Dec

Bernie hurt in winter ball

Via PeteAbe, Bernie Williams suffered what was described as a serious quad injury while playing winter ball in Puerto Rico. Bernie was trying to win a spot on a Puerto Rican WBC team, but it looks like this injury ends the comeback attempt. I was rooting for Bernie to make the team just to see him play one more time, and I wish him a speedy recovery. Bernie had been 1 for 7 with two strikeouts before the injury.

Categories : Asides

1. deezer says:

What’s the big deal? The last couple years, he played CF like he had a serious quad injury anyway.

(Still like Bernie. Hope he gets to play again…)

2. Jeremy says:

Sadly, this has to be the end for Bernie. He can’t get a MLB job and he won’t be a contender for the next WBC. I suppose he could go the independent league route, like Henderson and Canseco, but that doesn’t seem like Bernie’s style.

3. mustang says:

This is where you have to give Mussina lots of credit he walked away after a good year knowing that it’s best to leave on your terms.
    Bernie didn’t realize this that sometimes it’s just best to let it go, but I can’t image how hard that must be.

• anonymous says:

If Pettitte goes to LA I expect Mussina to get a mid season call up.

• pounder says:

Agreed.He keeps himself in great shape.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

If he still wants that ring it might be a way at it. Then again Donnie got offered the same kinda thing half way thru the 96 season and again at the end and never did it.

I could seriously see Moose just staying at home and you almost never hear from him again unless its old timers day.

4. Ben K. says:

This is a pretty sad trainwreck. For a seemingly smart guy, Bernie never knew when to quit.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I never got why all these older guys would play themselves by staying when their career was obviously over. But then in the last few years I got a lil older myself and started seeing it through a different lens.

Here is the reason why he could not and many others could not leave. Somebody is still telling them they are great (their wife, people in the organization, some fans, family, etc) , somebody is still willing to give them tons of money (in real world dollars), and playing baseball in MLB is better than any other job there is out there.

I remember when I was young hearing Whitey Ashburn on TV say that he told Mike Schmidt (this was in the early 80s) to make them (them being MLB, the Phillies etc) tear the uniform off his back. Whitey quit prematurely and always ended up regretting it in some way even though he achieved possibly more in baseball as an announcer in the broadcast booth.

5. Tom Zig says:

Bernie, come play for the Long Island Ducks!

6. Nady Nation says:

Who cares? Bernie’s so overrated. Mattingly’s better anyway

7. Klemy says:

Bernie, I wish you the best man. I have a lot of great memories of your years of service, but this is the end my friend.

8. Peter Quintiliani says:

Yeah, This kind of desire to play makes me wonder why more players at the end of their carears dont forgo the money and just realize they are blessed to have a chance to play in iconic statiums like NY and else where.

9. J.R. says:

Just a thought, but this might be his way of quiting.

Seeing that just a couple of days ago it was mentioned that he was a “longshot”. If the WBC manager goes to bernie and tells him that he won’t be on the team as more than a reserve outfielder, what is the best way for Bernie not to embareass himself? He’s already gone through a public humiliation of a non guaranteed invite.

So announce a “serious” injury and fade away. It jsut seems a little conveinent for me.

10. D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

Read this earlier at LoHud. Not a surprise but a shame. I was hoping he would have enough left to give it a real shot at playing as he seemed to want so very much to do it.

Baseball is not a sport where guys can really come back from years off too easily especially at that age.

Anybody going to SUNY on here? Hop up in a music class, Bern Baby Bern might be up in there with you. Might be your best way to forge a friendship with a member of the great dynasty teams of the Yanks.