ROC says:

You can barely see Britton’s eyes.

143. Ivan says:

Yankees Win.

144. cupz says:

Am I the only one that gets that extra bit of enjoyment from watching morbidly obese pitchers. I kind of feel like, “good for you. You can’t run 100 meters, but you can still technically be a profesional athlete.”

145. Cam says:

Not for nothing, but if the change Cano made to his stance is the thing that gets him on the right path to becoming a consistent, more professional hitter, it will be the best thing that Kevin Long has accomplished.