Oct

Report: Cubs may usher in new Stadium

In a rather tersely worded missive, the AP reports that the Yanks and Cubs may inaugurate the new Yankee Stadium with an exhibition series during the first weekend in April. The official home opener is set for April 16 when the Indians come to town. I wonder which luminary the Yanks will tab to toss out the ceremonial first pitch at the new digs.

Categories : Asides, Yankee Stadium

1. UWS says:

I think Ol’ George would be most appropriate if he’s up to it. It being the House That He Built and all…

2. E-ROC says:

George Steinbrenner?

Derek Jeter?

3. Bronx Cheer says:

President Obama?

4. Baseballnation says:

How about the creators of Riveraveblues throw out the first pitch…Either that or Tina Fey who is one funny hot chick. “I can see Alaska from my house!”

5. So where can I buy my tickets?

6. A.D. says:

Either George, or one of the old time Yanks or a bunch of them together, Whitey, Yogi, etc

7. Please not Ruth’s daughter. That is so stupid. It’s not Ruth.

FWIW, Whitey should throw and Yogi should catch it.

8. Alright, I got it. Let’s do it big. In the first home game, I want all these people to throw out ceremonial first pitches using gold-leaf covered baseballs with diamond-encrusted seams.

George Steinbrenner
    Hank Steinbrenner
    Jennifer Love Hewitt
    Tricia Nixon, Richard Nixon’s daughter
    Cheryl Howard, Elston Howard’s daughter (I’d hit that)
    Marvin Miller
    one of Curt Flood’s kids
    some of the grandkids from the actors in “No, No, Nannette”
    Frank Gifford
    Mayor Mike Bloomberg
    Deputy Mayor and CEO of NYC 2012 Dan Doctoroff
    Les Moonves, CEO of CBS, Inc.
    Kenneth D. Lewis, CEO of Bank of America, Inc.
    Mike Rawlings, CEO of Legends Hospitality Management, LLC
    August Busch IV, CEO of Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc.
    Michael Rice, Owner of Utz Quality Foods, Inc.
    Mitchell Cypress, Chairman of the Seminole Tribe of Florida (owners of the Hard Rock Café)
    Malcolm Glazer, Owner of Manchester United, F.C.
    Dr. Herbert Lütkestratkötter, CEO & Chairman of Hochtief AG (parent company of Turner Construction)
    US Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson
    Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke
    Edmund C. Moy, Director of the United States Mint
    Hassanal Bolkiah, the Sultan of Brunei (‘cause he’s rich and I’m sure he owns some of this shit somehow)
    The Count from Sesame Street (since we invented uniform numbers)
    Abner Doubleday (dig his baseball-inventing ass up)
    Bob Watson (just to fuck with Chris C.)
    Liza Minelli
    Brian Boehringer
    Mariano Rivera, Jr.
    Jesus Christ
    Me

9. Aaron says:

I’d put my money on Yogi being the “chosen one” for this occasion. I mean, what still living Yankee legend has done more for the team?

10. Gary says:

Yogi cannot throw out the first ball. The long, laborious walk in from the outfield to home plate during the closing ceremonies at Shea Stadium that the 86-year old Berra had to endure by the classless Mets with the ever curmudgeonly Willie Mays did him in.